Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Starting/Stalling

gr8tworldgr8tworld Member Posts: 1
edited December 2019 in Lincoln
I have a question that maybe you can help me with-
My Lincoln LS doesn't start sometimes. It started last year, it will eventually start after it sits for awhile, purchased a new key (programed it), changed two different parts and still continues to not start. I brought it to the lincoln place and they couldn't figure it out. It didn't do it for 6 months now then did it for two days straight. Do you have any ideas or help for me? THANKS :cry:

Comments

• benmbenm Member Posts: 8
    It's been trouble-free for more than 2 years until this morning. It started right away the second time but died after a few seconds before even reaching the normal idle speed. After several attempts with the same results, I decided to call roadside assistsance. I was told the tow truck will take no more than an hour and did arrive in about 40 minutes which wasn't that bad. I should have ask for a flatbed but forgot because of the excitement/frustration. That was my first mistake. The tow driver however quickly sensed my concern. He gingerly hoisted the front end and assured me none of the underbody will touch the ground. Earlier, while waiting for the tow truck, I alerted the Lincoln dealer I'm having the car towed. The service manager said he'll keep an eye on it and let me know when it arrives. He did call me back and left a voicemail. When I called back, their service dept. just closed for the weekend being a Saturday. Mistake two, I should have told him right away I needed a loaner which they always provided free especially on weekends. So I don't forget the next time, I left myself a note inside the car manual pouch next to the roadside assistance card - ASK FOR A FLATBED AND A LOANER CAR! Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone who has experienced the same starting problem and how it was correctly fixed. Thanks and so sorry for the long story.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Fuel pump? Bad gas?
  • benmbenm Member Posts: 8
    Picked up the car tonight and the problem they attributed it to is the original PCV valve which gets easily clogged and chokes off the air. Am told they just came out with an improved one per their technical service bulletin (?) which they installed and should prevent similar reoccurence. So for those with 03 V6 (am not sure if it applies to V8s) you may want to jump the gun.
    There have been a few reports of a loose connection behind the ignition key which causes it to behave as if an unauthorized key is being used.
  • klaeklae Member Posts: 3
    my 01 has been having some difficulty starting, it doesn't want to start on the first shot it usually takes two tries and cranks a good bit before it fires. anyone have any suggestions?
    Have you changed the fuel filter?
  • onlyfordsonlyfords Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever figure this out? We're having the same probs with our '00 LS. We replaced the PATS and still won't start - mainly in the am. If the car sits and the car warms from the sun it will start - eventually!
    Someone had this problem a few years ago. Turned out to be loose wiring behind the ignition switch. When the wires are cold they don't make contact but they expand when heated.
  • onlyfordsonlyfords Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, after the dealer had it for a week and replacing a wire loom as suggested by a TSB and getting the car back in the afternoon, come Monday @5am it wouldn't start AGAIN. So, in addition to tearing the whole dash apart and checking all the wiring connections at the ignition, my husband decided to change the ingition switch also and it has started every morning since. Now, if we can just figure out the problem with the a/c, I'll be a happy driver!
  • jlvprofmjlvprofm Member Posts: 1
    I have a random cranking to start problem that the Lincoln mechanics cannot diagnose. It occurs at any time, under any condition. The engine cranks for 6 to 8 seconds, but fails to start. After 3 to 7 cranking attempts, the engine finally starts. I have had it towed to the dealer, but it started once there and they couldn't determine the problem. They did replace the fuel pump, and the car started every time for 6 months, than back to the random cranking problem. Anyone had this annoying problem and found a solution?
  • mslsmsls Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I took it to the repair shop and they said it was the crank shaft sensor...well guess what...today my car didn't start. I called the shop and they are totally puzzled. I think its the starter or the fuel pump or something. If I drive it a far distance, you better believe if I cut it off - it will not crank. I have to wait an hour for it to finally crank. If I travel a short distance and cut the car off- it will crank back up. This is totally aggravating and embarrassing. I will be taking it back again tomorrow. As soon as I find the answer, I will send you a message. What is the deal with these cars...I thought this was suppose to be a luxury car.
  • nanarw0212nanarw0212 Member Posts: 1
    my LS wont start I have had it at the dealership 3 times they still can not figure it out. My battery is good when the problem started i checkd the volts in the battery it showed ok.
    when it finally decides to start i have checkd the alternator it also is ok the wires on the battery are ok also. my dealer first said it was the battery but when it wont start you can cut on the lights, radio etc. and the lights dont even dim when you turn the key.
    I have tried jumping it off and still does not help after a while of sitting and waiting it usually starts. not what you except when you drive a LINCOLN!!!! I dont think my dealer is going to be able to help me. I may have to file LEMON law
    any one out their can help fell free to do so thanks
    Have them check the wiring behind the ignition switch. It might be loose causing the computer not to recognize the key.
  • itobor425itobor425 Member Posts: 1
    My wife just traded a 97 Cougar on an 04 LS because shop couldn't find the problem. Crank sensor, worked fine for 5 days then no start again. Dealer replaced XX, worked for 2 days, etc.This went on for a month & $$$$.
    Like the movie ground hog day.
    Sure hope we don't go through this with the LS, she loves the LS. :shades:
  • noshanknoshank Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 with 13,000 miles on it. March of 2006 I took it to the dealer because it took a long time to start and cranked slowly. They said the battery was bad and replaced it. January 2007 it died in their service line when I brought it in for an oil change. They couldn't find any problem and just charged the battery, telling me they see that problem on an LS from time to time. One month later it died again, just clicked, and I needed a road service jump. They couldn't find anything wrong. Told me the problem was the low mileage. Said I needed to drive it at least 30 miles at a time to charge the battery. Gave me a trickle charger and told me to charge it once a week. It died four days later. After another road service jump I took it back to the dealer. They had it two days and again couldn't find anything wrong. Told me to charge it twice a week. I checked the lemon law and found the first problem had to occur within the first year of ownership. My first problem occurred at the 19th month mark, so I'm out of luck.
    I'd find another dealer if possible. It's either another bad battery, bad cable connection to the battery or bad ground, or a constant drain. A competent shop should be able to diagnose the slow drain or a bad cell pretty quickly.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I concur with akirby. Find a competent dealer service dept. I've got a choice of two and it took me a long time to realize how inferior the one is to the other. Now, even though the other is 30 miles further away, they get my business.

FYI - there were some early issues I believe with battery drainage and I *think* the issues were traced to the long cabling from the engine to the battery (in the trunk). You could always call the Lincoln customer service line. THough that's usually an exercise in extreme fultility, at least IME.

Good luck. It's on of the best cars on the road. I hope u get this solved quickly.
  • lsgreatnesslsgreatness Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2002 ls and just yesterday it did something that made me want 2 crash it into a wall ..too bad it wont start...i started driving and everyting was fine and about half way down the block they abs and traction light came on then the battery and oil light. the car then died and will not start i think its the altinator but i could be wrong SOMEONE PLEASE HELP :sick: :sick:
  • clairecclairec Member Posts: 4
    EXACTLY!! MY PROBLEM!

I've had it into the dealership five times since December, two batteries, many checkups, a fuse or so later, I continue to "die" in traffic. First the radio goes off, then back on, the traction light warning light then everything goes dead. If I come back after a few hours the battery will charge enough for me to drive it home. After that it may run for two weeks. They can not decide what is wrong, everything checks out fine. The last time I called he said bring it in and we will replace the alternator, (maybe he said it has an intermittent issue), I haven't taken it in for this , as they've already "taken"1300 dollars since December and it isn't fixed yet. I have a 2001 LS v8 with 38,000 miles on it. It was hit in the back in December, requiring a new bumper, adjustments to the back right panel,trunk and the fuel door. I was shocked after the repairs when it just "died" in traffic with no warning, and thought it was related to the accident, no one seems to know.
  • kargkarg Member Posts: 20
    My 2000 LS V6 has essentially been flawless and just rolled over 100,000 the other day.

I recently started having 'starting' problems. I would turn the key and get 'nothing.' This was very eratic and not very regular in the beginning. Then it became more and more problemic. It would typically start after a few tries.

Then it wouldn't start at all once - so I just figured it was the cellinoid (sp?) on the starter - so I replace with a rebuilt and all was fine for a week - then it resurfaced. I researched my workshop DVD (stupid me - I should have done this first...)

It listed the fuses and relays as a check. Well, before you panic or take to a dealer, check the starter relay. That was my LS's problem from the get go. It is in the electrical box in the engine compartment. If you're facing the engine from the front. It is in the first row, second from left (manual shows where). I swapped out the one behind it in the 2nd row (heated windshield relay - same relay part) and it started instantly and every time since.

The part was $8 at the local Ford garage. Check that - if you are having a similar problem.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Excellent. Thanks.

So far, so good with my '00 LS V6 sport bought new w/ 121K.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • mrtfmmrtfm Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 LS it has been a good car, however for about 3 months now I have to crank it awhile to start it once it starts it runs great and sometimes it starts right up. I run premium gas in it and I am fairly fluent in auto repair but im perplexed with this one. Also while running the air conditioning sometimes the passenger side will start blowing heat all by itsself. If anyone has any insight they could share it would be greatly appreciated.
    Do you smell gas when it fails to crank right away? Could be a leaky injector.

The climate control issue is a known problem - could either be the blend door or the control module. Probably best left to the dealer to diagnose and repair.
  • mrtfmmrtfm Member Posts: 3
    Yes i do smell gas when it does this it actually has gottem worse. How do I check the injectors to find the faulty one? I appreciate the info on the climate control.

Thanks,

Todd
    One way is to pull the spark plugs and check for gas. Otherwise a mechanic should be able to test the injectors.
  • lmh1979lmh1979 Member Posts: 1
    My Lincoln Ls wont start at times. I can jump it and runs great. No problems. Then a few weeks later the same problem. I drive to the store. Go in come back out and it wont start. All the lights, radio and everything work perfectly. Turn the key and nothing. I get a jump and the car runs perfect. The battery is fine as is the alternator. It makes no sense to me. Any ideas?
  • gwennie68gwennie68 Member Posts: 2
    my lincoln ls v8 did the same thing and it is a common promblem in these cars. Hot air blows out of vents, it is the DCCV that needs replaced. Mine works great now since Ford replaced it. If you google "lincoln LS DCCV" a link will come up on how to replace it.
  • lkystartinglinlkystartinglin Member Posts: 1
    I know there is some people that may have some bigger problems with their Lincoln but I wanted to add my experience because I just went through a bunch of work for what was the simplest fix. I went to start my car last night and it took two try's I assumed maybe it was just because it was cold and didn't think twice about it. The next morning when I went to start it at first the lights came on then nothing. Not a single sound when I turned the key. I assumed it was the battery since not even the lights turned on. So I went out and bought a new battery. Replaced it. Then tried to start it again. Nothing. Then popped the hood and after checking fuses I shut it the lights flicked again. So I went in the back to the trunk to double checked the connections. Everything was fine. So I then jiggled the ground wire that is attached to the side of the trunk finally the lights come on. I position the wire and tighten it. Boom car starts. The ground wire does look a bit beat up so it will get replaced. I had no clue this could be the problem. Just thought I'd post encase it is useful to someone else! :blush:
  • dmar1dmar1 Member Posts: 3
    Just had this same problem tonight, very sudden. This is not a starting problem, while driving the check engine, ABS and traction control trouble light come on, then the radio dies, then the head lights go out, then the dashbord panel lights. You can still drive just no electrical working. Did anyone find a fix to this?
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    "So I then jiggled the ground wire that is attached to the side of the trunk finally the lights come on. I position the wire and tighten it. Boom car starts. The ground wire does look a bit beat up so it will get replaced. I had no clue this could be the problem. Just thought I'd post encase it is useful to someone else! "

This is great info, thanks for posting. Probably will save someone sometime. Can u be more specific as to exactly where this ground wire is that you tightened? Passenger side? Where does it connect? Thanks much
  • dmar1dmar1 Member Posts: 3
    Turns out the alternator had high resistance. It was able to deliver some charging amperage but at low output, that's why the charging light did not report a problem. Even a check on the charging system said the alternator was in spec. However, when everything is on while driving the battery would slowly discharge . Swapped out the alternator and all is well. Make sure dielectric grease is applied to the connector, the alternator is mounted very low and subject to road splash causing corrosion.

Went to Certigard in SE Calgary, $118 for labour and I provided a new 110Amp unit from Alternator and Supply Depot for $120 after core exchange ($50), so $238 total. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
  • gmoodygmoody Member Posts: 1
    I have been dealing with the same issue for over a year now....the dealer just replaced the fuel pump....they told me that their diagnostic machine finally was able to read the problem....I am taking it back in because after $550. it still has a slow start and I have to crank on it!
  • coyconutcoyconut Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 v8. I go out in the morning and try to start it and it cranks but doesn't turn over. This is really wierd. I let the fan run for about five minutes and go out and pump the gas aobut 30 times and it starts right up. The mechanic said the fuel filter was fine. The tranny has all been replaced. New battery. Spark plugs were all fine. The mechanic says the security system may not be recognizing my key? I have had to have it jumped a couple of times after wearing down the battery trying to start it. It does fine in warm weather but in the cold is when I have this problem. Is the ingnition switch the problem or the wires behind it?
  • phily23phily23 Member Posts: 1
    Kind of a wierd problem, but after you engage the cruise control on my 2000 Lincoln LS then slow to stop when you start to go again the car stutters and acts like it misses. Then when you stop again and start going everything is fine until you activate the cruise control again and repeat the process.

It does this when the A/C is on or off and there are no check engine lights or anything on to give me a
    read as to what is causing the miss.

Thanks for any help,
    Phil
  • rhonda717rhonda717 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, Where do I start? We live in the country and what I think was maybe a squirrel or something, got under the hood and chewed up the vacuum hose and three small round things on the top drivers side of the motor. So my husband fixed everything, the car ran for about a day and a half and now when you start it, it will run for about 7 or 8 seconds and then either shuts straight off or sputters around a few seconds then dies!!! My car is a 2000 Lincoln LS V6. Can someone help us please?
    Sounds like he didn't really fix everything, or he put something back incorrectly. You'll probably need a mechanic to figure it out if it isn't obvious.
    I don't remember exactly how the cruise control works, but it sounds like something on the cruise control isn't disengaging properly until you manually hit the throttle again. Check the throttle linkage.
  • jlclsjlcls Member Posts: 2
    I have an issue with cold weather starts. The engine cranks but won't start and then the car alarm goes off! I had this happen three times in a row. People in the parking lot were of course staring at me. After sitting for about 20 minutes I finally got the car started. Does anyone have any ideas about the cause of this issue? :confuse:
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I was driving my LS home last night and all of a sudden the engine died. It would crank and start for a second and die again. The temps in Minneapolis have been around zero or below and I had less than a quarter tank of fuel so I suspected gas line freeze. Of course, I also feared fuel pump failure or some other expensive problem.

I had the car flat-bedded to the dealer where they parked it inside for the night. This morning, it still wouldn't start and stay running. They ran their usual tests and fuel and electrical systems were A-OK. The problem? A big fat bug of some species had found his way into the mass air flow sensor. They cleaned his carcass out of there and it runs fine.

Always check the simple stuff first.
  • nlinebanlineba Member Posts: 1
    I have this exact problem except it is not isolated to cold weather. It has been going on for 6 months. Please relay the fix if you get one. :confuse:
  • tschiffertschiffer Member Posts: 1
    Did you find anything out about your starting problem? I am experiencing the same problem and don't know what to do next. The car has good fuel pressure and is getting spark, but will not fire up. Any information on this issue would greatly be appreciated
  • cory7cory7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 LS. When I get up in the morning and try to start my car up and takes about 10 seconds for it to turn over(start up). And when it starts up I can get a strong fuel smell from cranking it. But if I was to jut turn the car off and then start it back up within a few minutes it will turn right on. But let me let it sit for a couple hours then it starts doing it again(taking forever to start up). Can someone please give me some info on what the problem can be.And yes my CEL is on.And it jus reads that I am having a misfire. But I know that the misfire cannot be causing my car to have sart up problems.
  • squidnomoresquidnomore Member Posts: 9
    Check your battery. Go to a shop and have them load test it. If you have a dying/dead cell it will behave like that.
  • cory7cory7 Member Posts: 2
    i got the battery recharged before and i still have the problem.
    Leaky fuel injector.
  • spank2300spank2300 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ls v8 and every once in awile it stalls if i just crank it it wont start but if i turn the ingnition off then crank it it will start back and be fine for awile i've changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs with no luck can anybody help me
    Not sure, but check the fuel pressure - could be the fuel pump.
  • jlclsjlcls Member Posts: 2
    I had a mechanic tell me that sometimes if the battery is weak that it will take to long to start the car and that is what makes the alarm go off. I replaced the battery and haven't had a problem since!
  • elars34elars34 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2000 LS a year and half ago and had problems the first winter. It started off by not starting after refueling. I would have to try 3 or 4 times for it to finally start. It also struggles to start in the cold. Then i had problems idling, occassionally the car would jsut sputter then shut off whiel sitting at an intersection. Finally, when i accel hard to start off, or if i accel moderatly when i get to the speed of about 40 mph, the car shifts and begins to studder unless i accel very slowly. This only happens until i get up to about 50, but still happens if i accel hard. Can anyone give me some help on what may be wrong? I have taken it to multiple places and they blame one thing or another with no avail.
    Sounds like the fuel pump. There are 2 of them in the fuel tank. Check those and replace the fuel filter.