Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre General Care & Maintenance

suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
My son has a '98 LeSabre that just turned 60,000 miles. He was told that something called a "fuel injector flush" is recommended for this vehicle. Is it necessary?
'14 Buick Encore Convenience
'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Comments

• jgwin621jgwin621 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a question that's been answered, so pardon me for asking it again. I inherited a 2001 LeSabre from my Mom. I recently took it to my "maintenance" mechanic to have the coolant changed (the car is very low mileage, and I wanted to freshen the coolant before I took it on a long trip) and he could not find a drain for the radiator. He seemed to think the bottom hose was too far up the block and the radiator to drain it properly. He said the coolant was nice and pink and smelled fresh, so not to worry, but now I'm curious. Any help out there?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    I couldn't find a drain cock on mine and the service manager couldn't see one either. I drained it myself with the bottom hose. Filled with distilled water. Ran to warm it up to circulate. DRained. Filled with distilled water. Ran to warm it up. Drained. Put in the proper amount of DexCool and ran it to get the air bubbles out and put the rest of the needed DexCool into the reservoir.

The DexCool should be changed every two years... just like the regular stuff. Many claim you won't have any of the alleged problems that DexCool might have caused in the past from being in too long. It's cheap insurance for me.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Take off the big plastic cover on the bottom of the front of the car. It uses those plastic plugs that you pull out on the pin and they let go. Kind of like drywall anchors. There are lots of them as this cover goes from the lower bumper back to the frame. You should be able to see the drain plug once this thing is removed. Yes, it the plug is plastic so so be too hard on it. Don't forget there is a metal drain plug on the block too.
    When done, make sure you follow the procedure in the owner's manual for bleeding air out of the system by opening the bleed screws.
    While you are doing this, I recommend using a new Stant radiator cap. Kind of a long story, but Dex-cool does not mix well with air, and if you have a cap that leaks or has sediment on it, it allows air into the system causing problems.
  • pacecar3pacecar3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,
    I have a 1996 Buick LeSabre with about 100,000 miles on it. I am very happy with the car. The only concern I have is that the rear of the car rides high and stiff. It all started after taking my three kids, luggage, cooler, and other goodies on a long trip. After unloading the trunk, instead of the car drifting down to its normal level, it rides high. It seems stuck in this mode. Sometimes it will ride lower and softer, but then it will ride high and stiff for weeks at a time. Is there an easy backyard mechanic fix?
    Crawl under the (right?) rear of the car and find which side has the auto level control sensor. This will be a short rod connecting the moveable suspension part to the body above it. There will be a small box like a playing cards box with a lever that rotates as the car goes up and down. Be sure the rod is connected; if it's off that makes the car go high trying to level itself.

I've read about vent valves not working back at the part that's behind the rear wheel that controls the adding air and venting air. You'd need to test connections there. You also might trying moving the wires that come out of the trunk and around those parts. My 98 had a broken wire that was in the air and water wash behind the right rear wheel. So the system wouldn't do anything. The wire had broken from being moved around in the wash behind the wheel.

You need a service manual with a wiring diagram to properly track what's happening. I traced power from the front fuse panel to the rear before I found this problem. Since your car sometimes seems to operate properly you may have a broken wire making contact sometimes or a bad connector--but they're pretty well made so that's less likely based on my observation.

• pacecar3pacecar3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks imidazol97,
    I'll purchase the Haynes manual for it (good to have anyway) and follow your lead during the next backyard oil change or perhaps this weekend if time allows. Thanks again. :)
    I don't personally recommend the Haynes Chilton type manals. I'd look for the official Helm manual--try Ebay for a used one. Check the original (I forgot what year you've got) at
    helminc.com
    Look at doityouself DIY for pricing. They might have a sale on yours.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=GMC&Make=BUI&Model=LESA&Year=1- 996&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&mscsid=5TJL6M3L6SAP8NDC6R5WE3TWA8DL9JMA

The $130 is for a multivolume set, two or three. I buy them when my car is new and get my money's worth out of it. Otherwise I'd check the used market; the internet has made that easy.

Also, some major libraries have access to car manual copies like those. A major city near us has them online but you need to apply for their card to get a local user number--then you can access the info, and print, free.

It's only necessary for the shop owner's yacht payment due on the 15th of the month.

If there are no major running problems indicating injectors being uneven, that's the least of the things to check.

If it's never had the upper intake manifold, plastic, replaced, he needs to fill the coolant tank carefully when cool to a mark, and then watch when the car is cool to be sure he doesn't start using coolant.

The transmission should have had the pan dropped and the filter replaced and then refilled with 6.5, approx., quarts of Dexron III transmission fluid. The rubber gasket on the tranny should be reused-it's special. Don't put on an aftermarket gasket.

If he wants to treat the injectors, go buy a bottle of 20 oz fuel system cleaner by Chevron, called Techron. That's the name of their additive in their fuels at their stations. Follow the directions on that bottle. It's available at Meijers, Advance Auto, Walmart. Be sure to get fuel system cleaner if he can. There also is an injector cleaner. He'll notice a difference after a few miles when he puts that in if the injectors needed cleaning. That will be $9-10 compared to $50-$100 at the shop. The smaller size for up to 12 gallons is $7.

Have him try the Techron and report back what he thinks.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    >It's only necessary for the shop owner's yacht payment due on the 15th of the month.

That's what I thought. His car is running just fine.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I buy 90% of my gas from name brand, quality brand locations. I rarely buy from a cheapie place where there might be a low quality or skimping on additives in the fuel.

I don't worry much about injector cleaning. Like I say, I put in $6 bottle about twice or less a year to keep them clean. It does make a difference in how they run with the Techron. If I bought cheap gas, I'd put it in more often.

• mad_dogmad_dog Member Posts: 7
    Last year I bought a very clean 03 Lesabre with 32,800 miles. To me the oil looked dirty - much much worse than my 2 other cars which have 60,000 miles (a '99 Grand Marquis) and 91,000 miles(an '89 Chevy on which I've changed the oil and filter every 3K). But he gave me all the maintenance records which show oil/filter changes according to schedule. He used synthetic oil. I changed it and filter at 33K, 36K, 40K, 44K, using the synthetic oil. Each time the oil looks dirtier than that of my other cars. Now the Lesabre has 47K and it already looks dirty to me. The D.I.C. says the oil life is at 72%.
    So, my question is, does synthetic oil normally look that way, compared to regular oil? Or could there be dirt in the engine?
  • luvjoyluvjoy Member Posts: 5
    Maybe, I hope, you can help me with my mpg on my 1998 Buick Sedan. Bought the car a few months ago. Mileage is.... NO KIDDING .... 10 around town and 14 or 15 on highway! Car has 90K on it now.

I was out of it for a while, (sick) but just recently had my mechanic do a tuneup. Told me car had same wires since it was built, so I thought it would help. No such luck! Do you think this fuel injector stuff would be something to use or try at least. I dont know what to do, engine light isnt on, and car drives reallly good. Only thing I notice is when I turn it on is a slight hum, which I believe is the pump, and I guess it stays on I just dont hear after the radio's playing.
    Thanks so much for any assistance you want to give me right now, cause I dont know what to do, and I dont reaaaaaaaaly want to bring it into the dealer car service in town!
    Hugs
    Joyce
    If the Service Engine Soon light is not on there probably is not anything drastically wrong.

My question is how do you get your numbers for the town part and highway part? The 1998 did not have a driver info readout. Are you calculating the mileage the right way?

Is your driving all short trip? Is your city driving stoplights every block or is it suburban type. Is the highway driving a long, several hundred miles trip, so that you use most of a tank of gas before refilling? Is it interstate or just typical state route highway?

Our 1998 seemed to get about 22 in short trip and going to work (stop sign every one mile cross country, 40-45 mph roads) and about 31 on highway at 70 mph on long interstate trips.

If the car has very high miles, over 150K, that could have enough wear to lower mileage. The only other thing is oxygen sensor and I would not replace those without knowing it's a real problem and only replace with GM sensor. That's what I've read elsewhere.

How many miles are on the car?

• luvjoyluvjoy Member Posts: 5
    Good Morning,

Happened to check board this morning and found your reply, for some reason the board didnt notify me anyone answered.
    Thank you for that!

My driving is mainly around town, 2 mile hike into town. not too many red lights in town. Stop to shop here and there.
    Highway driving is about 100 miles at 70MPH.

I have filled the tank and calculated mpg that way, which is usually a mix of some highway, but mostly around town, and it always averages about 14-15mpg. Also calculated long trips on interstates at 70mpg and got about 15-16mpg.

But since most driving is just around town, etc. I put in gas as soon as the red light goes on and calculate it from there. That is never more than 11mpg.

The car, when I purchased it had about 80K and now has about 90K.

Any suggestions maybe that fuel injector cleaner or something?
    Thanks so much,
    Hugs
    Joyce
  • dr_turbodr_turbo Member Posts: 60
    Maybe you folks can help me. Is there a write-up or procedure listed here that gives me a rundown on how to replace the front wheel/hub assembly on this car?
    The dealer wants way too much money for the job so I think I may tackle it, unless there are some special tools required. What does this take to do it? Thanks for any help.

paul
  • viper2007viper2007 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 3.8 LeSabre Custom. To replace the serpentine belt you will need a 15 mm Deep Socket and a 18mm Deep socket.
    1.Remove right tire. Remove plastic cover to access engine compartment through right tire well.
    2.Remove Bottom Nut and Bolt from Motor mount that sits between bottom pulleys. There is a bolt with a removable sleeve that allows access with new belt to bottom pulleys. You may have to tap out the sleeve since it looks like a solid bar mounted to the engine block.
    3. Job takes less than 1 hour if done right instead of the 4 and 5 hour nightmare posted on most websites. Your welcome. by joe kenney
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Thanks for posting this! It would make a great guide and would have a better chance of being seen by other owners.

http://www.carspace.com/guides
  • tdc1tdc1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a '98 LeSabre that's had regular antifreeze mixed in with the Dex-Cool due to having sprung a leak in a hose in the middle of nowhere.

I'm about to take off for a 4000-mile drive, and would like to flush and change coolant entirely, especially now that I have a mix, which is supposedly a major no-no. An amateur shop that changed oil today said they "couldn't get a reading" on the coolant.

Any expert advice on whether to go with Dex-Cool or not? Buick insists on it, of course, but I've read much bad about it, and nothing good.
    You have a problem with the mix.

You can drain it completely, flush out all the dexcool and green stuff mixture. Then I would refill with DexCool. I took off the lower radiator hose to drain mine every two years. It will take just about the 6 quarts needed to give a 50/50 mixture. I sometimes have to put the extra into the reserve tank.

If you unscrew a knock sensor on the bottom of the block I'm told a lot more comes out.

Either way your best bet would be to rinse and fill with dexcool, which is really good and nondamaging to water pump and aluminum. An alternate would be to refill with one of the compatible antifreezes that is supposed to mix with DexCool.

With aging the mix is supposed to turn blackish and give a gummy residue. I'd drain and fill at least 3 times to get as much of the old mix out as possible. I would run the motor til it circulated then drain again and refill after it cooled a while. I did that 2 times just to rinse out old DexCool (2 years old). Be sure to get the air bubble in the heater out after the motor warms up by reving to 2500 for a few seconds about 5 times--from the owners service manual. Also after that you can bleed the air out at the thermostat screw to get the last air out. Air mixing with DexCool as it circulates supposed causes part of the problems.

Thanks very much, indeed, for the quick and detailed response!

Three questions:

1) any reason why you recommend sticking with Dex-cool rather than flushing out completely and starting anew without it? I've read on many sites that it's nothing but trouble, corrodes innards, etc.

2) any idea which other anti-freezes are okay to mix with Dex-cool? That sounds like a good compromise solution to me.

3) I assume I can eventually find the plug at the bottom of the block, but where's the thermostat screw?

TIA,
    TDC
    DexCool is not gritty in any way and extends life of water pump. It chemically is great for the aluminum in the engine.

I ahve heard people on another board discuss a product (Walmart has it I believe they said) that is says it's universally mixable with others, green and Dexcool. It'll say on the label. But your choice should be to flush and drain and get most of the stuff out and put in one new chemical.

DexCool took lots of grief for the seals leaking around some motor sizes on their intake manifolds and the throttle bodies where coolant is sent up through to keep them from icing. There was a problem with the chemical makeup of early seals, years ago, and those seals were changed. DexCool also formed a brown sludge if air was left in the system. I was told certain designs of radiators for filling, Ford had one e.g., were hard to fill and get all the air out. Those seemed to have trouble after years of running hot with the DexCool breaking down.

Also adding green stuff to it or using anything like a tester that had a little green stuff in it contaminated the Dexcool causing a sludging to form. I think DexCool gets blamed for problems the owner helped cause by not changing it every two years like regular antifreeze and not watching when it began to look gunky in the overflow and radiator cap area and getting the old stuff out of there.

I don't know what the knock sensor looks like. It has an electrical wire to it. Myself I avoided trying that just used the lower radiator hose at the radiator. Drain, fill with water, run, drain, fill ...

The thermostat air bleed is the little brass screw on top of the round hemispherical housing at the end of the upper radiator hose on the right of the picture.

Thanks again - very helpful!

I ended up getting the universal stuff at WalMart, supposedly Dex-Cool compatible. They had four brands all with the same composition and all claiming they could be mixed with anything. Including Prestone, so I'll assume it's legit. And I'll try to flush very thoroughly.

Thanks for the photo of the thermostat screw -- very obvious once the plastic cover was popped.

Now... just as soon as things cool down a bit more...
  • bugzbugz Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 BUICK LESABRE AND JUST TODAY I RAN OUT OF GAS WHILE DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY...(MY GAS NEEDLE DOES NOT WORK)...AND WHEN I FINNALY PUT SOME GAS IN I NOTICED MY ENGINE LIGHT TURNED ON...ANY BODY KNOW WHY?
    Got to one of the local stores, Autozone, Advanced Auto-my favorite, or other and ask them to read the codes for you and turn off the light.

Do not buy any parts or replace anything. See what the codes mean as symptoms, not an indicator of exact parts bad. I suspect it will be related to the pollution checks on the parts for pollution control, p0442. It probably will turn itself off after a while if the store won't turn it off for you.

Is the gas cap seal good. Put petroleum jelly on it on the cap and check that the plastic part on the filler is in good shape and clean. The most common problem is the tank doesn't seal tight enough for the vacuum check the car does occasionally to look for leaks.

The algorithm for checks is tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full (your gauge doesn't work thought). Then the car is restarted when the coolant temp is between two temps (130 and 170 guessing my recall numbers). And the system will check for leaks. I've had a couple and on restart the light turns off.

Your 2000 has an access cover under the mat in the front of the trunk to get to the fuel pump and the fuel level gauge.

• bridge222bridge222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Buick LeSabre which has the following problem:

In the morning when the engine is cold the car idle races exceptionally high and the odometer and speedometer do not work. After about 10 miles of driving, when the engine warms up, the idle returns to normal and the odometer and speedometer works again. I do not know how these two could be related and I can't get to the bottom of this problem in order to solve it.

Thanks, Barry
  • zone2zone2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any idea where to get info on light bulbs in steering wheel for 03 Lesabre with radio controls and cruise.Half of the right side is out.Cannot find any info in owners manual....??????
    The light bulbs appear to be a special bulb that used to be available aftermarket. But the problem is the switch and bulb are wired together. Replacement meant soldering. Also The switch is tricky to remove but can be by using paper clips and working the entire swtich up and out The leads are very short. I've read this in a Pontiac group.

I've not been able to be certain the bulbs are available nor have I had the nerve to try inching the switch out myself.

• rlrufusrlrufus Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1995 Lesabre with 202,000 miles. The car runs fine but I've noticed that after about an hour of driving the oil pressure gauge pegs itself. If I let off the gas it will come back to normal untill I have to touch the gas peddle the it pegs the gauge again. Can anyone help me.
    It is most likely the sending unit. The oil pressure needs to be checked with a gauge that's screwed in to replace the sending unit. These do fail. Don't buy the cheap one; some of those are poorly made.

• clifterclifter Member Posts: 1
    code says voltage to low replaced sensor same problem car wont idle
  • dave1081dave1081 Member Posts: 9
    Greetings - Last week I bought a very well preserved 1992 LeSabre with 116K. It looks great and drives beautifully. One thing I noticed is that at very low speed when making an "all the way" hard right (parking, etc.) I briefly (1/2 second or less) get a power steering hum and what feels like in the steering wheel, a slight jiggle. Happens pretty consistently especially on a bumpy surface but only at very very low speed and never during road driving. Anything to be concerned about??

I love this car!
    This is getting a little weird... Today it did the little hum and jiggle thing and this time it made the steering wheel a little "off" i.e. I had to keep the wheel more than slightly to the left to go straight - even in a flat parking lot. When I did a hard right again and it did the hum & jiggle thing again, the steering wheel went back to normal. Now it rolls straight again when the steering wheel is centered. Any idea what this could be?? Tie rods? Something loose in the power steering mechanism? Will my wheels fall off? Doesn't seem to be any play in the steering... Help!
    I am not an expert, but for my own diagnosis I'd get it up on a rack or jack up both wheels with jackstands. Move the car wheels to see if they are free to turn back and forth.-- no binding ball joints or tie rod ends. Take a close look at everything.

I'd suspect a steering rack problem. But it also could be a rubber bearing mount for the struts at the top that's not right. I had a fairly new leSabre that had one replaced under warranty> It would give a thump when it let go when it had bound up some> you could turn the steeering wheels with the motor running with the car on the ground on gravel or grass where the tires turn easier and feel the binding let go by holding your fingers on the coil spring>

You also could have a slipping belt on the power steering if it"s really worn> or you could have a power steering pump problem> have you checked the fluid level?

Thanks for the insight. I've had the car 1 week now. PS fluid level is fine with no evidence of leaking. I now notice a faint rocky-rumbling sound that is more pronounced when idling - similar to the sound I heard in the weeks before the water pump blew on my old Pontiac 6000. Water pump and alternator were recently replaced on this car so it might be the power steering pump starting to go?

Never drove a Buick before. Now I know what the "Buick Ride" is all about. Would like to think I'm too young for this car but I love it anyway.
    You can use a long socket wrench and move the idler pulley enough to remove the serpentine belt. Then spin, push, pull, twist, the pulleys for all of the accessories just to see.

At 16 years without knowing what climate the car is in (extra hot?), my wild guess from reading forums and people's problems and what they turned out to be would be the harmonic balancer on the end of the crankshaft at the bottom of the motor. The thing is two parts with rubber between them. The rubber deteriorates and the two parts eventually can knock against each other, metal to metal, giving a knock most prominent at idle when the motor is going slow when the speed up and down with piston pulses are most obvious.

While you have the belt off, you might check to see if there's play between the inner and outer parts of the harmonic balancer

• dewc3dewc3 Member Posts: 35
    I have to install a brake proportioning valve on my 1997 buick lasabre limited. Since I have never installed one, I was told when I put the new part on that the brake system has to be flushed, how do I do this flushing of the brake lines? The new part costs about 65.00 at the dealer(dealer part only) go figure
    Whoa.

Why do you believe you need to replace that part? Did a mechanic tell you it was bad? Are you having a problem with the brakes?

well I had the car in the shop for a different reason and the mechanic said the part was leaking. This valve is under the left rear and is apparently leaking, I have looked up pics for this part they called the brake proportioning valve and yet to find one that looks like this part. I just found out that they said this is leaking and when i wipe it and run the car and recheck, it looks to be leaking somewhat, I haven't tightened it yet to see if this shifty mechanic maybe loosened it cause this is the same jerk that said my valve covers were leaking which are not!! and also they said my intake gasket was leaking and it is not!!! so im going to see today when my wife gets home with the car if I can tighten this part up and if I can see if it leaks again once I do that. Do you have a pic of this part for a 1997 buick lasabre limited?
    pressure metering valve, all models, 1992-1999, $27 GMpartsdirect.com is what it sounds like.

Sounds like the parts I got on mine when I had to replace the fuel pump and associated lines due to a leak. When I got under the car after having the work done, there were two clean pieces, about 4 inches long, cylindrical, tapered at one end if I recall, and about 2.5 inches diameter. There is one in each brake line.
    I suspect the place replaced them because they disconnected the brakes lines and new ones padded the repair bill. It may be the old ones rusted and were not reusable.

I won't be going back to the place doing the work. I'll junk the car if I don't have another shop to work on it instead of returning to that shop.

I suspect you would be better off seeing if another good shop can tighten it for you unless you have the right wrenches. I first would diagnose that pushing on the brake causes brake fluid to come out at the connection rather than nearby on the rusted line or through the wall of the valve. I would be afraid of distorting the rusted line or a bad connection unless you have the wrenches for tubing that spread the pressure.

Some H-body cars of that age have developed leaks in brake lines due to rust from salt in Ohio and north. Depends on the car.

Thankyou for your information. I wont be taking my car back to these jerks and this is a well known business so I might make a complaint with the company for trying to fix things that werent even broke or needed to be fixed...Thankyou for the info
    Valve covers tend to develop seeps on these as they age. Some more than others.

The intakes will leak internally or seep around the edges leaving a trail the color of your antifreeze at the end of the plastic top next to the throttle body. That's where the coolant goes up and through to warm the air intake part--the throttle body. If you are losing coolant in the radiator and reservoir when you check every week or so, then you need to be concerned. There are other places llike water pump and connectors that can develop seeps of coolant also.

The brake things need to be checked. You will be losing brake fluid out of the reservoir on the firewall. That is not good. Also if a line is leaking or a connection is leaking it can get worse if you hit the brakes hard and then you're in trouble. It's a safety issue. So have someone else check it.

The company probably won't care if you make a complain so I'd skip it and just tell others about them--if another shop or you decide they really were trying to get you to replace things that weren't needed. Some shops encourage that especially the chain stores.

I have this stupid twilight sentenel on my 1997 buick lasabre and wondering where is the right spot to set it. It just has Min or Max and anywhere in between, but when we are like in the store parked under a light, the lights wont even come on when we drive into darkness unless we manually turn them on so I was wondering whats the best setting for the twilight sentenel or is the sensor for this going out and how do u know for sure if it is? Also what exactly do I take off to get to the sensor? Any help would be appreciated........ty :sick:
    The twilight sentinel doesn't have anything to do with the headlights turning on automatically. It controls the length of time the lights stay on AFTER you turn off the key.

The turning the headlights on when the sensor doesn't get enough light to tell it it's daytime is a different operation. The sensor is buried down in the dash in the grooves for the defroster; if you look down from outside the windshield close to the left radio speaker grill, you'll see the dime-sized sensor for the headlights.

The one interaction the twilight slide switch has with the headlights is that it turns them off if you're in PARK and you slide the switch to the left. As soon as you shift out of PARK the headlights should come back on.

If the headlights aren't turning on automatically, I'd suggest using the regular buttons on the door instead. There is a connector for that sensor under the top of the dash, but I am not sure it's worth trying to get to it.

How would I correct the headlights not coming on when put in drive at night. They work intermittingly. The headlights will turn off when i go under anything with bright light but wont come back on when the car enters a dark area, so I have to stop and messwith the lights to get them to come back on, rather not use the buttons on side of door so if you can suggest what to try or replace I would appreciate it
  • teeny67teeny67 Member Posts: 1
    Had it checked by "auto zone" /" advanced auto"- one of these and he said map sensor.. should i replace it ? what if it the mass air flow? I would be willing to look it upand do it myself..cant afford it bring it to the shop. I have a 2001 buick lesabre.
  • sailfun29sailfun29 Member Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT issue with my Wife's 94 LeSabre. Exactly. Any one come up with a solution? What fixed it?
    Thanks, Roger
    I have a 1997 buick lasabre limited and i was wondering where is the location of the headlight sensor is. I see one above the left radio speaker on the dash but there is another one on the right side, what is that one? Also when I am out at night and I go under a bright street light, the lights go out and I have to push the light button on the door panel to make them come on so what could be causing that problem for the lights to go out?
  • jimrowe2003jimrowe2003 Member Posts: 1
    I was extremely lucky today, the heater core of my 1995 Lesabre started leaking , as it sat in the driveway, I tried to just bypass the heater and the 2 steel lines connecting to the heater core hoses just crumbled, they could have burst on the hyway and I would have been stuck. Anyways I need some instruction and drawings on how to replace these items. Where can I go on the internet to get some free instruction. Thankyou. - Jim
    Not clear on what you mean. Do you mean the two metal lines sticking out through the firewall that the two rubber hoses connect to? Or do you mean the places the hoses connect to near the motor?

If that's a Series I, I believe the plastic connector that's in the middle of the lower intake manifold is prone to deterioration with age and heat. The other connection may also be a plastic item: I can't recall the other Series I hose, but there are some plastic angle tubes that are used on some models. Those may both have been plastic, hence they crumbled. Try the HELP! rack at your auto parts store or ask at the counter. The HELP! is a Dorman product I've been told. The replacement parts should be there.

If you mean the heater core connections..., are you asking how to get the heater core out? That's easy, relatively. It's done from inside the car. Take off a few screws, break loose the sealing putty around the cover on the housing and voila you see the heater core.

The sensor is recessed below the plastic grill that has the little speakers at each end and has the defrost vents. If you have a Limited, you have two bubbles sticking up that are the size of a fingertip. Next to the one in front of the driver is the recess. The sensor is in there; it's the size of a matchhead.

Are you stopping under the bright streetlight? The system should have a delay. When you drive into a tunnel, there's a delay of 5-6 seconds before the headlights come on, and I thought there was the same delay when coming into brightness. When I back out of the garage with the newer leSabre, it turns lights off in about 5-6 seconds and I believe that's what my 98 does.