Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I believe that the Landcruiser, as it is manufactured in Japan, has a significant import tax included in its price. In other words the Sequoia, manufactured in the US, has a significant price advantage. This proce diferential will also be reflected of course in used proces. Most on this website will opine that the price diff is worth it.
  • Options
    gwhigwhi Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 1999 LC yesterday. I am very upset. Did not notice this when I test drove the vehicle. I just hope this is not serious.Please.... Anybody have any ideas on what the clunking could be when shifting into P to R or from R to D or P to D????
  • Options
    cumbycumby Member Posts: 6
    I have been considering purchasing a used 96-98 model LC. I am impressed with what I hear about reliability but Im concerned about the cost of owning one. I would love to get some input on how expensive these trucks are to drive. Does the fact that they rarely need maintenance ( so Ive been told) offset the gas mileage, and other maint costs?
  • Options
    You have hit the nail on the head - the high gas consumption of my LC is more than offset by its low maintenance cost. I have had a 1991 Fj80 from new and have saved a ton on maintnance compared to my other cars during that time. I purchased an extended warranty but never needed it - although my A/C failed right after warranty expiry. Sure its heavy on front brakes but thats hardly a dealbreaker.
  • Options
    steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    You're not providing a lot of details....some sort of change or "clunk" is normal in the shifts you mention..especially if you're on any kind of incline. Without being there to see what you're describing, this sounds like it might be the typical drive shaft clunk as momentum changes. (e.g. if you're pulling in to the garage and you're still moving a bit, you'll get a clunk if you put it in park) Remember, you've got two drive shafts, two differentials and a transfer case, all of which have some travel play in them by design. This type of clunk is common on LCs and can usually be "cured" by lubing the drive shafts at the differential and transfer case ends.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Suggest you get it checked out and see if might not just need to lube your diffs
  • Options
    mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Common issue when the drive shafts have not been lubricated.
  • Options
    niffy37niffy37 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 03 TLC and have found that the doors don't seem to always shut very tightl . About three times a week, there's a door that hasn't been shut tightly and we are big people we close them pretty hard. The dealer said it had to do with the air vent system , but didn't really give me a straight answer. Anybody have this issue , ideas about how to resolve? thanks
  • Options
    Just crack a window or two a bit, then close your door(s).
  • Options
    vichvich Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have overload problems with air suspension...and what is the cure?....to rip our the air bits and put in a whole new suspension (such as Old Man Emu) or to put in "helper" air bags which fit inside the coils?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply-Basically when you back out of the drive way (flat surface)... come to a complete stop (foot firmly on the brake) shift into drive. That is when you get the clunk. Sometimes you notice it.... other times you don't.

The transmission fluid level is fine.

Are you talking about a grease fitting when you mention the drive shaft at the differential and transfer case ends?? If not how do you the drive shaft ??

Thanks again for the info.
  • Options
    albivalbiv Member Posts: 35
    My '03 does this sometimes. When shifting from D to R or vice versa I pause at Neutral for a second and release the brake, not sure if this reduces any kind of drivetrain windup. I notice this clunk more when the car is cold up and the revs are higher. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    yes-there are grease fittings near the "yoke" on each end of each drive shaft. Suggest you crawl under your truck in the rear first to see what they look like. Once you know what to look for, take your grease gun and pump some grease in to the fitting closest to the rear first diff first--go slowly until you just see a small amount come out, then wipe the excess from the fitting. next go to the fitting that leads to the transfer case--BUT, only put about 1 or 2 pumps--if that--into this fitting. You don't want to pump fast and hard and have anything come out from this fitting, and the same goes for the other fitting that leads from the front drive shaft to the transfer case. The reason I suggest you do the rear first is so you get the feel for how to do it and locate the fittings, and the fact that you will need to remove the under engine cover in order to access the front fittings. you will undoubtedly have to move your truck forward or back a bit to gain access to the grease fittings.

I'm pretty sure that a little lube will reduce or pretty much eliminate the clunk you're noticing. And also, this is a "trait" that most LCs have at one time or another. Another thought--while your under your truck you might want to look at the diffs and TCase drain and fill plugs as you might want to chain the oil in these sometime. If you do decide to try that--loosen the fill plug FIRST! you don't want to drain the oil and then find you can't get the fill plug loose to re-fill the diff :)
  • Options
    Thanks SC you have been a great help and I appreciate it !!!
  • Options
    While you're under there checking things, you may also want to check the flange yoke--this is what attaches to each of the differentials and the tcase. Torque specs for the rear to rear and rear to tcase is 78 ft/lbs, the spec for the front to front and front to tcase is 59 ft/lbs. If you get them lubed and double check that they're torqued you'll probably take care of your "problem"

When you get oriented under neath the truck, you'll also see why you only put a small amount of lube in the grease fittings that go in to the tcase. Too much lube and you'll compress the propeller shaft toward the differential end of the shaft.

HTH
  • Options
    peiomipeiomi Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know where I can buy OEM Toyota parts for my LC at a discount?
  • Options
    another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    I've just started noticing that there is a strong vibration in the steering wheel when I apply the brakes (mostly from high speeds). Does this have something to do with the engine speed (less noticeable when slowing down in neutral), or is it just an issue with the alignment? If it is the alignment, has anyone else had this problem? It seems like the alignment on my '00 LC goes out of wack more then any of my other cars.

If I'm just wrong, and this doesn't seem like an alignment problem, any replys will help.
  • Options
    Might be a tire balance problem--when did you have them rotated and balanced last? How are they wearing? Could also be a warped rotor, uneven pad wear.

For parts-try this link http://www.toyotapartsworld.com/ I haven't used them, but you can at least see what their prices are like.

Also, shop your local dealers. Fib a little. Tell them dealer B has the same part for X less, or ask them if they give club disounts.
  • Options
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05223/552395.stm

According to this Wall Street Journal article used SUV prices are down several thousand dollars. Although its the domestic products that are the hardest hit there has to be a spillover effect - now might be the time to buy or trade up for a good but a lot cheaper Landcruiser.
  • Options
    sf_cruisersf_cruiser Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I have a few questions about the bluetooth function and/or the phone dialing capability when vehicle is in motion. I have a 2006 TLC with NAV/Bluetooth.

(1) Does the NAV system enable voice dialing?

(2) Is there a way to circumvent the inability to dial a number or even a 1-touch phone number stored on the NAV when the vehicle is in motion?

(3) If not to the above two questions, how do you cope with the very limited ability to initiate phone calls - - limited to when the vehicle is stopped?!

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Options
    loraoftroyloraoftroy Member Posts: 2
    Newbie here…just bought my first TLC TODAY. I got an 04, certified and loaded, with 37,000 miles for $46,000. Not a great deal but Land Cruisers go for a premium here in Northern Colorado. Whenever my local dealer gets one in trade they are gone within a day or two. I was going to buy an 04 Escalade, which the local dealer let me drive for a few days. I like the looks of the Escalade better, but the quality, resale value, and the X factor of the Land Cruiser were the deciding factors.

I originally came into the Toyota dealership to check out a brand new Sequoia because I had heard such great things about them and drove one around for a few hours but I just didn’t like it. Nothing impressed me about it. So on a whim the salesmen told me to try out the Land Cruiser. The difference was just unbelievable. There was JUST something about that car. I wanted that car from the first 30 seconds I drove it. I had a hard time hiding my excitement from the salesman and I probably didn’t do a very good job of it but I’m sure we were both very happy with the outcome. The interior was beautiful and perfect…even after 37,000 miles. The navigation system was VERY impressive, far superior to the Escalade. The Land Cruiser just feels solid and everything fits like it’s supposed too. I only wish that Toyota had something comparable to On-Star, which I really wanted.

I traded in an 01 Navigator, which was a beautifult car. I know they get a bad rep, but I never had a single problem with it in 4 years. Just decided it was time for a change. Depreciation though, was quite severe.

I really love reading this board. So many owners talking about their LC’s with over 100,000 miles and no problems. Makes me think I made the right choice. My dealer had a brand new 06 on the lot. MSRP was $64,000. I couldn’t see much difference between mine and the 06 except for a bigger engine, which I can live without.
  • Options
    peiomipeiomi Member Posts: 20
    loraoftroy-
    I too felt the same way you did when I drove a LC. I originally went in to drive and look at a loaded 4 runner and was not impressed the way it drove. They had a new 06 LC that I asked to drive, I was HOOKED! It is like nothing else that I have driven. I traded in my 04 Touareg V8 :lemon: that was nothing but trouble for a certified used 04 LC with 13,000 miles. I could not be happier, I would have liked the extra power of the 06 but not enough to justify the $$$$$. Good luck with yours!
  • Options
    twisterchasertwisterchaser Member Posts: 26
    As the owner of a 2001 L.C. with nav. I have one major complaint...Why in the world doesn't this thing have a trip computer?? Do the newer models have one? If so, would putting in a newer nav. disc have that feature? Unbelievable!!
  • Options
    Lately I have noticed an annoying squeak coming from somewhere in the dash area. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what is the best route to getting it corrected? Thanks for any help...
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean by a trip computer--if you check thru the manual you'll see how to "program" for average speed etc. The screen will display time and distance to destination based on these inputs. There are also two trip odometers--reset button is in the speedo/tach instrument cluster. Additionally, there's a detour feature and you can optimize your route based on your preferences for shortest distance, max freeway, no freeway etc, etc. If you hit the info button, you can program in all sorts of reminders for maintenance too

AFAIK, the '01 Nav doesn't compute mpg, etc

Don't know if this is of help or not, but the Nav package does have a lot of features
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the supercharger for the 4.7 V8 L.C. is still available? It is not listed in the 2005 TRD catalog. Has anyone had one installed on their cruiser?
  • Options
    The average mpg, distance to empty, etc..was what I was mainly interested in. Thanks...
  • Options
    This has been discussed before--do a search on the board. What year is your LC? Mileage?
  • Options
    2001 L.C. w/ 55K.
  • Options
    Here's a link to at least some of the posts about dash noises.

http://tinyurl.com/b4uhk

WRT trip computer with the Nav system--I believe the newer ones (perhaps beginning in '03?) have that feature. My mother's LS 430 (an '05) has it as part of her Nav system.

A far less technical method of gauging your mpgs and distance is to look at the fuel gauge--once you get below half it starts falling faster than it does from full to half full--guess that means the fuel gauge is both an optimist and a pessimist?
  • Options
    So we are approaching $ 75 for a full tank now..........
  • Options
    So as I stood there watching the numbers on the pump display.....
    $10, that was fast
    $20, that's nothing new
    $30, humm..I remember paying this much for a full tank 4 years ago :)
    $40, this was almost normal now
    $50, wow......I've never gone past 50 before :cry:
    $60, so....is Toyota thinking about sticking a hybrid in a LC?
    $62.34, FINALLY IT STOPPED!!
    At least I'm not paying $75....yet ;)
    But on the up side, I almost got a average of 15mpg on the last tank :D
  • Options
    I sure this has been discussed, if so.... my apologies.

Is there any way of getting around $$$250.00 plus for a spare key. Called a couple of dealerships and thats they quoted me.

Thanks for any advice
  • Options
    mexplorermexplorer Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum. I bought my 93 LC as a new vehicle and it has never let me down. I have almost 200,000 miles on it and the only repairs required have been to one power window until now. Both front power seats will not move either forward or backward. The electric motors work because the seats try to move but only on one side of each seat. One side of each seat does not move and therefore the seats are stuck. I can't find either a fuse or a breaker for the power seats. Does anyone have suggestions or a solution?
  • Options
    I'm assuming you're talking about the intergrated keys.....
    There are some uncut keys avaliable on Ebay. All you have to do is get it cut, and then programed. In most cases, the keys will cost around $100 or less shipped, and may or may not include programing instructions, so you can program the transmitter yourself.
  • Options
    batmoblbatmobl Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into purchasing a LC. A dealer has a fully loaded 2004 LC with 16.7k miles and they are asking $46.5 for it. I know because of the gas prices, the Suvs are not fetching top dollar. On top of that the 06 LCs are out too. Do you think it is worth buying a 2004 LC with 16.7k miles and if yes, how much should I offer? TIA
  • Options
    teejetteejet Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery yesterday of an 04 TLC with 23,000 miles. Loving it for sure after 36 hours of bliss. However, I could swear that the vehicle had a rear view mirror digital compass yesterday, but today it is absent. The manual says I can turn it on or off by holding the "Auto" button for 3 seconds, but no luck with that either. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    they are asking $46.5

That's about the cost of a tank of gas - what are you waiting for?? ;)

tidester, host
  • Options
    flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Does the LC have navigation - if so, I think the rear view mirror does not include a compass - have to use navigation screen.
  • Options
    batmoblbatmobl Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I meant $46,500 :) .
  • Options
    teejetteejet Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it does have Nav but I could swear it had the compass in the mirror when I picked it up. If it isn't there then that is fine. I may have remembered it from when I test drove other vehicles. I just want to be sure everything is working as designed.

BTW, my M45 and A$ both have a compass even though they each have Navigation. Yes, both are completely redundant.

Thanks!
  • Options
    flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    I think I remember seeing a blurb in the fine print of the LC brochure indicating no compass in mirror for those models including navigation. Try looking at the '06 brochure or your owners manual.
  • Options
    tim5660tim5660 Member Posts: 4
    What should I look for when purchasing a 93 Land Cruiser? The vehicle is in Florida with 168,000 miles. 2 owners, dealer serviced, and in average cond overall. I'm told oil changes and regular maint are up to date. Timing belt was done at 125k, when will that need to be addressed again? Any feedback is appriciated.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to hear from consumers who have recently had trouble selling their gas-guzzlers for a decent price. If you have a story to share, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info, city/state of residence and the make/model in question no later than Monday, August 29, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    canyoneercanyoneer Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info. I'm about to buy a '94 that doesn't have the optional lockers. It's a great deal, and I'm not going to go in real punishing country, but is that center-diff lock good for ANYTHING? I'd like to feel pretty confident in sand.

Arthur
  • Options
    steenh1steenh1 Member Posts: 28
    I don't think a 93 has a timing belt... believe it's a timing chain that should not ever need changing. My 97 has a chain. 98+ has timing belts.
  • Options
    Just saw an allegation on an archived thread that TLC's use high-test gas. Is this true of all of them? I'm about to buy a '94 with a six in it, and I just assumed it would take "unleaded."
  • Options
    87...........period. :blush:
  • Options
    landcruisinlandcruisin Member Posts: 4
    I just got a call from the local dealer service center telling me I need to have my front wheel bearings repacked and the seals replaced on my 97 LC w/ 139,000 miles. Just bought it less than 3 months ago. They quoted me $875 but he warned me that was only if there was "no other damage once we open it up.". Can anyone tell me if that sounds high and if so can anyone recommend an indie mechanic in the Worcester, MA. area? Thanks.
  • Options
    smokyhikersmokyhiker Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to replace the floor mats with factory floor mats and some of the wood grain areas. Does anyone have any ideas of cost? Is replacing the wood grain difficult?

PS...My trip computer resets every time I turn off the engine?? My overall mileage is correct but the trip starts over every time I take the key out. Any Clues??

Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    Jeez, I'd do seals and bearings all day for half that price -- and I quit doing that kind of stuff awhile back because it just wasn't fun any more. Once they've got the wheels off, it shouldn't take the mechanic more than 10 minutes apiece. Wish I could refer you to a good independent, but I don't know that neck of the woods. I would ask them why they think the work needs doing. If there's no grinding sound from the bearings when you rotate the wheel (up off the ground) and there's no grease leaking out onto the wheel, you're probably OK, and could wait until you get front brakes.