Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Am Brakes

2»

Comments

• Options
    sorin1sorin1 Member Posts: 4
    what issues did he have with the brakes? soft pedal? long travel?
  • Options
    t0yb0yt0yb0y Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Grand Am GT that has the front passenger brake caliper not releasing properly and smoking after short drives. I have replaced the caliper and brake pads but the issue is still happening. I did notice when I had the brake line off no fluid drained out of it, however when I bleed the caliper it did release fluid then. I haven't ruled out the possibility of the new caliper being bad as well. Any ideas?
  • Options
    amh1amh1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 1999 Grand Am (Love it!). I've had it for 8 years and now have over 130,000 miles on it. My brake light was coming on when I was turning corners then turning itself off within 2-3 minutes. I took it to my friend who's a mechanic and he said the brake fluid was low. He couldn't find any leaks so he told me that it was probably a Master Cylinder (about $65 at auto parts store) and said it was an easy enough fix that it could be done at home if you have a friend that knows a little about cars. He topped off my brake fluid reservoir and showed me where it was so I could watch to see if it got low again without an apparent leak (if it did then it was the cylinder). Hope this helps someone!!
    ~amh1
  • Options
    kylehunter44kylehunter44 Member Posts: 6
    Its your Wheel speed sensor . it keeps the car from locking up when car decelerates
  • Options
    hoitytoityhoitytoity Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem!
  • Options
    rpbutler1969rpbutler1969 Member Posts: 1
    Brakes make a grinding sound and act like the abs is activating when I brake. This all seemed to happen after a car wash. someone said that the sensor may need to be replaced. Anybody have any Ideas? Thanks Russ
  • Options
    killuminati22killuminati22 Member Posts: 1
    I have this exact problem today... was there ever a solution here????

PLEASEEE Help!
  • Options
    rodricusrodricus Member Posts: 1
    i have replaced abs pump, master cylinder, front rotors, calibers..pads and rear wheel cylinders,,,brakes still going to the floor dont know what else to do.... also, is there a special way to bleed them?
  • Options
    2004grandam2004grandam Member Posts: 1
    I was having brake problems with my 2004 grand am. After I changed the brakes, they would wear out on the outside of the passenger side. I changed the caliper and the pads. Still didn't fix it. I changed the brake hose and bled the brakes. Still had wear on the brakes. :mad:

I brought my car into a few mechanics and they couldn't figure it out. Finally at Brakeway in Louisville, KY, they found out that I installed my brake pads backwards and the hardware (clips) weren't fitting properly. Each time I changed my brake pads, I would match them up with how they were previously. This way, they were always put on wrong! :blush:

So, if you have problems with the brakes wearing faster than normal, they may need to be properly installed. I hope this helps you! :)
  • Options
    bob252bob252 Member Posts: 48
    I hope this helps, I would look at the brake switch above the brake pedal, as if you recall when applying the brake it disconnects the cruise control (like it does on the highway) as for the dummy (warning light) check to make sure the emergency brake handle is all the way down, it may be a combo of both. The switch usualy is only pushed into its' holder and is adjustable. at least this is where to start, don't know of any more things I can think of, but I hope that this helps.
  • Options
    travmastertravmaster Member Posts: 1
    So i have me this awesome little car, pontiac grand am se 2.4 liter, 150,xxx great runner great gas mileage, very reliable. well i threw a brake pad in the front driver side, so i replaced the brake pads and rotor, (both front). since i did the brake job, (2 1/2 months ago) the brakes have been squeling very bad and getting progressively worse. also my abs light and check eng. light comes on everytime i drive it lately. (1 week) previously i had the same prob. (Abs)... (after my brake job) the mechanic replaced the front passenger abs sensor which is the whole hub ($200) fixed the prob but now its doing it again. (work done bout 3 weeks ago) so all in all.... front brakes squeeling, abs light comes on, front brakes not releasing rubbing on rotor. oh also.. brakes dont squeel first few miles. only after bout five. work ive done:

front passenger hub replaced

Front passenger caliper replaced

Front brakes ( pads and rotors)

rear brake drum inspection (both fine little brake dust but plenty of pad)

what i believe wrong:

falty or defective caliper? faulty defective abs sensor? pads installed incorrectly? (not likely) rotors installed incorrectly?

any further ideas? would appreciate some further input and brain storming. thank you
  • Options
    diy777diy777 Member Posts: 1
    I was sitting in NJ traffic for an hour when I noticed my car was running hotter than normal, (3-4 notches). nbd I flipped the heat on and windows down and it was back to normal in a couple of minutes. However, a bit later I hit the brakes and...nothing after a few pumps they came back but only temporary. Now it's like that all the time I have to pump the brakes to keep them working. fluid level ok, vacuum hoses in good condition, new calipers and pads, and replaced the collapsed line on the drivers side. I'm getting frustrated any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    georgiagirl82georgiagirl82 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 2000 Grand Am and the dash is lighting up like a Christmas tree, every warning light on for no reason! I had it reset by a guy at Advance Auto and it still didn't fix anything. Now I'm hearing LOUD bangs and the breaks lock up on me, in the middle of traffic most of the time! :surprise: The only way to get the breaks to let up is to drive in revere then go forward again, REALLY not possible in a traffic jam! Someone help! This is scary stuff!! :cry:
  • Options
    gina35gina35 Member Posts: 8
    There really is endless problems when it comes to these cars! I had a 97 Grand Am GT, that was a total pain in the [non-permissible content removed]..i couldnt even get my key out of the ignition,it was stuck and i would have to unhook my battery whenevr i went in anywhere! Not to mention sometimes it took me 30 mins to get it out of park..and the power windows?C'mon ppl if u own a grand am u have or have had a problem with ur power windows..and if u havn't..u will have! So even after all this i bought yet another one a 99 Grand Am SE..which i truly believe is possesed..and i still love her..dont ask me why! But no more...lesson learned> Brake Trouble,electrical issues for days,overheating! Grand Ams should have their own LEMON LAW!!! But i will drive mine till the wheels fall off..which may not be much longer! :)
  • Options
    tacojonnyd17tacojonnyd17 Member Posts: 2
    i have replaced my master cyl 3 time. abs module 2 times. brake booster as well. booster came with a different check valve as well. and my brakes still lock up after driving for 10-15 minutes. all four brakes lock up at the sames time. it is a gradual lock up. they dont fully lock up. or at least i dont let them. shut the car off for a half a day and they are ok until i start driving again. any ideas?
  • Options
    tacojonnyd17tacojonnyd17 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    bsmith95610bsmith95610 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT and it just started making a weird noise when braking at slow speeds sometimes. It seems to do it more when it's cold outside the noise occurs when braking when the car slows down to about 5 mph. The noise sounds like air is being depressed out of a small tube almost like a whoopee cushion and the brake pedal flutters a little bit as well but the car does continue to stop. To me if doesn't feel like the normal ABS brake feeling that the brake pedal does if you push it to the floor. Sometimes after it makes this light the ABS light will come on and sometimes it won't. It seems to make the noise most often early in the morning when it is cold out. Sometimes the noise occurs 3 or 4 times a day and sometimes it never occurs at all. If anyone has any idea's please let me know.
  • Options
    CT_GankedCT_Ganked Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    I had the same exact issue today and started chewing my rotors and found the solution. This cars a drama queen and was mad about brake dust. Not even joking. Pads aren’t old at all (3,000 miles on them). Rotors were new, good calipers. Took it apart and seen not a thing wrong. There was some brake dust around the corners of the pads and in the crease as well. Wiped it down and reinstalled. Not a sound anymore. The stupidest of things are usually the issue. I have a 04 grand am se. give this a try next time or for the person looking for info.