Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• jgenovesejgenovese Member Posts: 220
    Please report your failure to NHTSA and also to The Center for Auto Safety.This is the same failure we all have experienced althought it appears as though yours may have been less catostrophic. One way or another it is CRITICAL that you report your failure to both NHTSA and The Center for Auto Safety.

Thanks,

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • doodlealldaydoodleallday Member Posts: 31
    When are these bozos going to ask for a recall - every day or so there is a new post - just think how many out there who are not reporting. This is absolutely rediculous.
  • shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    The "bozos" don't care, that's why no recall. like myself, they know soon we'll have to pass the "death trap" on....or junk it. ( which is what i'll do,junk it) Obama, or Gov. don't care, they can't clean an oil spill. My lemon's been on here 2 yrs. now. all futher it will be noticed. Ford has lost out though.... family & friends NOMORE FORD JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lemon: :lemon: = FORD
  • winterbornwinterborn Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Looks like I've got pretty much the same problem as other people here. I was commuting to work on a busy road when everything cut out. The engine was still running but the power steering and assisted breaks were gone and the accelerator didn't work. I'm a young female driver and I could not stop or steer the vehicle. Lucky for me I had just passed a yellow light and the traffic behind me didn't make it through.
    I'm 600 km from home working a summer job so when I called for a tow I just let them take me to the closest mechanic's place. I have no experience with cars so I pretty much let them do their thing. They first told me it was a cam sensor problem then it changed into the problem of whatever runs the sensors. I believe it's the PCM but I'm not sure and they didn't bother explaining. They told me the fix was at least $1000 and that there was only one such unit available in all of North America and it just happened to be in the city where I'm at. I bullsh*t alarm went off at this point. But I'm a broke student who relies on my vehicle for my job and they've got my van ripped apart in their shop. A shop I can't get to without a vehicle.
    I'm wondering what everyone else paid for their PCM because I'm pretty sure these guys are just messing with me.
    I paid $1600 for a torque converter (refurbished) - I thought that was a lot of money but I have seen on this forum that some have paid more and some less so I guess my repair cost was fair.
  • jgenovesejgenovese Member Posts: 220
    Remember,
    These are the same BOZOS who knew about Toyota's acceleration issues since at least 2007 but didn't take any action until a high profile fatal crash occurred as a result of the defect. Unfortunately, NHTSA seems to be reactive and not proactive, in spite of overwhelming evidence of a problem, and typically doesn't act until someone gets killed. This is unacceptable and we must keep up the pressure on NHTSA to take action.
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Welcome to America. Home of the Corporate rip off.

You have to call and demand action from Ford. The dealership has to get reimbursed from the manufacture. Ford has secret warranties that is at their digression to reduce that bill. Make sure you tell Ford that you know there is a TSB on this problem. The dealership will still charge something, but fight for your rights! My $1000.00 PCM replacement went to $250.00, but it still did not solve the issues. Make sure that they replace all connections because there may be corrosion.

I would start looking for a replacement vehicle if you can afford to because it may be more cost effective, but more so, you will be a heck of a lot safer.

Good luck.
    https://web2.westlaw.com/expo/linkviewer.wl?RS=WLW6.06&VR=2.0&SV=Split&FN=_top&M- T=Bankruptcy&TF=649&TC=1&RD=AN-ANAUTOLR&standalone=Y

Transmission Torque Converters: WARRANTY, OTHER CLAIMS SURVIVE AGAINST FORD, Daigle v. Ford Motor Co., 29 No. 24 Westlaw Journal Automotive 9, Westlaw Journal Automotive May 25, 2010
    A Minnesota federal judge has allowed class-action, breach-of-warranty and unjust-enrichment claims to move forward against Ford Motor Co. for allegedly designing minivans with faulty transmission torque converters. Plaintiffs Rex Lindsay, James Genovese, Henri Caron, Sylvester Hobbs and Edward Daigle say their 2004-2006 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans have defective torque converters that cause the vehicles to lose power to the wheels.Their class action alleges six claims against F...
    My new hero. Here's to ya Judge Michael J. Davis!!!!
  • olangolang Member Posts: 6
    Same here. Here to you JUDE MICHAEL J. DAVIS!!!!!
    About time someone does something on the behalf of us Ford mini van owners.
    It cost us several thousand dollars.
  • turtle45turtle45 Member Posts: 4
    If it was a foreign car it would have been recalled and fixed
    THANK YOU JUDGE MICHAEL J. DAVIS!!!!!!!! WHY AREN'T THE REST OF US ON THE CLAIM? TURNED MINE IN GOING ON 2 YRS. ON HERE & SAFETY. MINE WILL GO OUT AGAIN ACCORDING TO GARAGE. PLEASE HELP US.
  • ThirstybootsThirstyboots Member Posts: 8
    So is the James Genovese the same Jim Genovese from this Edmund's forum? If so, thank you for your continued pressure on Ford for me and all other victims.
    Cathy in MD
  • ThirstybootsThirstyboots Member Posts: 8
    So after reading the post about the Minnisota case, I googled Ford class action Freestar and found ths!
    http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=932

Anyone know anything about this?
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    "There are several criticisms of class action lawsuits.[13] The preamble to the Class Action Fairness Act stated that some abusive class actions harmed class members with legitimate claims and defendants that have acted responsibly; adversely affected interstate commerce; and undermined public respect for the country's judicial system."

Class members often receive little or no benefit from class actions. Examples cited for this include large fees for the attorneys, while leaving class members with coupons or other awards of little or no value; unjustified awards are made to certain plaintiffs at the expense of other class members; and confusing notices are published that prevent class members from being able to fully understand and effectively exercise their rights.
    "In the United States, class lawsuits sometimes bind all class members with a low settlement. These "coupon settlements" (which usually allow the plaintiffs to receive minimal benefit such as a small check or a coupon for future services or products with the defendant company) are a way for a defendant to forestall major liability by precluding a large number of people from litigating their claims separately, to recover reasonable compensation for the damages. However, existing law requires judicial approval of all class action settlements, and in most cases class members are given a chance to opt out of class settlement, though class members, despite opt-out notices, may be unaware of their right to opt-out because they did not receive the notice, did not read it, or did not understand it.

The Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 addresses these concerns. Coupon Settlements may be scrutinized by an independent expert before judicial approval in order to ensure that the settlement will be of value to the class members. 28 U.S.C.A. 1712(d). Further, if the action provides for settlement in coupons, the attorney must take a corresponding part of his fee in coupons. 28 U.S.C.A. 1712(a)."
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    See link below for info on the case (page 12);

http://www.mww.com/pdf/Westlaw_Automotive_Journal_MWK.pdf
    edited June 2010
    The problem with class action suits is that the attorneys and the lead plaintiff are the ones who make money and the automotive manufacture (Ford) will settle to keep thing quite. The other issue is for those who are not original owners of the automobile will never receive any type of notice about the lawsuit or settlement.

However, what alternative is left for those of us who have attempted to rectify this issue with Ford? What would you recommend?
  • bbb_bbbbbb_bbb Member Posts: 7
    I can now be added to the growing list of problems with the transmission. When the torque converter goes it goes without warning. I parked my van in the driveway on a Monday night and Tuesday morning it wouldn't move. I have since found out that not only was it the torque converter but I need to have the transmission rebuilt. When getting the torque converter replaced other issues inside the transmission were discovered. I have less than 60,000 miles on the van. I bought it new and at the time I thought Ford could be trusted. After talking to a person at the Ford Corporation they said I could find out how much the repair would cost. If it turned out to be expensive maybe they could work out a good trade for me on a new car. My reply was if I can't get 60,000 miles out of why would I want another one from you. I didn't receive a reply.
    Please file a complaint with NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety. If I were you, I would call Ford back and complain again and again until they do something. Also, when you talk to them, MAKE SURE THAT THEY KNOW the safety concern. I would send them a registered letter demanding that they fix the faulty transmission that they should have recalled!
  • kisskrazedkisskrazed Member Posts: 5
    We just took at trip from Ohio to Virginia,Tenn, and guess what, the transaxle light came on and flashed dang near the entire trip. I just had the torque converter output shaft (rebuilt tranny) replaced in December 09. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA as well after the first failure at 54,000. I'm taking it back tomm morning to the place where the warranty is still in effect. It's gotta be fixed, as we are going even farther south in August. I just wanted to keep everyone updated that we too had yet another failure after a "fix". I'll keep you posted.
    I do plan to file a complaint with NHTSA. I will have my van back today. The whole transmission had to be rebuilt. Several other problems were found. I plan to file as soon as I get the paperwork on everything that needed replacing.
    If you felt that you family or your safety was in jeopardy, please make sure that Ford understands the peril you felt. I would also ask for documentation that the conversation took place, or have some kind of record. I have many emails that I sent to the Ford Customer Service.

Ford needs to assist so many with the repair bills for these vehicles. Hope Ford is placed first in the hall of shame!
    Now that Chrysler has just recalled some vans MAYBE, just MAYBE Ford will step up to the plate and do likewise. However, don't hold your breath.
  • 40merc40merc Member Posts: 1
    Bought my Mercury Monterey on 3-28-05 with 9521 miles on it! In December of 2007 the transmission went out. Had it towed to the Mercury dealer I bought it from with 49,326 miles on it. I knew I was over factory warranty, but I had bought extended warranty thru the dealer. Dealership asked me if I had run the car into high water as the car had water in tranny! I said absolutley not. Extended warranty people said they would not cover the tranny as it had water in tranny. Ford in turn said they would cover 1500.00 and I would have to pay 1197.28! I mentioned that there was a possible problem with the tranny vent location letting water in! On my repair bill there is a note that says they relocated the vent! I took the extended warranty people to small claims court and got 1100.00 refund plus court costs. The reman tranny they put in had a 12 month warranty or 12,000 miles! Well at 79,000 miles (6-11-10) I had my scheduled oil change and the tranny oil changed (30,000 miles on reman tranny)! Had my car computor checked for codes! Well wouldn't you know a tranny problem come up for 2nd shift! Mercury was traded on 6-14-10! I have bought Fords or Mercury's since the 60's! No more!!! Ford can take a hike! I will be giving Ford some real good advertisment!!!
    I would love to have some good ideas for advertisement. Any that you want to share?
  • spade2613spade2613 Member Posts: 1
    I tried to go to the link yet I could not. I am newest victim of the FORD faulty Torque Converter. On the way home from church this afternoon it went out leaving my wife and children stranded while I was working out of town. Is Ford going to stand behind their product as this is a common problem? It looks like even thou I will get it repaired tomorrow that it will only happen again as other owners are having continued problems. Who do I need to contact in order to help out the cause for us Freestar owners?
    Minn. Judge, I've been on here for 2 yrs. this Nov. NO PROGRESS. I still own FORD'S piece of junk! Only waiting for trans. to go again. I want to travel 97 miles to my sister's home, and scared to cause of this undependable piece of crap..... We need a tune up on our van, but don't want to invest another 10 cents on it! never knowing when trans. going out AGAIN. So all the best of luck to you in any contacts. It's been waste of time for us. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • tervmomtervmom Member Posts: 12
    Nadineb - what e-mail address do you have for Ford Customer Service?? Any special person??
    crcfmc@ford.com is the address. Keep all your transactions with them.

This the response that I received from Ford about them making this issue right, "The dealership has made an assessment based upon Ford warranty and policy. They are in the best position to determine the amount of assistance that will be provided. In this case, the dealer offered some assistance and we encourage you to speak with the Service Manager/Customer Relations Manager in regards to their decision in this matter."
  • 757tech757tech Member Posts: 1
    From what I have found out about the PMC is that it gets wet from poor drainage just above it. When it gets wet you can loose reverse, engine will stall or not run at all. Also will make the van feel like it has a miss. Which my van did all of these. The fix is to replace the PMC which can be picked up 395.00 from autozone. Have mechanic put a cover over the PMC's plug so that new PMC will not get wet. I did mine in 3 hours. 550.00 to 700.00 should be the charge for the PMC and install. Also some think that the PMC which controls the engine and the transmission when it is wet it is shifting the transmission improperly putting extra stress on the torque converter which may be the cause it to fail. Also put amsoil in transmission it will help.
    edited June 2010
    Where are the Ford engineers, and why can't or why won't they solve these issues?

I do not understand why or how this company can put so many at such a high risk of being severely injured or killed.

Ford is my BP (British Petroleum)!

Maybe our government only takes on foreign companies?
  • jdsskijdsski Member Posts: 1
    Great family trip comes to an end unhappily as we drove up an incline in our 2004 Ford Freestar. Go to pass a truck, press on the gas.......tachometer revs up but car is actually coasting (at least that's what it feels like).

Since we are going up a good incline, I use whatever momentum I have to pull over. Barely make it over to the side but the driver's side door is precariously close to the roadway.

After several near misses with passing traffic, I try everything.....reverse, drive, neutral.....nothing. Care doesn't even appear to come out of park, won't roll back down the hill (at least one good thing).

Highway motorcycle patrol arrives. tells me I can't be there and a "wrecker" is on the way. get towed. it's late on a Sunday so no shop is open, vehicle has to be stored.

I called the guy at the transmission place and once I describe the vehicle (make,model,year), he chuckles and says, I can almost guarantee you I already know the problem. Yup, he's seen this many times before. and now that I've looked on the internet, I see it too! I tell the guy I hope it's something else (like maybe a linkage). He says don't count on it.

well, it's the transmission. rebuild or new (I just have to get this vehicle back home from 450 miles away). Family is unhappy with Ford. I AM UNHAPPY WITH FORD.

I have owned Fords since my 1995 Windstar. I service all my cars religiously at the dealer. The Windstar was simply sold because repair costs (flagged as concerns by the shop) kept increasing and I was told, it's just an "old car." So I go buy two more Fords. This Freestar and the transmission failure is the last straw. The shop had the vehicle 2 weeks before the failure and after its "report card" gave it a clean bill and blessed us on our trip. I've never had a vehicle of any kind leave us on the side of the road like this, that's why I keep them properly serviced. I have my records too.

I'm done with Ford. the car will be repaired but I am going to see if I can trade it in and get back at least what I've dumped into a rebuilt transmission. 76k and the transmission fails despite 2 weeks prior the dealer said the car was ok, ridiculous.
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    We had a Windstar too and nothing ever went wrong with it. So we bought the 2004 Freestar in 2006. It's not the transmission...but the torque converter. It went on us twice now. The first time was when we were at 79,000 and now again a couple a months ago at 130,000. Something really needs to get done about this. I just find it hard to believe no one can help us.
    NO ONE CARES....I BEEN ON HERE 2 YEARS, AS SAID BEFORE. TOO BAD WE DIDNT BUY TOYATOS...LEAST THEY HAVE RECALLS. NEVER OWN NOTHER FORD.(F--FIX OR REPAIR DAILY).. I SEEN A FORD WITH LEMON SIGN ON IT...WILL DO SAME. WE'VE TOLD EVERYONE WE COME IN CONTACT WITH HOW UNFAIR FORD IS!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    I have an idea: let everyone that has posted on this forum that has experienced transmission problems inundate Ford Motor Co by phone and letter as well as NHTSA and Center for Auto Safety not once but daily and let's see if we can get something going. I am 73 years old and I fear that my tranny will go out a second time. I would get rid of my van but I can't afford to.
    Let me hear from all of you!!!!
  • yipman_styleyipman_style Member Posts: 10
    Why the lack of press on Ford? Because Ford is suppose to be the golden child on how an American auto company can turn around. Press don't want to ruin their image. Afterall, we need to buy American...oh..I mean Canadian.
  • 04mercmonterey04mercmonterey Member Posts: 3
    I'd be interested to do a poll to see how many of the folks who have had multiple torque converter failures have gotten their vans fixed at the Ford dealer vs. independent shops. My independent shop did everything but totally assure me that my converter shouldn't fail again because he uses a "heavy duty" torque converter and that the folks who have had re-failures have those re-failures because they're getting the same faulty part from Ford. So here's my question to everyone: of those of you who have had more than one failure, where did you get it fixed? I'm hoping what my transmission guy told me is true.
    I didn't use Ford. I went to a transmission shop in town. They use the heavy duty too. I wouldn't go to Ford because I thought they would replace it with the same type and didn't want the problem again.
  • 04mercmonterey04mercmonterey Member Posts: 3
    Did you have a re-failure? You didn't really mention. Or is this your first?
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    Yes, mine was a re-failure. Ours first went at 79,900 miles. The replacement by Ford lasted 50,000 miles and it just went again about two months ago. My husband is a heavy equip diesel mechanic and we fixed it ourselves this time. We did use another Ford torque converter so we'll see how long it'll last.
    Funny, but oh so.........true! You need a sense of humor to get through this. Happy Fourth!
  • annamariaannamaria Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford Freestar with about 103,000 miles on it. Just dropped off the kids and was driving on I-4 about 45-50 mph when the van hesitated. I was just moving into the fast lane when I pushed down on the gas pedal and nothing! I had no acceleration at all! I quickly looked into my rearview mirror as cars were rushing around me...I pushed on my emergency lights and tried to coast off of the interstate and down a ramp and then ended up in the middle of an intersection where some nice people pushed me into a parking lot! Very scary. Now Ford tells me it is my torque convertor and will run about $2200 or more. This is my 2nd Ford van and it will be my last!!!
  • lmk7lmk7 Member Posts: 2
    For those interested, I'm complaint # 10283719 at NHTSA. I would encourage anyone driving a Ford Freestar 2005 with a transmission problem to file a complaint with NHTSA. My 2005 Freestar's trany died at 133,000 km ((82,460 miles) without warning in my driveway. I was lucky as many of the complaints I've read (either on the NHSTA website or at www.aboutautomobiles.com/Complaint/2005/Ford/Freestar/Automatic+Transmission) recount stories of people suddenly without power on busy highways or expressways.

Now I'm taking Ford Canada to Small Claims Court here in Montreal, Canada; my court date is July 14, 2010. I'm looking for a current or ex-Ford mechanic who'd be willing to testify on my behalf. I found a current Ford mechanic at Justanswer.com, however he won't testify for fear of losing his job. And when I asked the dealership where I bought the car for the name and telephone number of its ex-Service manager, I got nowhere.

I'd also like to hear from people who have taken Ford court in the USA or Canada. Their experiences may be very helpful in case.

I can be reached at lmk@lesliemkatonacga.com.
    This was is the first. My van had only 57,689 miles on it. I hope this is the last problem I have with it.
  • capiniaccapiniac Member Posts: 1
    Already filed my NHTSA complaint for the Freestar with 71,000 miles. I am looking for advice on how to narrow the problem between Torque Converter and Tranny. Took it to the Ford dealer and he says tranny (without disassembly) and $4500. I don't know whether he measured pump pressure or what but I don't trust them because they let their mechanics up sell the customer. The car generates no codes at all but like every one else just dropped power to the wheels and hasn't moved on its own since.
  • lstlst Member Posts: 2
    We experienced the same problem in Feb 2010, the car would not go forward. We had it towed to the Ford dealer and they installed a new converter. Because the car was beyond warrenty it cost $1500. Now it has happened again yesterday, it is back at the Ford dealer and waiting to hear what the problem is this time.
  • lstlst Member Posts: 2
    I had my Freestar towed to the Ford Dealer on Wednesday because it wouldn't go in reverse. I just found out that the PMC needs to be replaced for $925. I had the torque converter replaced in February for $1500, when the car wouldn't go forward. I'm told that once the PMC is replaced that there is an 85% chance that my reverse problem will be solved. I only have 68,000 miles on the car!!
  • gabe9gabe9 Member Posts: 4
    How did you solve your problem?The same thing happend to me yesterday but i took the car to a local shop and now i'm waiting on a diagnostic!
    Thanks!
    I just learned from the Center for Autosafety that there's been another class action suit filed in the District Court of Maryland.

How many class action lawsuits can be filed at one time?

There is something wrong with this whole thing. Where is our justice system?
    My transmission ended up costing me 1966.27. Once they got into it other parts were worn so I ended up having the transmission rebuilt. Mine wouldn't go into any gear. I hope you don't end up with the same problem. I parked mine in the driveway on a Monday night and got in it Tuesday morning and it would move.