Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Rattles, Clunks and other odd Noises

ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
I can say from the few road trips I have taken in my 2005 Dark Cherry GXP (Our 5 year old calls it purple) I believe GM's mileage estimates. I've gotten ~ 27mpg on the hwy. Around town, commuting has been 15-18mpg. (Its worse now as the metro area makes the stations serve up gas w/10% ethanol Nov - March - my mileage has typically dropped 10%+) Heavy foot = very bad mileage; but still much better than my 68 Dodge(383 HO) got way back when.

As for the hum, I don't know if I have it. I can't hear anything that registers as odd with the car on/off. I have had a slight hearing lost since High School, but not bad enough to need correction. Maybe I got lucky? I do have the Monsoon stereo...

Comments

• tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    the hum/hiss that's being tossed around isn't a big deal. IMO, it's being blown out of proportion given it's only there once you open the car up and sit in it. it's gone once the car is started.

so it's not like you're listening to mello music with a hiss or hum in the background. not unless you've upgraded to an aftermarket amp for the stock stereo and used some cheap gain controls or RCA converters. I've heard systems like that and can't figure why folks don't just use the good stuff.
  • dembratsdembrats Member Posts: 8
    "the hum/hiss that's being tossed around isn't a big deal. IMO, it's being blown out of proportion given it's only there once you open the car up and sit in it. it's gone once the car is started.

so it's not like you're listening to mello music with a hiss or hum in the background. not unless you've upgraded to an aftermarket amp for the stock stereo and used some cheap gain controls or RCA converters. I've heard systems like that and can't figure why folks don't just use the good stuff."

Speak for yourself. :) I'm glad to hear that not everyone has the same problem, but mine is NOT gone when the car is started, and I definitely have a hum while listening to mellow music. No upgrades here, either. Everything stock.

My only solution so far is to always have the radio on with music of the non-mellow variety... :)
    then I would say you definitely have some interference somewhere and would have the dealer compare it to another GXP without the noise and go from there.....if the dealer absolutely can't fix it I would push the issue and have them contract with a good stereo shop to fix it.

"Speak for yourself. I'm glad to hear that not everyone has the same problem, but mine is NOT gone when the car is started, and I definitely have a hum while listening to mellow music. No upgrades here, either. Everything stock. "
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    Tlauro: Easier said than done. Maybe you aren't as fussy with your car as other people are. In the Northeast I think our cars cost more than in Ohio. Now, first of all, the dealers aren't going to contract with a "good stereo shop to fix it." They would do the work at the dealership and if you take it on your own, it is not covered by the warranty. Anyway it's not the dealer's problem; it's GM's problem, and their reply is "It is not harmful, there is no remedy at this time so it doesn't get fixed." Well, my reply is "No more GM cars after having bought five." I just received a notice from GM that they will be sending me a report to fill out, signed by some VP in charge of marketing and advertising so I will really tell them exactly how I feel about this. Just because they put the piece of "junk" in the 2005's; the piece of junk should not have been put in the 2006 when they were aware of the problematic speaker system. My recourse -- no more GM cars. And let me re-emphasize this is not being blown out of proportion. Just because it doesn't bother you, it bothers other people, like me. I guess you just aren't too fussy with your cars!!
  • rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
    You might want to give the BBB a try. It's pretty easy, and they do all the leg work. I've been dealing with them over an Infiniti issue (which is why I'm dumping it next month), and they have gotten a LOT done because of their name. You can do it online which makes it even easier.
  • cen19cen19 Member Posts: 1
    Have been driving my '05 Grand Prix GTP for just a few days and I also have the hissing sound coming from the speakers. It's the Monsoon system. Otherwise the car is great.. so far, but the noise from the speakers is annoying.
    Look, if the hiss that lasts for say 20-30 second when you open your door bothers you that much, then I don't know what to say. I hear it, but mine stops after no more than one minute. It also stops is isn't present when my car is running. Like I said before, if you still hear it when the car is running, take it up with the dealer and compare with other cars. If not, then IMO, you are blowing it out of proportion, but then it's your car.

Fussy...yes, actually I am. But the his goes away once I start it up so it's a non-issue for me.
    First of all, as I said before, it is not a dealer issue, it is a GM issue. They put the piece of junk in the 2005 GXP, were aware of it, and put it in the 2006 GXP anyway. My car wasn't a used car, a demo, but "Brand New." So, I don't expect to purchase a mew car with a problematic speaker system that GM was well aware of with the 2005 model and they just stuck it in the 2006 model to get rid of them, I assume. The dealer fully agrees with me. They checked the bulletins -- still no remedy. Another thing, I am more than fussy with my car, I am a fanatic. Who has their car washed two or three times a week -- I do. Also, when I trade in my cars after three years, they are not in excellent condition, they are all in "Superb" condition -- they look like they just came out of a showroom!!! The humming/hissing bothers me. It shouldn't be there, and I am not giving up on this.
  • mrmedoesmrmedoes Member Posts: 3
    My car is one of the ones that has the hissing that goes on the entire time that the car is running. I notice that some of you say that it goes away after you start moving or that you don't have it at all (that you notice). Well I listen to a lot of sports talk and such, and I notice every bit of it, so I was wondering if anyone had found a solution, even if it's just a way to get it to the point that it goes away while I drive. Sometimes I like to drive with the radio off and listen to the engine too, so this could be a major problem.

The worst part is that I have bad hearing in one ear and still can hear it. I don't know if it's the tone that it's at or what, but it's making a good car a lot worse for me.

If no one has any solutions that have worked for them, do you at least know who to contact at Pontiac/GM? It seems like the dealer is only so much and that this really should be a recall type issue. I have some contacts, but figured that one of you may have already started down the path.

Thanks for your help. -Mike
    In that extra booklet we got, it has a "chain of command" for problems. It's something like the delaer, then Pontiac customer service, then BBB, etc. I'd go to the dealer, tell them to hear it, ask what THEY will do. Then just politely tell them that this really bothers you, and you'll be contacting customer service next, until it gets resolved. They should be understanding and do what it will take to fix it. This is how recalls/service bulletins are discovered by the consumers talking, so don't feel bad. I'm just happy becuase we'll be getting snow tomorrow so I can see what it drives like before I order any snow tires and extra wheels!
    The dealer cannot do anything because there are no bulletins at this time for remedying this problem. The CAC is worthless; they just want to get rid of problems; they don't solve them. The BBB I didn't even bother with. I figured it was a waste of my time. Try writing to Mark LaNeve, Vice President, GM North America, Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing, P.O. Box 10074, Toledo, OH 43682-4183. Also, I wouldn't complete any questionnaires or surveys that they will send you until they fix the problem. On my surveys, I wrote that this will be completed when the hissing/humming sound is remedied and I also told them "no more GM cars for me; you were aware of the problem with the 2005 GXP and yet put the piece of junk in the 2006 GXP.
  • pfwizpfwiz Member Posts: 6
    After 1300 mile on my new GXP I have never heard the "hissing". Also just to mention it my transmission works fine. Actually I have no problems at all mechanically with car. That is not to say I don't have a few issues with it, though.
    1) Why doesn't a car with a $34K sticker have built a built in garage door opener? My last 3 cars have had it. I had to go out and buy a remote....
    2) I worked in the GM Oshawa car plant (where Grad Prixs are built) they require everyone to wear cut proof sleeves and gloves when handling the metal the body pieces are made of because they can be razor sharp. This said why is there access inside the trunk (opposite the trunk lock) where you can reach your hand in and touch this razor sharp metal? They want to protect the workers, but the customers are on there own?
    3) I am still disappointed by the Nav system. As I said earlier my $600 Garmin Streetpilot does a much better job navigating all the way down to the smallest residential streets.
    4) Why doesn't the DoD have some kind of light telling you when it is running on 4 cyclinders? I told my wife I am not sure we really have DoD, maybe we just have a decal on the engine...
    Don't get the wrong idea, I like my GXP. I just wonder what GM was thinking when they made some of these choices.

P.S. Just for fun try putting the tranny in manual and in first gear, at about 25 mph goose the throttle hard. I think I got whiplash!
    ;)
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    Im a proud owner of a 2005 GXP. I bought it in June 05, and have loved it ever since. I have not noticed the hissing issue that some have. I guess im lucky, because i am VERY particular about a car that has quirks like that. That would bother me until it was fixed. Having been an owner of 2 grand prix GTP's I can say that i finally found a car that doesnt make me feel jealous of other people's vehicles :). When i would be in my GTP, sometimes id see a mustang cobra or camaro SS and get a little jealous thinking that they had a superior car. But now having the V8, i can honestly say that i have yet to see another vehicle on the road that i would rather own! I love everything about my GXP, having almost 6,500 miles on it. I love every trip i make in it! As for the DoD system, i think it works like a charm. To really appreciate how it works, get on a long stretch of highway, and put the computer display on "instant miles per gallon". you can really tell when the DoD turns on because the mpg goes from the high teens, to over 30 or more! The other thing i love about this car is that I still have yet to see a lot of other ones, if any on the road, at least where i live. I saw 1 other not long after i bought mine, but havent seen any others since. I like the fact that Im driving a vehicle that not many have seen before :)
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    All,
    Picked up my new 06 GXP Saturday and when I was putting some things in the glove box, I heard the hum you all have talked about. When the car is on the hum stops and I seem to hear the radio clear. Will check when I get back from my trip. Waiting to actually drive the thing. Picked it up Saturday and go out of town Sunday am till Thursday. Will let you know on the hum though.

Anxiously waiting to get back to Fort Worth to drive it.

Cheers,
    Bubbaman
  • dingo9tndingo9tn Member Posts: 4
    i got my GXP 1 month ago. i hear the hissing also.i hear it when the car is running also, even on long trips. GM Canada is looking into it for me, and the dealer says there is no fix at this time. i hope they find a fix soon. :P
  • dakota74dakota74 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone else experience this? I have a 06 GXP and the one thing I have a real problem with is this. My mother in law has the 04 GTP and her sunroo fhas the wind deflector that pops up once you open the roof -- and there's little to no noise.

In mine, there's no deflector, and you can hardly hear the radio and forget about a cell phone while the roof is open!!! Even in Vent mode, the roof is just so loud with wind!!

Anyone? Thanks!
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    No help from me. I have NO sunroof (and love it that way) in my GXP.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    One of my previous 2004 GTP had the small deflector(it was quite trick) and my 2005 GXP does not. I am not a sunroof fan, only have one because it came on the cars... If I ever order another new car, I wouldn't get one.(always buy existing inventory, but did factory order a new El Camino way back in '82)
    Some folks love them, I like air, but not the noise/wind buffeting in a car. If I want the feel of wind, I'll jump on a motorbike.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    Sunroofs are great! Especially in the summer when its 200 degrees in the car, and you open the vent for a short while. I have the 2005 bonneville gxp, and it does have the deflector. I'd check with the dealer parts department, (in person) and see if the bonneville/grandprix are the same sunroof. Maybe the deflector could be added.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “Even in Vent mode, the roof is just so loud with wind!!”

I find that when in ‘vent’ position, if I then just tap the sunroof switch in the “close” direction (perhaps closing \ lowering rear edge of the roof a quarter inch or so) this reduces the wind noise by a very large amount, retaining the flow through fresh air – but making the noise level a non-issue for me, at least up to 80 mph or so . . . I run mine in this position nearly all winter.

I almost never open the roof all the way – except when stuck in slow traffic \ stopped in heavy traffic.

- Ray
    Addicted to fresh air . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I barely notice my sunroof when its in 'vent' mode. My last vehicle was a 2003 Grand Prix GTP, and one thing i liked about its sunroof was the vent holes in the moon roof that slides back into the headliner. that meant you didnt have to slide it back first before opening the sunroof.

Took my 2005 GXP on a road trip yesterday, roughly 400 miles round trip. once i got on the main highway (interstate 80), i reset my AVG mpg reading, and let it go from there. when i got to where i was going it was around 26.8 mpg, and i reset it again when i left for home. again, it was around 26.7 mpg when i got home. I had the cruise set for 68-70 the majority of the trip too. im very happy w/ the miles per gallon, considering its a V8, and i had 3 other full sized adult passengers in the car with me. With the way gas prices are, i have only been putting in 87 octane since october.
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    Sorry cannot help with the sun roof, as my allergies are too bad with it open, but impressive about your MPG on your trip. How much mileage (total) on your GXP, have you seen it get better at some point (5K/10K)? My city/hwy mix has been 21-23 (with AC on) and city only is 17-18 with a lot of "horsing around." I haven't had a long freeway trip yet. So it runs ok on 87? I have been using mid-grade/premium mix. All of the horsepower curves are shown for premium, has anyone seen the curves for mid-grade or regular? That would go a long way to understanding if there is a difference MPG wise versus the various grades of gas. I know we aren't talking about a lot of money just interested. Ray have you seen any?

Thanks,
    Gary
    I topped my tank off on saturday night for a dinner meeting, about an hour round trip. the next day i took it on my road trip. when i got home, it was almost on empty, so i filled it up again. i had gone 396 miles, and it took about 14.3 gallons, which is roughly 27.8 MPG. i have around 8,000 miles on my car, and run 87 octane. normal driving around town, i avg about 17-18 also.

the only change i made to my car was install a K&N air filter back in december. ive used these air filters in my other 2 GTP's ive owned, and it seemed to help it run a little better. it sounds better too. as for helping the gas mileage, im not really sure. This was the first major highway trip i took with it, so i have nothing to compare it to before i installed the air filter.
    I've been fiddling around with various techniques with my VERY NEW gxp. I've got less than 600 miles so far and I often reset my mpg meter. So far, I've gotten a shade under 20 mpg for mostly city/some highway. On the highway, I measured it on one long stretch of flat highway 60 mph, and eaaaaasy on the gas. I hit an honest 28 mpg for about a thirty mile trip, and that included a few on ramps and off ramps.

The 'problem' with this car is it is so darn fun to push that throttle. :surprise: This car makes basically every other vehicle on the road just disappear in the rearview mirror.

I filled my tank about 150 miles ago and I haven't touched the mpg meter...I'm now showing 18.5 mpg on the computer but I've been giving the car a run for its money now that the engine is getting broken in.

I still have yet to do a long highway cruise. I KNOW I can beat the EPA numbers cuz I've done it with every other domestic I've owned...
    That did it dakota! I also noticed the noise after a little driving the other day. I closed mine a tad, after being opened, and I heard a LOT of noise reduction. Maybe Pontiac should have had this reduced setting for max opening huh?
    Today, I noticed a new noise. I closed the driver's door, and heard a "clanking" from under the car. It did this each time I shut the door. It sounded like a piece of sheet metal rattling on something. I immediately thought about the catalytic converter covering? I'll jack it up Thursday and check it out.
    After driving home from work (about 45 minutes to an hour commute), when I would get out of the car and walk around to the other side I would hear a noise coming from the rear left side (driver's side in back). I described it as a putt putt sound; the dealer called it ticking. I was told both by my brother and the dealer that that noise is normal. It's the exhaust pipe. I think, if I'm right, they both told me that the exhaust pipe gets hot and expands and causes that noise. Is that your noise? the dealer also told me that a lot of customers have brought their cars in with the same noise. So, I don't worry about it. Does anyone ever get a squeak when they shift from drive to park or from park to drive. I was getting that squeak quite often. I had it in a few times. They lubed it, then replaced a part on the driver's door, replaced the trim around the gear shift and then replaced the door lock activator (last time I was there) on the passenger side and lubed it again. They finally heard the noise before the fourth visit. So, after I left the last time when the passenger door lock activator was replaced I got to work and heard it again, and then three more times. But, now I haven't heard it at all for about three weeks. Could it be weather related? Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks. Chats1
  • bob97bob97 Member Posts: 16
    Every car I’ve owned ‘ticked’ from the engine compartment while cooling down, but I do not recall ever hearing the exhaust tick. No squeaks shifting either – at least none that I can hear.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    almost every newer car I have drive has the heat contraction ticks/pings/chinks coming from the exhaust system.... whatever you want to call it. The pipes get hot and the sound is the metal contracting as it cools and the stresses formed from heat expansion and the bends formed in the pipes causes them to make a ping/tick/ting...as the metal contracts. Because the metal used now-a-days is thinner(often stainless steel) than it used to be the contraction and expansion is more pronounced.
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    All right all my fellow 06 gxp owners,what is the deal with the hissing coming from the interior when i first get in the car....is it the feds?? ha ha...its not that annoying im just curious why it makes that sound? Is it the radio or something else,especially if there is no key in the ignition.Or am i the only one with this problem...p.s. im from the midwest so i dont think its a rattlesnake...ha ha.
    My hissing only lasts about 15 seconds or so. I think that it's tied into the courtesy light circuit or something. You now, the power stays on for a short while after you get in or out? When I get time, I'm going to mess with the timer duration and see if that changes anything.
    I have a 2006 GXP since last August with 10,600 miles on it. I am sending one message re all three topics being discussed. First, my sunroof seems just fine when it is open -- same as my other three GTP's with the sunroof. I haven't noticed any significant noise at all. Second, I have the hissing/humming noise too -- I'm probably the bigest complainer of this -- now I just ignore it. Anyway, it stays on about 15 seconds, goes off, does not interfere with my radio or cd's. Don't even waste your time calling Customer Assistance Center because they are not knowledgeable about the car; they only look up what you ask them in the manual and call the dealer. They told me that. They are useless. They know nothing about this car. They just want to get rid of problems; not solve them. So, don't waste your time. You will just get more aggravated. I have called them many times -- it was just a waste of my time and very frustrating. I even told them at one point "What good are you? I can certainly read a manual and call the dealer." I still think it is related to OnStar since OnStar is now digital in the new cars, not analog, as before, and the speaker probably has not shut off. OnStar monitors the car all the time and has a speaker. Do you think GM will admit this. Of course not. That's why they say "there is no remedy at this time, it is not harmful." What would they do, tear out the OnStar System. I doubt that and who would want that anyway. Third, I have no problem whatsoever when I use my automatic climate control -- ac or heat. It works as it should. I am very very happy with my car. It took me a while to get used to it. It's my first 8 cylinder. My other 3 GTP's were all supercharged and I thought they were fast. Now, I'm spoiled. I couldn't drive anything with less power!!! The car was worth the money.
    I own a 2005 GXP and interestingly, i have never heard the "hissing" sound some of you speak of. My model didnt come w/ the OnStar system, and im wondering if that could be the culprit. It would be interesting to see how many people have that problem, and also have Onstar installed. I do have the XM radio, but i only used it for the first 3 months when it was free, and didnt purchase the plan, hence i dont use it. Im just glad i dont have the hissing noise as described, because i am very particular also about little annoyances like that, and it would drive me crazy until i had found a solution to it.
    Are you sure that you don't have OnStar. I thought it came standard on all GXP's. I also had OnStar on my 2002 GTP which came standard and I had the Bose system but on that model OnStar was analog, now OnStar on the new cars is digital. My brother is an electrical engineer and insists that it is OnStar causing this problem. I did subscribe to XM because I figured if I bought the radio which, of course, was in one of the packages, I might as well get the plan so I subscribed for one year. I enjoy it, but also listen to my other AM/FM stations as well and my CD's.
    ps: onstar is standard on all GXPs. (As is the stability control, Heads Up Display and big monster brakes and...)....
    Hissing? None here whatsoever. I don't have a the monsoon radio upgrade. I stuck with stock and upgraded the speakers instead.

My car is very quiet. No sunroof!

I don't drive mine much. My wife always has it. The car is a complete joy to drive. Kids love the back seats, surprisingly. My wife is no racer, but she loves the incredible POW of power that happens when you touch the gas. She commutes through heavier traffic and if some dork won't let her merge she just zooms ahead of him in 0.25 seconds. Brakes are also awesome.

Don't see many of these cars around, which is a bit odd. Everyone who drives ours scratches their chins and asks, "So how much did you pay for this?" When I tell 'em they kinda hint they may have to take one for a test drive.
  • sahoward1sahoward1 Member Posts: 19
    I agree the hissing is freaky, but it goes away in a few seconds. The AC comes on every time you start the car, which is nonsense nine months out of the year in New England. CAC is totally useless. They wasted a month of my time. My dealer and CAC say this is normal operation to help defog the windshield. Duh! If's it dry out, why do I need to defog my windshield? The AC should default to where the driver left it, and there does not seem to be a fix or reprogram for this problem. I should not have to press that snowflake every time I start my car. Neither should I have to drive around wasting gas with my AC on. This happens in manual as well as automatic climate control. And it happens in every mode. I'm thinking of installing a kill switch. Do you think that would void my warranty?
  • bob97bob97 Member Posts: 16
    With the auto-dual climate system, if you leave the vent control set to off, the AC and fan do not come on when you start the car.
    Exactly, so that is why we have no problem. when I'm not using my ac or heat I turn it off. when I want it on, I turn it on. The salesperson did tell me when I purchased the car to always leave it on. I had no idea why he said that, but I turn it off when I don't need it. Why leave it on. I do exactly what I did with my other GTP's. Chats1
    when I am not using my ac, I turn it off. When I want it on, I turn it on. I always use automatic climate control, but turn it off when I don't need it even though the salesman told me to always leave it on. I don't know if the remote starter has anything to do with any of this because even though I have the remote starter with my car I have no need to use it. My car is always parked inside -- in my garage, at work, at the mall, etc. I don't understand what this ac problem is. As far as a killer switch, I would be afraid of installing anything myself in this car because if you mess something up, your warranty would be void, unless the dealer does you a favor and just puts it under warranty. I have been going to the same dealer since 1992 and have bought five Pontiacs from them, so they know me very well and I never have any problems with them and I trust them. when I have a problem or think I have a problem, I go to the dealer.
    I know if you shut off the entire heat/AC system, it doesn't come on. But... then when you turn on the heat, the frigging snowflake light comes on. I used to leave my GTP set to where I wanted it, and it always defaulted to where I left it. This stupid system defaults to AC if the outdoor temp is greater than 40 degrees F. CAC and the dealer say that's to help defog the windshield. If it's dry and 41 degrees, I need heat not AC. My old dealer, where I bought four Pontiacs closed down, so I had to go thirty miles away for this.
    when I turn my ac/heat on, the snowflake comes on. I don't worry about it. When I don't want ac or heat, it's completely off because I turn it off. Where did you get the 40 degrees from. In the beginning when I got the car in August I read that manual 3 times and was looking for what degrees do I turn off the fan. I couldn't find anything so that's why I don't worry about it. My other car said 37 degrees. when my windows get foggy I just put it on defrost and then when they clear I turn it off. Isn't this fun. I decided I'm not worrying about anything on the car. It's under warranty for 3 years and after 3 years I either sell my car or trade it in and get a new one. Now, I'm thinking about what I want to buy next. I have 2 l/2 years to play with different ideas. Don't even call the CAC, they're stupid. I'm glad that I'm not the only complainer!!!
    I have dual climate control. AC is off when system is off. I don't quite see what the fuss is about.

Correct me out there if I'm wrong, but most new cars will run the ac unit if the driver chooses any defroster function, and that includes cold weather stuff. Remember, ac removes moisture from air, a good thing even if it is 10 degrees out and relative humity is very low. I think most people don't even realize their ac is on in most models.....
    chats1, you are correct. i was mistaken when i said my GXP didnt come with OnStar. What i meant to say was that it didnt come w/ the Navigation system. I forgot that Onstar was even installed because I have never used it, nor had any reason to. I have pretty much everything else you could order in it though, except for the Nav system. It even has the Monsoon speaker upgrade, so i dont think that would be causing the hissing. it sounds to me like there is something going on that is being amplified by the speakers, like an entry alert, door open, etc. since i dont have that noise, i guess ill never know.

The best thing i love about my GXP, other than the POWER, is the fact that there arent many others on the road. i have seen only 1 other, and that was at the end of last summer. i havent seen any others on the road where i live. i love to know that i have a special car that not many have seen before. I really take notice too as to who else drives the kind of car i drive. I used to have a chevy blazer, and after i got it, i immediately started noticing all of the other drivers on the road driving blazers, and was always comparing mine to theirs, lol. im glad i dont have to do that w/ my GXP. even when i see the new mustang gt/cobras on the road, i dont have to lower my head in shame now because i finally drive a car that can def. give them a run for the money! :)
    I agree with you completely. when I want it on, I put it on, when I want it off, I turn it off. If it's still on, I'm not aware of it. I don't hear anything.
    I have everything also in my car except for the Navigation system. If I get lost, I use my mouth or get myself unlost!! I never had occasion to use OnStar for help but I do use the phone. You can also access the phone through the Mute button on the steering wheel by holding it down and it connects you to OnStar, besides the rearview mirror. I also love this car because you don't see yourself coming and going. I have only seen one in a parking lot since I got mine and last week a fellow stopped me in the garage where I park at work and asked me how I liked the car. He just ordered one. He said it's really really nice and he loved my color (Dark Red Cherry Metallic).
    This forum has been about as much help as CAC. Understand this concept, the fan/heat/AC system should not default to the snowflake. It should default to where the driver left it--or off. If it truly is meant to defog the windshield, then shouldn't it be programmed to come on only in defog mode? I could live with that. Personally I think this is a screw up. I think a foreign engineer programmed this and used 40 degrees thinking it was Celsius. That would make sense, the AC should come on automatically if it's over a 100 degrees. That would be a great safety feature. And I think the sensor and the programming mechanics are in a sealed unit, so it's not financially feasible for GM to offer buyers a re-program or a new sensor. And regarding the OnStar hissing, I am starting to get real paranoid. Do you realize the FBI, or someone stalking you would know exactly where you are with this car? Do you think Tony Soprano has OnStar in his Escalade?
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    Well i found the hissing noise in my 06 gxp,its not onstar,it was my cat hissing at the rattlesnake that apparently came standard......ha ha ha. 588 miles n counting......o yea i managed to take off those unsightly GM badges on the front fenders,thanks zoomandyzoom and erichthecatt.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “This forum has been about as much help as CAC. Understand this concept . . .”

I think that:

1. Several people here (including me) do understand that some series of design parameters and \ or judgment errors have resulted in the A/C compressor running at times we don’t think it ought to run. Now that I understand the behavior, I do simply turn the A/C off when I don’t want it running.

2. No one here now has a huge problem with either the hiss or the overly aggressive A/C engagement programming.

I have owned and driven so many cars I have lost count (in about 40 years with a driver’s license) and I cannot recall one that did not exhibit at least a couple of annoyances. Some small & some rather large. These 2 items (and again I will grant that if I ruled GM they would not have made it to production) fall into the annoyance category – for me. Heck, I am annoyed that my driver’s door often does not stay at the full open detent \ position by itself. Oh, well . . .

The fact that no one here has a ‘remedy’ for the 2 issues you raise is apparently also an annoyance to you.

Sorry.

If a solution existed, I believe that it would have been posted here or on another Board I follow closely. I don’t believe that anyone is intentionally withholding information.

And perhaps Tony will now use his wife’s Porsche SUV (something I would have bet serious money 20 years ago would never exist) when he has a concern about OnStar surveillance.

- Ray
    Feeling any annoyance fade far behind when I open the throttle . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    You are not being fair at all comparing this forum to the CAC. This forum is extremely helpful and has been very helpful to me. Everyone tries to help each other, and as Ray just stated, no one is withholding info. If we have it, we share it. Now to the CAC -- they are worthless, useless, stupid. They are not engineers but more like telemarketers. They look in the manual and call the dealer while you are on "Hold." Any idiot can do that!!! I don't even call them anymore. So, I think you are being very unfair with your statement critizing this forum. All we are trying to do is be helpful. We didn't manufacture this car. When I want heat, I use my automatic climate control or when I want a/c. Then I turn it off. So, I don't have any problem. If this forum bothers you, you shouldn't participate in it. And, I'm not being fresh either, just realistic. I enjoy this forum very very much and get lots of pointers.