Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@bpeebles said:
    Is there some way to select from the 'built in' avatars that Edmunds appears to have available?

From what I can determine, those are randomly assigned when you first log in. Your avatar can be any image file on your computer. It doesn't have to be anything too personally identifiable.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

I wish to comment on the speed of the new forum-engine. So far, it seems to be much more responsive than the older system. Web pages seem to take less than 3 seconds to respond.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

Maybe I've eliminated the e-mails, but this time when I hit the quote/reply button, I got none of what Karen said, only what appears above.

I guess it's called a learning curve.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@bpeebles said:
    I wish to comment on the speed of the new forum-engine. So far, it seems to be much more responsive than the older system. Web pages seem to take less than 3 seconds to respond.

Tell me about it! On the old platform I would click to new page, go to the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, walk the dog and maybe when I got back it had loaded :(

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    Tell me about it! On the old platform I would click to new page, go to the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, walk the dog and maybe when I got back it had loaded :(

For us 'techie' folks, would you be willing tell us a little about the platform this new system is running on? Server type? Operating system? Database type?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    edited December 2013

Is there a Help function, a FAQ, anything to assist in learning how to use this?

And there really needs to be a way to get back to your bookmarked discussions more easily than scrolling back to the almost-but-not-quite top of the page.

What is this Markdown thing it says I can use and why would I do that?

Oh, and it shows I joined in early November. I think I have been here since the late 1990s. Any way to edit that?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@nyccarguy said:
    First off, I want to thank Edmunds. I'm sure this whole newness did not come cheap, but for us posters it is still free. I dig the cleaner, more modern look. I love that I can post a picture right to the site & have a profile pic too. The badges are very cool too. I'm proud of my 5,000 post, 10 year, & archeological badges.

I figured out how to follow a thread from another poster & how to view your "starred threads." What I'm not seeing is the old "read new posts" button.

Great job overall though!

Thank you! Thank you! A lot of long hours and very hard work went in to this. As you know, Edmunds forums are HUGE. Migrating was no easy task.

Lots of cool new features, but some that we loved on the old platform are not available here, e.g. read new. The best thing to do is bookmark your favorite discussions. Then when you return, click on My Bookmarks and those with new to you comments will be at the top of the list.

@bpeebles said:
    For us 'techie' folks, would you be willing tell us a little about the platform this new system is running on? Server type? Operating system? Database type?

Welllll, I'm not a techie, so can't answer those questions. I can tell you the forums are now powered by Vanilla Forums. Google that and you'll find their info.

I see reference in my profile to a "wall". Not that I want it - I hated that about Facebook - but is it even activated? If not, it might be good to eliminate those references.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited December 2013

I miss the title line.

Over the years I've used the title to start my comment, with an ellipsis, then the balance of the sentence in the body of the post. I've noticed in the various bookmarked discussions that I'm bringing up-to-date by going to the end, that many of my posts make even less sense without the title line.

Oh well. . .

Also, these avatars remind me of when we all had flags next to our names -- made it really easy for me to find my stuff or that of anyone else who didn't have the stars & stripes. Either way, they make it much simpler to identify who's posting without reading anything.

Oh, and the post numbers. The people in Sales Front Lines are going to be apoplectic if no one gets to be #100,000.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@Mark@Edmunds said:
    If you'd like to bookmark an entire Category, go to Edit Profile > Notification Preferences. You'll find a full list of Categories there and can select those you wish to bookmark.

Okay -- looks like I was totally wrong about this. My apologies. Perhaps something we can work towards in a future enhancement.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417

@Karen@Edmunds - the forums are lightning fast. It's great so far! I also love how Everybody's info just carried over. I didn't have to re-register

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900

Love it! End of story!! Nice job.

I've posted this in a few other forums, but the fastest way to get your "watched items" back is to click on "participated" on the right hand side. This will show you all the topics you have previously replied in. From there just click the stars, you will be up and running in no time. After that, go into bookmarks and you will see all the discussions. I had to go into each one and navigate to the last page so that they showed up as read. Now it works just like my watched items, showing what topics have new posts since my last visit.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited December 2013

@tjc78 said:
    I had to go into each one and navigate to the last page so that they showed up as read. Now it works just like my watched items, showing what topics have new posts since my last visit.

There is a shortcut to getting to the last page--if the discussion is one frequently visited here.

Go to the Recent Discussions list and look for those you want to bring up-to-date.
    When the discussion is shown there, the last page numbers are shown. You can click on the very last page number right there on that list and you go to the last page, which saves clicking and mousing.
    I then use the back arrow on the browser to return to the Recent Discussions list.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287

The new format is awful, sometimes more doesn't equal better. The nice thing about the old format was the SIMPLICITY of it, your eyes didn't hurt looking at it because there wasn't all kinds of different colors and avatar pictures drawing your attention away from the content. Don't understand where all the love for it is coming from???

• capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    edited December 2013

I don't see a search function.

I realize that most folks will be looking for vehicle specific stuff, but I'm a tire engineer and I'm looking to answer questions that people have about a specific component that is present on ALL vehicles.

While I hang out at "Tires, Tires, Tires", I find that people don't seek out that forum. They tend to post by vehicle.

I'd like to request a return to an open ended search function that arranges itself by post date.

I really am happy to see how well the new forum has worked starting yesterday afternoon. And it has the look and feel of the old forum. It does not look like many of the other automotive discussions I have visited on the web and that is good. The IT people should have slept well last night after this rollout.

I was hoping all would be working before Friday, but the new Edmunds came much sooner. Great.

Suggestions for some features to add:

1. A signup method for groups of forums, like before where I had signed up for the group and any new posts in old discussions or new discussions in the Bonneville, leSabre, and Park Avenue groups showed up in Read New Posts. I have seen someone suggesting same for Subaru.

2. Either a link to open the Bookmarks, without mousing up to the right side box, to replace the "Read New Posts" we had before OR a "Read New Posts" button.

I would suggest adding a link to Bookmarks below the posting box where the "Home," "General," "Preview", etc., buttons are. So I'm suggesting the group be "Home, General, Bookmarks,...". I believe there is room, but if not, the 3 current Button sizes could be shrunk slightly.

Congratulations on the software change and new layout.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013

@capriracer said:
    I don't see a search function.

I'm tempted to say you have to search for it. :p

On the "main" Forums landing page, there's a typical search box with a big Go button.

But by all the page numbers that Imidazol97 just mentioned, there's a little magnifying glass. You'll find that tool in every discussion, like this one, as well in the Recent Discussions, My Bookmarks and My Discussions lists. It's easy to overlook. Just click it and the search box will pop up, saving you a trip to the one on the landing page. Plus, if you just search in a discussion, your search results will be limited to posts in that discussion.

I think for what you want to do, I'd go to Recent Discussions and search for Tires. That should gather all posts that mention tires, with the most recent post first.

Oh, just noticed that some of the search boxes will give you a down arrow that will expand your search options so you can also search by post author and date and stuff.

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388

What a mess. I think I'm going to need a manual just to find what used to be known as" my watched discussions". Help!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

edited December 2013

@andys120 said:
    Help!

Go to the group called "Participated" and you'll find these are the forums in which you have been posting. Your Watched Items will be in there. Mark the little star turning it yellow and those will be isolated in the My Bookmarks group.

edited December 2013

@ab348 said:>
    What is this Markdown thing it says I can use and why would I do that?

Markdown lets you get fancy in your posts if you know a bit of html code. One example:

• Chevy
    • Ford
    • Chrysler
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989

It was nice when the post had a number (eg post 45 of 234).

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2013

@bobw3 said:
    It was nice when the post had a number (eg post 45 of 234).

Guess it depends how much you used to navigate to a specific post number. I did from time to time, but the page numbers of the discussions are still there at the top and bottom for navigating around.

And you can use the little search magnifying glass (to the right of the discussion page numbers) to find a specific post if you can remember even one small phrase from the post. For example, I just did a search for "eg post 45 of 234" and it brought your post right up. It was even really fast using the search while I was at the Recent Discussions page. If you can remember a couple of words from the post, you'll be able to find it

I used to use the advanced search on the old forums the same way to find posts I wanted to reference.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786

I think that @cdnpinhead mentioned this earlier, but It would be really, REALLY nice if the navigation menu, which is currently embedded on the right in the middle of some ads all the way at the top of the page, would float, perhaps by itself on the left side, such that we could access it regardless of where on the page we were presently reading posts!

I think that we can all agree that most of the time when we are finished with a page, we are at the bottom. Granted, there are a couple navigational options down here, but not the ones most likely to be used!

Y'all are a huge batch of awesomeness. Kirstie, Karen, Mark, Flyer... thank you for the responsiveness!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

One more quick question: Is there a way to mark all bookmarked discussions as "read?"

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Once you click on the last page of comments, all other pages will be "read". So you don't have to click through page by page.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Once you click on the last page of comments, all other pages will be "read". So you don't have to click through page by page.

Agreed. Except that method does require you to click the last page of each thread. For now, I just clicked through a batch toward the top of my (substantial) list, and figured that the older ones will find their way to the top if something new posts. Sadly, I doubt I will see new threads much, as they won't automatically include in my bookmarks unless we are able to, at some point, add full forum areas for watching, as was alluded by Mark earlier. I feel a bit of jealousy coming on, actually. :p

Oh, and Steve, I think you're quite helpful as well. ;)

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882

Without the "Watched Items" link you can put me in the "hate it" camp. That feature saved me a LOT of time. There are a couple handful of forums that I cared about. Now I have to waste my time scrolling through updated forums I care nothing about.

IMHO, a very bad move for a service oriented website.

Right, what I've been doing is watching the Recent Discussions and bookmarking the ones that interest me. Many of the ones I used to watch I'm not bookmarking until they get new activity.

I think ours was one of the few forums out there that started out and remained conversation based over the years. Translating that to new software just isn't easy, and we researched a lot of different platforms. So we're more granular now.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@mikefm58 said:
    Without the "Watched Items" link you can put me in the "hate it" camp. That feature saved me a LOT of time. There are a couple handful of forums that I cared about. Now I have to waste my time scrolling through updated forums I care nothing about.

IMHO, a very bad move for a service oriented website.

Bookmarks are the equivalent of Watched Items. So once you bookmark a discussion, you just click on "my bookmarks" to get to the list of discussions you've elected to watch.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

sooo... wait... I have to try to find all the old discussions I used to track? Some warning would have been nice so I could have taken a screenshot. No way I can remember them all.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@Stever@Edmunds said: ...So we're more granular now.

What does that mean, "granular"?

@qbrozen said:
    sooo... wait... I have to try to find all the old discussions I used to track?

I found them easily in the "Participated" list. That lists all topics in which I participated in chronological order. So some of the old, seldom posted to watched items are down further in the list. I went through and checked the little star so it was yellow, bookmarked, then those all show in my bookmarked list which acts like the "Watched Items" used to.

More people showing up on mobile devices or from the search engines looking for help about a car problem who may not post in an existing discussion that already has comments about their issue.

edited December 2013

@imidazol97 said:
    I found them easily in the "Participated" list. That lists all topics in which I participated in chronological order. So some of the old, seldom posted to watched items are down further in the list. I went through and checked the little star so it was yellow, bookmarked, then those all show in my bookmarked list which acts like the "Watched Items" used to.

Good find. Thanks!

Now I have a suggestion. Can we get a better divider than just a grey rule? What's worse is the signatures are also separated by a grey rule, so as I'm scrolling, I keep reading signatures thinking they are posts. Conversely, because the grey rule isn't prominent, I find myself skipping posts because I thought it was a continutation of the one above it (especially when the icon next to the name is a bit too discreet, such as Stever's.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,134

Positive comment - I like the new image system, which automatically resizes. Saves me a lot of work.

Margins still seem too wide though, maybe in case someone has to view in a huge font.

@qbrozen said: Can we get a better divider than just a grey rule? What's worse is the signatures are also separated by a grey rule, so as I'm scrolling, I keep reading signatures thinking they are posts.

The grey rule is angle sensitive on my laptop LCD screen. If I have the top laid back further--open more, the ruler is much darker; if I'm looking at the screen from above normal, lighter. Try looking from lower down toward the screen.

Ha. Well, if it involves adjusting equipment that works fine everywhere else, it ain't designed correctly.

@tjc78 said:
    Love it! End of story!! Nice job.

I wouldn't go that far yet. There seem to be a lot of things that aren't quite right. But it is working at least.

I've posted this in a few other forums, but the fastest way to get your "watched items" back is to click on "participated" on the right hand side. This will show you all the topics you have previously replied in. From there just click the stars, you will be up and running in no time. After that, go into bookmarks and you will see all the discussions. I had to go into each one and navigate to the last page so that they showed up as read. Now it works just like my watched items, showing what topics have new posts since my last visit.

Yes, this is what I was able to figure out too, and it works reasonably well. I will say again, though: it would sure be nice to have a Help file or a FAQ somewhere on what does what with this software. I guess it is called "Vanilla" for a reason. These non-intuitive icons and terms are really not very useful if you don't know what they mean.

I find the "Edmunds Bar" at the top of the page a waste of space, and there needs to be some forum related links at the bottom of each discussion page.

@qbrozen said:
    to the name is a bit too discreet, such as Stever's.

Geeze, I worked on that paddle for an hour and even had my bud in Texas 'shop it a bit for me. How's this one? :o

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited December 2013

Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem as easy to see to whom a given reply is directed. Overall though, I likey.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@carnaught said:
    Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem as easy to see to whom a given reply is directed. Overall though, I likey.

If you use the "quote" feature, it's easier. You can also just type @carnaught to make it clear, if you don't need the text for context.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

@xwesx said:

Y'all are a huge batch of awesomeness. Kirstie, Karen, Mark, Flyer... thank you for the responsiveness!

Thanks! Remember that WE have had our comfort zone changed as well. I'm already learning about things from you guys that I might not have figured out as fast without YOUR help.

By far the best "forum family" that I've dealt with!

As far as "catching up" on discussions you are bookmarking goes, the easiest way I've found (so far) is to click on the Bookmarks link (once I've added bookmarks), then if I see a last post date from a while back, I just click on the number for the last page of that discussion and immediately hit ALT+left arrow to take me back one page to the list of bookmarked discussions to do the next one on the list. That way I can "mark as read" all the old posts I know I've already been through and I'm set to see new posts in those discussions next time there are any.

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    As far as "catching up" on discussions you are bookmarking goes, the easiest way I've found (so far) is to click on the Bookmarks link (once I've added bookmarks), then if I see a last post date from a while back, I just click on the number for the last page of that discussion and immediately hit ALT+left arrow to take me back one page to the list of bookmarked discussions to do the next one on the list. That way I can "mark as read" all the old posts I know I've already been through and I'm set to see new posts in those discussions next time there are any.

ALT + left arrow takes you back one page anywhere or always to the list of bookmarked discussions?

How did you discover that? What are the other ALT+key (or other key combo) functions? Are they documented anywhere?

edited December 2013

Forgot all about that one. It should take you forward and back in your browser page, at least with Internet Explorer.

My keyboard also has a forward/back pair of keys but I wind up using the forward and back buttons on my 5 button mouse.

CTRL-Home will pop you to the top of the page close to the Read Discussions link.

Internet Explorer shortcut keys (computerhope.com)

I'm using the right-click of the mouse in an open area of the right side of the page, then the flyout window includes "back." I click that and I'm back at Bookmarks or whatever was the previous window.

edited December 2013

I save 50% of mouse clicking with my "back button". :D

Naturally you can't find ambidextrous multi-buttoned mice anymore, unless you get a weird gaming one (I'm right handed but mouse lefty). I got my last two NOS from eBay.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

How do I delete the entry in "My Discussions" which is outdated ?

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

The new site seems to be quicker. There is one thing that seems to be missing. Under the old system if you wanted to browse a vehicle like a Highlander, you could go to SUV, click Highlander and then see a time based list of topics and comments under it. Now if you go to SUV you get a mix of time based comments on all of the vehicles. If you search Highlander you get a very broad range of things like driving reviews. I liked the previous capability of comparing say Highlander, Traverse and Explorer comments about issues and problems without all SUV model comments mixed in. It was very useful in comparing these and helping make purchase decisions. The separate driving reviews are easily found elsewhere on the site. Am I missing something here?