Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    FINALLY! A well-thought out, intelligent, informative response. Thank you, Conwelpic. I truly appreciate it. :)

Now, as a response to your responses:

Aux port - Nevertheless, the Rondo I rented didn't have one and the rental papers did say 2008. Maybe it was an anomaly?

Seats - seems there is a discrepancy between LX and EX models where the LX's have cheap, easily-stained materials and not so comfortable seats. Sucks to be an LX owner, then! In the M5 you get the same seat quality in ALL trims, with the exception of the leather offered on the GT.

Steering - there's no other way for me to explain this other than to say that it felt like a rubber band. It didn't have a leather covering (LX), and as soon as you steered it, the wheel would almost snap back like a rubber band. It didn't have much road feel and just felt very cheap. Others in my group drove it, and also concurred.

Turning Circle - According to an EDMUNDS comparison: Mazda 5 Turning Circle 34.8ft / Kia Rondo Turning Circle 36.1ft. End.

Suspension - Have you actually extensively driven a 2008 5 as I did the Rondo? If you did, then you wouldn't have argued this. The ride on the 5 is superior to that of the Rondos. I regularly carry 4 to 6 passengers in my 5 and never have I experienced the bottoming out and the harshness that I experienced in the Rondo. I still feel the Rondo's ride is like a mirage: it gave the first impression of being comfortable, but fell apart as the bumps came - esp. w/ a full-load. Hey, just talk to the girls who were sitting in the third row of the Rondo and ask them how their hineys felt after their ride! Poor things.

Handling - Again, have you extensively driven the 5? The 5 handles much better than the Rondo, a fact that even other Rondo owners have attested to. Once you get spoiled with the handling of the 5, it's hard to drive anything else that doesn't meet or surpass it. And, yes, I felt the Rondo's handling to be sloppy and roll-heavy.

Fuel Economy - EPA for 5: 21/27. EPA for Rondo: 19/26. Regardless of your individual experience, the fact remains that the 5 is more economical with fuel. Though I did, at one point, have 7 passengers in the Rondo, it was exactly that...at one point. The rest of the trip was mostly just my wife and I, and still the Rondo got worse fuel economy than the 5. Point, blank, period.

Cruise Control - Again, Edmunds comparison: Mazda 5 SPORT (the cheapest trim) - "Cruise Control: Cruise Control". Kia Rondo LX - "Cruise Control: Not Available". End. (Besides, I'm in the US, not Canada.)

Looks - You're right. This is entirely subjective. But, hey, there are Studebaker, Gremlin, Yugo, Aztek, Prius (and, now add Rondo) owners out there who think their cars look hot, too! There is such a thing as bad taste regardless of subjectivity. Not saying YOU have bad taste, I don't know you and won't pre-judge like that, but most people I have talked to about the Rondo agree in saying that the Rondo ranges from outright "ugly" to "dorky" to, at most, just "cute". But, you're allowed to like whatever you want to like, my fellow intelligent forum poster friend you! :blush:

All in all, I'm glad you enjoy your Rondo and are happy with your decision. All I am saying in this Mazda5 VS. Kia Rondo forum, where most people are missing out on the whole VS part of the equation, is that the 5 is still a better car regardless of it being ever so slightly smaller on the inside.

(BTW, just so you know, leather steering wheel and shift knob, electroluminescent gauges, sunroof, 6 cd/mp3 capacity, rear spoiler, fog lights, side skirts, 17" rims, cruise control, steering wheel audio controls, truly useful and spacious middle row underseat "secret" storage compartments (to compensate for flimsy door pockets that Rondo's have), 5-speed auto trans w/manual mode, Automatic climate control, external temperature gauge, DVD-player and more are all either standard or available on the lowest to middle trim ranges of the 5 here in the USA - Sport and Touring. The Grand Touring has even more stuff. But, I know that bells and whistles don't make a car better, its engineering, performance and quality does)
    Seriously? :confuse:

Who's offended? :confuse:

Relax, dude.

It's just a forum on competing cars. As the opposing side, I am, therefore, competing with yours. That's all. Nothin' more, nothin' less. I'm not "hating" on you...I'm "hating" on the Rondo. Learn how to separate the two.

For your sake, I think we should all hold hands and sing:
    "Shiny, happy people holding hands..."

Anyone know REM's phone number?
    Have one.

Thanks, though! :P
    You're so bad! :P

Hey, we've been called "buddies" out there. Wonder Mazda 5 twins...UNITE!
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Not sure where you're looking on Edmund's when you say that the turning circle is 36.1 ft as that is false, here is what is posted on the Edmund's site Turning Circle: 34.4 ft. which differs from the Kia site that says 35.4 ft and 36.1 ft with the 17" wheels I've driven both vehicles and each has their good and bad points to them, in the end it boils down to what suits you best. One thing I didn't like in the Mazda is that I was told on an oil change unless you order the oil filter and do it yourself you have to take it in to the dealer which surprised me. I would not recommend any adult try to sit in the third row of either vehicle, pure torture in both in my humble opinion. Personally I like both vehicles and no I'm not delusional because I happen to like both :D
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    First, I apologize for not stepping in sooner, but I was away for a few days and just now catching up.

Second, the personal jabs and insults stop now. This is about the vehicles, not each other. Just because someone doesn't share the same love you have for your chosen vehicle does not give you any right to ridicule and belittle them. If it continues, your participation in this discussion will be restricted.

Third, for clarification, this topic resides in the Mazda5 group, but is also linked to Kia Rondo. I am the host here.

Thanks for your future cooperation.
  • vannervanner Member Posts: 47
    All of the pro-Mazda5 arguments would not convince me, no matter how many or what type. No amount of data, no mountain of reviews, no politeness or assertiveness will make me want or drive a 5. I tested one the same amount I tested the Rondo before I bought the Rondo. The 5 would not and never will grow on me, nor my wife nor our kids. It just didn't please us and that's what choice is all about. The 5 didn't "suck", it didn't do anything poorly, we just didn't like it. (It didn't help any that the Mazda5 exhaust-related fires happened right when I started shopping and sales were halted for a LONG time to fix that little "feature".)

Now, for those so incredibly pleased with your choice of a 5 over a Rondo, I am happy for you. There is a forum for you folks that is not on the "Rondo Forum", and that's over on the Mazda 5 forum:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef14c39!make=Mazda&model=MAZDA5

We won't bother you there. Or, at least I won't, since I could not possibly care less about Mazdas or even if there are any.
  • medicinemanmedicineman Member Posts: 135
    nissmazlover,

Many months ago, I cross-shopped the Rondo and Mazda5. I bought the Rondo. The deciding factors were that the Rondo could seat up to seven on the odd occasion and I preferred a bench in the second row. If the Mazda5 had this, I would have purchased the 5 based on reputation alone (i.e., Mazda having a better rep pretty much by default in most people's minds).

So that's basically why I didn't buy the "better car."

If you check out the Kia forums, you'll notice others who also cross-shopped the Rondo and Mazda5 and obviously bought the Rondo (just as I'm sure there are cross-shoppers who frequent the Mazda forums who ended up with the 5). I can't really speak for all those Rondo owners who decided not to buy the "better car." Why? Because there doesn't seem to be a common thread. In my mind, I thought most people would choose the Rondo based on the same reasons as why I ultimately chose it (i.e., the second-row bench and seating for seven). As it turns out, I seem to be the only one who ever mentions that as the deciding factor.

Over at the Kia forums, you'll find Rondo owners in their 20's to Rondo owners in their 70's. You'll find Rondo owners with young kids and Rondo owners with grown kids and Rondo owners with no kids. From all walks of life. But why would a guy in his twenties decide to buy a Rondo instead of the "cooler car"? Why would a mom with two young'uns decide to buy a Rondo instead of the car with sliding doors and two captain's chairs in the middle row? I don't know. Ask them.

Actually, just a few weeks ago, I recommended to a mom that she shouldn't buy a Rondo.

She is a young married mother with a tween, a toddler and another one on the way. She was looking at a GMC Acadia because of the room, the second-row captain's chairs and, yes, the looks. But she's also a new driver, so she didn't want to buy a huge vehicle, especially a minivan.

I told her that with three kids, the Rondo probably would be too small and, despite her preference, a not-so-minivan would best suit her needs. If she were steadfast about buying a smaller vehicle, I recommended that she should look at the Mazda5 because it has (like the Acadia) second-row captain's chairs plus sliding doors.

She posted later and said that they had just test driven a Mazda5. She liked its looks and the seating, but she hated the way it drove (believe it or not) and thought it was too small inside. She said that her 11-year-old and DH are quite tall and there wasn't enough legroom for them. She thought that the Rondo had much more room, but only wished it had different seating.

I don't know what she eventually bought, but that's besides the point (yeah, there's actually a point).

If the Mazda5 is clearly the "better car," then why are some people deliberately choosing an inferior product? It can't be the price since they are both priced similarly. Are the cross-shoppers who chose the Rondo over the 5 under some sort of delusion? Is that mom delusional for thinking the 5 is too small for her needs? Is she just plain nuts for not liking the way it drives? Should she be committed for failing to see that the 5 is actually a "better car"?

The truth is, when you say that the Mazda5 is a "better car," you're really only saying that it's better for yourself. "But look," you might say, "the 5 is better looking, handles better, better on gas, better for kids" and so on. Yeah, better for you. Get it?

From most reviews that I've read that mentions both vehicles, they usually state that the 5 looks better and handles better. You can also bolster that with some hard statistics, such as perhaps the turning radius, mileage, etc. So yeah, I guess you can use all of that to proclaim that the 5 is, in fact, "better." But better for whom? For you? For me? For that mom? You think she is having second thoughts now that you've figured out for all of us that the 5 is "better"?

Some point of fact that you consider as "better" might not be "better" for someone else. In fact, it might be totally irrelevant.

The Mazda5 might look "better" because the Rondo has features such as a bulbous minivan-like exterior, unfashionably low beltline, tall roof and huge windows--but I'm not willing to sacrifice the Rondo's great visibility and roominess (perceived and real) just to be part of the "in" crowd. So in what way would the Mazda5's "betterness" in the looks department be actually "better" for me? It's not like I'm cruising for dates (my wife would object). In reality and in practice, the Rondo's looks is better for me because I prefer what those "dorky" features give me--a very open and spacious cabin with mostly excellent sightlines all around. If one ain't confident enough to be seen in a Rondo, get a Mazda5.

As I've stated before, perhaps some think that a "real man" wouldn't drive a vehicle that looks like this, but I beg to differ. Only a real man can drive a vehicle as "ugly" as this. As The Family Guy's Peter Griffin once said, "Every guy you see with a big house or a fancy car or a shiny gold tooth is really just saying, 'Don't look at my penis.'" Laugh at me in my doofus-mobile if you really want to, but I get the last laugh where it really counts.

Yeah, the Mazda5 might be a better handling vehicle than the Rondo with unexpected "zoom zoom" (that inane advertising slogan) for a utility vehicle--but again, better for whom? I didn't buy a people hauler to marvel at how well it handles--this is a practical vehicle, first and foremost. Am I going to be pushing it like a sports car and admiring how well it corners while I'm in stop-and-go traffic with wife and kid in tow?

Personally, I prefer a softer suspension and not overly sensitive steering in a utility vehicle (maybe that's what that mom prefers, too). These are not very sporty preferences, but it's better for me. Yes, I have driven a 5 and I admired the way it handled. The Rondo, however, handles and steers quite well for a utility vehicle (just my experience and obviously not yours)--but it's nevertheless a secondary consideration when it comes to what I look for in vehicles like this.

Strange how a "not better" vehicle can somehow be better for me and some other folks. Funny that.

BTW, the majority of reviews that I've read (and I've read a lot of them, just ask my fellow Rondo owners) mention that one of the Rondo's pluses is its smooth ride--unlike your experience and just like my experience.

Anyway, enjoy your clearly "better car." I'll do the same with mine.

(I get déjà vu whenever I read this thread. Everyone--especially me--keeps repeating the same things over and over again. What's old is new again. Which is, among other reasons, why I rarely read this thread anymore.)
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    no I have not driven a Mazda 5, it did not meet our requirements as I stated, so I wasn't going to waste my valuable time driving it. However, if the Rondo had not impressed me I would perhaps have done that.
    When I took the 2.4L Rondo out for a test drive (and it was not a quick run around the block, we drove it for 50km) on various roads including the 401 (our freeway) to check out on ramp acceleration and passing at high speed and was absolutely blown away by its power, performance and handling and fast response - there was no need to look further or even to try out their V6 model. That clinched the deal!

The Rondo is the better car for our criteria.
    Personal jab not intended here at all, so please don't take it as such. Nevertheless, to me, from what you have written, it seems as though you are not a car enthusiast whatsoever. You prefer comfort and space at the expense of better driving dynamics and attractive styling. That's fine, it's your preference, but you just don't "get" it, and that's fine. I'm sure there are a lot of other things you do "get".

Now, just because someone prefers better looking cars, it doesn't mean they suffer from having short "members" (no need to go into measurements here (lol), but I've always been happy and proud of myself, and so has my wife ;). Also, how do you explain the 5 women I was with, 3 of whom know nothing about cars, who also very much disliked the Rondo and its styling and preferred the 5? Do they have short members, too? LOL) . It simply means they like good looking cars and appreciate good design. Nothing more.

All this "pc-ness" is really tiring. Preferences and opinions can, in deed, be wrong. Someone out there just might prefer a White Castle hamburger over a real Angus hamburger. Does this, then, mean that the Angus burger stops being a better burger? Obviously not. Filet Mignon is still a better quality meat than chuck steak, even if I love chuck steak. Aretha Franklin is a better singer than Britney Spears. No matter how many crazy fans love Britney's voice, Franklin has a higher quality voice. This is what I mean by "better is better regardless of preference", and, now, regardless of criteria. A family may need an under $30K 7-passenger minivan. Does that mean that a Mercedes GL series stops being a better car than their Chevy Uplander simply because it doesn't meet their criteria? Come on. It might not fit their needs, but it's still a better car.

I still stick by my original posting. Objectively, The Mazda 5 is a better car than the Kia Rondo, even if the Rondo is slightly larger inside and, technically, fits 7 people, and the M5 only 6. It simply feels as its built to a higher standard of overall quality, refinement, design and styling, thereby making it a better car regardless of the fact that someone may need a rear bench seat as opposed to the inherently more comfortable captain chairs.

And, again, I never said that someone choosing a Rondo over a 5 makes them delusional. I said claiming that it is a better car than the 5 makes them delusional, as would an owner claiming their Uplander is better than a GL series. And I'm not claiming they need to be committed, either. There is more than one meaning to the word delusion. (Link - www.dictionary.com: Delusion #3 - A false belief or opinion (ex: delusions of grandeur). Nothing more.)

Mind you all, I really WANTED to like the Rondo. I did. Honestly! But, it sorely disappointed me, and it made me appreciate my 5 even more. I don't like to be an "armchair philosopher" which is why I wanted to actually experience a Rondo before I wrote about it and compared it to the 5. And that's what I wanted to do: share that experience in a Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo forum, and have a little harmless fun in the process. But, it seems as though Kia owners really don't like to have fun, which is why they didn't buy a Mazda in the first place :P . (That was a harmless joke, now, people. Don't be getting all offended)

Side note: Edmunds listed MSRP for M5 = $18,945
    Edmunds listed MSRP for Rondo = $16,395. Difference = $2,550.
    A big enough reason for many to choose the Rondo.
    Query answered: you've never driven a Mazda 5, and made your choice between the two without doing so.

Enjoy your Rondo!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I agree with a lot of your points. Many folks have bought Ford Windstar minivans over buying an Odyssey or Sienna, even though the Windstar and GM minivans are so much more inferior. Or folks buy the Ford Focus or Cobolt over a Corolla, Civic or Mazda3, even though again the Focus and Cobolt are inferior vehicles.

Why? Who knows. Most has to do probably with price. But the funny thing is that those folks will then try to say that their vehicle is better than the Odyssey, Corolla or whatever instead of simply saying that they didn't want to spend the money.

Or even if money wasn't the only issue, people make bad decisions all the time and just because someone buys a car and says it was best based on their criteria doesn't make it so. They may have made the wrong choice but don't know it yet and/or don't want to admit it. Most people don't aren't going to spend $20K on a vehicle, take it home and then complain about how bad it is. That's why the various car reviews are benificial...the reviewers don't have a personal stake in the vehicle.

On the other hand, you can tell when one is trying to be objective and tell both side, as compared to someone who is just trying to convince everyone (and mostly themselves) that their car is the best.

I'd say from what I've read from the reviews and my own experience, the Mazda5 is a superior vehicle, but then if you must have seating for 7 or need to tow, then the Mazda5 isn't even on your short list.

As far as price and warranty, Kia owners will find out what a "limited" warranty really means when they start having problems down the road. I'd much rather have a higher quality car with a shorter waranty then vice versa.

And personally, I'd much rather drive a vehicle with superior driving dynamics then ride in a vehicle with slightly larger 2nd row legroom. The cargo area of the Mazda5 is actually larger behind the 2nd row (44.4 vs 31.7CuFt according to the manufacturer's websites). I also like the sliding door, plus the 3rd row passengers will get more cool air from the AC vents due to the 2nd row captain chairs.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought a Honda Fit over a Nissan Versa for many of the same reasons that I think the Mazda5 is better then the Rondo, and I don't own either of them.
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    "Objectively, The Mazda 5 is a better car than the Kia Rondo"
    Here we go again! To YOU, the M5 is a better car than the Rondo. To ME, the Rondo is a better car than the M5.

And you say "I said claiming that it is a better car than the 5 makes them delusional"
    Well, I guess I am delusional since I KNOW the Rondo is a better car than the M5, for ME. For YOU, the M5 is a better car than the Rondo.

You just can't let it go, can you?
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Wide sliding doors?

Find and pictures credited to a fellow Mazda5 owner...

image">
    You just don't get it, do you? Well, then, you said it. If you "KNOW the Rondo is a better car then the M5", then that makes you _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

Last time I'll try to reason with you or any other Rondo owners that feel similary:

Just because you bought the Rondo and it fits your criteria and you consider it better for you, it doesn't automatically make it a better car than the 5. It just isn't, and you can't accept it. OF COURSE you think the Rondo is a better car for YOU. YOU made the decision to buy it! It still doesn't change the fact that, in general, the 5 is a better car. Period.

Back in the 80's, many people started buying Excels and thought their cars were perfect for them and their "criteria". By your admission and reasoning, this fact alone would inherently make their Excels better than the Civics, Corollas and Sentras that were also available to them simply because their car fit their criteria. HELLO! How does this make any sense? Regardless of their preference or decision, there were better cars out there! And, those cars didn't stop being better just because some people decided to buy Excels instead! Same is the case for the Rondo. Decent car? Yes. Perfect for you? Fine. Better car than the M5? Definitely not, regardless of your criteria or preference.
    Thank you, Bobw3! Perfectly said.

So, question, how have you experienced the 5? Do you own one? Have you test driven it? If so, what year? The 2008's are even better than the 06 and 07s. I had an 06, first, and I loved it. Then, traded up to an 08, and love it even more.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    No, I don't own a Mazda5...just looking. I was thinking about it 3 1/2 years ago when it first came out, but when I needed to buy in Feb'05, the Mazda5 wasn't out, so I bought a Ford Freestyle. Down the road when it comes time to replace the FS I'll probably go for something a litle smaller, since after our two kids are out of diapers and strollers, I won't need so much space in the car. Plus I want to get something more fuel efficient.

Our small car is a Honda Fit, so I'm looking at cars like a Honda Fit with 3 rows and there aren't many out there...at least not yet! I think Honda and Toyota will bring to the US one of their compact 3 row cars like the Honda Stream sometime in the future, so that will be good competition for this sector. Until then, I agree that the Mazda5 is the better of the two vehicles, but maybe not in such an extreme way as you ;)
    What can I say? I'm passionate. :P

A three row Fit would be cool!
    I think we are all well aware of who likes what. If this discussion is just going to continue to be a "neener, neener, mine is better than yours and you're stupid not to admit it."...well, it is no longer a comparison about the vehicles and no longer useful to anyone considering the two.

If you own a Mazda5, I encourage you to post in this discussion:
    Mazda5 Owners: Give us your report!.

A new discussion created for Rondo owners: Kia Rondo Owner Reports
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Karen, which one do you think is better?

;)
    Oh, you've been around long enough to know that I am biased. In fact, I believe I've been accused of loving or hating every make/model created simply because of my attempts to keep a discussion on topic and civil. :shades:
    It still doesn't change the fact that, in general, the 5 is a better car. Period. ..........Better car than the M5? Definitely not, regardless of your criteria or preference.

I understand what you are trying to say, but so far its just perceived, where is your proof other than your own observations and other M5 owners that it is "the better car"
    Where is the proof than an Angus hamburger is better than a White Castle hamburger?

In addition to common sense when actually driving/comparing the two, there exist professional reviews in which automotive journalists laud the 5 over Rondo. Many where they "by the way" mention the Rondo as another alternative to the 5, but the 5 remains their first choice in this very limited genre. I guess Edmunds is just gonna have to do a comparison test between the two and it'll settle it. :blush:

Alright, Karen, end of subject for me. I was under the impression that in a Mazda5 VS. Kia Rondo forum a Mazda 5 owner would actually be able to express his opinions as to why the 5 is better than a Rondo. Would make sense. Otherwise, why even have such a forum? Why not just have Rondo specific forums and Mazda 5 specific forums and leave it at that? Why even have a VS forum where opposing views aren't allowed? I digress.
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    Nissmazlover states" Just because you bought the Rondo and it fits your criteria and you consider it better for you, it doesn't automatically make it a better car than the 5. It just isn't, and you can't accept it. OF COURSE you think the Rondo is a better car for YOU. YOU made the decision to buy it! It still doesn't change the fact that, in general, the 5 is a better car. Period. "

Good Lord, the M5 is a better car than the Rondo? Yes, I bought it and yes, it is a better car for me. But the M5 is NOT a better car than the Rondo.

You, sir, are not using reasoning. I am not absolutely sure that you know what reasoning is! You are simply shouting down those of us who have a differing opinion than you.

Tell me, empirically, how the M5 is a better car than the Rondo. Don't give us your opinions about how you feel it rides, drives, etc. That's your opinion, not reasoning.

Who gave you the ability to decide what is better and what is not? I don't hear any other M5 owners ranting about how other cars are lesser vehicles. I take your point about 80's Excels vs Corollas, but I had a 1991 Civic Si that was the worst car I have ever owned. Absolute garbage.

Nissmazlover states "Better car than the M5? Definitely not, regardless of your criteria or preference." Hmm, regardless of my criteria or preference? But obviously not regardless of yours, eh?

As for Rondo vs M5, you cannot empirically say the Rondo is better or the M5 is better. They are too close in all respects.

Anyway, KarenS, I give up on trying to talk sense with this fellow, as I am only going to be shouted down again. My points were simply that the Rondo is a better choice for some people and that the M5 is a better choice for some people, and then this egomaniac called Nissmazlover tries to shove HIS opinions down our throats without a care for OUR opinions. And he has the gall to complain that his opinions are not being heard? Egad.

Yes, let's gets back to sane, sensible discussions about the vehicles, not how some of us are delusional for buying a solid, sensible, economical and enjoyable car to meet our needs. God, how could we ever actually do something stupid like that?
    The replies and the opinions get longer and longer, The interweb is funny... :D
  • andydicoandydico Member Posts: 12
    ;) I Love my 07 Mazda5... Enough said! hehe
    This video summarizes well it seems. The Rondo is also mentioned at the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFxPV7hc4Tw

Note: I do believe there is a mistake. 2008 comes with 5AT, not 4AT
  • mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    this used to be a helpful thread.
  • bunchakidsbunchakids Member Posts: 6
    so, coolmazda5. I am glad you are proud of your 2 Mazda 5's. I would need to buy both of them and drive separately to get my kids somewhere. And FYI, the Mazda5 tail lights and design IS a horrible designed idea. It looks like something a 17 year old would do to modify their pickup truck. Clear, oversized, attention getting lights.

Don't bang your head, everyone has the right to have the wrong opinion on cars. You just appear to have made that choice twice!

(Lighten up, its just a forum)
    One last favor to all of the Mazda5 lovers. Please remember you own a Mazda5.
    It is a wonderful vehicle. But the following is an M5, not your Mazda5.

Please don't insult the pedigree, beauty, and performance of such a machine stealing its name.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2008/M/M5Sedan/default.aspx
    unbelievable :D

bunchakids replies sent to the ignore posts section...

Agreed, this used to be an interesting thread, I hope more factual opinions eventually come back in the future (and some pics too)...
    "I would need to buy both of them and drive separately to get my kids somewhere."

Are they children or sardines? Poor little guys.
    They actually love the Rondo. The twins sit in back and have plenty of room, and love the folding seats and cupholders.

The car is actually quite convenient, I am surprised about one thing... I'm only getting mid twenties in MPG. Anyone have experience on how long break in should be?

Thanks. (time to be serious and not tease the Mazda guys... they get sensitive.
    thats the problem with this forum, you don't get the persons location or what they drive with each posting.

Glad to hear you enjoy your Rondo, I do too.

with regards to your question: "I'm only getting mid twenties in MPG. Anyone have experience on how long break in should be? "

to more accurately answer this we need to know where you are located (are we talking US gallons or imperial gallons) and also what size of engine you have.

2008 Rondo EX, 2.4L, 5-seater
    Ontario, Canada

(this info should post automatically with each post)
    The sensitive Mazda guys don't wanna discuss MPGs of yippity-yuppity Rondos on this thread either, so look what I found:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f11970b
    Seriously though, do you really haul a wife and 5 children in your Rondo?
    Yes, we sure do. They fit easily, enjoy the ride, etc. We are putting in a video player this weekend, and can haul about 8 bags of groceries if it is full of kids.
    But who wants to shop with 5 kids.

Its a very versatile car.
    Kudos to you if that works. I have 4 kids (8-14) and my Mazda5 just got too tight. Yes, there was seating space for all, but little room for anything else.
  • radar1radar1 Member Posts: 25
    Today's Wall Street Journal reports sales are higher for the Mazda5 and Rondo. Seems like high gas prices are making these more popular as a replacement for larger vehicles.
    "A few vehicles that were once considered strange -- such as those that combine elements of minivan and car -- are enjoying a sales renaissance. Examples of models that have suddenly surged in popularity include the van-like Mazda5, up 46%, and tall wagons like Hyundai Motor Co.'s Kia Rondo, which more than doubled, and the Toyota Matrix, up 56%."

John
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to throw my two cents in... I do not own either the 5 or the Rondo but a Kia Sedona which I love, really is a great mini van and has mucho power. Anyway, my brother has the 5 and I helped someone else purchase the 5 as well. I have to give props to the 5 for being a good car. Fuel economy was a little disappointing. I rented the Ronda a little while back and it was a nice car as well. The suspension was sporty, maybe not quite as much as the five but sporty enough. The Rondo's seats are more comfortable in my opinion and probably a safer car. I know my Sedona is rated as the safest minivan.

Kia has made huge leaps in quality and as a manufacture they offer the most amount of features for the money. I would not have purchased a vehicle from them a few years back but they are striving for market share and the bar is high for them. If anything the top two have been slipping in quality on some of their products. Manufactures can get lazy at the top. I believe either way the 5 and the Rodo are good choices just depends on what features a person wants. I was looking at both of them but they were just way to small for my needs. Plus have a 3.8 and pumps 253 lbs of torque is quite nice. I still average 18 / 25 mpg which is impressive for the size of the engine. My point is a 2.4 should be getting much better MPG with technology the way it is... Now yes a Kia does depreciate more then other vehicles but this often balances out in the money you save initially. I know for me there was a 6 - 10 grand difference between the Japanese vans. Plus, if you plan on keeping your vehicle for some time then depreciation is not a factor and the long warranty is a major plus. Kia is making some really good products these days. Don't believe me? Trying checking out consumer reports and see how many models they recommend.
    Good stuff, glad to see a happy big Rondo brother owner. Several of my neighbors have Sedonas, so it should be a good bet. To me, as I said before, it is still a KIA. (and I agree with the consumer reports you talk about, but still...). Many people here will argue, well you own a Mazda, and they are right, not a BMW, but good and original enough :D

You are posting good KIA brand information in your post response so no issues there, but I have only one disagreement in the following comment: "the Rondo is probably a safer car". I'm not sure what are the basis for that conclusion, but below here are some reasons why I think is not the case:

EuroNCAP Rondo:
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/kia_carens_2007/291.aspx

EuroNCAP Mazda5:
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/mazda_5_2005/241.aspx

Mazda5 Wins Highest Crash Safety Rating from EU and Japanese New Car Testing Agencies:
    http://www.japancorp.net/Article.asp?Art_ID=12380

And here is what a forum member (mfuchs2004, who is not a Mazda5 owner) replied some time ago:

I have an extensive background in industrial safety, with a focus on chemical safety. Here are some points to ponder -

1. Mazda 5 is a very safe car on crash tests for adults:

NHTSA has a matrix for testing car safety that looks at a variety of factors. One of the most significant factors that may cause a vehicle NOT to be tested is that it has recently rec'd high scores on the Euro and Japanese tests (and the vehicle is structurally the same model). Doesn't mean it won't ever be tested, but it drops way down the waiting list. I think this is good gov't policy, and puts untested cars through the system sooner than might otherwise be the case.

2. Mazda 5 is very safe for children in appropriate restraints:

I agree that the lower child rating on the Euro test is procedural NOT the result of inadequate protection. The Euro test automatically deducts safety points for lack of clear labels, poorly marked electrical connections, etc. The wisdom seems clear - if things are poorly marked, then parents could incorrectly install safety seats, and technicians could inadvertently disconnect air bag sensors.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Good info coolmazda5. I may stand corrected though from the stats they are so close I would concede the difference is negligible. I put the word probably in there because I did not know for sure. Anyway, I know many will not even test drive a make because of the name of the manufacture. Honestly, if you asked me a few years ago what auto maker I would probably never purchase from it would have been Hyundai / Kia. I did not have high hopes when I went to test drive my van but it was such a pleasure to drive and so comfortable I could not say no. If you get a chance take a look at the Odyssey forum and look at all the transmission problems people are having.

I am glad auto manufactures are getting it together and building much better cars on a whole. Even Ford and GM have some good models now which is amazing. Again, I really have nothing bad to say about the 5, it is a great car. I know my brother loves his. Don't you hate the tire life on those 17" rims. Look good but show me a tire that will last 30K... You know the funny thing is how many people will line up at the light against the big minivan and get burned.... lol I love it. Of course this is without my family inside....

Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-bLgPC69Hk
    Wrt. the tires, I've read several complaints on the OEM 17in tires (Toyos Proxes) and I can say that they are not the best, but I check PSIs and rotate regularly and on the 06 (purchased in July 05) the tires are still around 1/2-2/3 of life. I admit, not put many miles a year but I'm sure I will change them not due to the worn tread, but due to their age as tires lose quality after some years...

As per minivans kicking butt, I'm no longer into racing mine (nor does my wife, that is for sure), but people movers rock, check this out. That one really burns, so stay out of the way :D

• nycdriver1nycdriver1 Member Posts: 3
    Honda and Nissan owner here, so no vested interested in either a Kia or a Mazda. Even so, my brother owns a Mazda 5 ('08 Navy Blue Grand Touring) and that is one BAD car! Like bad as in REALLY good. The thing never ceases to impress me! I drive his 5 at any chance I get. Good thing he knows I like it, so he lets me drive it anytime I'm around. Recently went on a road trip with him, his wife and my wife, and all 4 of us were impressed with the car - peppy performance, great handling, brakes, seats, leather, sound system, cool and useful features everywhere, good looking, great mileage and more. Never thought of owning a Mazda before but I'm seriously considering trading in my wife's 07 CRV for the 5. It's that good!

On the other hand, my cousin owns a new 2008 Kia Rondo EX. He loved my brother's car, and wanted to get something like it but without copying him (self esteem issues). So he went for the Rondo. He likes his car. Overall, he's happy with it. But, he often mentions how my brother's 5 is better, and how he would've loved to have bought that car instead, but just didn't want to seem like a biter (issues). And, we all have to agree. Just like "Nissmazlover" is saying, the 5 is just a better car. There's no denying it. Sorry. :(

The Rondo's an alright car (comfortable, decent engine, nice sound system). But it just doesn't seem as high quality as the 5, or drive as nice, or ride as nice, or look as good, or feel as good, it's not even as economical or have as many features as the 5. Even though it's comfortable and seats one more person, it just doesn't seem as comfortable as the 5 - i love the middle row captain's chairs, and 3 adults in the middle row seat of a Rondo are not comfortable! I love driving my bro's 5, but after driving my coz's Rondo a few times, I wouldn't care about driving it ever again. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it sucks but, to me, there's no comparison - and the Rondo's cheaper price doesn't compensate for it.

Now, the Rondo's alright. If you absolutely need space for 7 and want to pay a few dollars less, then go with the Rondo. If not, then go with the 5. It's just better. Now, don't go jamming down my throat like you did with Nissmazlover (poor guy). Just wanted to add my two cents in. ;)

Can you Mazda 5 guys out there convince me even more into trading in my CRV for the 5? I'd like to hear what you have to say. And, Rondo owners, what is the absolute best deal you've gotten for your cars? Maybe if it's a LOT cheaper, then I'd think about it.
  • radar1radar1 Member Posts: 25
    coolmazda5,
    I've read those safety reports before, and they are interesting, but they measure different things than we do in the USA, so comparing a NHTSA report on a US spec Rondo to EuroNCAP report on a EU spec Mazda could be like comparing apples and oranges.
    I wish the Mazda5 NHTSA ratings were published for comparison purposes to the NHTSA crash ratings for the Rondo.
    Here's an excerpt from the NHTSA FAQ concerning comparing different organization results;
    "Note: Each organization's rating results are generally for vehicles sold in its respective country or region. Vehicle specifications, and therefore crash results, may vary between countries. As such, comparing the rating results for a similarly named vehicle model from different countries should be done with care, as there can be differences in the rating protocols and rating systems as well as the vehicle model itself."

Interestingly, the 2008 Comparison of Insurance costs does compare both vehicles. With 100 being average, Mazda got a 90 (better than average) and Rondo got a 66 (much better than average)(In this test, lower is better meaning that Rondo had collision costs 34% below the average, and Mazda 5 was 10% below the average). While the test does not reflect injury potential, it does reflect what the insurance companies pay out based on historic figures for the two vehicles compared to an industry average.
    Full report here;
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Vehicle%20Safety/Articles/Associa- ted%20Files/2008_Insurance_Costs_Comparison.pdf

John
    I think you already sounded convinced for trading in for a Mazda5 :D, but...

For what is worth, when I bought my 06 Mazda5 I also test drove an 05 CR-V. As you may know during that time the Honda CR-V was also offered with manual transmission, which my wife likes, so we gave it a look. Good looking car, manual transmission, OK engine and great fuel economy but a) it was an SUV and it was too "tall" for wife. In addition, she thought the interior was not as functional as the Mazda5 one so the Mazda5 won over.

My 08, I traded it for a Honda, and I chose a 2nd Mazda5 based on the experience of my wife's car, something not commonly heard of.

Also, there are many reviews out there, but if you like driver-car engagement, this is the one that tells me the most out of a people mover that price:

But the best part about the 5 is how you feel driving it. Sliding doors? Three rows of seats? It's hard to believe that the 5 can carry six people considering the way that it drives. Due to being so low to the ground it has a sporty ride quality, and its well-damped multi-link rear suspension and nicely weighted, agile steering make it a joy to drive. It also corners flatly, and has surprisingly good levels of grip complemented by strong brakes, and that's not just compared to other minivans, that's in general. If you enjoy driving, I've no doubts the Mazda5 will please you.

Source:
    http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Mazda/review/2008-mazda5-gt-road-test/5543/

1) If we are comparing apples to oranges, why the NHTSA has waived the collision testing for the Mazda5 for so long? Why we don't have already tons of Chinese cars running in the US today just because the China collisions test are safe? NHTSA does look after recognized tests globally including E-NCAP and J-NCAP to prioritize their testing, that is for sure. In other words, comparing those tests may be like comparing red apples with green apples instead, they are not the same but they have common guidelines.

2) Collision costs? Mazda collision parts may be more expensive than KIA collision parts in average, but that does not mean one car is safer than the other. Example: Honda Accord 4 door, it has 99, does that mean the car less safe than a Mazda5? :surprise:
  • nycdriver1nycdriver1 Member Posts: 3
    That's a great review! I didn't know the doors had electric assistance. I'm gonna have to check my brother's ride to confirm that.

It really is a nice car. I'm really thinking about getting it. And I love the whole thing the reviewer said about "passion" at the end of the article. It's true: You can't put a price on that. Sadly, that is something the Rondo is sorely lacking. The Rondo's is merely functional. Whereas the 5 is not only functional, but stylish, fun and passionate. I don't understand why someone would pick the former over the latter.
    Hey, CoolMazda5m that is a cool review! Thanks for sharing. I think it's spot on.

Also, nycdriver1, I noticed the same thing about the electric sliding assistance. I know my Mazda 5 Grand Touring doesn't have that, so may be it was an oversight or something on the part of the reviewer. Also, thanks for the vote sympathy in your last posting. I appreciate it!

Like CoolMazda5 said, it doesn't sound like you need much convincing about getting the 5 ;). The only thing I'd worry about, and this isn't my business at all, would be if you'd be upside down on your payments by trading in such a new car for the 5. I mean, part of the appeal of the 5 is that it is so affordable and you feel like you cheated the world or something by buying a car that feels so much more expensive than what it is. Other cars that contain the same things the 5 GT has are so much more expensive. So, the affordability of it all is factored in heavily. Would you still have that if you have to make higher payments than other 5 owners because of the upside down portion of your trade-in? Just something to consider is all. Again, that's your business.

Any Rondo owners out there going to try to convince him to go the Rondo way?
This discussion has been closed.