Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• pre50pre50 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2003 Burb - I have a 2000 4X4. I wanted a diesel engine (better fuel economy). A dealer told me GM said it would be later in 2003 & it's around $3K option. Has anyone heard the same?
  • resque84resque84 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone have a '03 with stabilitrak ?What are the settings on the dash besides stabilitrak?
    Thanks
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    If you mean the buttons that are stacked top to bottom to the left of the gauge cluster, then they are: Stabilitrak on/off, AWD, 4LO--3 buttons in all, as opposed to the 4 that are associated with Autotrac. I don't believe you can get both Autotrac AND Stabilitrac options on a Tahoe/'burb/Yukon since Autotrac has 2HI button, whereas with Stabilitrac you get AWD--not that Stabilitrac means AWD but apparently because of the way Stabilitrac functions, I guess you get AWD by default (no 2HI button on a Stabilitrak-equipped SUV)?
    Thanks tdoh ! So you can have stabilitrak on without AWD ? If so I guess that's like 2 HI, and then stabilitrak on together with AWD would be great for snowy roads .Can it be on with 4LO ?
    You can't have Stabiltrak with Autotrac they are 2 different systems.right now I got a Yukon XL with stabilitrak, but will be getting a Suburban and want the stabilitrak.I had it on a caddy once and it was awesome
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    The mirror is not controlled by a module. It is a direct connection to that sender under the bumper. From what it sounds like a bad mirror. If the dealer won't change the mirror try another dealer, if the sensor was replaced twice and he same thing happens all that's left is the mirror.
  • ted44ted44 Member Posts: 10
    how I can fix my burb to not be 1 to 2 inches higher on the right rear than the left? It has autoride and I would like find a way to lower the right rear to make the rig set level? I'm thinking that sliding the AutoRide sensor connection that is back there a little to the rear might make the computer think it is high and as a result it maybe it would lower it a little on that side. Thanks for your help.
  • jahuffjahuff Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 03 Yukon XL D. The dealer replaced mirror. OK now.
  • bc13bc13 Member Posts: 32
    Hey all, just wanted to get some feedback on the expected life of my burb. its in immaculate condition and has had an oil change every 3 K. runs great and as i have said, it been taken care of. can't afford a new one and used are pretty expensive as well. I've heard they'll go to 150K with ease. What do you all think?
  • claaahirschclaaahirsch Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone felt a noticeable vibration between 65mph and 70mph?
    Service techs are having trouble finding problem.
  • 03tahoe03tahoe Member Posts: 83
    A couple of guys on the Tahoe board reported the same problem. They reported that problem went away by replacing the very CHEAP fire stones with a Mich. ( Better Tire )
  • dongabedongabe Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01 Suburban and live in Minnesota. There is a problem in the winter time with the passenger seat being much colder than the driver's seat. If I set the heat so that I am comfortable, my wife is cold. If she sets the heat, I am very hot.

Can anyone with a 03 comment if they still Experience this problem?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    What happens if you switch places (i.e. she drives)?

There was an issue a while back about a bad seal on the firewall. Does she feel a draft?
  • dongabedongabe Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my wife does claim that there is a draft. I know that when I bought it two years ago, there were discussions regarding this same problem.
  • jborsjbors Member Posts: 6
    I'm interested in anyone's experience with the 2500 4x4 8 liter engine. I have an older 1/2 ton 4x4 but likely will upgrade for better towing and high altitude performance. Can anyone provide real-world mileage estimates as the Chevy sales people say this information is not available. I guess my choice will be between the middle engine size and the 8 liter based on feedback.

Thanks in advace for your comments!
  • csautercsauter Member Posts: 1
    I noticed this in my '03 as well. From my findings, the error lies in the tens digit display. The upper bar (top of the 9) stays lit when it should not (when temp in the 40's). Also, the middle bar stays lit when temperatures are in the 70's, making the tens digit 7 look like a crossed 7. Changing the mirror should be the answer, your sensor should be fine.
  • markmuellermarkmueller Member Posts: 5
    I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2003 Suburban. I have a price of $100.00 over invoice, plus 1 1/2% advertising fees. All dealers insist on the advertising fees. Is this legitimate if it appears on the factory invoice?

Thank you.

Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yep.

Irritating, but legit.

Why should I pay advertising fees?

Steve, Host

• tsbrady1tsbrady1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 LT 2wd with 52k miles, have had the transmission go out 2 times in the last 6 weeks, the dealer said it was a bearing failure. Anybody aware if this is a known defect? Anybody else have trans problems? I have loved this SUV but I am starting to have concerns about this problem.
  • sanantonio1sanantonio1 Member Posts: 8
    I bought a Surburban 1500 yesterday, will go in and sign final finance paperwork tonight.

Question, they are offering a GM Protection Plan Major Guard, for $820 for 24 thousand miles. We put about 20-25 K miles a year. Is this a good price for such a plan, I was told by the finance manager that all those plans on the internet are either in bankruptcy or in receivership, so their prices are suspect. Anyone have any insight? thanks...
    I got an aftermarket extended warranty for my 2000 XL which gives me 5 years 150K miles .
    However I would only go with a GM warranty in the future, as I have has some problems recently and they claim everything is at factory specs even the engine knock, I also have a terrible antifreeze leak which they can't find, and the aftermarket company is not authorizing the dealer to open the engine and find it , where as a GM factory would cover it (at least accoeding to my dealer),Which also answers the life expectancy of these trucks, I don't believe they are well made and thankfully mine's a lease , that i wanted to buy but I guess I'll get a newer one...
    Doesn't go over 100K miles. Did you say you have a lease and 110k miles? That mileage penalty will be enormous....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I also have a terrible antifreeze leak which they can't find, and the aftermarket company is not authorizing the dealer to open the engine and find it...

I'm confused. Why does the dealer need authorization from an aftermarket company to open the engine?

And, the only leaks I know of that are hard to find can hardly be called terrible. The slow leaks are the ones that are hard to find. To me, terrible implies something bordering on gushing which should be rather conspicuous.

Perhaps you mean terrible in the sense that it's hard to find and you aren't characterizing the leak itself. But then, a terrible leak ... that's hard to find would be redundant.

tidester, host
    I was trying to answer the 2 posts about an extended warranty and the other post where a guy had 110K miles on his truck and wanted to know how far he'll get out of it.I do not have 110k on my truck.I bought the extended aftermarket warranty because I had planned on buying my truck afetr the lease was up, however due to the TERRIBLE leak( I need to add 4 cups of antifreeze a week) and I call it TERRIBLE, when you drive a 2 year old $40,000 truck and it has problems.the aftermarket warranty company is not going to cover opening the engine if the mechanoc can not give an accurate diagnosis now of where exactly the antifreeze problem lies.
    Thanks for the clarification! Apparently, I missed a few details from the earlier discussion - so many posts, so little time! ;-)

tidester, host
  • richphillipsrichphillips Member Posts: 36
    If the anti freeze isn't leaking out onto the floor or ground, you might look at whether it's going through the engine, with a bad head gasket, or check inside the right front passenger footwell, to see if it's leaking out of the heater core inside. You getting that sweet smell, when you turn on the heat? That's a sign its the heater core. It's frustrating when they won't authorize tear down. I hear a lot of complaints like this and it seems like buying the GM warranty does help, but not always. Some of the warranties aren't worth the paper their printed on.
    I know they can add a special dye to oil to see where it is leaking under special light. Can they do that with coolant as well?

One option is to get the thing figured out and fixed and then go after the warranty company for reimbursement....

By the way, which warranty company is it?
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    resque84--you can't have Stabilitrak on w/o AWD, but you can have it the other way around, i.e., AWD w/ Stabilitrak off. And no, IIRC Stabilitrak is (automatically?) disabled when in 4LO.

As far as the temp mirror issue--jgmilberg is correct; dealer has ordered a replacement mirror. Hopefully by replacing it, the dealer won't wind up breaking something else, like OnStar...it never fails--you fix one thing but wind up breaking something else in the process.

Also will have the fog switch/rear wiper jump and the BCM battery drain issues taken care of at the same time the mirror is replaced...
  • shopper123shopper123 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to the board, but I was hoping someone could help me. My husband and I are trying to decide between the '03 Suburban LT v. Yukon XL and I was wondering what any opinions or preferences were for either one and what the main differences were between them were.
    Also, I have an offer from a GM dealer to sell the Yukon XL w/ 1SD package, plus Stabilitrack, Side Airbags, DVD entertainment center, 2nd row bucket leather seats for $39,000. This is about $850 below invoice. This was only a quote based on a hypothetical vehical as one with those exact specs was not available on the lot. They say they can get it in. Does this sound like a good price? Thanks for any help or advice.
    They are about the same. Asthetics and option groupings are the biggest difference.
  • walleyebobwalleyebob Member Posts: 1
    I'm a first time contributor to this discussion, but have thoroughly enjoyed reading through all 2700+ discussions about Suburbans and Yukon XLs. About a month ago I purchased my 2nd Sub, a 98 LS, 1500, 5.7L, 4x4, 3.73 gear ratio, locking differential. Has only 38,000mi and seems to be in really good shape (visually anyway). My first Sub was a '90 2wheel drive, 350. Would appreciate any insight other's have on: (1) Is there anything in particular (e.g. recurring problems with transmission or engine, history of poor gas mileage, history of oil burning, etc.) about the '98 model Sub I should be aware of? (Two days after taking possession I discovered coolant leak on garage floor, and after taking it back twice to dealer, and once to my personal mechanic, found out it was a leaking gasket between the intake manifold and the block--is this a common problem?. No other problems--yet.)
    (2) Having never owned a 4x4 before, is there anything in particular I need to be looking out for in terms of the 4 wheel drive mechanism or any other associated concerns that may be different from what's needed on a 2wheel drive rig?
    (3) Previous owner kept tires (all 4) at 32lbs pressure to provide for smoother ride. Claimed he never carried heavy loads. Sticker inside door recommends keeping tires at 45 lbs pressure. Under conditions of light load, is it really a major hazard to keep the tires underinflated by this much? Tires are Firestone Steeltex, most likely the originals, and they seem to be evenly worn with lots of good tread remaining. Are these Firestone tires really all that bad safety-wise? Seems like many contributors to this discussion don't have much good to say about Firestones.

I've got several more questions but I'll cut this off at three for my first entry. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
  • lexlanlexlan Member Posts: 10
    $850 below invoice is a pretty good deal especially if you twin that with the 0% financing. I just paid about the same for similar 2003 less the DVD option. I personally like the GMCs better. They seem to have a dressier trim and since there are less of them on the road, seem more unique.
  • rbfrazerrbfrazer Member Posts: 3
    I have a 02 Chev 1500 with 2nd row captain chairs. I am disappointed with the amount these seats will recline. My wife and kids all would like to have seats recline more. Is there any adjustment that could be done to allow the seats to recline further back?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    You might want to consider that the seat belts are not effective when the seats are reclined too far because the passenger will slide out in a collision (well documented) so GM may have considered that in designing the seats.
  • jak13jak13 Member Posts: 1
    I am a first time contributer to this post. I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 Suburban 2500 LT 4X4. It has 28,000 miles and everything you could want on a vehicle (leather, heated seats, towing package, premium sound system, moon roof, etc...)and is in excellent condition (well maintained). I have never owned a Suburban but want one do to the need for more space for kids,their friends and stuff. I don't believe I will use the 4 wheel drive much and all of the other horns and whistles but I think I am getting a good deal on the vehicle ($27,000). I currently have an Explorer and it is not big enough for all of the people I hawl around. I would appreciated any input about the Suburbans concerning maintainence customer satisfaction, etc..
  • dshererdsherer Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 92 Suburban in decent condition. I am missing two different types of internal light bulbs. The map lights on the ceiling center console and the map lights on the sides of the two dome lights (above the back seat and above rear hatch). I have not been able to locate either the correct replacement part number or a company to purchase these from. I have not yet taken the time to visit my local Chevy dealer due to geographic distance. Does anybody have any websites/catalogs for me to contact to order these light bulbs?
  • nyawkpatnyawkpat Member Posts: 1
    HI FOLKS..I AM ABOUT TO PURCHASE A CHEVY 1500 LS SUBURBAN OR POSSIBLY TWO.THE VEHICLES HAVE BETWEEN 70-80,OO0 MILES WERE USED AS EXECUTIVE TRANSPORTATION AND ARE IN VG TO EXCELLENT COND.ONE OF THE VEHICLES RECENTLY DEVELOPED PROBLEMS IN THE FRONT AXEL AND THE OWNER IS TELLING ME THEY WANT TO SELL IT AS IS TOW IT AWAY,THE OTHER ONE IS STILL BEING USED BUT THEY TELL ME HAS DEVELOPED A TRANSMISSION LOAD CLUNK BETWEEN SECOND AND THIRD GEAR.THIS COMPANY IS STRAIGHTFORWARD AND HONEST I KNOW THEM BUT THEY ARE NOT KNOWLEDGABLE AT ALL ABOUT THESE VEHICLES.I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A SUBURBAN AND THESE TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL.ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT OR HOW MAJOR A DEAL THESE PROBLEMS ARE.I AM GOING TO BE OFFERED A PRICE ON THE ONE WITH THE FRONT DRIVE WHEEL PROBLEM IN A COUPLE OF DAYS..PROBABLY IN TH 8-10,000$ RANGE.THESE VEHICLES I NOTICED HAVE A MANUALLY ENGAGED 4 WHEEL DRIVE LEVER ON THE FLOOR.ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE ARE APPRECIATED...NYAWKPAT
    Welcome aboard!

I think you'll get more replies if you turn off your caps lock! It's easier on the eyes.

tidester, host
  • looramlooram Member Posts: 17
    Would anyone know what the city/highway milage is on a 2003 2500(3/4 ton) Suburban. I am looking to buy one but am unable to find any info on the 6.0 or the 8.1 liter engines.
  • bmn_dadbmn_dad Member Posts: 1
    I am also looking at whether to get a 6L or 8.1L engine in my new Suburban and would appreciate any input on th tradeoffs. While peopl typically don't buy these for the mileage, it is usually available. While I struggled to find any mileage info, I did eventually find a reference that the 6L is rated at 12/16 mpg (city/hwy) and the 8.1L is rated at 11/15 mpg. Hope this helps.
  • jeffmckinneyjeffmckinney Member Posts: 1
    Hi,my suburban intermittently will not shift into 3rd,at first i thought it was temp related,but yesterday after filter,fluid change it did it when warm(190-200),fluid level is correct,any ideas?
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    you might want to check out GM's Technical Service Bulletin's with your dealer..... we have two '01 Subns... my wife's had very noticable hard shifting from 1-2 and 3-4... the dealer re-programmed the tranny computer per the TSB.. haven't had a problem since... that might be your problem...
  • jacondrajacondra Member Posts: 2
    Anyone had any problems with front wheel bearings on 2WD Yukon XL's? I've got a 2001 Yukon XL with 50K miles and the right front wheel bearing disintegrated with no warning. Local dealers cannot get a replacement bearing assembly nor can after-market parts stores get the bearing. I have called the GMC Customer Assistance line and was told that there are no bearing assemblies available, but they are in production. However, they cannot give an estimate of when I could get a bearing. Who ever heard of company building a truck, but not having parts available 2 + years after the manufactured date?
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    They can get the part direct from the factory or the part supplier directly, but it can take some time, if the warehouse doesn't carry the part. That is not a part that a lot of people have been having or there would be an aftermarket part available. If you took it to the dealer they will only use GM issue parts. They will not use a part from an aftermarket supplier like Auto Zone because it is not tested by GM to work on your truck. Call another dealer and see if they can get the part, if the other dealer can get it tell the dealer that you can get the part elsewhere why can't they get one for you.
  • rluders2rluders2 Member Posts: 7
    Three time I posted the problems and edmunds did not post it. Lets get with it Edmunds. rluders2
    Posted it where? Did you submit a review or something?

Steve, Host
  • rluders2rluders2 Member Posts: 7
    This is the fourth time I am posting this message since Edmunds apparently lost the other messages!

Has anyone heard pronounced popping noises in the exhaust system after cold start up? And has anyone heard loud banging noises in exhaust system after hot shut down?

GM has no fix for these problems and calls the noises normal. what a joke! Lets hear your esperiences.
    Oh yeah, I did see a note about somes files being deleted from our servers today. I was out skiing and didn't notice :-) Apologies!

There's at least one older message in this discussion about a similar problem, but I don't see any replies to it off-hand (found with the Advanced Search tool):

lumpman Jun 22, 2001 11:03pm

Steve, Host
    rluders,

I actually saw your earlier postings and have no clue where they have gone. If it's any consolation, one of mine got dropped too. :-(

tidester, host
    My DXL made a sound like the note of the horn when the key fib is used about 2 minutes after it was shut down. Turned out to be the muffler popping after a slight cool down after shut off. They replaced the muffler and the problem is gone....
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    is normal. it has to do with the heat shields under the truck cooling down