Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Looking for imput on this current information. BMW X3.

aussiemomaussiemom Member Posts: 29
edited January 2014 in BMW

Hello! Narrowing new car search. Looking at this downed DEMO. Haven't started negotiating, but wanted to get thoughts about the current sale price, indicated lease price and terms.

2014 X3 xDrive 28i SAV
MSRP: $47,875
Sale Price: $ 42,986
Current Miles: 5,778
10k/36mos. - Cap. Cost $3,000 plus tax, title, etc.
Monthly Payment: $498

Space Gray Metallic
Sand Beige Leather
Cold Weather Pkg.
Premium Pkg.
Moonroof,
Navi.
BMW Apps.
Security System

How much room do I have to negotiate price? I'd like to negotiate the vehicle price before I get to the monthly payment and money due at signing? I guess now would be the time to ask about what the current MF & RES Value would be for 12k & 36mos.

Thank you very much!!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

.00130 MF and 57% residual... Assuming the car is eligible for the new car program. Even then, the residual will be reduced by (5278 X $0.30) = $1583.

So, just to break even vs. leasing a brand new unit, you'll have to negotiate a price that is $1583 less than a comparable new model.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aussiemomaussiemom Member Posts: 29

The list is under new car specials, but it also indicates (Pre-Owned) after listing face page description.
    So, if I'm understanding you correctly, if not PLEASE correct me. It would be better to negotiate a brand spankin' new X3 unless they are truly considering this a "new" vehicle?
    I'm sure you know the line "explain this to me like I'm a 3rd grader." I just want to make sure I get it before I would do something that might be more painful than necessary for 3 years! :-)

Thanks kyfdx! How's your weather in the UP! I think I read you are in the Michigan UP? We down South here in Michigan have been spoiled by very tempered winters. Mother Nature is making up for it this year! These are the winters I remember as a kid. Wow, I've turned into a sissy! Maui here I come....I wish, lol! Thanks again!

Plenty of demo and BMW corporate vehicles qualify for the new car program, but the residual has to be adjusted for the mileage that is on the vehicle, so the discount has to be substantial. If the lease payment is the same as a brand-new one, there is no point in getting the demo..

That said, we leased a demo X3 in 2008, and saved about $50/mo over a comparable new model... so, it can be done...

That's my fellow host, Steve, that is in the UP... I'm pretty sure the weather sucks there about 8 months per year.. But, it was 4 below zero this morning in Cincinnati, so I don't have much to brag about, either... ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi kyfdx! Going back to the BMW dealer tomorrow hopefully to put to rest our new vehicle lease. At lease that is our hope. :)
    So the MF is .00130 & Resid. on the above "Demo" that is loaded up. Should we decide based on discount on the Demo, etc., that it doesn't make sense, what is the MF & Resid. on 2014 X3 $45,858 with Premium Pkg., & Cold Weather Pkg.?
    Our salesman seems to be pushing us toward the 2014 328i GT No Line (meaning M Line, Lux Line Same Pkgs. as X3). So not sure if it doesn't lease out as well, not as many around so there is more of a premium price or what? Any thoughts on that? How 'bout MF & Resid. on the 328i GT?

We come from a GM Family. I hate the thought of going in a different direction, but I just haven't been happy with products. And the ones we like even with our GMS discounts and negotiating....it just leaves a me sour. I guess I'll see if I'm sour with BMW tomorrow too! Hopefully the end of the month will help, lol!

Have a good night!
    Nellie

2014 X3 28i 36mo, 15K/yr lease.

.00130 MF and 54% residual. $500 option credit and $500 drive credit.

2014 328i GT xDrive 36mo, 15K/yr lease

.00130 MF and 58% residual. $500 and $500, as well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If we go 12k, by how much does it change the Residual?

Add 2% to go from 15K/yr to 12K/yr..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@aussiemom, forget Maui, got anybody down under we can both go visit? The high today on "da Lake" topped out at 0 °F and I'm dead tired from shoveling every day. Good luck at the BMW dealer tomorrow!

Hey Steve! I can't wait for the 24 degrees their talkin' about (I'm just outside of Clarkston) by Thursday! I've got my flip flops ready! :) My shovel is tired of shoveling! Maui, down under, just about anywhere there is warm and I am packed and ready to go!

@kyfdx Thank you! Keepin' fingers crossed for very sharp pencils at the BMW dealer tomorrow! ;-)

@kyfdx-went to BMW today. Even after being referred to this dealership through friends of a GM in the company, I had to go through the whole sales thing. So, X3 Money Factor of .00170 & Residual of 57% & payment of $637. I said hold on about the MF and he reduced it to .00140. But not the residual. 36mo. 12k w/ $2000 out of pocket $598.37. Of course there was $1100 dollar rebate and vehicle was discounted from 46,535 to 43,....I was told there was only about $900 left in the deal, and F&I guy wouldn't budge on anymore discount. Sale Mngr. was off so no head person to go to other than F&I guy. Even if I put another $1,000 down, it would only change the price by maybe $20? What am I missing here? Other than not leasing a BMW! :(

edited January 2014

.00130 MF and 56% residual for 36mo, 12K/yr on the X3... If I quoted 57% before, I was mistaken..

Is the $43,000 selling price after all deductions for rebates, credits, etc.? If so, the payment is pretty close. Assume that the $2000 is: 1st payment, $725 acquisition fee, dealer doc fee, title/registration.... then the payment should be around $567 + tax at .00140 and 56%...

And..not that this is necessarily relevant to your situation.... but, I find that "knowing the GM", or being referred by a good customer.. does absolutely nothing to help your cause in getting a good deal. I feel that in most cases, it just lulls you into a false sense of security that they won't try to maximize their profit on the deal. I did have that work out for me once on an Audi, but it was so expensive to lease, that the $1000 I saved by being a "friend of the owner" still didn't make it cheap enough for me to pull the trigger.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx: In the words of my great niece, I'm in agree-ance! Out of the mouth of babe's. Back to the drawing board! Thanks for all your assistance! I'm sure I may be back!! Have a great night! :)

@kyfdx: Any chance there is a change in BMW X3 leasing program for February? I've been told by a less than trust worthy dealer that they've stayed the same. Just trying to keep them honest! :)

@aussiemom said:
    kyfdx: Any chance there is a change in BMW X3 leasing program for February? I've been told by a less than trust worthy dealer that they've stayed the same. Just trying to keep them honest! :)

Money factor and residual are the same. Option and Drive credits went to $1500 from $1000 in Janauary.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kim4ofuskim4ofus Member Posts: 2

Here is the current X3 xDrive28i lease deal for my area (KS). Is this kind of Manufacturer Lease negotiable?

Well-equipped with Premium Package (Moonroof, Leather, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Lumbar Support, Ambient Lighting), Heated Front Seats, Power Tailgate and Destination charges.
    $459*/month for 36 months. $500 Option Allowance is included in payment.
    • $459 First months payment
    • $3,000 Down payment
    • $0 Security Deposit
    • $725 Acquisition fee
    • $4,184 Cash due at signing

MSRP of $44,425.00 Residual of $25,322.00 10K Mileage per year

Thanks!

@kyfdx: just received offer from BMW dealer on X3 28i with Cold Weather, Prem. Pkg. & Driver Awareness Pkg. Has to get from Missouri to get our color options to the tune of $4-500.
    36mo./12k
    MF: .00155 & Resid. 56%
    $879.54 due @ signing / $619.10 per month
    I indicated that the money factor seemed a bit high, and he said $500 in reserve and $495 over invoice. Your thoughts please, and Thank you!

@aussiemom said:
    kyfdx: Any chance there is a change in BMW X3 leasing program for February? I've been told by a less than trust worthy dealer that they've stayed the same. Just trying to keep them honest! :)

Money factor and residual are the same. Option and Drive credits went to $1500 from $1000 in Janauary.> @kim4ofus said:

Here is the current X3 xDrive28i lease deal for my area (KS). Is this kind of Manufacturer Lease negotiable?

Well-equipped with Premium Package (Moonroof, Leather, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Lumbar Support, Ambient Lighting), Heated Front Seats, Power Tailgate and Destination charges.
    $459*/month for 36 months. $500 Option Allowance is included in payment.
    • $459 First months payment
    • $3,000 Down payment
    • $0 Security Deposit
    • $725 Acquisition fee
    • $4,184 Cash due at signing

MSRP of $44,425.00 Residual of $25,322.00 10K Mileage per year

Thanks!

If you shop around, you can usually do better than the advertised deal. But, beware... the offers can definitely be worse than the advertised deal, as well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@aussiemom said:
    kyfdx: just received offer from BMW dealer on X3 28i with Cold Weather, Prem. Pkg. & Driver Awareness Pkg. Has to get from Missouri to get our color options to the tune of $4-500.
    36mo./12k
    MF: .00155 & Resid. 56%
    $879.54 due @ signing / $619.10 per month
    I indicated that the money factor seemed a bit high, and he said $500 in reserve and $495 over invoice. Your thoughts please, and Thank you!

Finance managers like to markup money factors, because they can cut the sales price, leaving less commission to the salesperson, and more for the finance department. Plus, the vehicle "appears" to be lower priced.

The markup adds about $20/mo. to the lease. It's hard to do a calculation without the MSRP and selling price...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx: MSRP $46,575. Rats, forgot to ask about sell price....my brain is scrambled!

The payment is probably about right... Other than the money factor markup, it seems "fair". The lease program is just not that great on the X3. So, even a great deal from the dealer is going to result in a mediocre lease payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx: Welp, I think I finally hit rock bottom on the X3 $46,575 MSRP
    $599
    $851 Due
    36/12k
    Even though I know this is a pretty good deal, I don't know if I can write a $600 car note every month! My bad.....!

So, if the X3 program isn't strong, is the better lease the 328i xDrive? If so, would this include the GT? If true, what would the MF & Resid / 36/12k.

Thanks! :)

@Kim4ofus: Hi from the delightfully cold State of Michigan!! I'm sure by now you've read as many recent posts on leasing an X3 that are available. I've been negotiating this vehicle for it feels like forever and a lot (not all dealers) can be difficult. The best suggestion I can pass on to you is not to automatically come out from the start with lot's of money out of pocket... especially when leasing. Again, just keep reading posts here at Edmund's, and keep asking questions as everyone is very helpful.

Good Luck!

@aussiemom said:
    kyfdx: Welp, I think I finally hit rock bottom on the X3 $46,575 MSRP
    $599
    $851 Due
    36/12k
    Even though I know this is a pretty good deal, I don't know if I can write a $600 car note every month! My bad.....!

So, if the X3 program isn't strong, is the better lease the 328i xDrive? If so, would this include the GT? If true, what would the MF & Resid / 36/12k.

Thanks! :)

Residuals are 59% for the 328i xDrive Station wagon and sedan. 60% for the 328i xDrive GT, so definitely better than the X3.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Is money factor the same for 328i GT .00130 for 2/2014? I think that is the drift I'm getting from other posts, but want to be sure. Thanks!

Yes.. .00130 for all models

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator