Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Rear Brakes

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I agree.
  • kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    I bought my 2006 FS used with 17,900 miles on it, and the dealer selling it replaced the rear pads and rotors as part of the deal. Now, at 30,900 miles (a scant 13,000 miles later), when having it lubed, I was told that it was down to metal to metal (although I heard or felt nothing). Fortunately, Ford replaced the pads and rotors under the warranty extension.

My question is whether there is a technical fix -- in the form of better pads for the rear brakes -- or am I destined to replace them every year or so? I do almost all stop-and-go, stop sign, frequent stop light driving (have never had any problems with brake pads before) and cannot change the driving conditions. So, let's say the guy behind the wheel and the design of the braking system are constants. Is there a better pad?
  • kam4kam4 Member Posts: 1
    I have read through manay of the posts here and while some do not see this as an issue, most agree otherwise. What my question relates to is what exactly did Ford do by just replacing the defective parts? My car was purchased new with 8,000+ miles on it- dealer demo. Before the first year was even close to being up- my car made the worst grinding noises and I took it down to the dealer 3 times. They just told me that I was crazy- as they could not duplicate the problem.

The day after I brought the car home from the 4th visit- the technician noted significant wear on the rear brakes- so I called them and asked them to go over this especially since I had already brought it down there for three previous appointments and they noticed NOTHING. Of couse they could not and gave me a rate for what the repairs would cost me- they claimed that it was due to my driving.

I called the general manager- who is a good friend, and went through my plight. He was not at all amused with his service department.

Less than a day later, I get the letter from Ford regarding the rear brakes. Realizing that I was not completely crazy, I called the dealer again. This time they pretended that they knew nothing about the letters or the fact that the car had just been there for the same problem.

The car was fixed, but within the last three months, I have been noticing the drag again. So I took it back down to the dealer- they could not duplicate the problem- which is no surprise.

So what happens if this becomes an issue again? My car will be out of warranty in less than 5,000 miles.

This fix was no fix. :confuse:
  • gi_mechgi_mech Member Posts: 5
    How can anyone say this is "your problem" when so many drivers are replacing rear brake pads every year??? I got my 2006 FS pads/rotors/calipers replaced last year at 27K and was just told this week that they are "dangerously" worn again! I find this inexcusable on the part of Ford. The problem, not the symptom, should be corrected. I did not buy this car "at my own risk." :lemon:
  • jshalaszjshalasz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Freestyle and I received a letter from Ford telling me to touch base with my dealer to have my rear breaks looked at; they looked at it and scheduled me for replacement breaks. They replaced all the break hardware in the rear. No issues. Side note, at 45,000 miles, one of the most trouble free vehicle I've owned. :)
  • fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    As a Ford technician, yes there is a technical fix. The original rear brake pads were affected by moisture, they would swell when damp and drag and ultimately wear out. The new pads are of differant compounds so as not to swell when damp. That is also why the front brakes on an AWD Freestyle must be changed, in order to maintain original braking performance. Any repairs made before the extended coverage program came out was probably repaired with the "old" pads. My own AWD Freestyle an '06 went 20k miles before the rear brakes were worn out, at the same time the tires(18in) were bald. I myself would be very dissapointed except the rest of the car is so good, perfect in fact, that I except these flaws, put on different tires and moved on.
    My rear brakes are dragging (Freestyle 2006) for the second time in two years. Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the Ford letter regarding the rear brakes?
    Okay, thanks, then these brake pads should provide more normal wear. That is reassuring. I also need new tires: which ones did you put on the vehicle?
  • theapemantheapeman Member Posts: 13
    we had 2 sets of rear pads wear out very quickly. i changed to akebono ceramic pads. they feel fine and make NO dust. also had the pirellis wear out in 20,000 miles. we replaced 2, and when the other 2 wore out recently, we got a set of 4 Michelin Primacy MXV4. only a few hundred miles on them so far but they feel great - nice ride, quieter, and handle well. a real improvement. they also have a longer expected tread life than the pirellis.
  • jdaddyjdaddy Member Posts: 1
    Fordwrench, does this mean the new pads on 2007's are good and 2007 owners are not reporting the same problems? Most posts seem to be specific to 2005 and 2006. What I can't tell is if it's because the 07's are fixed or because people don't have enough miles on their 07's yet. I'd appreciate your opinion.

Also, is there and estimated "ratio" of cars that experience this problem? I guess what I want to know is if all 2005,2006's have brake issues, or 1 in 5, or 1 in 50, etc.

Thanks for your insight.
    I have a 2006 Freestyle FWD. Brake pads et al were replaced by dealer (no charge) last year at 27,000 miles. I was told they were the new, better, pads. Now at 40,000 the pads are completely worn out again! The new, better pads didn't make any difference. :(

I'm hoping the dealer will be gracious again. It is a great vehicle, but I'm very dissappointed that Ford isn't correcting this ongoing problem.
    I installed Goodyear Assurance 18in.tires. So far so good, they are much quieter, ride alot better, and seem to be good in the rain. If you have 17in tires I put a set of Hankook tires on a service loaner for the dealer. They are wearing well and have very good traction but are a little noiser than the Contis it came with.
    The "extended warrantee coverage" is only for 05-06. The 07s do have the updated pad. Now, that doesn't mean the rear pads are going to last 100k miles, I believe the 500, Freestyle, Montego, are set up with more rear brake bias for less brake dive and will always have a shorter service life on the rear pads than the industry norm. I've seen other Ford products lately that are wearing out the rear brakes first, the F150 and Mustang are two examples. I believe other car lines are having the same issues also. I guess the car companies think owners will except short rear brake life for less brake dive and more balanced braking.
    How long have you had the Akebono now? I am thinking of having them put before we go through a third pair of pads, unless, of course, we finally got the "right" brake pads from Ford.
  • dm9667dm9667 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Freestyle and have the same issues with my rear brakes/tires as mentioned by so many of you. The difference with me, and the reason I am writing, is that my car has 37K on it. I had my brakes diagnosed in march 07, and it was fixed. When the "extended warranty" mail came, I was reimbursed for the cost, but I think they installed the same "bad" pads as fordwrench mentioned. I just had the car in for service, and they said my replacement pads are low, and to make matters worse, my the rear tires that I just put on in December are at 3 and 4/32 already. My question for all of you is, have any of you dealt with Ford on the issue of brakes outside the 36K coverage period? And also, many of you mentioned having to get new tires. Did Ford help with any of your costs? Did any of you experience poor gas mileage as well. I am getting 16-19mpg and my daily commute of 25 miles is not stop and go driving.
    I am really upset because the dealer who replaced my pads at 21k is out of business, and I spoke with customer care at Ford, and while they were very nice, they didn't really seem too concerned that my 6 mo. old tires were so worn, and that my rear pad (4 and 5mm) were so worn after only 1 year. They were quick to point out that my car was out of the extended warranty period, and they didn't seem to want to acknowledge the possibility that the replacement pads could have been bad or as bad as the first set that came with the car originally.
    Regardless, if anyone can reply and let me know of their experience working with Ford to get replacements outside the warranty coverage period, that would be much appreciated.
  • theapemantheapeman Member Posts: 13
    the akebonos have been on the car for around 15 months, or roughly 15,000 miles. they have made no dust; the wheels stay clean. it looks like the rears are less than 1/2 worn, but maybe more than i would expect to see normally on rear pads at this mileage. they're not very big for a fairly heavy car. they have also been quiet. judging by the wear so far, i guess i'll get at least 40-50,000 miles out of the rears.
  • leo44leo44 Member Posts: 5
    same thing 22000 miles rear brakes had zero pads i mean down to see the rivets i was amazed. arent they supposed to operate like 70%front 30% rear
  • dcs67dcs67 Member Posts: 4
    Bought my 2006 AWD Limited in 10/06. Soccer mom usage. (I admit she's a little heavy on the brakes and gas.)

1. New front and rear brake pads & rear rotors resurfaced on 6/07 at 9300 miles.
    2. New front and rear brake pads on 3/08 at 22,000 miles.

It's now at 25,000 miles and the rear wheels are covered with brake dust and the rear rotors are deeply grooved, with the inside way more than the outside so that I am garaging it until its dealer appointment in 3 days.

From reading the various forums this is not that unusual. My question, if anyone knows the answer, is why the heck is this continuing to happen? Can't they fix this once and be done? I worry about what happens when the warranty coverage expires.

I've been a Ford guy all my life, with the first family LTD in 1967 (my parents). This is discouraging, not to even mention the Pirelli tires being shot already! (That I attribute to driving habits.)
  • mfkoerschnermfkoerschner Member Posts: 6
    Yes, it's fixable. Had the same issues with our '05 FWD. Ended up just missing the warranty period and had to part with like $400 for new rotors in the back (because my wife kept driving it when we should have done like you).

Anyway, we're up to 54k with no further issues.

The Tech told me that the original brake/rotor combination were incompatible on the rear. I'm no materials expert - but that seems plausible.

This has been our only prolbem. I love the Freestyle otherwise.
    Can deliver unreal gas mileage on long road trips.
  • jmooneyjmooney Member Posts: 1
    06 with 24000 miles. They just did it under warranty, no hassle. Hopefully, it will last. You'd think by now they would have figured out the problem.
  • summewesummewe Member Posts: 14
    I've also had no other problems since having my brakes replaced. Love my Freestyle! ;)
  • bjbundybjbundy Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 AWD Limited Freestyle has begun having some issues with the brakes the last couple of days. It sounds like a grinding sound. Husband says that they don't work as well. Have to push harder to stop. Was going to take it this morning to a shop that has done all of our break work on all of our cars and is reasonable and does great work. I am thinking that maybe I should take it to our dealership and have them look at it if there may be a chance that Ford would pay some if not all of the bill. I have a feeling that it is more than just brakes. I think rotors, too. I don't know when our car was built. Is there a way to find out via internet using the VIN?
    Jodi
  • fejesfejes Member Posts: 1
    My '07 Freestyle w/22,000 miles needed back brakes and rotors. The service department at the Ford dealer told me this certainly shouldn't happen at 22,000 miles yet the extended warranty only covers back brakes/rotors up to 18,000 miles. My front brakes are fine. Any one else have this problem with their 2007 Freestyle?

I have had other problems such as brake light switch replacement, brake lights. The waranty covered the replacements yet the time spent waiting at the dealers wasn't something I expacted when purchasing my first "new" car in 20 years.
  • desertracer954desertracer954 Member Posts: 1
    Good luck... I have a 2005 for Freestyle 2WD and I took it in for the replacement brakes at 16000 miles. I just took it in to have the power steering looked at (33000 miles) and they told me the rear brakes were shot and grooving the rotors. Even though the car is under factory warranty they told me that they will not fix the problem. They said the new brakes installed were under a 12 month 12000 mile warranty and because I had gone 17000 miles that they could not fix them. I called Ford corporate and they told me that "Ford had nothing to offer me at this time." I had the manager call me back and he said Ford replaced the brakes as a one time courtesy (he said it was not a recall) and that basically it was up to me now because they were outside of the 12/12000 warranty. I told him that I was upset that it ruined my rotors and I was not aware that I was going to have to change the rear brakes every 15000 miles. He said sorry and that was it. I have been a Ford man my entire life but my advice to anyone looking to buy a new car... Get a Toyota. If Ford and GM keep turning out crap and not trying to help their consumers they will be out of business in a few years anyways. Everyone I talk to about the brakes knows that they should not be shot in 17000 miles but they are not willing to do anything about it.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Our Freestyle is basically a rolling trash can for my wife and two children. The last time it was serviced was July 2007. I kind of missed the last service or two and the oil change light has been blinking since November 07.

Well I finally took the car in for a 3 year, 30,000 mile service and overall the Dealer said the car was in excellent condition apart from needing new rear brakes. He stated the rotors are fine but would need to be machined. Unfortunately, because I've been a delinquent with servicing, I've missed the extended warranty on the brakes (I got the car is May 05) so I'm going to have to foot the bill.

Last time the car was in (in July 07) I really quizzed the dealer regarding the brakes hoping to get them all changed for free but he stated that they were fine with plenty of life left at the time - so I kind of forgot about them. Since then the car has been doing more miles so I guess they have worn out faster... :(

I asked the dealer if all the pads needed changing because our car is AWD and he stated that it was the same OEM pads going on as were taken off, and that our car did not have the old style of pads. Still he stated that if it was done under warranty then Ford would have done all the pads, but as I am paying for it, there was no need (there was still 50% life left on the fronts).

So on the whole, apart from the rear pads, I would say this car is bulletproof.
  • camillegcamilleg Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem and my husband took it to a local shop to get it fixed, and was told it will cost him 380.00, I called a Ford dealership and they looked it up and told me that there is a group of 07 Freestyle's that were built from July 06- through Nov.15th 06 that the rear brakes and roters are bad, and to bring it in and they will replace for free.
  • lhancocklhancock Member Posts: 1
    I have a freestyle 2006 and have put about 30k in a year, I received a recall letter last sept. on a recall on the brakes ive had them checked everytime i get an oil change at 6000 mi. ive never been told anything was wrong with the pads or rotors. I have always asked for the brake check each time i rotate at oil changes this last one they said my left rear was gone and the rotor was grooved. we are previously changing pads ourself because ford wants about 300.00 to do this pads and labor. i generally upset that between changes i can wear a pad that quick. they also told me that they changed my brakes at 21,000 and put new ones on. I bought the car with approximately 21,700 miles on it. they said nothing at any of my other oil changes that they had been changed out, now the computer system says they did that at 21,000. also didn't get it in the quality checklist that they
    d been changed. we cannot get the cylinder to compress back down does any one know how to do this. Thanks in advance
  • red27red27 Member Posts: 2
    I have just done 15,000 miles (in two years) and at today's service I was told that the rear brake pads were worn out and needed replacing under a Ford program for free.
    Not very impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jackmcjackmc Member Posts: 1
    '07 Freestyle SEL Fwd with 24,000 miles. Heard brake noise two days ago, thought it might be due to rain/wet brakes. Husband heard same noise yesterday and checked. Front brakes are good. Rear brakes are shot and rotors are grooved.
    Called my local Ford dealer and was told that it is not uncommon to have to change brakes every 15,000 miles and the warranty didn't cover the rotors. They had no suggestions on how to keep from ruining my new set of rotors. Is this just a car thing? Or a Ford thing?
  • teachymomo2teachymomo2 Member Posts: 1
    My 06 Freestyle has 26,000 miles. I took it in today to the dealer I purchased it from (I bought it new). There was a grinding noise in the back. Turns out it was the rear pads and roters.
    I asked the service man about why the brakes would wear out so quickly and he said its because of the design of the Freestyle. Its on a Volvo chassis and the rear brakes kick in prior to front to avoid the harsh braking feeling. That makes the rears wear out faster and means that instead of replacing the front brakes more, its the rear. They are fixing my brakes for free but I need to ask more questions such as 'why' and 'which kind of pads are they using to replace them".
    I don't think just the way the car is made should result in poor rear brakes, I'm told it could be a defective switch (don't know the name but it controls which brakes apply how much pressure). This would possibly be fixed because Ford might have sent a maintenance letter to their dealers saying to replace it. I haven't been able to find any such letter though.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Your service advisor has quite a story there about rear brakes being applied first. I wonder where he heard this nonsense. The fact is that the rear brake pads were manufactured incorrectly and hopefully the new pads are made to the proper specs.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Your service advisor has quite a story there about rear brakes being applied first. I wonder where he heard this nonsense. The fact is that the rear brake pads were manufactured incorrectly and hopefully the new pads are made to the proper specs."

My understanding is that a batch of brake pads got water damage before they were installed, and therefore failed prematurely.
  • 01taurussel01taurussel Member Posts: 43
    I must apologize, its been a while since my 05 500 had the brakes done......Is the Freestyle/500 "program" still in effect for vehicles that have not had it done? If yes, is their a mileage max, anything thing else, etc...?? Please advise, again, sorry I forgot!
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Copy of Ford recall letter for reference:

EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM
    07N10 Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
    Director
    Service Engineering Operations
    Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
    P.O. Box 1904
    Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07N10
    Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the rear brake pads to 3 years of service or 36,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 36,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2007. This program provides one-time replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego FWD & AWD and Ford Freestyle FWD vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through November 28, 2006.
    Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Freestyle AWD Vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through Job Last 2007.
    Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
    REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may have had direct exposure to moisture for an extended period that may have caused the pads to "swell" and create a slight drag condition. Low levels of brake drag might not be noticed by a customer, but could lead to premature brake pad wear and excessive brake dust.

SERVICE ACTION
    2005 through 2007 FWD and AWD Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego & FWD Freestyle Vehicles

If an affected vehicle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rear rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

2005 through 2007 AWD Freestyle Vehicles

Due to the configuration of the braking system on AWD Freestyle vehicles the front brake pads must be replaced when rear brake pads are replaced. Therefore, this program will allow replacement of front brake pads, but only if the rear brake pads require replacement during the same visit.
    If an affected AWD Freestyle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the front and rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTE: Brake pad inspection is part of normal maintenance and is not covered as part of this program. If the vehicle is within this extended time and mileage coverage and the owner experiences a brake system symptom or during a normal maintenance inspection (brakes every 15,000 miles or more often, per the Scheduled Maintenance Guide) the vehicle's rear brake pads are found to have less than 3 millimeters (0.118 inch) of lining material, then Ford Motor Company will cover the cost of replacing the rear brake pads.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Mailing will begin July 9, 2007.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
    Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
    Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter
  • freestylephilfreestylephil Member Posts: 7
    I am going to change the rotors/pads on the rear of my wifes Freestyle. Any special tools or adjustments I need to know about?

Thanks!
  • volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    Just had my second set of rotors and pads put on. First time Ford paid for them at 28,000 miles. This time I did at 53,000, $385. Put ceramics on this time. Will see how they do.
  • freestylephilfreestylephil Member Posts: 7
    2 new rotors and new pads cost about $120. The only problem was compressing the calipers. Each side turns a DIFFERENT direction which the generic tools that work fine on the GM products don't do. Used Vise Grips and a clamp to do the passenger side. Sure would be nice if the pads had the indicators that squeal to let you know it's time to replace them, rather than making you keep an eye on the thickness of the pads or wait for the gggrrinndd that lets you know it's too late!. Guess it forces more people to get service and/or spend close to $400 for the dealer to do what I could now easily do in less than 45minutes and only spend $120 or less than 25 minutes and $20 if only replacing the pads.
    Still really like the FREESTYLE though and will just pay more attention.
    freestylephil
  • oldschool1965oldschool1965 Member Posts: 1
    1st off, thanks to everyone here who posted, I used your info to fix my wifes brakes on her 07 freestyle. Here's my contribution, I followed the instructions and rented a caliper service kit from autozone and accomplished the LH pad change out with no problem. I struggled with the RH for a day & couldn't get it because the counter clockwise rotation was not compatable with the rented tool (Clockwise only). I went to the local harbor freight and they had the clowise kit for $19.99 but they also had an 18 piece set for $39.99 with two spindles one reguler (clockwise) & one with left hand threads to use for compressing & turning the piston counter clock wise...yes! Bought it home and finished the pain in the butt CCW caliper in 5 minutes. Here is the kit I bought & a link to buy it online if you dont have a harbor freight in your town, again thanks for the help on fixing my wifes brakes
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97143
  • slickoneslickone Member Posts: 1
    I have 85000 thousand on the car,have put on four set of rear pads, all works fine for a short time, then the rear brakes start to dragg.
    This happen only after I back up and try to pull forward, I can hit the brakes and they seem to free up.
    I notices tonight when I backed up at Wal Mart they dragged when I pulled forward, so I went out in the lot away from the other cars pull into a spot, park and backed out and to see what would happen, with out giving it the gas to move forward.
    the car would not move on it own for a few seconds and then it just pulled forward with no dragg what so ever.
    So that tells me the Calipers are not releasing as they should, any thoughts on this matter.
  • illustrator5illustrator5 Member Posts: 8
    I just got back yesterday from my oil and tire rotation to be told my rear brakes are gone AGAIN at 34K! They were just replaced at 15K and I had them checked regularly! Last Sept at 24K I was in the yellow but was told Ford would take no action at that time. Now the action they are giving me is none! How can an obvious defect in either design or equipment just be blown off like this?

Isn't this a lemon law issue? :mad:
    Going to the Ford dealership Tuesday about these brakes. If Ford will not fix them I am taking it to a private place Thursday. I also contacted a lemon law lawyer here in Wisconsin. He wants me to call him back Wednesday with Fords answer.

This should not be acceptable in any way shape or form. My next car will be either a Subaru Forester or Honda CR-V. Enough of this .....

I wonder if the Tarus X was a change because of all the problems with Freestyle! How can you go three model years with rear brake issues and no fix?
    I filed a complain with the nhtsa on this break issue. I suggest everyone else do the same. Something needs to be done we shouldn't be eating the cost of this every 15-20K

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm is the website
    file a complaint with the nhtsa on this too

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • summewesummewe Member Posts: 14
    I took my 2005 Freestyle (93K miles) in for maintenace service today and they said I need rear brakes/calipers again (4th time for brakes). I think I've had enough. Ford replaced the brakes once, reimbursed me once, and the third was on my own. The brakes/calipers on the rear will be $1068. Enough is enough.
    OMG....I have had enough too. Ford told me they only guranteed the replacement brakes for 12K so I am out of warranty for those....which is BS since the TSB extended the warrnaty to 36K or 3 years. Not only that I was vigilant about having them checked and when they were in the yellow a year ago with only 10K on them they blew me off then.

I filed a complaint with the nhtsa which is www.nhtsa.gov about this being a safety issue that maybe if enough freestyle owners filed they would light a fire under Ford.

Alan Mulally was just on CBS Good Morning this past Sunday saying how Ford is turning their business around yadah yadah! I am writing him a letter about this with the whole story!! Do not contact the customer service center they will just blow you off. I am assuming Mulally is at ford headquarters in Dearborn so....

The more we all scream about this issue maybe we will be heard....makes me wonder what CHANGES they made on the Tarus X!!
    I took my Freestyle to an independent garage today recommended by a friend. Apparently the company they order parts from has heard of this issue and is recommending a different set of pads to try. Both rotors are being replaced too and my brake lines need to be flushed out due to water. That part they said is normal due to time, climate and if I park in a damp garage.

My calipers were good and so are the front brakes. i had requested a radiator flush and they said it tested good and factory recommendations wasn't until 100K or to retest every so often.

I will post the name of the brakes etc when I get it back tonight...maybe this will help others.

Pattie :lemon:
    Now I got told there was a brake swelling issue when this first happened! Ask anyone with a Volvo if they have the same problem...bet not!

I am getting my second set of rear brakes and now rotors in 34K in 4 years! needless to say I am NOT happy with Ford...filed a complaint with the NHSTA and the state of WI lemon law. People need to scream and raise hell about this!! Models 2005 thru 7 have an issue with rear brake wear!

An independent shop is trying a different type of brake shoe to see if this works better...will post later check this list

pattie :lemon:
  • schmealschmeal Member Posts: 2
    Somewhat related question. Ford replaced our 2007 Freestyle Limited's brakes at 26,000 and I just had them replaced at 58,800 yesterday, this time NOT by our Ford dealership and at my expense. It was just the back brakes. The place that replaced them is trustworthy. I've brought my truck in twice and they sent me home at not charge and told me my pads were fine, so I DO trust them.

The guy said that it "looked" like whoever replaced them before put fronts on the backs. I thought quick enough to get the pads from him, but I'm dump founded on how to find out if that was the case.

Here are all the numbers on the pads, anyone else have any suggestions?
    Bosch, KF 6008, 0204, 207464, then there is 211.7 on 2 of them and 215.7 on the other two.

This was our last Ford, between my wife and me, it was our 6th, and we've NEVER had problems with them like this one. We are waiting a Throttle Body to come in so it can be replaced. The part is back ordered until December. We can at least drive it, for the moment.
  • pissedinnjpissedinnj Member Posts: 1
    I am tired of reading about how Ford continues to ignore this issue. There is no recall just a TSB. Brakes wearing out at 15K to 20K miles is NOT "normal". My expert mechanic (X-Ford and certified) looked at my 2005 Freestyle "premature" brake wear. The problem is clearly a design flaw. Also, being the same platform and sharing brake parts, the 500 has the same problem but usually goes longer to 30K miles which consumers and so-called "mechanics" just accept as normal. This is analagous to a doctor who doesn't know what's wrong with you but just keeps prescribing medicine and charging you for the office visit. It appears the caliper is not built to correct specs, allowing the piston to push the pad too far and into a cocked or jammed position, wearing and eventually scoring the rotor.. This does not allow the piston to return to its original position (when you let up on the brake pedal) thus causing drag and the premature pad wear (12-15K miles). The unique (flawed?)design requires the pistons to turn into the cylinder and requires using a special tool when replacing pads. On the 500, the pins could also "freeze" as a result of the piston problem. In my 2005, according to my expert, the piston traveled ALL THE WAY OUT but luckily the cylinder did not leak. If it had leaked, that brake would fail and the balance system should still allow you to brake but possibly causing loss of control like to a woman with kids in the car. Ford and their dealers have virtually ignored the situation and deny any problem (too few cars to worry about). Whatever happened to their Customer Satisfaction Program? My expert says the only preventive step is to replace the pads BEFORE they wear to this point or the same problem will occur as it has for MANY other owners. Its much cheaper to replace pads than calipers and rotors. Ford will do nothing on a car being phased out, although there have been recall notices on the 500 since they are keeping them. But the two cars SHARE all the brake parts so the 500 forum will be getting much bigger.
  • carherocarhero Member Posts: 1
    What a bunch of whiners you are. It's obvious the car has underdesigned rear rotors - Ford screwed up. It's obvious Ford is floundering. But all in all the 05 Freestyle is an excellent car of far superior value and safety to Subaru or whatever else is out there. In fact, the Freestyle is designed based on Volvo, Ford had access to all of Volvo's designs when they bought Volvo years back.

The fix is simple - spend a little more money and buy rotors that are slotted and drilled - therefore remain far cooler. In fact I never replace rotors on any car that are not slotted and drilled. Also use ceramic pads that are almost always guaranteed for life. Sure it will cost you a few hundred more bucks for this kind of upgrade, and I'd agree it is Ford's fault, but it's well worth it for every car you own whenever you replace the rotors. And in the end costs less than your pathetic effort of your endlessly complaining, and less than buying a Subaru.