Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• lhatchellhatchel Member Posts: 15
    You must file a complaint with NHTSA at this website. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. The more people that we get to file a complaint the more they will do to recall this vehicle. Let's get the word out. I am considering putting a sign on my van telling people to file a complaint if they have a problem.
  • anabelanabel Member Posts: 21
    I already got contacted by our friends at NHTSA. The Investigator asked for info about the breakdowns. They are definately working on getting more details about the issue. Please report your breakdown with them (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation) or NHTSA for short. There is no charge to file with them. It will just get them notified that there is something going on with these Ford vehicles and they need to investigate this quickly.
  • shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    I too am thinking of placing a sign on my piece of ford junk! I can not still believe a company would ignore this problem with their crap, when it could take innocence lives! COME ON FORD CONFESS UP, YOU MADE JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • twinwithtwinstwinwithtwins Member Posts: 1
    My vehicle is a 2005 Freestar and, without warning, on July 26, 2009 it just quit moving on I-81 in PA going 70mph in a construction zone and it only has 65,000 miles on it! SCARY, especially with 3 little ones in the car and already driving for 16 hours. It is currently in the shop and we haven't had an exact diagnosis yet, but obviously something with the transmission. I called the Ford Motor Co. the next day and they basically said that if the vehicle is out of warranty (which it is) than any costs are my responsibility, thanks. When I said I was disappointed that they weren't willing to stand by their product, I think I heard crickets chirping. I filed the complaints with NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety, we'll see if that helps.
  • sandycingasandycinga Member Posts: 2
    I also got a reply back:
    My name is --------------- and I am an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation. I am interested in the report you filed with us regarding your 2005 Ford Freestar transmission problems. The investigation you referred to is PE09033 and can be viewed on our website http://www.safercar.gov . We would like to have the old part, which we will provide a shipping label for. Please let me know of its availability and also the approximate weight so the label can be made. Thank you for your time, and have a great day.

I told my mechanic and he said it was fine and they could have the part but this morning he said there was a $300 core charge for the part and he gave it to the parts place. He said he can get it back but then someone will have to pay that core charge. I'm already $1600 deep in this (also having some other things fixed since he has it.) and I'm not doing another $300. I just emailed her about and told her I could put her in touch with my mechanic or the parts place if she wanted. Thinking about this sign...I'm going to post on Craigslist about it and direct ppl here and to NHTSA.
  • momx6momx6 Member Posts: 5
    We just filed our complaint with the NHTSA. Our 2004 Ford Freestar while on the highway traveling at 65 mph, during rush hour, with our three young children inside just stopped moving! NO warning...nothing. They could have been seriously hurt. The engine continued to rev and the transmission just disengaged. Luckily for my family my husband was near a ramp and was able to coast off of the highway and into the parking lot of an adjacent business, (running lights and stop signs) which happened to be across the street from a transmission repair shop. We are now looking at 2-3,000K for the repairs. Four years old and only 60K miles. No help from the dealership "We only sell them..." nice! It happened late on a Friday so we will try Ford on Monday. After reading al of the posts I am not optimistic about their response. No wonder the car manufacturers are going under. We will be considering an import next time around.

J
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    The same exact thing happened to me with my 2004 Freestar. There was absolutely no warning. Someone needs to get Ford to be held responsible for this.
  • zzyxxrdzzyxxrd Member Posts: 4
    Good Morning, one and all !
    Although Beauty certainly abounds here with these red cliffs out in Lake Powell area in Az. and I am trying to be hopeful and up-beat, nonetheless, I am truly stranded.
    Had I known that a transmission, in any vehicle,. could just jump ship while on the highway, with no warning, I never would have embarked on a Maine to Los Angeles sojourn in my 2006 Freestar with 73,000 miles on it. I had previously only had the Dodge Grand Caravans, whose trannys go out more like 80,000 miles, and with gradual slippage, etc. I was well aware that a new or re-built one was close at hand and thus was in my area of New Hampshire with mechanics that I know and trust and will even take payments frm me.
    I tell you, I am in total shock about this ! I have never heard of such a thing; that is, until I Googled up "probs. 2006 Freestar trans." and voila ! I was to meet someone in Tuba City, Az. Thurs. so was coming thru Navajo Nation @ Monument Valley, pulled over to take pics., got back on road, and that was all she wrote ! I thought I would get over to side of road-just barely-and turn 'er off, then back on, and she would roll. Alas, no rolling ! So there I sat, no phone signal for miles, AAA pkg. used up for year, only about $200 in cash or credit, etc. etc.
    Got help frm new Navajo friend. Finally someone went to get a guy with a chain to pull me the 12 miles into Kayenta. Next day realized I had road-side srve w/ Geico and was taken 100 miles to nearest dealership in Page, Az. Still hoping it could be a fuse or small part when they qouted $3800 for a new transmission !!
    Anyway, bottom line, Ford has rendered me homelass as I lave on the road and most everything I own is in the van. Got motel last night across street.They gave me half-price-sweet!-due to faulty air cond. and now will camp out in dealer lot until Ford does something. Actually, was thinking to pack suit-case, leave van there, and start walking .....to Detroit ! The whole point would be to get it out there on Twitter, et. al. and eventually gain national media attention. Since I have just lost everything, I've nothing more to lose ! If, by embarking on said journey, we could force Ford's hand into a re-call or whatever, the lives of an entire un-suspecting family may be spared
    Just putting it out there and looking for feed-back.
    Thank you
    To continue......
    Anyone who would want to do something drastic as attempt a walk to Ford headqrtrs., such as me, would have these stories printed up and hand out along way. Also, a shorter version telling people to go to this site themselves and to follow this on Twitter. The Twitter thing would just make the whole thing explode---and very fast !!!
    I am going to walk to the Page library today and start printing, as well as register formal complaint w/ proper web-sites, as advised herein.My good freind Karen, presently in Palm Springs, knows someone who is in touch w/ Matt Lauer.He, Karen, and I are all New Englanders, so maybe that will make a difference.
    Correction: my van has 73,000 on it now, not frm the start of trip.
  • nyyfan132023nyyfan132023 Member Posts: 1
    The same thng happened to mine. on the way from Florida to Buffalo. The worst part is other people in my family have the same car and its scary knowing the same thing will happen again soon wth no worry. it just stopped on a highway thankfully we got off safely. I'm assuming it s a torque converter. Hopefully since its a common thing they have the parts instock and can fix t soon. Unfortunatly it happened late on saturday so it wont get fixed until monday at the earliest. It is still under warranty by 16 MILES!!!!!!! So since it wasa a sunday/saturday we can't get a rental car or anything and are spending $100 dollars on a hotel for 2 possibly 3 nights. Worst of all we are going to miss a baseball game we bought tickets too for a total of $250. A complete waste of money the people seem to not care that we are stranded.
    Unfortunately, this is going to happen to many more owners of these vans. I want to suggest that if you plan on keeping the vehicle, that you get some type of extended warranty that will cover the transmission. We broke down twice 5 months apart and now we are finding out that they are replacing the part that broke with refurbished parts and not only that, apparently Ford states a part number they can only replace that part with. So...It will happen again and again and again until that part is replaced with a part that is not defective. Just my suggestion, get a type of insurance that will cover your vehicle bumper to bumper and also can help cover towing and hotel stay and maybe even rental. There is insurance like this out there. At the time, we are looking into it.
    Tere is NOOOOOOO way im buying more insurance to cover FORD'S butt!!!!! mine blew up (tranny) in nov. 08 im going to fight along with others on here, such as the person that's notifying the TODAY SHOW. im notifying our news here in OHIO. FORD sucks on their concern for their trash they made , THE FREESTARS!!!!!!!!! BUYING MORE INSURANCE isn't going to save innocent lives in their trash!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Reading all these posts--from the very first some years back--which is no quick task on a Blackberry, I can only come up with one response.
    WHY was it again that we ever thought anything could replace the horse-and-buggy or the good ol' bicycle????!!!!!
    Do you think the Amish are sitting in Ford dealer-ships,or broke down on the sides of roads !!!!
    DETROIT — The government’s so-called “cash for clunkers” program gave automakers a desperately needed sales boost in July, though their relief could be short-lived if the Senate does not vote to extend the trade-in program after it unexpectedly ran out of money.

Skip to next paragraph Add to Portfolio
    Ford Motor Co

Go to your Portfolio »
    The Ford Motor Company said Monday that its United States sales rose 2.3 percent last month, marking the first year-over-year increase for any of the six largest carmakers since last August. Ford had not posted a monthly sales increase in nearly two years.

Ford, which heavily promoted the government-sponsored rebate program at its dealerships, in television ads and on its Web site, sold 18 percent more cars and crossover vehicles than it did in July 2008, though sales of its trucks and sport-utility vehicles fell 18 percent. The company did not say how many of its sales were made to people who turned in a vehicle to be scrapped under the program.

“We had another strong month in progress before the ‘cash for clunkers’ program started,” Ken Czubay, Ford’s vice president for marketing, sales and service in the United States, said in a statement. “Our products, our dealers and our advance preparation enabled us to leverage the program and drive traffic and sales to another level. In addition, we achieved a sales increase even though we decreased incentive spending in an increasingly competitive environment.”

Other carmakers, including General Motors, Chrysler and Toyota, are scheduled to report their July sales later Monday.

The government trade-in program, which began July 24, lets consumers give up an older, inefficient vehicle and receive a credit of up to $4,500 toward the purchase of a new vehicle with a higher fuel economy rating. Its unexpected popularity caused the program, formally known as the Car Allowance Rebate System, to quickly exhaust its initial budget of $1 billion, which was enough for about 200,000 people to take part.

The House of Representatives voted Friday to provide $2 billion more, and approval from the Senate is needed to extend the program. Many dealers are now unsure whether to continue taking trade-ins under the program, not knowing if the government will reimburse them.

Automakers welcomed the program at a time when high unemployment and low consumer confidence levels have pushed new-vehicle sales to their lowest level since the recession of the early 1980’s. Through the first half of this year, sales were down 35 percent compared to the first half of 2008.

WHAT BOUT THE "POOR" PEOPLE STUCK WITH THE 2000 FREESTARS? THAT WE CAN'T EVEN TURN IN AS CLUNKERS!!!!!! BECAUSE OF THE GUILT OF KIDS & FAMILY GETTING KILLED IN THEM>>>>>> UNFAIR FORD. :confuse: :mad:

Ford
  • jetawayjetaway Member Posts: 14
    I have been in the transmission business for 23 years.I have rebuilt more Freestar,Windstar and Taurus transmissions than i could possibly count.These 3 cars basically all have slightly different versions of the same transmission.Starting in the mid to late 80's they had a problem with planetary gears self destructing due to lack of lubrication.{im pretty sure there was a law suit over that} Over the years various updates were tried by Ford as well as aftermarket parts manufacturers with limited success.That problem occurred regularly until approximately 2000-2001.After that it was not as common.The tourqe convertor slines stripping was always an occasional occurrence but started getting more frequent in the late 90's and got really bad in 2004's In the early 90's they started making the input shafts thicker with more splines but as the engines got stronger the problem worsened.Over the years this by far was the most common trans in the shop.What really kills me is this would not be a difficult problem to prevent in the future.All that really needs to be done is make the splines out of a stronger hardened steel or make the shaft thicker with more teeth.The latter would require much design and retooling.A recall for this problem would be so costly that i doubt you will ever see one.
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Not having a mechanical background, I really appreciate the explanation about these transmissions, but Ford should extend the warranties on all of these transmissions. The PCM issue should be examined, recalled and resolved. Our government has a duty to remove vehicles with this much potential of being lethal and force Ford to either issue the recall on vehicles or get them off the roadways.

Why should we have to bear the cost of having our families at such a high risk of serious injury and the financial expense of repairs when Ford should be held responsible as required by the law?

Anyone know why the same vehicle sold in Canada has a larger transmission and longer warranty?
    :lemon: Thank you Nadineb. And, I totally agree with you. There's no amount of $$$$ that could replace my 1 yr.old grand girl!!!! Ford's responsibility is to get these junks off the highways!!! come on Ford...ownup before someone's killed in your incorrect built junks!!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    There is no" larger transmission" that i ever heard of .I dont know about the warranty but if its longer i suspect the Canadian government requires it.
    According to Wikipedia, "In the United States, the Freestar was available with two different gasoline-powered V6 engines. The smaller 3.9 L (available only in the United States) develop a maximum power of 193 hp (144 kW) at 4500 rpm and 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) of torque at 3750 rpm, while the larger 4.2 L produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 4,250 rpm and 263 lb·ft (357 N·m) of torque at 3650 rpm. While the smaller engine came on the base model in the United States, the larger 4.2 L engine is standard on all models in Canada and Mexico."

CanadianDriver, January 23, 2004, "In the U.S. the base Freestar comes with a 193 horsepower 3.9 litre V6, but in Canada all Freestars have a 201 horsepower 4.2 litre V6 engine (replacing the 200 horsepower 3.8 litre V6), a 4-speed automatic transmission, Powertrain Warranty 5 years/100,000 km "
  • 5thaveman5thaveman Member Posts: 10
    I took my 04 FREESTAR into dealer to have them look at it. I got a call stating that the gears 2 and 3 are gone. The old transmission was under warranty; but the dealer said that they weren't sure if the warranty would cover this repair. it may be cheaper to "REPAIR" gears 2 and 3. HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU REPAIR ANY GEARS IN A TRANSMISSION WITHOUT REPLACING THE WHOLE UNIT...?
    Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated... :confuse:
    To repair 2nd and 3rd gear clutches you would have to remove and disassemble the transmission.If you have a drive train warranty that is still valid it should be covered.Dealers dont like to deal with aftermarket warranty companies because they scrutinize the cost and procedure.If you have the trans done make sure the tourqe convertor is replaced.
  • pbologpbolog Member Posts: 1
    my wife, taking our 3 and 6 year old girls to the beach lost all ability while trying to merge into traffic, talk about scary!, experienceing all the same problems described here , simply no go. were from philly so towing will be at least 75 miles , so now i wait for the verdict from the shop while doing research and finding all of your common stories. ill give all the details later . by the way its an 04 freestar with 65,000 miles on it. not exactly new but not ready for this.
    Be sure you notify NASH, (sorry, wrong letters) anyway correct ones are on here. We're trying to get a recall or reimbursements. Ours went out in Nov. 08. And, 9 mo. later at 78000 miles, it's "slipping" . NO WARNING FIRST TIME... We're so fed up with FORD'S trash! First time it was at 65000 miles. Mechanic said could happen again. Thank God we were exiting an interstate. Im so scared to take it anywhere now. Just wanted to let you know, you're not alone.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • jouzieljouziel Member Posts: 3
    mY 05 Freestar transmission just failed yesterday evening in the same way described by so many posters in this furum - after only 41K miles. I was rolling along on cruise control on I-90 in Eastern WA at about 70mph when the engine just started revving like mad. By the time I put the car into neutral and pulled over (by some unbelievable stroke of luck, I was able to coast onto an exit ramp, since I had my wife and 4 kids ages 12, 10, 6 and 2 with me) I had realized I had lost all my gears. I was towed to a nearby hotel and had a chance to find this forum while staying there. I'm making arragements this morning to have it towed to the nearest dealer, but from what I'm reading, looks like I have the classic symptoms of torque converter failure and that I'll be SOL with the dealership and wil probably be out upwards of $3K when this is over.

I will follow up this post after my ordeal is over.
    Since NHTSA has two investigations, I would contact them and see if they want the transmission parts before the dealership disposes of them. I would also contact Ford for financial refund on the repairs, a total replacement of the transmission to one that is not going to fail after 40K miles, and reimbursement of hotel and towing fees. If they give you a hard time (which more than likely they will, I would speak to a supervisor).

Secretary La Hood has not responded to my request for a public hearing so I will be writing to ask about this issue.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt," The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of the government by an individual, by a group or any controlling private power."

Good luck.
    And just to reiterate, I broke down twice after an entire rebuild of the transmission. 4 months apart. I haven't been able to trade the Ford in because I am alittle upside down on it. 2,000.00$. Not much, but it hurts on a sole salary. I am just waiting for another breakdown since they put in it the same parts that are defective in the first place. I have three small children and I understand your concern. When I broke down they were all with me. It was not a good ordeal. As told before, Please follow up with a NHTSA claim. Good Luck.
  • upsetatfordupsetatford Member Posts: 17
    Our van broke down last wednesday while my wife was on her way to work. The van lost tranny power and she ended up stopping in the middle of the road with traffic having to go around her. I researched the history of the van and found alot of info on this site. It is time something is done and stand up to Ford for building crap and charging way too much for it. Any wonder why they almost went under? I am furious about this situation, my wife could have been in a serious accident. Our van is now sitting at the dealership while we try to find a way to come up with the $1300.00 to fix it. I have filed a case with the NHTSA and I have already heard back from them asking more information and also a copy of the repair work needed. I also sent an email to the Ford executive office.

I am not backing off of this either. I see it as a serious threat to our safety. I have had recalls on other vehicles for things less dangerous than this. How can it be allowed to have a vehicle's transmission just give out like that? :mad:
  • blandowblandow Member Posts: 1
    It sure didn't take long on Google to find these horror stories. This past weekend, the 2004 Freestar was running great on the way back from vacation....You guessed it: RPM's shot up and no gears engaging. IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE with 3 little kids on the way back from a final summer getaway. Semis whoosing by on a narrow shoulder. Had to call family to drive 2 hours each way to pick us up the next morning after getting a hotel room. Freestar sitting at a mechanic shop 120 miles away from home and they say I need a new Transmission. No symptoms prior, and the van was just tuned up. I plan on filing the same complaints everyone else is. I have no idea where I am going to get the cash for this repair. Depressed in St.Louis...
  • lhatchellhatchel Member Posts: 15
    I had to increase the limit on three credit cards and then max them out to pay the $3000 it took to repair my Ford Freestar. They put in a refurbished transmission but it still does not drive right. It has 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Why would they put a longer warranty on a refurb tanny than the original tranny...go figure. I will certainly have the tranny checked out before this warranty runs out. FORD...FESS UP! :mad: :cry:
  • jouzieljouziel Member Posts: 3
    I just got a reply back from the NHTSA and am following up my claim with details of my ordeal, and I hope it comes to something. Just to finish my story, I got towed 60 miles to a dealer in Spokane, WA. Two days and $2K later, I was back on the road. The guy said it was a failed torque converter (surprise) but that fortunately the splines were still intact, otherwise it would have been more $$$.

To the credit of the Gus Johnson service dept. in Spokane, they did all they could to expedite the repair and provide my family with shuttle service (Ford ended the loaner car program a couple years ago). It's a darn shame about this since I've been otherwise generally happy with this car.
    I received my 2nd e-mail from Emily Reichard today. you can go to www.safercar.gov. Type in investigation # PE 09033. Check on 'OUR' investigations!!!!! :) May starting to look up for us Jim....
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    From National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation

Dear Freestar/Monterey Owners,

This is Emily Reichard again with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the US Department of Transportation. As some of you may already know, an investigation has opened on the 2004-2005 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey vehicles for transmission failure. This can be viewed on our website at www.safercar.gov under investigation #PE09-033. After this week I will no longer be in this office and my e-mail will be phased out. Therefore, if you have any other responses or questions, please contact principal investigator Stephen McHenry . Thank you so much for all of your time and information. Have a great day.

NHTSA Action Number : PE09033 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
    Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    FORD / FREESTAR 2004-2005

MERCURY / MONTEREY 2004-2005

Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    Component :
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:TORQUE CONVERTER

Date Investigation Opened : July 15, 2009
    Date Investigation Closed : Open
    Summary:
    ODI HAS RECEIVED 178 COMPLAINTS ALLEGING THAT AN INTERNAL FAILURE OF THE TRANSMISSION CREATED A SUDDEN AND UNEXPECTED LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER IN MODEL YEAR 2004 THROUGH 2005 FORD FREESTAR AND MERCURY MONTEREY VEHICLES. SIXTY-FIVE (65) COMPLAINANTS WHO PROVIDED SPECIFIC INFORMATION TO ODI REGARDING THE FAILURE MODE OF THE TRANSMISSION IDENTIFIED THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND/OR THE TORQUE CONVERTER OUTPUT SHAFT AS THE FAILED SUBSYSTEM/COMPONENT. FOR THE LATTER, THE ALLEGATIONS INDICATE THAT THE SHAFT SPLINES FAILED SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT WARNING, RESULTING IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF VEHICLE PROPULSION DUE TO THE ENGINE POWER BECOMING DISCONNECTED FROM THE DRIVETRAIN. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.
  • momx6momx6 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else had any trouble after the transmission repair? My cruise control is now only working intermittently since I got my van back a week and a half ago.
    Jill
  • ihatefords1ihatefords1 Member Posts: 1
    Well, our van was bought in August of 2006 and now, in August 2009, the transmission has gone. The van is at the dealership and they told us the internal planetary gear has disintergrated. Great. The van only has 45,000 miles. We have always performed all the necessary oil changes and whatnot. This was so unexpected. Now the dealership is stating that they have to contact Ford and will let us know the price. I am like, what the heck? We purchased the extended warranty, even more than a powertrain and now they are saying they may not cover it? Very unhappy with Ford right now and I truly wish the van would just go away.
    Please join the ranks of us and file a complaint with the NHTSA. If we get enough complaints submitted I believe this will really open their eyes even more. I have filed mine and they want to see the diagnostic sheet from Ford. We have asked for it and they said they would fax it to us. They did fax it, but its a parts order sheet listing how much the torque converter is and transmission fluid exchange, basically what it was going to cost to have it repaired. So, I have to call them AGAIN. :sick:
    On another note, we called around to see if we could find a better price to get the van repaired. CarX said they would do the repaire for $896 and some change. Ford was going to charge use about $1300. We called Ford back with the info and that we were going to have someone else do the repair. They immediately dropped thier price to the same amount, but said they would not offer a warranty. Well CarX also had a warranty.

If you are having a problem with your van please file a complaint with NHTSA so we can overload them reports. Let's see how long Ford will sit on their hands once they get some real pressure.
  • mwirtmwirt Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody!
    Our 2004 Freestar (79k miles) came to a rolling stop today, making a load whining sound (similar to low fluid in a power steering pump) from the trans. The ESP Warranty ended at 75k miles.

Beginning at 55k miles, it became slow in engaging from Reverse to Drive and occasionally shuttered. A local dealership found nothing wrong and after servicing it, gave it a clean bill of health. Slow shifting started again and now, we're stuck. A local trans technician experienced in rebuilding these beasts diagnosed it as likely the planetary unit(?). Isn't it considered a clunker now??? :sick:
    I think they were a clunker the day they came off the assembly line.

Hope you file a complaint with NHTSA.
    Good luck.
    Sure they were junk in the factory!!!!! They didn't make the tranny large enough for the engines, we were told. I tell everyone driving a FREESTAR, to turn complaints into NHTSA. I also get ill when I see children in them. COME ON FORD..... FESS UP... YOU MADE A DEADLY MISTAKE..... FIX IT FAIRLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confuse:
    I believe that NHTSA also needs to take responsibility along with Ford in getting these vehicles recalled, repaired, or off the roads. NHTSA has a duty to gather the information from Ford so hello, federal government, do your job!

I totally agree that children should not be in these vehicles. For that matter, anyone riding in these vehicles are at an unacceptable risk for their safety and others on the roadways around them.

I will never own another Ford. Wonder why the "Cash for Clunkers" program had 41% foreign vehicles sold through the incentive. I believe that Ford will fail soon if they keep this kind of business practice.
  • disappointed26disappointed26 Member Posts: 2
    Just last night in a small town between Cedar Rapids, Ia and Iowa City my wife was picking up our 2 year od from our sitter after work when I got the call,”Our van just died!” When she explained the symptoms I immediately knew it was the transmission and because the vehicle was going 55 mph when it lost all drive train power I knew it had to be the spline b/c had it been anything else she wouldn’t have lost power until after coming to a complete stop. My step father, whom has his own garage, thankfully towed our 05’ Freestar with 85,000 miles on it to a small town transmission expert that again confirmed my suspicion of the spline. He is keeping all parts for me and will be willing to provide me with a signed affidavit. Please let me know where I should forward this material to so that we can help others that have purchased this vehicle.
    Please ask for a hearing as well. The Secretary of Transportation can make a motion or on petition of any interested person for a hearing to decide whether the manufacturer has reasonably met the requirement for defect or noncompliance in regards to motor vehicle safety.

We need to have them hear that we want our day in court by requesting the hearing. There is a lot of power in numbers.
    I'd love to have my day in court...... And I hope this crap of a vehicle is TOTALLY REMOVED FROM OUR ROADS!!!!!!! Iam under so much stress when driving our Ford junk since Nov.08. No more Fords for us either. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Hello Jim, Can you tell a little more about what you are getting into or what you have already done and what you are wanting us to do? Is this not something I can do myself?

Thanks,
    Anabel :confuse:
  • disappointed26disappointed26 Member Posts: 2
    I just filed my complaint. ODI 10282433

Thanks for the help with this!!
    Im intrested in class action, but.... don't understand why gov. isn't notifying us thru US MAIL? Im not wanting to give personal info. on puter. Won't someone notify us bout class action?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    As we value the personal safety of our members, please do NOT post your address, phone number, etc. If you wish to correspond with another member privately, you can send them an email via their CarSpace address, username@carspace.com

We also prohibit the posting of third party phone numbers. Although they may have provided it to you in an email, you may re-post it in the Forums.

If you have any questions, you may direct them to me in an email. Click on my username for that information.

Thank you for your future cooperation.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    That should be you may NOT re-post third party emails and contact information. :blush:
    Karen,

Thank you for informing us all of the rules.

This vehicle had created much stress for so many of us, produced quite a bit of confusion as to why this vehicle is still on the roadway without a recall for such a serious safety issue, and left many of us wondering why the government is not doing something. Financially, it has drained many of our pocketbooks to benefit the CEOs of Ford.

A class action suit is not handled by the government so it is up to the private sector to handle the situation. The government will not send you anything in regards to a suit. My understanding of what NHTSA does is to gather information from the manufacture, assess the situation, prompt the manufacture to make the corrective changes, and I believe that they will fine the company if they are found to be at fault.

With the personal cost, we must gather as a group, find an attorney who will take the case to court against the manufacturer, win the case, and then, restitution can take place according to the settlement that was won (if any). So, if a class action suit was to take place, an attorney would need to gather a "class" of people.

I could be wrong about this information, but from what I have read, I believe this is the case.