Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Auto Shows

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited January 2014 in General

Detroit will be the first "major" show of the season. Sorry Boston, don't mean to leave you out but the New England show doesn't get near the press that Detroit, Chicago and LA do.

Anyone going? To any of them?

Comments

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

If I'm in an area and have time I'll stop by one. Any news on what will be unveiled in NY this year?

• Options

Only thing I've seen on the site so far has been about the Detroit show.

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

The 2014 Philadelphia Auto Show is scheduled for Saturday, February 8th thru Sunday, February 16th, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Looks like the title needs to be tweaked but here's the 2014 Auto Show Calendar.

• Options

"Buoyed by a strong final day, attendance at this year’s North American International Auto Show climbed above 800,000 visitors for the first time since 2003.

The total ticketed attendance of the 2014 show was 803,451. That included the 102,153 who braved snowy, slick roads today to visit the final day of the show."

Auto show attendance tops 800,000 for first time since 2003 (Detroit Free Press)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174

I might attend Vancouver this spring, if the weather is nice. It used to be a lot bigger and cooler than the Seattle show, but a few years ago they scaled it back a bit.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,299

Cincinnati: 19th-23rd.. I'll be there at some point.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited March 2014

Went to the Vancouver show yesterday. Sat in quite a few cars. Was most impressed by the Q50 - it felt really nice,and the design wasn't as dull and dated as previous models. I might have to drive one sometime. Also saw the A3 sedan - people griping about the CLA interior need to check this thing out - same difference to me, and I swear the entire sunroof assembly is identical to the new Golf. New Chrysler 200 looks nice, Kia K900 was roped off, there was a Spark in a non-metallic pastel blue that would look right on a 54 Chevy, Lincoln area looked like an early 60s modern house, BMW must have had 20 models on the floor, with MB close behind. Lots of interesting stuff.

Some photo highlights:

First, the kind of freaky Ford robot (next to the kind of neat new van)

Plug it in

Plug it in

I like these more than new Ferraris, more of an upstart brand, and less dbaggy image and corporate ethic:

And some forbidden fruit for people in the US -

Micra - Canadians love cheap cars, it was hard to get a time when people weren't swarming over it:

New style Rondo - I don't mind these, kind of French in a way:

Updated B-class - kind of a Mazda 5 at twice the price, but I like them:

SWB S-class - maybe for the US later:

Power folding mirrors in an E-class - not available in Murica:

And I just like the color:

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

I'll add a comment on the Kia Rondo. Friend who has a new Sorento got a Rondo as a loaner while he was getting warranty work done. He says the Rondo even has an electronic parking brake. Not sure why an economy car like this needs so much tech, especially for a parking brake. Just more stuff to service down the road (the electronic e brakes on Maserati QP's we had at my previous work would almost always fail, needing a reset in the shop).

Fun fact regarding MB window switches: they're exactly the same as ones used in Chrysler products. But then so are the Nav systems in Ferrari Californias. Same unit, with even same background picture as in Chrysler products.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options

I wonder how the BMW electric brakes are holding up - I've driven a couple of them as German rentals. I like how my E has a floor brake - just like on an old American car.

Garmin makes those nav units, right? I am not surprised at the MB/Chrysler stuff, going back to the W210 basis of the 300.

• Options

Actually I think it's an Alpine made unit believe it or not.

• Options

There's a good brand from the old days.

Oh, something else at the show I thought was amusing, an automatic WRX.

• Options

Alpine, Pioneer, Denon; the vintage car audio actually pulls some decent coin these days if it's in working condition. Especially for those doing restomods of early 90s import tuners.

Automatic WRX is an oddball indeed.

• Options

I never thought of that, early 90s tuner stuff being restored. I know old German radios can be worth something, the fintail's radio is worth a little. Maybe in another 10 years there will be a show for all of the lowered Civics and mini trucks from the early 90s.

• Options

I think there already is a group in your area, displaying Hondas from the 80s, with some mild tuning with period correct mods.

• Options

I like some 80s Euro tuned cars - like AMG and Koenig. By the time the 90s import stuff rolled around, I mostly mocked it. I don't remember much tuning going on until the late 80s mini truck fad, but then when the 92 Civic came, everything went crazy.

• Options

Yes I remember too. I went to the first few Hot Import Night shows in LA, and still have a bunch of Sports Compact Car and Import Tuner magazines, including first two full years of Import Tuner. I had doubles and sold the first 3 issues of Import Tuner on eBay for about $50 a pop a couple years ago.

• Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666

Motor Trend: 2014 New York Auto Show: Editors’ Best, Worst Picks

The new Mustang was a showstopper in Detroit. Now, marking the car’s 50th birthday in the city it was first shown required something special. Ford delivered with a car that hits all of the nostalgic touchstones while keeping the car firmly planted in the future. The Wimbledon White paint, which will only be on the 1964 models built, just adds to this car’s special place in history. How can you not like it?

WORST
    Chevy Trax

Someone from Chevrolet snuck into a Buick dealership and stole the Encore. Chevy should give it back. While Buick executives say they don’t mind and they’ll be just fine, the simple fact that General Motors has returned to rebadging vehicles is a bad sign. The car will likely be fine: the Encore certainly is. But there’s a reason “Old GM” went bankrupt.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Maybe GM hired some Ford Lincoln execs B)