Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series Fuel System Questions

connie5connie5 Member Posts: 5
FUEL/GAS LEAKAGE. Had 2500 miles on NEW jag, when strong gasoline odor came from our garage. There was gasoline leaking onto floor. called jag roadside service, who refused to pick up car until fire dept said it was ok. Fire dept arrived, and rolled car out of garage onto driveway, where gasoline poured out. Fire chief refused to have tow truck come, until they cleaned tray under tank that was filled with gasoline. This was done, and towed to dealer. Dealer replaced fuel seals which they say failed, but could not guarantee it would not happen again. Jag corporate would not tell me I was safe. Two weeks later, same thing happened and car was towed again. This time I waited 18 days until they put in new gas tank, without any guarantee this would happen again. DANGEROUS PROBLEM, AND I AM PETRIFIED TO DRIVE CAR. MY FIVE CAR PASSENGER AUTOMOBILE HAS BECOME ONE PASSAGE DRIVER, BECAUSE NO ONE WILL DRIVE IN IT. ANYONE ELSE WITH SAME PROBLEM. By the way, this happens when gas tank is filled.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How weird. What's the big deal about Jaguar fixing a gas line or vent leak at the gas tank? They should be ashamed of themselves not to be able to take care of what is probably a rather straightforward plumbing job.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    By now, you shold have received info regarding this or a similar problem. As of this date, there is an embargo on the sale of ALL 2006 & 2007 Jag XJ's, due to a fuel tank issue. The solution is at hand, and I presume all XJ's will be refitted with a newly designed gas tank.
  • bigkatbigkat Member Posts: 2
    Just an update to your posting. I bought a New 2006 XJ8L over two weeks ago !! and still have no idea when it will be delivered to me. Although the dealer gave me a 2004 XK8 to drive I would really like the car I purchased. Any clue on how long the gas tank issue is going to take?
    :(
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    When we had a similar problem with LR3 fuel tanks about a year ago we canablized LR3s not involved in the recall. Basicly taking tanks out of good vehicles to sell the recalled vehicles. I am not sure if Jaguar has any non-recalled XJ8s around but it could be something you could bring up with the sales manager.
  • bigkatbigkat Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the update. I just talked to the owner of the Jag dealership and he said that there's a conference call today to bring them up todate with this. I quess the manufacturer just got the ok for the new design and they'll be a rush to get this fixed. Just doesn't seem like a good start to me. Thanks
  • nancyisenbergnancyisenberg Member Posts: 1
    I purchased what appears to be an inline fuel filter for my 1999 Jaguar XJ8. The parts place says it's located under the car on the drivers side, nope, Jaguar says it's in front of the drivers side wheel well nope, anybody replace the fuel filter. Looked in the truck and under the back seat no luck. Car won't kick over but does crank. Suggestion?
  • redrocketmanredrocketman Member Posts: 1
    Just found this forum and interested to see the same problem that I am facing. I have a 2002 XJ8 which cranks but won't fire and I suspect fuel starvation. I can't seem to locate a workshop manual for the car and would love to know where to find the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel reset (if there is one). Does anyone know where these items are located, or any other likely cause of this problem? Also, does anyone know of an aftermarket workshop manual published for these cars? Thanks
  • ksjksj Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a second hand 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plais from Jaguar dealer in 2002-2003. It had 43,000 miles. We've spent over $15,000 on repairs. Transmission was redone, a/c and other major problems fixed. Now my car is in the shop. Check engine light came on before and never came back. Dealer said maybe crank shaft--cost anywhere between $2500 to $6000. I love my car. No car can beat the style and look of the classic jaguar look. Should I throw in the towel at this point or fix it? Will there ever be an end to fixing the 1998 jag? I have 86,000 miles to date.
  • ksjksj Member Posts: 6
    The dealership just told me that my timing chain broke. Once they open the cover, I might also have to change the valves because it could be bent. Now, did anyone have this problem on the timing chain? How come they just don't replace the timing chain at 85,000 or whatever in their service maintenance? It will cost me approximately $3300 to change the timing chain and maybe another $1100 if the valves are bent. Does that sound right?

After fixing my transmission, air con and timing chain, do you know of any other major problems you've had go wrong?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - you might want to also post your questions here: Got a Quick Technical Question? while we wait to see if someone can chime in hear. There are more gearheads hanging out in that discussion than here, so give it a shot.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  • jag21jag21 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please advise the location of my fuel filter on my 1999Jaguar xj8 -- thank you --stu -
  • myusername2myusername2 Member Posts: 3
    I have been trying to resolve a long cranking condition on a 94 xj12 I have had to replace the fuel filter about 1500 miles ago because it was almost completely restricted-vehicle would not rev up beyond 2000 rpm's That worked great for about a month but it has started taking 15-20 seconds of cranking before it slowly comes to life it runs fine out on the road no miss or hesitation I replaced the fuel pressure regulator after reading about a tsb pertaining to what sounded like this exact scenario did not change anything I did insert a fuel pressure gauge in place of the fuel filter and watched 85 psi of fuel pressure but noticed it falls off as soon as the pump quits running I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter again as a precaution I then replaced the primary fuel pump with an oem bosch pump not the housing just the pump still not getting anywhere I am starting to go bald on the right side from pulling my hair out is there anyone who has walked this road before or seen this scenario play out? Thanks! :confuse: ">
    Coupe convertible or sedan?
    it has just come to my attention that I just responded to a post that has been here for almost a year...somewhat of a ghost town in here
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yeah, you're right, there haven't been a lot of posts here lately. But oftentimes a new post (or three :-D) will attract other posters who are waiting for something new to read.

However, if no one shows up soon, try posting in our Answers section over there on the right sidebar.

Good luck - hope we can help one way or the other!
    The Fuel Filter is located along the frame rail, next to the fuel tank, and near the driver side rear wheel.
  • poetlorryitpoetlorryit Member Posts: 1
    Just been reading Sep 08 issue of Jaguar World and it has an article about changing the timing chain tensioners. Any 4.0 AJ-V8 built before 21st Oct '98 will have a plastic bodied TCT which fails and causes catastrophic engine damage :sick: the valves and pistons unite in unholy matrimony. If your engine number is 9810210599 or less then it will have the bad tensioner if it has the original factory one still fitted. You need the newer 4.2 spec ones fitted real soon, it says if you can hear any chain rattle from the front end switch it off and tow it to nearest garage before it die$$$. Added to that this engine has a $3k throttle body mod that needs to have been done or it stalls a lot and those cylinder liners are nickasil if manufactured before sep '99 which can fail causing low compression.
  • johnwesley1johnwesley1 Member Posts: 11
    can someone tell me the firing order of my 1991 jag. xjs v12 also which piston do they call number 1. also where is the fuel filter located on this car..the car seems to idle ok but has no power when accelerate. it will drive up to 60 with no problem as long as you get there slowly. this started all at once while i was driving i just lost power.
    edited April 2010
    FIRING ORDER 1A-6B-5A-2B-3A-4B-6A-1B-2A-5B-4A-3B

Cylinders numbered from front. As it is viewed from rear of vehicle (driver's seat), "A" is right bank and "B" is left bank.

Fuel filter Located in trunk behind spare tire.

Your symptoms suggest you could have dropped a cylinder, either a bad plug or wire or an internal issue. With this V-12, you wouldn't necessary notice a missing cylinder at idle but you would when you accelerate.
    Thank you for your reply. i always come here for advice and always get good feedback. I have another question if you dont mind. I am going to change my exhaust system to get a more mellow tone and hopefully improve the performance some..more for the sound rather than performance. I cut off the exhaust system just in front of the converters and plan to run a straight through exhaust back to the resanaters. when i removed the 2 into 1 pipes from the manifolds so i could weld on the straight pipes to them i noticed the tops of the pipes are somewhat solid i know the exhaust flows through them ok but dont know why these are there. Are they for back pressure or what? would it be ok to knock these out and allow a straight though eshaust or would this hurt performance? Thanks for any help and info you could give me..All the performance engines i have built I have never seen any exhaust pipes have this type of solid type look comming right out of the manifold
    Yes backpressure is always an issue. I think your plan will result in very loud exhaust noises and possibly you will lose some performance on account of insufficient back pressure. Exhaust systems are somewhat of a science so I suspect the engineers restricted the flow in the manifold for a reason. I can't really say. Could also be for strength/noise suppression.

In any event be prepared for a bit of a racket at highway speeds.
    Help !!!! As per my last posts i'm having problems with my 91 xjs v12..as before the engine had no power. it still run and would go down the road but with no power i could tell it seemed to be on the right bank (bank A) i thought maybe the catilinc converter was cloged so i cut it off and ran a str8 pipe back..Ok after starting it seemed better but still no power and now you could really tell it was on the right bank missing bad like not hitting on all the cylinders. so i completely tuned it up new plugs, plug wires, dist. cap and rotor, new fuel filter. Now its still missing on the right bank. So I switched the coils after doing that right bank seemed to be running ok took it for a short ride still no power but now seemed to be the left bank now. all of a sudden i saw smoke comming from under the hood got out to look and the converter on the left side was glowing red. I got it back home and let it cool down and tried to start it but no fire at all so I switched the coils back and still no fire wont start at all now..I know the coil on the right bank must have been bad cause after i switched them the right bank seemed to fire ok..my question is why would the bad coil now on the left bank cause the converter to get so hot i mean red hot..never had that problem till i switched the coils..now i'm guessing both coils have gone bad cause i have no fire at all. I ordered 2 new coils but hate to put them on if i have another issue causing them to burn out. I'm sure they are the origenal coils that came on the car. just seems funny they both quit at almost the same time..sure would appreciate any imput you may have for me..thanks
    I am getting no fire out of my coils replaced old coils with new still getting no fire out of coils. any suggestions?
  • rhemcommrhemcomm Member Posts: 3
    Car runs but will cut off. Sometimes Starts right back up and sometimes wont. Not getting any Vehicle Error Codes. I believe it may be a fuel Problem. Could it be a Dirty Fuel Filter?
  • rhemcommrhemcomm Member Posts: 3
    Transmission Dash Light Comes on at times which makes the Transmission Shift Hard. I can sometimes Turn off ignition and then Restart Car and Dash Transmission Light goes off. Manual says take it to the Dealer. Any suggestions besides that?
  • barnstormer1barnstormer1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1990 XJ6 that will start right up and drive slowly, but when you push down the accelerator it starts slowing down. Parked with the engine running you can rev it up and it seems just fine. Start down the road and if it is flat you can gradually get up to 60mph , but as soon as you push down on the pedal it starts slowing down. The fuel filter has been replaced. There is a backfire through the intake if at speed you hold down the accelerator as the engine slows down.HELP!!!
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    2001 Jaguar XJ8 Engine Light came on and after car sets for a few day at times difficult to get started. Once started runs fine and restarts with no problem. Changed fuel filter, new spark plugs and air filter and this did not help. Car runs fine just this engine light and difficult getting started only at times? This car has 81,000milesw and often sets for weeks before driven.
    Sounds like a fuel delivery issue and a leanness condition, but from what, it's hard to say without pulling codes and further diagnosis. Also another wild guess, these cars have been known to stall or move off slowly when transmission fluid is very low.
    Car will not start at times and has no fuel pressure, try later and may get fuel pressure and starts and runs fine. Get Code P1247 02 sensor control chip bank 2 and not sure this is my problem or if this sensor can now and then cut off all fuel? Before getting this code got code P1230 fuel relay that I changed and now this code P1247?
    NEED ADVICE!
    Dennis
    are you sure the number isn't 1647?
    The code is P1647 and I have changed out the 02 sensor bank 2 and still get the same code P1647. At one time I was getting code P1230 fuel relay, changed this out and now get code P1647 only. At times you may not get fuel pressure, and go back and all is fine with exception of engine light on? The fuel relay picks up but no voltage for the pump and later voltage and all is fine?
    Dennis
    are your sure you replaced bank 2 sensor, which is on your right as you face the car, and is placed before the catalytics?
    I will check but replaced the sensor on the right setting in the car? From in front of the car is not bank 2 on the left?
    Dennis
    I have now replaced both 02 sensors and now can not get fuel pressure. The relay picks up but no voltage at the fuel fuse?
    Okay so you're saying you still have intermittent, random fuel pressure...which was your original problem?
    Not intermittent anymore, can get no fuel pressure, have voltage at the tank plug and now pulling the fuel tank to install new pump. You were right about the second bank, and If you have not changed that sensor you do not want to as it was most difficult.
    Dennis
    arghhh! :(
  • choquetchoquet Member Posts: 3
    I have one too and have learned not to believe everyone on line so I'll tell you what I know for sure. There is a temp sensor next to the gauge temp sensor, it has an oval 2 prong socket. If this sensor is bad it will make engine run lean, too rich and incorrect timing. If this condition has persisted your plugs will be carbon fouled. Clean-up plugs re=gap (make sure they are right ones), then jump the two terminals on sensor plug and see if this helps performance. If it does replace the sensor if it doesn't you haven't wasted any money. Now will you tell me where the fuel filter is located, I don't feel like looking all over for it. TX Choquet
    If you don't want it let me know. You NEED to find a good honest mechanic or someone is really dogging your car, anyway the repairs are priced too high. Jaguar made quality cars and if maintained properly will go a long way. Didn't see the "serviced timing chain/belt" which gets done @ 60K mi., if it fail severe engine damage is almost certain. Get a re-manufactured crank installed if its broken, don't be afraid of used jag parts. Keep it and fire your mech.
    Well Sir, Replaced the fuel pump. Found wire inside tank burned pump seemed ok. Replaced pump with new one ( AirTex brand) and now getting above 60psi before it was 35-40 with old pump, and now a leak at the tank fitting going in. Should I put old pump back in when I try and repair leak? Pulled tank with lines attached and not sure if these fitting have a "o ring" or what and if just maybe this high pressure is part to blame for this leak ? .
    YOUR ADVICE!
    Too much pressure, yes. Should be 42 psi. I don't know this car at all, so I'm in the dark here. There IS a sealing ring for the evaporative loss flange at the tank.
    I need a free download manual, for a 1990 Sovereign. Scope of service work requires exact info and pics, tired of slow dancing. I know there's a Haynes or Chilton out there, I got it and deleted it cause it was a lot on my computer.
    you can buy one used for $8 bucks. Surely your baby is worth that? :P

used Haynes Manual for Jaguar on Amazon
  • gene37gene37 Member Posts: 11
    There is no question but that the early 90's Jags had lots of fuel supply, and consequent starting problems. I have been there (with a 92, XJ6). But, there is one possible fix that has worked for me a couple of times, when I thought I had a fuel starvation problem, and the engine would not hit a lick. Try re-setting the Computer. Disconnect the + battery side for 10 min. or so. Turn on the switch, then reconnect. Leave the switch on and disconnect the battery again. Turn off the switch. Re-connect and see it she won't crank up.

You may be getting fuel to the fuel manifold, but not past the injectors, if the computer is off-base (or shot).

Gene37
  • neal36neal36 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 84 XJS HE that has a fuel leak on the pressure side just after coming out of the pump on the wheel well side. A rubber hose is situated between the differential saddle and the frame. Does any one know how to replace this hose without having to remove the saddle?
  • fjfgtofjfgto Member Posts: 2

@nancyisenberg said:
    I purchased what appears to be an inline fuel filter for my 1999 Jaguar XJ8. The parts place says it's located under the car on the drivers side, nope, Jaguar says it's in front of the drivers side wheel well nope, anybody replace the fuel filter. Looked in the truck and under the back seat no luck. Car won't kick over but does crank. Suggestion?
    @redrocketman said:
    Just found this forum and interested to see the same problem that I am facing. I have a 2002 XJ8 which cranks but won't fire and I suspect fuel starvation. I can't seem to locate a workshop manual for the car and would love to know where to find the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel reset (if there is one). Does anyone know where these items are located, or any other likely cause of this problem? Also, does anyone know of an aftermarket workshop manual published for these cars? Thanks

• fjfgtofjfgto Member Posts: 2

what is the answer

On the 1999 XJ8 sedan the Fuel Filter is located along the frame rail, next to the fuel tank, and near the driver side rear wheel.

On the 2002 XJ8, same place.

A 'no start' condition can be caused by many things--it would be a long list. First thing you can do is have the car scanned for trouble codes---sometimes chain stores like autozone or OReilly will do this for you for free.

Also, here's a CHECKLIST of things you or your mechanic can look at:

http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/