Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS Electrical/Lighting

2»

Comments

• Options
    bentonbesorebentonbesore Member Posts: 2
    Anybody have some insight to this. I have a 2002 LS and when I drive the interior lights won't turn off. Nothing is ajar and every Lincoln dealership pretends like they don't know what is going on when this can't be the only Lincoln on the planet that has done this. I saw a post earlier that asked the same question but there wasn't a clear cut answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Check the thumbwheel that changes the dash light level. If you turn it all the way it will turn on the interior lights. Also - are you sure the map lights are turned off?
  • Options
    ghoracekghoracek Member Posts: 3
    I was just wondering if anyone has installed the digital HID conversion kit on your LS. I was thinking about getting one but I wasnt sure if it was withr 400 bucks. If anyone has it let me know what you think about it.
  • Options
    mr02lsmr02ls Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    mr02lsmr02ls Member Posts: 2
    I bought and hooked up a plug and play HID kit for my 2002 V6 LS. Each time I would cut the lights on, they would stay on for only about 2 or 3 seconds. I cut the lights on repeatedly, and every time I cut them on this is what happened. Does anybody know what the problem could be? Also, would installing a HID kit compromise the electrical system of the car in any way?
  • Options
    flawls1flawls1 Member Posts: 1
    i got them and there hot
  • Options
    ghoracekghoracek Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    jccrippsjccripps Member Posts: 1
    I think we've already done just about everything there is to do w/our 2000 ls. Had a great time last week trying to figure out how to check the transmission fluid that appeared to be leaking, apparently you can't do that or add any. Turns out it was the power steering fluid that was leaking anyway so had to have the condenser replaced (both fluids are red). I still have an issue with my alarm going off upon entering my vehicle. We've had the dealership look at it and they said that it was the door handle so replaced that and we are still having problems. I've also changed the batteries in the key fobs even though it will still happen if you manually unlock the doors and even if the doors are not locked. I'm sure my neighbors are are sick and tired of hearing it as I am too. My kids are afraid to open the door! Any ideas on this? The dealership also suggested that I spray some lubricant into these 2 small holes on the door which house the plungers and they sometimes stick causing the alarm to sound. I sprayed everywhere I could but really not sure where these 2 little holes are. Our airbag light has been on for years but I've never done anything about it. Also the passenger side heated seat hasn't worked for years either. I'm wondering if it's time to get a new car. I like the looks of this one but this alarm deal has taken it's toll on me! We've replaced all of the coils as well and just put new tires on. Oh yeah, and we had to have the stabilizer bars or something fixed on the front end too. If you can offer any insight, please do. I would really appreciate it! :)
  • Options
    pdn71pdn71 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 LS V6 just started with the interior lights staying on. I finally pulled the associated the relay (#4 in the trunk). This caused some other issues with the right turn signal not working and the tail lights stayed on until I also pulled the fuse (#5 in the trunk). There were other issues with some taillights not working in this configuration. The next day I checked all the taillight bulbs (all good) and reinstalled the fuse and relay. And then everything, including the interior lights, functioned as intended. Apparently there is a CPU somewhere controlling these lights and it may help to cut power and let it reboot. Or it might have been the 100 degree temps I was in when it acted up. Anyone else figure this out? One other thing, when I got the lights working, the interior trunk release switch quit. The key fob still opens the trunk.
  • Options
    pennyllpennyll Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my 5 year old battery right after Christmas 2008. In April 2009 when my carpool dropped me off at the lot, my car would not start. Alarm went off and I was able to turn off with key fob. Friend jumped the battery and car started. Took it right to the dealer and they keep for two days and could not replicate problem.
    On June 22, same thing happened. Friend jumped the battery again and had no problem until July 1. Went out to go somewhere and the car would not start again. This time had car towed as is to the dealer. They have had it almost a week now and cannot replicate the problem. They say they have checked the battery and it is holding a charge but thinking that something is staying on and draining the battery. They say they have put all kinds of voltage meters and checked everything. I tried to talk to the service rep and tell him to make sure that they set everything like I had it - auto lamp delay on, radio on and a/c on then turn car off. Haven't heard from them yet. My extended warranty is up mid-September so I am trying to get this resolved. Any one else have this problem or have any suggestions. Up to now may car has been great and I don't want to purchase anything else at the moment but it scares me to drive far from home and take my carpool to work. Called Ford today and their only suggestion was to take to another dealer which is not that easy.
  • Options
    clairecclairec Member Posts: 4
    Yes!!! Five trips to the dealer, the problem was NEVER replicated, 1500 dollars for fuses..wires.."stuff"...no solution..another new battery..again no solution...I gave up..took the car to a guy working out of his alley garage, he put in an alternator, it's been two years..and everything is fine!! It started for me after I was rear ended, I have no idea but I continue to suspect something came disconnected. Now I have a new problem, two dead cylinders..hate this car.
  • Options
    foursffoursf Member Posts: 1
    Ever since my son had a fender bender, he ran into someone, the auto lamp delay function goes on and off at will (I have always kept it off) with that irritating beep. I have replaced the entire headlight switch but it still is happening. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    darl444darl444 Member Posts: 5
    Car battery is losing its charge. Replaced Battery first, as there was no warning light to indicate it was not being charged. Ran great for about 50 miles of driving, then car started to run rough--probably because the battery was losing a charge, but still did not have the battery discharge warning light. Had a electric system check at Pep Boys--and they said it was the alternator. Replaced the alternator, but have the same problem still. Voltage at battery when car is running is between 11.6 and 11.4. Is there another key electrical component that I should replace?
  • Options
    darl444darl444 Member Posts: 5
    Found the problem...would you believe a lose connecter on the new alternator. Evidently didn't get it seated correctly on the first installation. Works great now.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Glad it was something simple and you got it fixed. :D
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    shelbbyshelbby Member Posts: 1
    I have a linclon ls 2002 and when i go to turn on the heat or ac the door light pops on my dash as if my doors were open, the car locks and no ac or heat.....
    what could it be?
    please help
  • Options
    donmac986donmac986 Member Posts: 2
    battery went dead because car was not used for several months. I tried charging it but the charger would not work because the running lights were turning on. I disconnected the battery and charged it. When I reconnected the battery, the alarm came on and the ignition switch made no noise and the running lights are on and will not turn off.
  • Options
    donmac986donmac986 Member Posts: 2
    battery was dead because I had not started car in several months. I charged battery, but noticed when I re hooked the battery that the running light were on. When I opened th door, the alarm came on. The ignition switch was dead. Any ideas?
  • Options
    w7zbstomw7zbstom Member Posts: 5
    The Problem I Found With The Battery Going DEAD Is Leaving
    The Light Switch In The AutoMatic Position......That Seamed
    To Clear Up ALL My Battery Prolems......Like 3 Trips To The DEALER
    No Problem Found ! Just Put The Headlamp Switch In The OFF
    Position......Then Turn Them On Manually When It Gets Dark....
    Its Been Good For The Last 3 Years.....If You Don't Have An
    Automatic Position On Your Light Switch.....I Don't Know What To Tell
    You....Good luck Tom Custer In Tucson
  • Options
    rickszricksz Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2000 Lincoln LS that the battery goes dead while driving. I have had it in the shop 5 times now. Each time I take it in, they charge the battery and get it started, but can not duplicate the problem. They have no draw on the system, and no prblem with the alternator. Car will run fine for a few weeks or a month then while driving, warning light for traction control comes on, then other warning lights come on, radio goes dead, the car starts to hesitate then goes dead. When trying to re-start, battery is drained. Have pumped it several times and car will run fine for a few weeks, then it happens again. The first time it happened, The shop said it was the battery, so I replaced that, but did not fix problem. Shop has checked all fuses, switches, relays, trunk switch and so on. I never have any indication of a weak battery on start ups. It always happens within a 5 to 10 mile trip. It's driving me crazy. could an alternator work intermittantly? Any suggestion?????
  • Options
    w7zbstomw7zbstom Member Posts: 5
    Sorry....I Have A 2005 LS...Never Run Across That Problem !
    Good Luck...... Tom
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The only thing that makes sense here is a battery drain that takes a few weeks to deplete your battery beyond what the alternator can put back into it. This would especially be true on a car used primarily for short trips.

If this is really driving you nuts, you could perform an experiment. Get yourself a battery shut-off knob installed, and use it when you shut the car off for the day. If the problem goes away, then you know the battery drain was the issue. I'm not sure what effect, if any, shutting the battery down each night might have on radio pre-sets and clock, etc, but this is only a temporary experiment, so.....
  • Options
    Or you have a flaky component that generates a sudden high current draw every so often, draining the battery quickly.
  • Options
    I thought about that but anything that could drain a new battery in ten minutes would undoubtedly blow fuses or start a fire. That's an enormous amount of amperage.
  • Options
    True, but the part that doesn't make sense is that the battery dies completely while driving with an apparently working alternator. If the battery wasn't defective and it cranked the car, I don't see how it could lose charge that quickly while driving.

You could have a short that bypasses the fuse but it would have to be on a heavy duty wire to avoid overheating it.

Another thought would be an intermittent bad ground - that would give the same symptoms but the battery itself would not be drained.
  • Options
    True, but if the battery was heavily discharged over the course of a few weeks, up and down, up and down, it might just have enough to start the car one of those days, but it takes more than short trips to recharge the battery, especially one that's been drained 5 or 10 times already.

Jump starting an utterly dead battery is a good way to kill it in short order.

Another solution might be to install a volt meter that the driver or mechanic can monitor.
  • Options
    sweetbirdsweetbird Member Posts: 1
    Had a similar problem with my 2001 LS. The message board kept saying Check Charging System. I replaced the battery; then I replaced the alternator. The problem kept reoccurring all within a 7 mile drive. Turned out it was an electrical short in the wiring. Had the wiring repaired and my car is running great.
  • Options
    First,I want to thank all you guys and gals that responded to my problem. I have finally sovled the problem with the battery going dead. I decieded to check things out for myself. The first thing I checked was the cable going to the back of the alternator. First, the rubber boot that covers that terminal just crumbled in my hand when I went to remove the cable end. Once I had the cable disconnected I found that the cable end was so corroded that I'm sure that sometimes it would not make positive contact with the alternator. It was just like a corroded battery cable not making good contact with the battery. I have since replaced the cable end and have been driving the car everyday without a problem. I am going to talk to the service manager at the dealership that worked on this problem 3 different times but could never find a thing wrong. Wouldn't you think that that would be one of the first things to check? But seeing that one would have to raise the car up and remove to plastic shields to check, it was easier to check the alternator at the batterty and call it good. At over $100.00 an hour for labor, I think there techs should be a little more diligent in thier work.
  • Options
    First,I want to thank all you guys and gals that responded to my problem. I have finally solved the problem with the battery going dead. I decided to check things out for myself. The first thing I checked was the cable going to the back of the alternator. First, the rubber boot that covers that terminal just crumbled in my hand when I went to remove the cable end. Once I had the cable disconnected I found that the cable end was so corroded that I'm sure that sometimes it would not make positive contact with the alternator. It was just like a corroded battery cable not making good contact with the battery. I have since replaced the cable end and have been driving the car everyday without a problem. I am going to talk to the service manager at the dealership that worked on this problem 3 different times but could never find a thing wrong. Wouldn't you think that that would be one of the first things to check? But seeing that one would have to raise the car up and remove to plastic shields to check, it was easier to check the alternator at the battery and call it good. At over $100.00 an hour for labor, I think there techs should be a little more diligent in their work.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Glad it worked out for you.

As I'm fond of saying, I can screw things up myself for free -- don't need to pay a fortune to get stuff done wrong. I've rarely been impressed (favorably) by the quality of the people I've had to pay to "fix" things on my various vehicles. Once in awhile I get a good one, but mostly, not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    dfastrackdfastrack Member Posts: 1
    hey was just wondering if anyone has some input on charging issue on a 01 ls--replaced alt and battery but still kills the battery over night oh and that is will every fuse pulled on the car as i am sure it is a short somewhere but looking for some help on what mabey to look at,sure would appriate any help on this
  • Options
    totaljetttotaljett Member Posts: 26
    My temperature gauge is dropping to cold and returning to normal while driving. The car starts to buck, stall and surge while driving. The rpms are also revving while car is idle sometimes. These conditions come and go. The CEL came on and all these codes came up P0113, P0123, P0453, P0708, and P0705. Everything has a high input problem going on. What am I dealing with here, thanks.
  • Options
    dperk12dperk12 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    My daughters Lincoln LS has developed many issues at the same time. We're not sure if they are related. First, the battery goes dead every other day if not driven. We replaced it and the A/C started blowing hot air. We have also noticed the cooling fan runs all the time and is very loud. After replacing the battery it still has all the above issues. Battery goes dead every other day and still no A/C. The check engine light stays on as well. We took it to a mechanic, he reset it, turned it off, but it has come back on.
    He was not able to pinpoint the problem. Any ideas?
  • Options
    laglennlaglenn Member Posts: 7
    Help I have a 2001 lincoln ls 3.9 the alarm goes off windows come down and door unlock all by them selves. The remote is no where near it when it happens not sure what to do next.please email me at laglenn63@yahoo.com if you can help PLEASE

Thanks
    Glenn
  • Options
    izzie12izzie12 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I have a 2006 Lincoln Ls V8, fully upgraded. I want to match my fog lamps to my stock HID Headlamps. Does anyone know, what headlights or kit to buy to match them? Please advise, if you guys can help me.

Thank you,

Izzie
  • Options
    jokersmithjokersmith Member Posts: 12
    I got mine at LS Koncepts. They are a really close match to my OEM headlights.
    http://www.lskoncepts.com/store/lighting-lincoln-c-285_295.php
  • Options
    darreldeandarreldean Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 Lincoln ls off craigs list with every penny to my name. I am having the same problem with it. I had to jump it four times just to get it home. Do you know how to fix this issue or at least what is wrong?
  • Options
    draven1draven1 Member Posts: 1
    This just started happening to me , I just bought this car for my family and it's given me over heating problems , thermostat malfunctioning , and now battery problems , and it's only been 3 days after I bought it, please can you help me on giving me directions on where to locate the alternator and the cable that you speak of???? I already fixed the overheating problem by replacing the thermostat housing BASE and the thermostat housing as well as the radiator cap.
  • Options
    clairecclairec Member Posts: 4
    After three unfortunate five hundred dollar wasted trips to the dealer a fix it place replaced my alternator..after a year of this problem it was over, fixed,done.
  • Options
    randyr93randyr93 Member Posts: 1
    Have you fixed this bc I have this same problem?
  • Options
    lsownerlsowner Member Posts: 2
    I was suffering from repeated battery failures due to undercharging. The use of the vehicle was many short trips of 2-3 miles each. I solved the problem by installing a battery maintainer. I set it on the back seat, ran the wire through the folding seat to the battery in the trunk. I plug it in daily through the back door window for about 45 minutes or until the maintainer shuts off. No further problem in 4-5 years. The car is garaged.