Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Acura TL

starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
Maybe Acura will also make the backseat fold down, make the telescoping wheel automatic, and put in rain sensetive wipers? Also a push start would not hurt either.

Comments

• autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Hey is that the ELLPS part we're finally talking about now?? ;)

Add:
    *heated/cooled seats up front
    *keyless go with out the slot (like Lexus not bmw), *optional heated rear seats
    *6speed auto
    *10way power driver
    *6-8way power passenger
    *Reclining rear seats like Camry XLE
    *Ac Glovebox

And if the TL does happen stay FWD, a flat rear floor (No tranny tunnel) would be nice!

-Cj
  • sazmitty312sazmitty312 Member Posts: 19
    i would definitely add the rain sensing wipers, keyless entry (even the new base 07 altima has it standard), 10-way drivers seat and 8-way for the passenger (even my 02 Camry XLE has both of them) and a flat rear floor (i donno why they have it if its not a RWD?). ]

i don't care about the front cooled seats, rear heated seats, and AC glovebox because almost none of its competition has it.

but then again, honda just freshened the TL for 07', so there would be no point of adding all these features for 08'. i would rather add them on its complete redesign for 09 model.
    :( I sad to hear about the redesign. I like the current one sooo much!!

Hey, acura could be the 1st in the class with an AC glovebox! The 3series has it but not sure about the 5...

Only lexus, lincoln, and infiniti have the cooled seat. I like em! We have them on our expedition. They're great for hot climates.

I think Audi is the only manufacturer to uses heated rear seats in a sedan...
    -Cj
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    On the topic of keyless ignition, they should go all the way and offer the 2-way communication such as on the new Volvo S80! :shades:
  • sazmitty312sazmitty312 Member Posts: 19
    yeah, it'd be a great idea to add the all those features especially the cooled seats since they are great in summer. instead of an AC glovebox, they should add a cooled AND a HEATED one too for the winter to keep your coffee warm or something. heated rear seats would be a good idea for winter and especially if u have a family, but if u are single, then there is no point.

but all those features "would" get the TL an edge over its competitors, but then again, it would kinda surpass the RL in terms of features and the RL's will struggle with its sales!

i like the current design too, but where ever i go, there are 2-4 TL's around me, so i am kinda bored of the design, and again, the REDESIGN'S from BMW, INFINITI, LEXUS, and the upcoming MERCEDES C, and CADILLAC, are going to crush/are crushing the TL and the recent sales show that.

I would in fact advise acura to get the new-gen TL out early next year in spring/summer.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    A cooled compartment for beverages in the summer and a heated one for coffee and cup of noodles in the winter, what's next? I think we are treating our car not only as a living room (stereo, DVD/TV, ventilated sofa-like seats), but also as a kitchen (a fridge, a stove ... add a toaster?). What about also outfitting it with a massaging shiatsu apparatus to soothe our travel weary gluteaus maximus ...?
    Lexus (Ls460) does almost all of that!! The rear right passenger seat reclines with a foot rest! The front seats massage (as in the old LS430). The rear can have a DVD and I think there is a refrigerator between the rear seats and trunk. Sorry, no stove... or toaster... Maybe on the next model... :P

On the next TL, should acura bring on more interior colors? "Taupe, Parchment" and Black aren't doing it for me. I like the old green color with the "Parchment" interior.

Exterior
    Brown
    Light/Powdery Blue
    Dark green or the old green

Interior
    2tone Black & Beige and others
    Black w/red stitching fot Type S
    Red seats
    Brown/ that dark color in the MDX
    Different Woods/wood looks like BMW

I'd Take A White Tl(base) with brown interior, rear lip spoiler, Nav, and panoramic sunroof :shades:

-Cj
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    2008 Acura TL = 2007 Acura TL
    Maybe a new color.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Seems like we just bought the 2006 TL in June times goes by fast - but this makes me feel like I have a 2 year old car!
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I have an 05 and it is a 2 year old car! :P
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Only lexus, lincoln, and infiniti have the cooled seat. I like em! We have them on our expedition. They're great for hot climates

Don't forget the 08' CTS ;)

Rocky

P.S. Saab has cooled gloveboxes also as they were the first car company to have both ventilated seats and colled glove boxes ;)
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    Who cares about cooled glove boxes? What am I cooling? My owner's manual, spare insurance card, and a map? Seriously, how would or do those of you out there use it? Do you put cans of diet coke in there to keep them cool for road trips? I can't imagine it'd cool them down to a drinkable temp. Maybe a protein or candy bar to keep it from melting? That, to me, seems like an overated feature. Also, just curious, for those of you with keyless ignition...is it really all that? I've been looking at new cars lately for my fiance and we've tested a few that had it and I didn't really see the point. The key never bothers me when it's in the ignition and it's one less thing to stuff in my pockets when I'm driving.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I agree with your comment on the glove-boxes.

Now, I've never had keyless entry, but I'd love to have it on my next car. :) When you ask "what's the big deal," it's like someone asking why we need a key FOB - "What's so hard about putting your key in the hole and opening the door/trunk?" :mad:

Of course it's not a big deal, but it'd be nice to be able to leave te key in my pocket and just open the door, especially if I've got stuff in my hands or wearing a long coat with my keys in my pants pocket.

In my mind, if it's the kind of system where you can leave the key in your pocket the whole time, then it's great. If it's one of those where you still need to insert a key (or a fob) into the car, but just don't have to turn it, then I don't see the point. :confuse:
    tax, I see your point about the keyless entry. Now, that I think about it that would be a nice feature. The trouble for me though is I usually have stuff in my hands after I've driven somewhere and I'm unloading it. If they could come up with a way for the car to lock automatcally, like a voice command, without needing the key fob that'd be great. That's where that feature would help me a lot.
  • ckollckoll Member Posts: 8
    I am a long time Acura owner. I'm trying milk out another 2 years on my 2000 TL before I buy my next car. I like the design of the current TL Generation. When is the next TL Generation rolling out?

I initially heard it was for the 2008 Model Year but now I seems to be the 2009 Model Year. Can anyone enlighten me on what is formally known or speculated on this?

Thanks
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    The next generation (4G) will show up sometime in 2008 as a 2009 midel.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Well, all the new technolgies seem to help us, but they also seem to help car thieves too! With keyless ignition start (ie. push button), I wonder whether it makes it easier for car thieves to start your car, as soon as they get into it by stealing (intercepting) your remote key code. See link. http://www.leftlanenews.com/gone-in-20-minutes-using-laptops-to-steal-cars.html
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I dont see the need for push button start either, just something else to break.
    If I remember correctly my day had push button start on his 1952 dodge, we also had pushbutton transmission on a 58
    Plymouth Fury. Old Mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Will there be a 2008 model? Sounds like maybe we should change the name of this discussion.
    pat,

There will be a 2008 model. IMHO, I really don't think there are going to be any major changes since the 2007 was a MMC.
    But, the 2009 model (4G TL) will show up sometime in 2008.
    gg, what's MMC? Also, and this may not apply here but while I'm asking, I see WOT a lot on here. What does that mean too?
    hauss,

MMC means "mid model change." WOT means "wide open throttle."

;)
    Thanks!
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    Any idea when Acura will bring the TL out in AWD like the RL or the Infinity G35? Thanks
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Here is the sequence of event for the 2009 TL
    1) Rumors starts to spread in the fall of 07
    2)Acura debuts the car at the NY AUTO show in the Sprig of 2008
    3).The car goes on sale in the fall of 08 as a 2009 model.

If you followed Acura trend this has always been the case.
  • eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    Don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Acura website has now renamed the TL section as the 2008 TL. As far as I can see, there is no difference from when the model was called the 2007 TL.

For 2009 it would be good if there were more positions for the passenger seat, extensions for the sunvisors, compass in the rearview mirror (even on navigation models) and options for a rear window sunshade, folding rear seat and SH-AWD.

Also, on none "S" models, some chrome trim around the windows would help brighten the car. Just my opinion. Oviously, one could wish for more but then the car just becomes another RL.
  • harryh3harryh3 Member Posts: 3
    At my Acura dealer today. 2008 in stock, 2009 a mid year 2008 intro.
    I like GM's and toyota's versions of the rear view camera. GM is going to start mounting them as an extension of the Review mirror, and Toyota is offering a separate screen for it even on non Nav models. I think its a standard feature on all but the base models.

Acura can make something along this lines but I'd rather keep the current TL's rearview monitor and add other luxury features like Push Button Start/keyless go(come on, its on the 14k versa.... Borrow it from the S2k!), cooled seats/glovebox/armrest, and sunshades.

I think the passat is a competitor to the TL now because it offers strong performance(280hp), equal or more features, similar space, and similar MPG.

-Cj
  • benjb53benjb53 Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased my 2007 Acura Tl/ Navi. in December 2006....how is it that seven months later my car is being outdated??????? I have to start leasing!!!
    And now they make White/Navi with Parchment interior...I am pissed!!!

:confuse:
    I don't think you have to worry about your car being outdated. From what I can tell, there are only minor, minor changes for the 2008. They all seem to do with color...inside and out.

I do believe they renamed carbon grey pearl to polished metal metallic. Looks the same to me. You know what they say, a rose by any other name.....
  • benjb53benjb53 Member Posts: 14
    What are the changes besides color? Anybody know yet? I am debating on trading my 2007 in for a new 2009 if its that much better!!! :confuse:
    I fear for how the next TL will look. The current car has the perfect image IMO. Its so appealing to the eye. So emotional... Acura hit that perfect line between the sport and luxury better than BMW(sport) or mercedes(luxury).

Still haven't come close to the answer of my TL vs TSX thing. IMO the TL's stats are so similar to my current car its scary.

Accord v6 vs TSX vS TL
    170hp vs 205hp vs 258hp
    164lb ft vs 165lb ft vs 233lb ft
    13cuft in all (< with navi)
    19/25 vs 21/32 vs 21/29 all AT

My biggest gripe on the TSX is gearing and overall space and the TL is the non-folding rear seat and mpg (offered on tsx and accord)

It really is hard to choose between 3cars from the same overall company. All the specs are so similar...

-Cj :cry:
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    All the specs are so similar...

Are you drunk? What, pray tell, is so similar about the specs you are quoting? Assuming they are correct, the TL has 50% more horsepower than the Accord, 25% more than the TSX and 45% more torque than either.

And, once again, find yourself a beater car with a manual transmission (or better yet a friend with one you can borrow), and LEARN HOW TO DRIVE A STICK. It's an embarassment that someone your age, obviously interested in cars, is looking only at slushboxes. My 9 year old daughter knows better.
    My ;) is missing from the last post. Don't take the "are you drunk?" question seriously. But please do give consideration to learning to drive a stick. The difference between the TL 6-speed and automatic is well worth it. ;)
    Sorry typo!! :blush: The TSX's stats are tooo similar to my current 95 accord. Thats the pro and the con.

PRO
    I wont have to make big adjustments

CON
    Everything else is the same.

I threw the TL in because I love the way it looks in the deep green pearl! But with driving vehicles topping 170hp. I dislike the TLs step down in MPG but thats till a step up from my accord(cant tell you the average since the odometer retired from duty) Can you tell me about the TL because these reviews online dont help much. They all seem to say the same things. I want to hear about the TL and TSX and how they are everyday.

Mainly I want an auto because I live in miami and it is congested about 60% of the time and it lots of red lights on all the alternate routes.

HEY BUB! I CAN DRIVE A STICK A BIT!! I just need more practice. Can I practice with your 6MT? ;) MT cars are hard to come by in miami. I'm thinking about getting an old tercel or corolla and giving it to my dad for MPG in the future.

My entire household has a 4AT: My accord, sis's millenia, moms miata, bros corolla, dads expy's. Moms old sportage was a MT and thats how i was learning. I moved it into the gate and around a parking lot and it only cut off twice but that twice to many as I see it.

-Cj
    "Can you tell me about the TL because these reviews online dont help much."

No matter whose reviews you read, there is nothing like getting your butt in the seat(s) of all of the cars you are considering and taking lenghty test drives of each.

FWIW, the TL 6-speed was my choice in 2004 because it offered the best balance of attributes - lots of amenities, high quality fit and finish, ability to carry my family of 4 comfortably and, with the 6-speed (including Brembo brakes & stiffer suspension), a sporty drive. Now for 2007/8 you need to go up to the TL-S to get a 6-speed. I would not be a TL (TL-S) buyer today. The extra $ to get the TL-S is not as good of a value, IMO. And I'm simply not a fan of automatic transmissions period, but especially Acura automatic transmissions.

As far as learning to drive a stick and using "congestion" as an excuse for an automatic - do what's right for you. But the DC area traffic is worse than Miami's and neither my wife nor I would own an automatic, given the choice of a manual (no choice in our MDX). Again, the 6-speed gearbox in my TL is one of its best features. I have never sat in even the worst of traffic wishing I had gotten a slushbox.

I can't really comment on the TSX, as I've only ever driven one briefly as a loaner and it was - you guessed it - a slushbox. Honda engines scream (literally and figuratively) for a manual transmission. One thing I would mention is that, back in 1994, on a tight budget, I debated between a Nissan Maxima SE w/ almost no options and a $3k less Altima GXE with more goodies. I went for the 6-cylinder Japan-built Maxima and it was one of the best car decisions I ever made. Still have it with 155k miles and it runs like new. I seriously doubt the US-built 4-cylinder Altima would have fared as well. My lesson from that experience is, buy the better car first and worry about options or amenities second.
    I find it amusing and a little sad that you would belittle someone because they don't know how to drive a stick. One can live a very satifying life without having that ability.

Some of us, who are older, have that ability because, in our day, there were more sticks around to learn on. I am sure that is still the case in more rural areas.

I grew up in New York City then San Francisco and now in southern california. Believe me, driving a stick in those areas is no joy. :(

Like almost everything in life, the more abilities you have the easier life will be. But let's give autoboy a break.

Now, I'll admit,if autoboy planned to do any driving in Europe, he'd be in trouble.
    The TL and TSX I was comparing were both black with nav. Both have great engines and both are great value for the money. I may get the TL, I may get the TSX, who knows. It'll be at least until 2009 before i make the jump.

Actually, That 280hp Passat Sport has my eye too.... And the Jetta TDI... Once, the tC, s40, and MDX did too but I moved on. To to cheap(materials not features), to dull(come on, 205hp Turbo I5), and to big respectively. I'm in no rush.

Who knows, I may keep my car longer and get a TL ot TSX when they get diesel engines. 52IMP mpg sounds good to me. But at 6'1, the idea of the MDX's space is entertaining.

I've sat in all the cars I mentioned and all were great. Only drove the tC. Regardless of what I choose, It'll be a step up from my accord. AND NO BASE FEATURELESS MODELS FOR ME!!

-Cj :)
    I find it amusing and a little sad that you would belittle someone because they don't know how to drive a stick. One can live a very satifying life without having that ability.... but let's give autoboy a break.

One can live a very satisfying life driving a Prius hybrid and never even thinking about a sports car, sports sedan or sporty coupe. And good for them and the environment. But I still find it "amusing and a little sad" that anyone looking for a little more vigor in their driving experience would NOT learn how to drive a stick.

As for giving autoboy a break, I hope he knows that I'm just egging him on to do something he might actually thank me for, before he buys that new car in 2009. If he was an "older" person like you or me, I'd have laid off a few posts ago, figuring it was a lost cause. ;)

I grew up in New York City then San Francisco and now in southern california. Believe me, driving a stick in those areas is no joy.

I can "believe" that driving in extremely congested areas isn't a joy, period. But I personally don't find the difference between a manual or automatic transmssion to make such conditions any more or less frustrating. However, given the opportunity to go on a weekend getaway to Napa or Carmel, I'll take a 6-speed stick for the drive, thank you very much. I guess we are both lost causes. Or too old to change. ;)
    I just want to chime in that I also don't notice a big diff between the AT and MT in traffic conditions. To be specific, if traffic is going between 0 and 30 with quick stops, then the MT is a pain, but most of the time, the diff btn keeping my left foot on the clutch or my right on the brake is no big deal.

In fact, as long as we're moving - say bouncing between 3 mph & 15, I prefer the stick b/c you can control how quickly you "coast" by keeping the car in 1st or 2nd, but in an AT, you'd have to ride the brake.

It is true I have not experienced the "mean streets" of NYC, but I've driven in Central Jersey, that has heavy traffic, Miami, that has heavy traffic, and Boca Raton - and believe me, nothing's worse than a road loaded with drivers who are too old to be driving or on vacation and don't know where they're going!!!! Traffic gets real heavy there in the winter months. My current location - Tampa, FL, isn't so bad traffic-wise, but it has its moments.

My dad was a sport car nut - always had a Porsche or a vette or a ferrarri in the garage, but who wants to teach their son to drive stick on their brand new Porsche?!? Thank goodness my wife's parents believed in MTs, so she could teach me on her early '90s Mazda MX6 while we were dating. Changed my life (for the better)!!!
  • ilrndudeilrndude Member Posts: 14
    I noticed the 08 TL has a transmission of Japanese origin whereas the 07 TL has a transmission of American origin. Does anyone know why the switch for the 08s? (I am refering to TLs with AT.)

I'm considering buying an Acura TL for the first time.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    I can keep my automatic in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th as the circumstance warrants, and I don't have to feather the clutch to keep rolling smoothly in heavy slow traffic.
    Feathering a clutch in traffic is a lot less stressful for me than it would be to have to experience a permanant bucket of slush in an automatic transmission. And getting a 2007 TL automatic loaner for 4 hours while my car was in for inspection and service last week reinforced that position. It is unfortunate, IMO, that the automatic transmission remains one of Acura's weak links (compared to say BMW). On the other hand, Honda's (S2000) and Acura's (TL) manual transmissions and gearboxes are highly commendable.

So, paddle shift away, but I'll take the occasional feathering any day. As would my wife if we could ever figure out a way to retrofit a 6-speed manual into our MDX.
    In circumstances where I have to feather the clutch, you'd have to feather the brake.

In the hopes of being able to get the last word in on this ;) I just want to comment that the point of my post is not to argue about which is easier to drive, but just to say that MTs are not as troublesome in traffic as people like to think. :shades:
    I have driven manual and automatic in heavy traffic. In heavy, slow (city) traffic with a manual, I have to feather the clutch, throttle, and brake to keep from tapping the bumper in front of me.
    "throttle"? :blush: Clutch by itself works fine for me in slow traffic. I do cover the brake, of course.

The only thing annoying about manuals in slow traffic is if the traffic is bouncing between 2 gears.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Feathering a clutch in traffic is no big deal.... until that traffic becomes several miles of crap which only allows very slight movements forward, for hours on end.
    Then, the clutch leg gets quite tired.

I miss my manual and wish my G35x offered it. :(
    The throttle is the pedal to the right of the brake. Unless your idle rpm is set way too high, I doubt very much that you don't use it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The only thing annoying about manuals in slow traffic is if the traffic is bouncing between 2 gears.

That's exactly what made me reluctantly give up manual trannys several years ago - the commute crawl was just too much. :cry:
  • sportbikenut2sportbikenut2 Member Posts: 2
    Polished metal metallic is a new color for 2008. Anyone happn to know what the paint code is? Thanks.