Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche 911 Tires and Wheels

chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
Guys, check the inside edges of the rear tires. the amount of neg camber on the rears will hardly produce any wear on the out visible edge but strip the inside bald pretty quickly. i too once thought i would be able to forego the expense of new tires every 10-12K miles but i learned otherwise one day when i lifted my car up in the air and discovered teh inside edge was showing cords.

now the fronts, i usually can get atelast 15K if not 20K out of them, rears - the best i ever got was 12K....and this is sampling with 3 different porsches. don't even get me started on the 20" cayenne tires - ugh

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Appreciate the heads up on the greater inside edge wear, but when I had my car in for a 1 year, 10,500 mile service, the dealer claimed that I had at least 60%+ treadlife left on the rears then. We looked at all of the tires with the car up on the rack. Also, he wasn't saying 60% left until they were dangerously low on tread, but rather where he would replace them for performance. Using my fingers as a guage (highly scientific, I know), the tread depth at 10k+ miles was at least 75% of a brand new car.

I haven't taken the car to a track and a fair amount of my mileage is highway, so perhaps I'm just being easier on the tires than the average 911 owner.

Also, chromedome - I'll give you credit for self discipline. I find my 911 to be such a "friendly" driver, that it's taken 3/4 of my miles over the last year and my Acura TL 6-speed barely 1/4. My two daughters have logged substantially more miles in the back seat than you have on your car in total. :surprise:
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Also, chromedome - I'll give you credit for self discipline. I find my 911 to be such a "friendly" driver, that it's taken 3/4 of my miles over the last year...

When we all make that choice between our different vehicles as to which car we'll drive, it's often hard to turn down the Porsche. As you said, it is "friendly". I'll add "fun" to the mix.

For me, when the weather is nasty, I notice that I'm less likely to take the Porsche. But living in California, most days are nice, so the Porsche gets the nod, and quite often the top goes down.

And there is definately something to be said for those back seats, cause when the kids are a factor, the 911 still delivers.

TagMan
  • mikejgmikejg Member Posts: 1
    Guys

I am not sure where you drive your Carrera 2s or on what tires, but mine used to do 6k miles on the back and 20k on the front with Continentals. In an attempt to stem the money drain, I have switched to Bridgestones and I might get 10k on the back. I can tell no difference at all on the wet or dry handling or ride. Anybody got any better ideas?
  • hotrod81hotrod81 Member Posts: 16
    My 2006 C2S has pzeros, and with 5000 miles, they hardly look worn at all. Should have a better idea as to how they hold up sometime this summer.
    I rechecked my rear tires over the weekend with the highly sophisticated, "stick your fingers in the grooves" method of gauging tread depth. I have the original Pirelli P-Zero's (235/35 front, 295/30 rear) with 12,400 miles.

The good news is that I have what appears to be very even tire wear. No difference in depth inside vs outside edges and both rears were the same. However, they are definitely more worn, with shallower tread than the fronts (est. 1/4" for rears, 3/8" for fronts), and my optimism that they would last another 5-7k+ miles may have been premature.

When I get a chance in the next few days, I'll take the car to the local dealer - one of the service techs is a "track" guy - and see what he thinks. My guess is new tires will be needed at 15k+/- miles if I don't want to milk them past optimum performance.

Obviously, how you drive your car makes a huge difference in tire life. My 12k+ miles have been pretty easy - no track time, a little "enthusiastic" driving, 60% highway miles on fair to good roads.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "My 12k+ miles have been pretty easy - no track time, a little "enthusiastic" driving, 60% highway miles on fair to good roads."

Can I have your cab when you're done with it?
    "Can I have your cab when you're done with it?"

How about next week?

I went to my Porsche dealer today to have the service manager look at the tires and he now claims the rears are ready to be replaced. Pretty odd that, at 10,711 miles (oil change/service) they "look great with lots of tread life left" and now at 12,415 miles they "should be replaced as soon as possible". Sounds fishy, but unfortunately, I think the current assessment may be correct. I'm going to try getting a qualified second opinion from someone that doesn't sell tires. After giving me the bad news on the rears, he did say the fronts "look good with lots of tread life left". :surprise:

In any event, while I was waiting for them to put it up on the rack, I checked out two unsold 911 Turbos they have in stock. GT Silver and Slate Grey, both 6-speeds, with $131,000 to $133,000 stickers. We hit 75 degrees here today, so neither of them looked quite as good as my Cab S with the top down, but they are tempting.

If anyone is looking to "trade up", check out Rockville Porsche. The salesman said they weren't discounting them as they were "extra" allocations from Porsche, but that's the same thing they said in August 2005 when I was Cab S shopping. A little sidebar with the Sales Manager reminding him that I bought from another dealer 50 miles away at a $10,000+ discount in September 2005 ought to loosen them up a bit. ;)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "How about next week?"

I was hoping for a little more depreciation. 2 years from next week should work.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Hmmm... I saw a '99 911 for $28K the other day...

Guess I'll be ready in about six more years... Maybe about the time you are done with it, fedlawman..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I have been told by Tire Rack and my Porsche dealer that the OEM Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 19" 295/30 (N rated for Porsche) rear tires for my 911S Cab are completely out of stock and on back order. There is no word from Pirelli as to when they will be available.

Replacing just the rear tires with Michelin or another brand is not recommended, unless you replace all four tires. Given that my fronts are only about 50% worn, I don't want to throw them out.

Has anyone run into this issue and/or considered replacing the rears with 305/30's (standard on the Carerra S4)? Apparantly they are in stock, albeit in low supply.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You need to look at the inside tread and shoulder. I’m not sure about this but I think the rear tires on Porsches have some toe-out which means the inside edges wear much faster. This is in addition to the negative camber. Your tire wear is not inconsistent with what I have heard. However I suggest taking a close look at the inside edges. Did he point out the area of wear when it was on the rack?

With regard to the 997 Turbo, here are some anecdotal notes. Last week I was stopped at a highway gas station and a gent pulled up in a 993 Turbo. I chatted with him and he told me he had a 997 Turbo but didn't like it and dumped it. Recently I had my Boxster in for service and noticed two used 997 Turbos on the showroom floor. I am not suggesting anything other than my outlook is to be vigilant with all new models. You can take a considerable hit on them. It happened with the 996 Turbo and 996 GT3.
    Replacing just the rear tires with Michelin or another brand is not recommended, unless you replace all four tires.

Do what you want but I'd have no problem replacing front and rear with different brands. The logic is to keep symmetry on the axle. Plenty of people do what you are considering when switching brands. Front-to-rear is asymmetrical to begin with when you consider the front/rear differences in tire sizes, suspension settings and wheel angles.
    Thanks for the input - another tire store rep here told me the same thing - Michilins in rears and Pirellis in front would be O.K.

However, my dealer, before finding out the 295/30's were out of stock, quoted me a very good price on the Pirelli's ($360 vs. $440+ at Tire Rack). So I'm going to see what he comes back with on the 305/30's Pirelli's. I have to believe they will fit fine, since they are standard on the C4's and even on the C2's, there is a 5mm "spacer option to push the tires out further in the wheel well. I don't have that option, so I doubt I will have a rubbing problem just going to 10mm wider rear tires. It might actually make my speedometer more accurate, given that it reads 70 when I'm actually only going about 65. Any thoughts on the 305/30's idea?

P.S. The Michilins are in the $480 range. A friend has the Michilins on his 911S Coupe, and I'll be darned if I can tell the difference. Supposedly lower road noise, but on a Cab, that's not a major factor.
    I'd probably want to stick with the 295s because they're enormous as it is. If you go with the 305s just make sure they are set up within spec but I am sure you realize this.

It seems preferences among owners are split between the Pirellis and Michelins. I've heard that the Michelins last longer. Seems those PZeros melt away quickly in comparison.

BTW, I also heard that TireRack won't be getting Pirellis for the 997 or perhaps all P-cars because Porsche allegedly has an exclusive arrangement with Pirelli. I have no idea whether this is rumor or fact. I read it in the blogs. Seems odd.
    Tire Rack has the Pirellis in the 305/30 size (specifically for Porsche) in stock. They are the standard tire on the C4S (same exact wheel) and according to the Tire Rack advisor, will fit the C2S without any problem. Approximately $25 per tire more.

Haven't decided what to do on the Pirellis vs. Michelins, as I still prefer not to mix and match brands (not sure why) but at least there is an option. I'm going to try to get an unbiased opinion on my tread life later this week.

Also, I called Porsche North America cutomer service, just to see if they were aware of the situation and had any advice. It took awhile to get the rep to understand that I wasn't asking him to come to my house with tires under his arms. I just thought management should know that I got 5 completely different responses from 4 different dealerships on availability and alternatives. Supposedly, I'm to recieve a follow up call from Porsche later this week after they investigate the matter and give me an "official" response. At this point, I'll just take a free Porsche hat and figure it out myself.

Thanks for your feedback/suggestions. I'll try to get an extra hat for you. ;)
    Well, low and behold, my Porsche dealer magically came up with a pair of Pirelli 295/30's that will be "released" by Porsche North America to be shipped from their designated distributor out of their "private stock". And, even more amazing (given Porsche mark-ups) they are selling them to me at a price $20 less than the Tire Rack price.

I guess the call to Porsche customer service paid off - they must have rattled the cage of the dealer for giving me some poor information and I'll have new tires next week. But no free hats. :cry:
    Sounds good. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Guess I'll have to pop for the hat though. ;-)
  • david112david112 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in the Chicago area and am going to try driving it this winter. Any tire recommendations?
    Thanks.
  • firstporschefirstporsche Member Posts: 1
    I bought my first Porsche, a 2003 911 Cab in June in Denver. It was in immaculate shape with 8600 miles. I now have 12,500, including the 1200 cross-country drive home. My right rear went flat yesterday, and would not take air. After removing it to put on the spare, I was shocked that the inside shoulder was worn down to the air, and the sidewall had broken down, fortunately while my car was parked. The fronts look good, but after inspecting the left rear, it is in almost the same condition as the right. I assume from the car's condition that the original owner drove the car easy, and I have as well, with mostly in town driving and some highway.

I am replacing the two rears, and presently have Conitnentals all around. The rears are 285/30, ZR 18. I have a price of $782 to install the same tires. Any recommendation on going with something different, including mixing brands? I am interested in the longest life available for the price, but in retrospect, think these probably should have been replaced at 8,000. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    I replaced the rear tires in my 2005 911S at 12,800 miles, which, I understand is about average for easy driving.

I went with the same OEM Pirelli P-Zero Rossos that were on the car at a price of about $1,050 including tax, mounting and balancing ($80 per tire at my dealership).

Of the three options for my car (295/30 19"), Michelin Pilot Sports were considered by most to be slightly better (handling and tread life) and slightly more expensive than the Pirelli's. A minority prefer the Pirellis for dry handling. But Continentals, although significnatly cheaper, are considered well below either the Michelins or the Pirellis. My selling dealer won't even install them, having had too many complaints about poor performance.
  • jkwapisjkwapis Member Posts: 1
    Will the following wheels fit a 1995 - 911 (993) with out modifications??

PORSCHE 996 TURBO S OEM 18'' WHEELS - FRONT TIRES 295/30ZR/18 .REAR TIRES 225/40ZR/18
  • dfinkelsteinmddfinkelsteinmd Member Posts: 4
    my 2001 turbo needs new tires at 12,000 miles and a few wheels have curb rash so i am looking at upgrading to the newer model's (997) 19" wheels and tires. does anyone know if they will fit into my wheel wells without rubbing and what the offset should be to make these work? will i need spaces and if so, how big? also, the new wheels come with pressure sensors but of course my car does not have this option. does this matter in the fitment? thanks
  • brit04brit04 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Carrera S which has had Michelin Pilot sport from day 1. I have 10K miles with probably 60% left on the tread. My experience with Pirelli P-Zeros on a previous Jaguar XK8 was about 6-8K for the rear tires then replacing them with Michelins for 15K+ miles with no noticable performance compromise. I am a Michelin convert as they wear well and grip well and let go predictably. This is fairly spirited driving with no track use so far.
    i agree that the michelins outlast the pirellis, although my mercedes wagon goes through michelins pretty fast for a family vehicle. my concern about the upgrade has more to do with fitment, however. does anyone know about needing spacers for the 19" wheels that have offsets of 56 and 57, while my car's 18"ers have 50 and 45.
  • 07997turbo07997turbo Member Posts: 31
    I just took my 07 turbo in for its first service a week ago and encountered the same issue. The dealership wanted to charge me $1600 for a new set of rear Michelins and another 500 for an AWD alignment. My fronts have only 50% wear and it seems evenly disbursed. It seems to definitely be a rear suspension camber issue. I am switching from the michelins to Pirelli after reading reviews and comparing test results between the Michelins, Bridgestone and Pirelli. Also, I am getting 4 new tires for what the dealership wanted to charge me for 2...

235/35ZR19 Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico N1
    (Porsche)
    for 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo Standard brakes
    In Stock 2 $308.00 $616.00
    305/30ZR19 Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico N1
    (Porsche)
    for 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo Standard brakes
    In Stock 2 $445.00 $890.00
    Shipping Sub-Total: $52.10

I think it may be something thqt can be tweaked on the rear suspension to increase the camber slightly to prevent this uneven wear. However, I am not impressed with 50% wear on my front set of Michellins with less than 10K miles. Hence the switch to the Pirelli (I'll let you know how these wear over the summer).
    Addendum....

The Dealership wanted to charge $400 for load balancing TWO tires. I am having all FOUR done for $200....

No WONDER Porsche forward market earnings expectations are high....
    Not sure what reviews you have read, but from everything I've read and heard from others with experience, the Michelins are equal or better than the Pirelli's in both performance and wear. Both my selling dealer and my servicing dealer claim that the Michelins are quieter, comparable dry performance, better wet performance and last 20% longer than P-Zero Rosso's.

I have Pirelli's on my 911S (same size as yours, except rears are 295 vs. 305). I replaced the rears at 12,500 miles. Fronts are still decent at 18,500 miles. I would have gone to Michelins, but because of a mess up on something else, the dealer gave me the Pirelli's for $440 each (Tire Rack price) and mounted/balanced them for free. Next time, I'll reconsider the Michelins.
    my P zero's are noisy too, but are wearing well after 13,000 miles on both front and rear of my 996TT. my wife and i drive mercedes E series most of the time, however, and the michelins on them do not hold up well, but are quiet. we've gone through 3 sets of pilots on the E55 and two sets on the E350 with less than 40,000 miles on them. also, the michelins split and leak from the sidewalls very easily and cannot be patched when damaged like that.
    Looking at the tread configuration, I can agree that the Michelins are quieter (Though the 480 BHP growl behind me kinda drones them out) but the tread on the pirellis seems to be much better in the rain with far less hydroplaning. If the tires are good enough for a hlf a million dollar lambo.... we shall see how they wear. :-)
  • 911c4s911c4s Member Posts: 4
    Chile96 is right. I had a slow leak in my rear tire and dropped into the dealer. They found nothing (no nail in the tire etc)..they did however tell me that my tires were down to the bone on the inside due to the negative camber. Dealer told me that I must be really into the corners (which I always am especially on the sunday morning drives). Check the car when its up on the hoist. You cannot tell by looking at the tires when its on the ground. The inner edges can be bald and the outer may look fine. It was really surprising to me too.
    I barely get a summer of the rears and I drive my car every single day from home to the office from spring to fall (except in bad ugly weather)
  • Goose04Goose04 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Cab C4S, and the finish is coming off the wheels, of course the dealer says they can't do anything about it, it only has 22000 miles on it. They also claim that the previous owner had the wheels reworked because of curb rub. I was fine with that until I read an article in Auto Week that claims the dust from the brakes cause this to happen, anyone know anything about this?
  • ffongffong Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased my first 911 4S Cabriolet.My wife is driving it now she found the rear tire had a nail in it. When my wife took the car to the local Porsche dealer, the service manager, told my wife that Porsche will not fix a simple nail in the tire because of liabilities. She needs to buy a new tire and replace it. They send my wife to a tire shop to do the repair, anyone out there had the same experienced?
    My personal opinion is that they may hold more liabilities turning my wife away, knowingly that she drives with a nail in the tire.........not a very considerate in more ways than one, safety, customer service, and liabilities. please give me your feed back......

Francis
    Although this advice is self-serving and expensive, it is not unusual. I suggest you try a local tire shop that handles the Michelin or Pirelli's that your car wears. They will most likely repair your tire or offer to replace it if there is any warranty left on it. If you think a new tire is expensive, you can imagine the outrage I felt when a dealer strongly recommended replacing both rear tires on my Porsche when only one had a flat...
  • ffongffong Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your input.
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    When I had my Boxster the thing seemed to attract nails into the right rear tire. Called my Porsche service manager and he gave me the same story. His explanation was that the tires were a certain speed rating and once repaired they were no longer certified at that speed rating. A liability thing. Made sense to me.

Took the car to my local wrench who serviced my beater and my wife's car and he put a plug in the tire. Plug held up until I turned the car in at the end of the lease. I could no longer drive it at 120 mph but I never did that anyway.
  • nova1969nova1969 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I also have a Porsche 911S, How are those new tires holding up, i am curently looking for a set and I am beginning to conclude I might be better off spending more for a good set of Michelins and Pirellis. I currently have 18600 miles on the car and the tread is good for another 3000 miles.

How is your 911 holding up assuming you still have it. I see you last post was 2008,
  • herb_12418herb_12418 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie to this forum. I have a 1986 911 Targa that need tires. Tire Rack was suggested as a source. Seems their highest rated tire (I only do summer driving, no racing) is the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 (Extreme Performance Summer). The tread design is "different" and i was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this tire. All comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Herb
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    I have Continental Contact Sport 2 on my '04 911 Cab. Noise level is fine. Only disappointment is the wear. Had to replace the rear tires at 10,000 miles. Fronts are fine, should easily last another 10,000 until it is time to replace the rear tires again. I do not drive the car all that hard. Was hoping to get at least 15,000out of the rears. Not to be the case.

as an aside,, I just put a set of Continental DWS (dry, wet, snow) tires on my wife's Lincoln LS. They have about 3,000 miles on them. So far, very impressed.
  • fishmrfishmr Member Posts: 1
    I HAD SAME EXPERIENCE WITH "RUN FLAT" TIRE. HAD IT RERAIRED AT A LOCAL TIRE SHOP BUT AFTER ABOUT 2 MONTHS THE REPAIR FAILED. IT APPEARS THAT THE TIRE IS SI THICK THAT IT WON'T HOLD PATCH WELL.
  • walterd1walterd1 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I've a 2001 C2 with a Turbo configuration (295 30 18) on the rear, would like to think out of the box and try Redestein Sessanta but they do not make that size, they make 295 35 18. Does any one know if I can change to that size on the rear?

There are all type of good comments and reviews about those tires
  • skimmachiskimmachi Member Posts: 3
    Greetings! I was interested if changing to a nonapprove tire will it void any warranties. I have 09 c2s. any thoughts on the hankook tires. it was recently review quite high. thanks
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Yes, using non-OE tires can void those portions of the warranty that are related to tires - suspension, ride, handling issues and the like.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I'm looking at a preowned 2007 base 911 coupe, 11000 miles, which has 19" wheels but no PASM.

About how much would it cost to switch out the 19" wheels for 18" wheels?
  • pdlworthpdlworth Member Posts: 1
    What type of 19" wheels are on the 07?
    Just bought a 09 with factory 18" and looking for a set of 19"
    edited March 2011
    It's okay. I bought a CPO 2007 911 with 16,000 miles. It has 19" wheels/Pirelli Zeros. I find the ride perfectly okay. Don't believe everything you read. You don't need PASM with 19" wheels.
    Thanks!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    :)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• jken_edmundsjken_edmunds Member Posts: 1

I switched from the Pilot Sport 2's to the Michelin Super Sports, and have at least 75% tread after 10k miles. Make sure to get an alignment when putting on your new wheels. I even have the car lowered on Eibach's and am pleasantly surprised with the longevity of these tires. PSS are a new favorite!