Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• gabe9gabe9 Member Posts: 4
    what about the torque convertor?did they have to change that also?
    Thanks!
    hi there,how did you fix this problem?My Freestar just did the same thing,i have no idea wich route to take with it.

Thanks!
    is the torque convertor part of the transmission?is it a separate part?how can you tell if it's one or the other THE PROBLEM??
    Thanks!
  • bbb_bbbbbb_bbb Member Posts: 7
    The torque convertor was the problem. It caused other problems with the transmission which meant to whole them had to be rebuilt.
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    When ours first went , we thought it was the transmission too. When it was towed back to Ford he said it was the torque converter. My husband said you have to have a scanner and if there is no reading on the.. input shaft speed...then it's the converter. The splines inside the torque seem to get stripped. It was a huge job to get it fixed...everything had to be dropped. If you have anymore questions I can ask him for you.
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    Case 8:10-cv-01505-AW Document 1 Filed 06/08/10

http://www.autosafety.org/sites/default/files/ComplaintasFiled6_8_10.pdf
  • gobamagobama Member Posts: 16
    Experiencing the same thing right now with our 2004 Mercury Monterey. 64,000 miles.
    Trans Axle warning light came on. Took it in and same problem everyone else is having. Transmission has to be rebuilt because of this. Approximately $3,000.

Looking into Class Action Suits and contacting Ford. In the meantime need get it repaired.
  • doodlealldaydoodleallday Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2010
    Today, I sent my 5th letter to Ford Motor Co. While I realize it might be a lost cause I want the facts on the record should the transmission fail again. I also copied the letter to NHTSA and Center for Auto Safety. I am accumulating quite a file on my 2005 Freestar. I love my van BUT if the tranny goes out again you can bet I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD VEHICLE!
  • 04mercmonterey04mercmonterey Member Posts: 3
    How does one go about getting in on a Ford Freestar/Mercury Monterey transmission failure class action lawsuit?
  • kaki1kaki1 Member Posts: 7
    My 2004 freestar lost it's tranmission last summer in Houston on a busy freeway in 100 degree weather. Had to pay $3500, rent a car to :confuse: get home (5 and 1/2 hours), then drive back in a week to pick up van. Got 12,000 miles or a year warranty. Expired couple of months ago. Traded it in on a beautiful, certified Honda Pilot. I now can travel and not worry about that Ford torque converter. NO MORE FORDS FOR ME!!! Go Honda!
  • bobbijobobbijo Member Posts: 9
    I found this forum in December 2009 when the torque converter went in our 2004 Freestar. The repair came with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. Unfortunately, I think it is getting ready to go again--or maybe it is a good thing since we still have time on the warranty. Does anyone know how early they can pick up a problem with the torque converter? Right now it is just a slight hesitation or stutter in the same rpm area as it was before--when we were told it was probably a fuel system problem. I've noticed it for the last week & was praying it was just me being paranoid--but my husband took it today and just called & asked me how I thought the van was driving...he noticed the same thing. Can they find a problem this early??? Has anyone else had theirs go again SO SOON? I really believe that ours was replaced just before we bought it (but can't prove it) so if that is true this would be the 3rd time!
    Just got mine out of the transmission shop. They had to rebuild the transmission as well as replace the Torque Converter. This did come with a warranty. I called the Ford Service line and was told that I need to take my receipts to a dealership and they would look into what can be done to help with this repair. I am not holding my breath on this. I was asked why I did not take it to a dealer in the first place and told them that we live in a small town and a Ford Dealer is not that close. I am going to do what they said but again not holding my breath on this. Total cost was $2,200. Ours is a the Mercury Monterey with 70,000 miles.
    Spoke with Ford customer service yesterday and was told to take my repair receipt to a Ford dealer and talk to someone in the service area. I did this and was told they did not know what I was talking about as far as them helping me and I was given wrong information. I called Ford customer service again today and the bottom line is Ford is not aware of any issues like this and is offering no assistance on this. Wasn't surprised by this answer.
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    You may need to inform the dealer that it is a secret warranty. Ford will work with the dealership to reduce the amount of the repair, but it is the dealership who would eat the cost as I understand it.

Since two class action suits have been file, Ford may not be willing to do anything to help anyone. This is where an attorney could come in handy. Contact one of the attorney who filed the claims and see if they can give you any advice.

The attorney general of your state may be able to help, too.

Good luck.
  • farmtech31farmtech31 Member Posts: 2
    Where do I start...purchased a 2004 Freestar privately and after a week the transmission and computer went out. My wife turned it on one day and it wouldn't go anywhere. Had it towed to Ford dealer and they replaced both items. Brought it home and after a week or two the van stalled and coasted to the side of a gravel road. Again would not go into drive or reverse and it happened after a heavy rain which I thought was interesting. Had it towed back to Ford dealer and after a month or so of troubleshooting they thought it was a bad PCM from Ford and they replaced it. (Ford covered it apparently) I expressed from the get go that I thought water was getting into the PCM due to forums like these and they disagreed with me. So I took the van home after the different PCM was installed and the next morning the battery was dead. After troubleshooting, I found out that the van was turning on the radio and listening to 590 AM w/out the keys in the ignition. Again this confirmed my idea about water getting into the PCM. Took it back to dealer and they again disagreed with me and after a couple months of troubleshooting on their part finally found water in the PCM. Except this time they want me to cover the new PCM!! Unbelieveable. They will not back down from this and I even called Ford and complained to them about this whole situation and engineering problem on their end. Nothing...and let it be known that i am a FORD guy! This has really left me wondering if I will purchase another Ford. Very upset. I have spent 3500 on it already and if i have to pay for the PCM it will be another 700. I found a post about a guy finding a firewall support column full of water and drilling a hole in it but the dealer won't even try to find this column. Have tried to pick it up twice and both times the service engine light comes on before going more than 10 miles. This time it is saying the cam sensor. I think water is still getting into the computer even though they claim to have siliconed the heck out of it. The TSB 6-10-14 has already been done apparently.
    Make sure that they change the part that has the pins where the PCM attaches to the main engine part. We has similar issues with our van, and they changed all that except they mechanics could not the get body parts to close the gap in the vehicle where the cowl meets.

I believe that most of the design flaws with this vehicle should be recalled. Please write to the attorney general, NHTSA, and file a complaint with the Center for Auto Safety.

Best wishes.
  • eploetzeploetz Member Posts: 3
    I just had a situation where when I started the car, I felt a burst of dampness on my foot (which was on the brake). Then came a smell like model airplane glue or the smell that comes with spray paint.

Has anybody else had this? It doesn't seem to affect the car's operation, although it's rather unpleasant.

Thanks,
    EP
  • eploetzeploetz Member Posts: 3
    Clarification ... It's a 2004 Monterey. It's already had the transmission (twice, we think --- once before we bought it) and computer problems.
  • elvis1919elvis1919 Member Posts: 1
    It's incredible how many people have the same problem( transmission or convector whatever is going to cost me $1,650.00) with this van. Mine broke in the Florida turnpike with my 2 yr old son and wife inside and a big thunderstorm that lasted more than 45 minutes baby crying and scare. Same as everybody wont change gear and the engine running like there was no problem, not even a sound of braking or a sing days before IT JUST STOP.......
    please if anybody needs me to cooperate with singing a letter to file a complain to Ford i will do it .....It's unsafe for a family to have a minivan like this....
  • hohmanvanhohmanvan Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at all of these and it seems we share the same story!

We were on family vacation with our very nice '04 Freestar, 83,000 miles on it. Purchased June 10. battery went on the way OUT for vacation... (the original factory battery was still in it!), and then on the way back home the transmission just SHUT OFF. We live in northern Ohio, but our van is stuck in Augusta, Maine. We are now without a vehicle, and as long as we don't have over 3,000 bucks, the van stays there.

I need info on this class action lawsuit. Where can I go to get this info? When did it start? When was it filed? I am at my wits end, because I am concerned that this local dealership won't help me.
    NHTSA just moved the Defect Petition on the 2004 model year to a Preliminary Evaluation on August 23. It is just for the 2004 models.
  • lmcallerylmcallery Member Posts: 6
    It is obvious that it does include years beyond that. It's too bad they are only starting with the 2004 models and not including the other years that have the very same issue.
  • singlewkidssinglewkids Member Posts: 1
    What a weekend from hell. I am a single parent with three children and my transmission died. Can't get a new car because I owe to much money and have no way to work. Can't afford to fix it. :sick: :cry: :mad:

The car gave me no problems before that and it just would not go forward. I have read all of your posts and it would seem that Ford would have done a recall on the vans. Wonder if someone should call a news station an report it. Ford does not seem to want to help. If I new how and who to contact I would do it.

I have always like Fords and have nerver had a problem until this one. I really need some help. Any suggestions.
    Start with your local dealer and the Ford Motor Company, and your state's attorney general's office. File a complaint with the National Highway Safety Administration, the more they get the more Ford will have to answer for.
    The dealership has ways of helping. Ford didn't like it, but they helped me the first time mine went. Mine has now gone twice, so get it fixed if you can get their help, and get out of that van as quickly as you can. I am in the same boat with owing more on it than it will ever be worth, and now have much more cash into it than I should. Ford needs to face this problem head on, but they are not. It doesn't say much for the American auto industry. My next car will be foreign engineered and produced, I am that disgusted with the issue.
    There are too many sad stories on this site. I do not understand why the government is not taking any action against this company.

I feel so bad for Singlewkids. Ford provides secret warranties through the dealerships. Ask Ford how a recall is made on a vehicle. See what they tell you. Keep fighting for what you know is right!
    Root cause of Torque converter failure, from my point of view. From what I have been reading most folks are on vacation and probably carrying additional weight (luggage, people, etc, which one would expect to) and traveling on hot days so there appears to be a greater load on the engine and transmission. After some duration of time on the trip, the combination of the heated transmission fluid and extra weight/load causes the splines on the torque converter to fail. Once the metal pieces from the converter splines enter the transmission fluid, they end up contaminating your entire transmission system. Now you’re into having to replace your entire transmission vice just the torque converter which more than doubles your repair bill.
    I have the Mercury Monteray. I agree will everything you say. Mine issue took place on a hot day coming out of the mountains. The only difference is I had 3 adults and no other extra weight. My transmission person explained it the same way you did.
    It has been replaced and works great now. However, we did take out an extended warranty on the rebuilt transmission.
    Your extra load was the mountains....
  • er1457er1457 Member Posts: 8
    I was alone, in an empty car, about ten minutes from my house, on a hot Texas day in August, (about 100 degrees), when my transmission failed with absolutely no warning. My car hadn't been over 45 MPH, until I started to accelerate onto the tollway ramp, where it failed. I doubt if my transmission ever had a chance to overheat.
  • sjtdadsjtdad Member Posts: 11
    You need to read a little longer and a little deeper, sir, because your point of view is wrong. I am a former auto technician/service manager with a college degree in automotive technology, no longer in that line of work though. I own an '05 Freestar with a tranny that gave up the ghost without warning after church in the parking lot in January at 52K miles. No mountains, no luggage, no heat. The trans had been serviced right on schedule at about 30K. While heat, weight will add to the fatigue, the problem is with the DESIGN--bad converters. It goes and then instantly spreads metal and destroys the tranny. I love the van overall, but I'm waiting and hoping to get some $$ back someday.
    That was not the case either time mine went. First time, the van was empty, driving it alone with no cargo on a mild summer morning. Second time was just my daughter and I in the van, no cargo, and it was an early evening in February. I'm not letting them off the hook with a weather explanation. This issue seems to me to have not as much to do with the weather and conditions inside the vehicle as it does with faulty engineering.
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    Not the case here. It failed on a cold December evening with only the driver in the van. Temperature has little effect. Hot transmission fluid would be around 200 deg under a heavy load. That wouldn't even soften lead.

From what I've been able to learn is that it is due to inadequate heat treating of the input shaft. This could happen a couple of ways. 1). Ford decided to save a few bucks and skimp on the heat treating. 2) Ford specified the correct level of heat treating, but their supplier decided to make a few extra dollars and skimped on it. In this case, Ford's QA staff should have caught it.
  • tervmomtervmom Member Posts: 12
    Well, mine was just one passenger (140 lbs) on a rainy evening in March. Had not been on any recent road trips and I was just coming home from a quick trip to Home Depot. (2006 Freestar, 46,000 miles)
    Roger that...I was drawing my conclusion on several write ups, which I believe was the straw that broke the camel's back...."Metal fatigue is the progressive and localized structural damage that occurs when a material is subjected to cyclic loadings." Yes I believe that the spline shaft material had defects
    , either from the heat treatment or just poor raw materials.

"The AXOD and its successors are built in Ford's Van [non-permissible content removed] Transmission plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan. Production of the final member of the family, the 4F50N (a renaming of the AX4N), ended in November 2006."

Youtube video shows Ford's tranmission plant, even with the torque converter robot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7v96lPKbds
    "Why ATF Wears Out
    An automatic transmission creates a lot of internal heat through friction: the friction of the fluid churning inside the torque converter, friction created when the clutch plates engage, and the normal friction created by gears and bearings carrying their loads.

It doesn't take long for the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to heat up once the vehicle is in motion. Normal driving will raise fluid temperatures to 175 degrees F., which is the usual temperature range at which most fluids are designed to operate. If fluid temperatures can be held to 175 degrees F., ATF will last almost indefinitely -- say up to 100,000 miles. But if the fluid temperature goes much higher, the life of the fluid begins to plummet. The problem is even normal driving can push fluid temperatures well beyond safe limits. And once that happens, the trouble begins.

At elevated operating temperatures, ATF oxidizes, turns brown and takes on a smell like burnt toast. As heat destroys the fluid's lubricating qualities and friction characteristics, varnish begins to form on internal parts (such as the valve body) which interferes with the operation of the transmission. If the temperature gets above 250 degrees F., rubber seals begin to harden, which leads to leaks and pressure losses. At higher temperatures the transmission begins to slip, which only aggravates overheating even more. Eventually the clutches burn out and the transmission calls it quits. The only way to repair the damage now is with an overhaul -- a job which can easily run upwards of $1500 on a late model front-wheel drive car or minivan.

As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won't go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about all you'll get before the transmission burns up.

If you think this is propaganda put forth by the suppliers of ATF to sell more fluid, think again. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced.

On most vehicles, the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by a small heat exchanger inside the bottom or end tank of the radiator. Hot ATF from the transmission circulates through a short loop of pipe and is thus "cooled." Cooling is a relative term here, however, because the radiator itself may be running at anywhere from 180 to 220 degrees F.!

Tests have shown that the typical original equipment oil cooler is marginal at best. ATF that enters the radiator cooler at 300 degrees F. leaves at 240 to 270 degrees F., which is only a 10 to 20% drop in temperature, and is nowhere good enough for extended fluid life.

Any number of things can push ATF temperatures beyond the system's ability to maintain safe limits: towing a trailer, mountain driving, driving at sustained high speeds during hot weather, stop-and-go driving in city traffic, "rocking" an automatic transmission from drive to reverse to free a tire from mud or snow, etc. Problems in the cooling system itself such as a low coolant level, a defective cooling fan, fan clutch, thermostat or water pump, an obstructed radiator, etc., will also diminish ATF cooling efficiency. In some cases, transmission overheating can even lead to engine coolant overheating! That's why there's a good demand for auxiliary add-on transmission coolers. "
    The explanation of the failures is somewhat foreign to me, but I do understand that the fear I felt as this vehicle failed. Ford needs to fix this situation and make it right. I can not believe that our government has not stepped up to the plate to force Ford to correct this issue as they did with Toyota.
  • fjordsfjords Member Posts: 1
    1ST time I have ever done this. My 2004 Ford Freestar had a complete transmission failure with only 29,000 miles on it and of course Ford put a new one in and this Aug 14th, that one failed with 32,000 miles and no warranty left on the 3 yrs...and it failed completely on ;90 just into NY at 60 miles an hour.....horrible and of course I was stuck up there for a week...I can't understand this whole thing - of course I had to put in a new transmission and there went 3,000.00 One person in car with vacation things and one collie...
    Who should I address my complaint at NHTSA - I sent it to the general address but it was returned saying I had to put a name and floor number in the address. Thanks.
    I went online to their site to register my complaint. I also talked to Ford Customer Service. A lot of good that did. I am saving all my repair information in case Ford has a change of heart. Not holding my breath on this! I checked into the class action suits but, my understanding is that an attorney wants a retainer and if the suit is won they will, after taking their fees send your portion of the settlement. Wasn't willing to put out anymore money at this point.
  • acamp135acamp135 Member Posts: 1
    Ours died this past weekend, oh my goodness they said $1400.00 to fix. Who has this kind of money? and they were not sure if the pump is ok yet in the tranmission. UG!!
  • bkmichbkmich Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Ford Freestar transmission failed just like that in heavy traffic and I had to spend $3000 to do the R&R transmission. I complaint to Ford, BBB Autoline and also NHTSA. All this happened Oct 2009. As usual Ford did nothing and BBB couldnt help it either.

I just got email from NHTSA that they are investigating this and asked about my specific problem (mine was the torque converter). All those who have been cheated by Ford and whose family's safety was compromised on should approach NHTSA. I know the justice is not done yet or not sure if we will even receive one but it is worth a try.
    Same thing on my 2004 Mercury Monterey. Fortunately I saw the light on and and was able to get it to the shop in time but had to ave the transmission rebuilt. About $3,000 as well. I reported this to the NHTSA in July but I have not been contacted by them.
    I need the person's name at NHTSA and address as I had my letter returned for lack thereof. Thanks.
  • freestarmomfreestarmom Member Posts: 1
    I bought this vehicle new & do not drive it that much since I am a trucker by trade.

I was driving down the freeway & lost all power. The tach was going from 1-5 & I had to pull to the side. I had to be towed. The car has less than 90,000 miles & I have kept the car in top shape. I always made sure I did correct maintance on the car.

Im getting the run around by Ford in Roseburge Oregon they just want to tell me the maintaance that should of been done on the vehicle that wasnt done on it is the reason it failed me ..A vehicle that doesnt have excessive wear and is drove easily should not have done this.. Iam very disappointed in the Ford dealer amd in this car,I will not buy another Ford vehicle again .. freestarmom
    You can address you letter to Stephen McHenry, to Secretary Ray LaHood, and your Senators and Congresspersons.

Ask for a hearing too!
    Thanks Nadineb!
  • vbouievbouie Member Posts: 2
    My '05 Freestar died on sept. 25 while I was on my way to Kentucky to my sons graduation from Army Basic Training. I had it serviced last year in Sept. had a tune-up in February and had the oil changed every 3000 miles. I am leaving tomorrow to go 5 hours from where I live to pick it up from AAMCO at the grand total of $2400. I called Ford and they were absolutely no help. I am also looking for my money back.
  • dfg28dfg28 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    my 05 freestar has been a great vehicle,until yesterday when the powertrain malfunction light came on. today i went to my mechanic and he put it on his computer. he drove it a few miles down the road and when he returned he says well all i have is bad news for ya. i was stunned when he told me all the things he knew about these tranny's,and that it would run somewhere in the $1800.00 range to fix it. he said that there's a flaw in the trans case that allows pressure to escape and it cause's the trans to not shift into overdrive. he said there are some trans shops that can fix the case but it requires a complete overhaul of the trans,but afterwards it would be fixed. this doesn't sound like anything i've ever heard about a trans.. so just for kicks i come to my computer and thank the good lord i found this site.does this sound like anything others have experienced? he tells me it will soon go completely out,and that if im not going to be driving over 45mph that i might as well run it till does fail,and that it wont end up costing anymore as it is going to have to be rebuilt anyway.please help i dont have that kind of money,and for sure dont want to be stranded on the side of the road in my wheelchair waiting for someone to rescue me !!!!!!!
  • gadreamergadreamer Member Posts: 1
    We are experiencing some of the same issues. We actually had the transmission rebuit last year under warranty and after lots of fighting with the dealership and the warranty company. Right before the 100,000 experation of the warranty I noticed the transmisson slipping after the engine would get hot. RPMs would ramp up. Took it to the dealership 3 times and they never could find a problem or get it to do it. Even after driving it with my husband for 30 miles, but I think on the highway not around town. It comes and goes. THis morning I noticed that the transmission light was on. Found this forum and now I'm ticked. I did have them document that it was slipping again before the 100,000 mile mark. Now I hav 105,000 on it. Thank god they aren't making these anymore.
  • rsmithjr42089rsmithjr42089 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I have been following these forums and I have had the same problem with my 05 freestar...water damage to the PCM. I completed the TSB for sealing the PCM, and the damage has caused me to replace sparks and plugs twince within the past 4 months...the first time I had no other issues until a downpour, which dried up and ran fine....until now.
    We had a massive rain storm where we live a week or so ago, the van was horrible...had the plugs and wires replaced again (they were fried) BUT the problem persists...so now I am pretty sure I need to replace the PCM. My question is thus: Is it possible to replace with a used PCM, of course ensuring it is from the same model and engine? If I can get away without having to talk to another ford mechanic again and spend wasted money I will. I have found the PCM online, but I need to know that I will not need to have it programmed etc, as long as it comes from the right model.
    Any help is appreciated