Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona Strut Issues

grumpyguycdngrumpyguycdn Member Posts: 31
Has anyone had the front struts replaced on their Sedona? I have a knocking coming from mine over small road imperfections only (it doesn't happen over proper bumps such as pot holes). I had heard it in new Sedona's during test drives and the service manager has confirmed that they all do it and that it isn't unsafe. Regardless the dealer is willing to change them for me. So, has anyone done this and has it made a difference? I would hate to do it and then still have the same issue.

Of note is that the owner of the dealership told me that:

1) he has heard they Kia is coming out with a redesigned strut for the Sedona's to remove the noise, and

2) that he has replaced the front struts with after market struts and the knocking was gone.

Thanks for you input.

Rob

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    We haven't replaced struts on our 2002 Sedona (47k miles), but this sounds awfully familiar. Search the Sedona board and the Sedona Problems board for "struts" and you will probably find some prior posts about this subject.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Hello again Sedona owners!

Just passed the 33K mile mark on our 02 Sedona (yes, I know Blue, we don't drive it enough ;) ... hope you are doing well.) The van recently got fixed for the driver seat wiring issue. OEM Hankooks are still in good shape and the interior continues to look almost new - just had it professionally detailed in and out - looks great! The cleaning was a good deal for a charitable silent auction.

Anyway, we did have the windshield crack develop and the seal on the moonroof gave out last summer. Other than those minor annoyances, still a joy to own, except...

I've had it with the front struts. Luckily, I don't drive it every day, but when I do.... argh! Has anyone else been successful in having this resolved under warranty. I am going to call the dealer today and see what they say, but wanted to ask the collective charter owners.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Hello...do not feel bad...we only have about 28,000 on our '02 Sedona! I was wondering exactly what the seat wiring recall consisted of...I supposedly had this done and when I looked under the seats a few weeks later it appeared as though everything was the same. I did not see anything different. Is there some new shielding/braiding that can be seen? Thanks
  • philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    lol time flies. 4 years sure went by quick. 50k on my 02 LX - no major problems so far, just some minor rear seat rattles. still going on original brake pads. just replaced front hankooks, back still look like they have 50%+ life left. have always averaged 21-23 hwy, ~15 city with heavy foot. cheers.
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    Is anybody else having strut problems? I read on the 2006 forum that there is a strut problem. What ever happened to the 2005 & earlier strut problems. I didn't find any tech bulletins on the Kia.com web site. I still think mine are defective, and making noises over small bumps. How do I get the Dealer to address this problem? They have made an adjustment (added larger washers?) to the towers, but it still has the problem! Also said I needed a front end alignment, due to tire wear. Not many pot-holes here in FL. I think it was unnecessary, and due to the struts also! Any Ideas?
  • grumpyguycdngrumpyguycdn Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2005 and I too have the struts problems. Struts changed 3 times, mounts 4 times, torsion bars and stabilizer links too. No effect. What did help (but eventually degraded) was having the dealer torgue the sh#t out of every bolt on the front end.

No solution in site. A real shame because its a great van. No problems in a year and a half, really comfortable, safe and superb for towing.
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    KIA has a TSB on noisey front struts!!!!!! They have new mounts that will get rid of the noise over rough roads??? It`s for 2002-2005 SEDONAS.I had a 2003 sedona and it was very noisey over rough roads at low speeds.(TSB#KT2007020501)GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS WORKS.
    Thanks redptc - I usually check KiaTech site frequently, and just last week looked for something new, but nothing.

How ironic that they came up with a TSB on Monday about the nagging problem of strut noise. I had checked out the Kia forum on another site, and there were many, many complaints about strut noise. Called my Dealer, Daytona Kia, and the service Mag. said he would order the new isolation mounts, and call me when they came in for an appointment. I told him I had printed out the TSB, and would give it to him, but he must have seen it himself.
    I've had my 04 Sedona EX in a couple times for the problem, but each time they would try something, but it never did any good. Now maybe Kia finally realized that there was a problem after-all!! Will let the forum know how it works out.
    As a side note, the other day I tried to bounce the front of my Sedona as a test for shocks/struts like we used to do in years past, --you know, - it should bounce once then stop,--- Well.... I couldn't get the car to move at all, not even a slight bit. Which leads me to wonder if the springs, or even the struts are too strong for the suspension, thus making it feel as if there is a solid connection between the wheel and the body?? I tested a few other Sedona's & had the same result, This has to be the first vehicle that doesn't have any movement up and down that I have ever seen. Try it and see what you get. My EX has just passed 30K.

Boxwrench
    Good luck on the new mounts.I had a 2003 sedona which my sister-in-law has now. I`ll have to tell her about this.I have a 2006 sedona now .Really nice ride.Like us know how this turns out. :)
  • vanpjvanpj Member Posts: 14
    I am having same problem on my 2005 EX. What is TSB? I took mine into dealer and he said that is the way it is supposed to sound. Any help would be appreciated.
    TSB # KT2007020501 :shades: (TECH SERVICE BULLETIN)
  • vanpjvanpj Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for quick response. I'll try to get a copy of TSB from dealer and hopefully get problem resolved. Thanks again.
    Hello! My question concerns coverage for the TSB.
    If your vehicle is beyond the 5 year/60K warranty, does the TSB still get accomplished for free...or must you be in the warranty time frame in order for that to occur? :confuse:
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    TSB means nothing when it comes to waranties, just a published fix to technicians for a common problem. The only way you'll get a free repair is if a re-call was involved for safety reasons.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Are you saying a car which is eigible for warranty repairs would not have TSB problems fixed for free?
    A yes answer means the owner would pay.
    A no answer means the owner would not have to pay.
    Check with your dealer first.A TSB is a guide for the mechanic to go by. :D
    My thinking was that if you were still in the 5 year/60K portion of your warranty and you went to the service manager and spoke of a problem (strut noise, noisy rear A/C expansion valve, alternator, etc...)which is documented by the TSB...then it would be taken care of under the terms of the warranty.

If you were beyond the 5 year/60K...my thinking was that the solution to the problem came out of your pocket.

I had no idea if this thinking was correct, however...which is why I posted the original question.
    Minivanfrank,

If you read KIA's wording in the TSB KT2007020501, at the end it gives the cost codes for warranty work. I called my dealer, and they have the parts on order. I'll let you know how it comes out.... and if it really fixes the strut problem.

Boxwrench
    Thanks for the info. I am going to look into this also when it warms up around here!!! (and before my warranty runs out in October).
    Took my 04 Sedona to Daytona Kia today for the strut FIX, along with 30k service. It seems to be FIXED!! No more annoying Bonk/Thump at slow speeds. The Svc Mgr had the TSB printed out and included on the repair write-up. So now we will see how long these new strut mounts work before the noise comes back.
    I did notice as I was driving home that I don't seem to feel all the suttle road bumps at high speed that I used to before the FIX. This is a good thing! It is as if there are softer springs now soaking up some of the thump, thump that you have at high speeds. A different kind of thump than at slow speeds. Time will tell if it is really fixed!

Now - to the bad news! The 30k service here in Daytona was pegged at $379 plus tax - quite a steep price for the few things that are done. I only had it done at Kia for the warrenty especially for the Transmission. Thinking there would be a complete power flush of the transmission fluid, I soon came to realize that only 3 quarts of fluid were used. After questioning the Svc Mgr, he said only a drain and fill of the trans was required for warrenty purposes- thus 3 quarts.

Heck, I could have done that myself for much less. That will be the last time I go back to Kia for anything but Warrenty work. It is really a rip off. Total parts used in the 30k svc came to $74 - plus $27 of shop materials!! What a joke. By the time it was all figured up, it was $404.30!!

To me it was worth about $100 in real value, and that is a high estimate. I have always worked with the same Svc Mgr, and they have addressed all my problems in a timely fashion, and I am satified with their service. But at a unusually high cost.
    My opinion - find a good independent garage/mechanic, and have all your routine maintenance done with them at a fraction of the dealer cost! I used to do all my own maintenance, but I'm getting to old and lazy to do it anymore.

Boxwrench
  • joancjoanc Member Posts: 26
    Hi all..
    ..just wanted to let everyone know that I, too, just got the fix as well and my 03 sedona rides much better. Not smooth as glass, mind you (not that I expect that with a minivan!), but much of the harshness over small bumps has been greatly reduced. Print out the TSB and take it in to your Kia dealer if your ride is excessively rough. It really helps! Joan
  • chrisbattochrisbatto Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I have searched for the TSB about the struts but can't find it on the net. Can anyone post a link here? or email it to me at:

chrisbatto@gmail.com?

Thanks for any assistance

Chris
    Chris,
    Here is a partial description of TSB #KT2007020501 from the KiaTech website. Just refer your dealer to that TSB #. If your Sedona is still within the warranty it should be at no cost. Mine was with 30k on the odometer.
    Try this site for info

Boxwernch

--------------

TSB No. KT2007020501 TSB Type General
    Language English Published 2/5/2007
    Model Sedona [GQ](2005) Area N. America
    Gr./Sys./Comp Suspension System / Front Suspension System / Front Strut Assembly
    Symptom SSN001 - Noise
    Subject 2002-2005 Sedona Strut Mount Improvements (Chassis - 015)
    Description

Some owners of 2002-2005 Sedona vehicles produced from 5/1/2001-8/31/2005 may complain of front suspension noise over rough road surfaces at speeds between 18-31 MPH. To reduce the noise Kia has redesigned the strut mount with a modified rubber composition to improve the overall sound dampening in the affected speed range. However, all other suspension components should be checked for performance prior to installing these replacement strut mounts. Concerns with worn out struts and/or rubber mounting components should be addressed before installing these revised mounts. This TSB should only be used for customer complaints at speeds between 18-31 MPH.
  • chrisbattochrisbatto Member Posts: 4
    Hi Boxwrench,

Thank you,

I signed up at:
    http://www.kiatechinfo.com/index.asp

Got it all and more...you are too kind.

Chris
  • bwaynbwayn Member Posts: 13
    Hi there,

I have a Sedona '02. Looking for a pair of struts and seems unavailable after market. I have google and found nothing. Would you please advice me where to get them in reasonable price. Preferable online. May be a part number or something specific that can help me spot it. Do I need to get the strut mounts and dampers?

The struts vibration issue discussion on this thread has been a year by now. Is there a fix for that yet? The problem seems getting worse.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • metchemetche Member Posts: 1
    Try Bestvalueautoparts.com
    Thanks metche; they don't have it.
  • jimmyy43jimmyy43 Member Posts: 8
    I have been reading the post about strut issues and the "fix" for harsh ride and bumps. All of the post that I have read seem to be for 2005 and earlier. I have the same complaints with my 2006, as in harsh ride over bumps etc. Does anyone have the same problems with their 2006 and if so is there a factory bulletin out on the repair of the 2006?
  • onedmconedmc Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Kia sedona. I had front passenger side "clunking" and took it to local Kia dealer in Trenton, NJ. They first replaced front "sway bar"? and clunking still persisted. On 2nd look they had to replace the whole engine"cradle" which is a 4ft. x 4ft. square piece that the engine and other suspension parts are attached to. Clunking noise is no longer there. This was a 2 day repair and they gave me a loaner during the repairs.
    Thanks for the reply. We too have had the back engine cradles replaced and that cleared up that particular noise. Soon I'll go to the dealer, who by the way has been very good, and investigate an noise coming from the rear of the van. Its hard to explain and not real loud but it's there non the less. If it were a rear wheel drive, I would say it was coming from the differential. Kind of like a low hollow constant noise...very faint but now that it has appeared I notice it constantly. The type of road I'm on doesn't seem to make a difference in the sound. Always there and only when the van is going down the road so I'm reasonably sure it's not the fuel pump noise others complain about. Maybe a wheel bearing? I'll call my service adviser and have him research any strut issues also. This van simply does not ride smooth and hit any seams or imperfections in the road with a Bang! Again thanks and I'll keep people advised. I might wait until my next oil change which is about a month or so away.
  • maloniwrenchmaloniwrench Member Posts: 1
    Hi there!

My wife and I purchased a 2006 LX model in early '07. It started making the same (at least I think the same) thumping noise and riding pretty rough recently.

Was the repair you mentioned covered under warranty ( I hope?)

In going through my warranty manual it doesn't look as though it would be, without a very serious fight.

Thanks!
    Sorry I will not be of much help. The Sedona has a lot of nice features but we were in the shop so many times that after 2 years we lost confidence in it and traded it in. After the last visit, for failure to start I drove out of the shop, hit a small bump in the road and there was that thud and I said I am not going back!
    Interestingly...we have had our next vehicle (not a Kia) for 8 months and 6500 miles and NOT ONE issue so far!
    Good luck and sorry I offered no help.
  • onedmconedmc Member Posts: 5
    My Kia was repaired under warranty . I had to pay nothing out of pocket and no more issues have come up. I had my 30,000 mile service done in the mean time and it cost $350.00.
    Based on my experience in care of my 2002 Kia Sedona with over 100,000 miles, here are some info on the "strut issure" mentioned above I thought may be helpful; as for me, it took care of the problem. The van has been used more like a truck. I have the middle sits removed for hualing heavy cargo up to the roof besides hauling children sometime.

Tire ware, alignment, and struts are associated with the issue which you may like to pay attention to. At around 50,000 miles, you may have them mantinence check; that is abut the time that the ride gets bumpy and a bit out of control. Meanwhile, inspect the struts for oil leakage. At about 70,000 mile the struts needed to be replaced reguardless. You will notice a better ride.

Strut Part # (2002-05) Front Right W0133-1658525
    Front Left W0133-1658526

Kia calls them:(02-05)FR 0K52Y34700A
    FL 0K52Y34900A

For DIY individials, they are available in the web but Kia dealership often costs less. The right strut often cost much more then the left. Actually, they both are exactly the same strut; the only different is the location of the brake line and abs line brackets as the left is the reverse of the right. The purpose of the brackets are holding the lines sturdy. So, if you like to save the money, you can just get two left struts and push the lines an inch or so further and pop them into the brackets on the right strut side. If you didn't think the lines can reach, just strap it down with wire tights.

The rear shocks are available everywhere, Amazon is one of the good source but not eBay. The Part # MoMonroe Reflex 911272 REFLEX LIGHT TRUCK Shock Absorber. They can be easily replaced by removing the shock mount bracket which fasten on the frame by 5 big screws.

Hope this helps.

Bruce
  • carfan19carfan19 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the repair will be covered under warranty. My 2006 Sedona EX was making same bonk/thumping noise when going over small bumps at slow speeds. When I took it in to dealer, I mentioned to service Rep. what I had read in the blogs regarding the engine cradle. They said they'll look into it. Got vehicle back same day in the afternoon. They replaced rear subframe bushings and stabilizer links. I'm assuming the stabilizer bar is the same as sway bar. Result: Noise is gone and vehicle feels tight and not as shaky and loose as it did before. Besides this issue we love our Sedona, it's been great so far. Hope this helps everyone who's having this problem. :)
  • mturner66mturner66 Member Posts: 1
    There is 4 ways that they go in. I have been having tire wear issues. How do I know if I have them installed correctly