Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

If I paid $6500 would it be a ripoff? 2001 Subaru Forester

everywhereeverywhere Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Subaru

Hi, I'm trying to buy my first car and found this 01 Forester with 60k miles on a dealer's site. They're asking for $8000 but they might take my offer of $6500 plus taxes and fees. I'm just not sure if 6500 is still too much or not. It's got such a low mileage but it's pretty old, I don't know if 6500 clams could get me something better or not. Please tell me, is this a fair deal?

The car report checks out clean.

Comments

• rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115

Plug all your information about the car on the Kelley Blue Book and see what it comes up with.

• everywhereeverywhere Member Posts: 2

Well, with all of the options that the dealer listed, kbb says 6800 so I guess that's that as long as it's in good shape.

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

Check the head gaskets for oil seepage!!!

• kmart00kmart00 Member Posts: 28

pay for subcription to galves.com. That will tell you dealer trade in value--much much more accurate than kbb

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2014

This article may help:

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?.

You can also appraise it here.

Galves may help tell you what the dealer paid for it, but not surprisingly, dealers want to sell for retail.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited April 2014

@dcm61 said:
    Check the head gaskets for oil seepage!!!

I SECOND THIS OPINION!!
    That era of 4-cylinder Subaru engines has a history of head-gasket problems. They can fail in several ways.

*)Oil leaking from head.

*)Oil getting into antifreeze.

*) Antifreeze getting into oil.

*) antifreeze getting into cylinders.

The ONLY real way to test the head gaskets is with leakdown test with hot engine.

Dont get me wrong - All of my current vehicles are Subaru and I LOVE them. If you get a good one, it will run over 200,000 miles with little more than oil-changes for maintenance.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Head Gaskets! HEAD GASKETS! If you don't get a pre-purchase inspection on this car, you are asking for trouble.