Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

1717273747577»

Comments

• skeeter281skeeter281 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    Hi, I have a similar issue with the moisture in the passenger side headlight. I took it to the dealer when there was moisture but the headlight was still working. The service advisor told me that it was $1500 to replace the headlight and since it was still working, I should just wait til it blows out before I change it. Fair enough. Well, it's a year later and the headlight isn't working but the daytime running light and the high beam is working. I've since moved to a different state and when I took it to my new local dealer to get the headlight fixed, they said is $3000 to fix it and that it's not the bulb, its the ECU in the headlight. I asked them if this can be caused by moisture in the headlight and they said yes. I told them about the previous service visit regarding the moisture and they had it in my maintenance records that I brought it in to deal with the moisture. I called Lexus HQ and told them the situation and they're supposed to get back to me on whether they'll cover all/some/none of the repair.

So, my questions are, 1) Does this sound right?, 2) Is this something I can fix on my own? (I have no problem getting a service manual and taking the car apart assuming I know exactly what I have to change.) 3) Should I take it to a non-Lexus repair shop to save money? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There are only 2 components that are likely to have failed, the HID bulb itself or the bulb ballast(/ECU?). Both an easy DIY and less than $100 for both on Ebay.
    Thanks for the info. The dealership said they swapped out the bulb and it didn't work so it's the ECU/ballast. They wanted to charge me $3k to fix it though. That's my biggest complaint about Lexus, love the car for the most part but any service from the dealership is EXTREMELY overpriced.

Anyone know/use a reputable seller on eBay on a regular basis? Thanks again.
    One other question, I just got a part quote or a ballast for $1138 from Lexus. How isn't that I can get one online for $100 but they charge $1100+? Should I look for a certain brand name or anything wen I buy one online? Thanks again. (I guess that's 2 questions)
  • darrenlaradedarrenlarade Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Just nputting in my 2 cents. I have an 04 RX330 that I purchased new at the end of 2003. The vehicle has 216,000 miles and all is well. It has been the cheapest vehicle for me to maintain. The secret is to take your lexus to Toyota. It is basically a Highlander. I buy my own mobil 1 synthetic on sale at costco and the dealer just charges me for the filter and labor. My vehicle needed a new radiator a while back but other than that it has been trouble free. i only do the required maintenance. Timing belt every 105000 miles.
    Good luck
  • andy3130andy3130 Member Posts: 1
    Just stay up on the maintenance, and there shouldn't be any costly repairs. Find a good mechanic outside of the stealer/dealer. Oxygen sensors tend to start going bad, not a biggy, just replace the defective one, not all four as mechanics will try to talk you into. If one goes bad, it could be a year or more before the next one goes bad. Flush cooling system every 3 years not 5, and replace the thermostat too. Lexus dealers are just notoriously expensive, charging 300% over the MSRP for parts, then the labor, ouch. I've owned multiple high mileage Lexus vehicles, truly amazing cars, but I'm a mechanic and do my own work and as with all Toyotas, they are easy to work on. Toyota spends more on engineering under the hood than most manufacturers spend on an entire car.
  • jtcarter14jtcarter14 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone give me a tutorial on the which, if any, Lexus RX 330's have a 3rd row? I am looking in the 2005-2007 ish range. I'm open to other options, but need something with a luxury type driver's seat and that drives really well due to health issues. Easy acceleration and a powerful engine really help with not having to press the gas pedal so hard like I have to do in my Hyundai Veracruz. I drive my husband's '04 Acura TL sometimes, and it feels much better - the engine/gas pedal part and the way the seat is angled and adjusts as well. We have a family of 6, so we can't all fit in a regular 5 seater.
    Searching online, it appeared as though the RX 330 can come with a 3rd row, but I haven't even been able to find a picture of the 3rd row on Google images. I'm starting to wonder if it exists. I'm at the shopping online point, so I haven't had the opportunity to go look in person. Small town with no Lexus dealer as well.
    Please help. Thanks!!
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    To the best of my knowledge the RX330 never had a 3rd row.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Right, I think the manufacturer delineated RX series vehicles specifically as agile 5-seaters. I don't believe there ever has been a third row option for the RX. The closest related vehicle is the Highlander, which was available with a third-row option.
  • mckmemckme Member Posts: 1

2005 LEXUS RX 330 - Transmission "LAG"... I bought mine new, and within 30k started noticing a hesitation in acceleration between 1st and 2nd gear? Dealership could never "find" the problem...and said I just needed a software update. Software update did nothing. On a website called RepairPal - apparently the 2004-2007 RX models ALL HAVE THIS TRANSMISSION DEFECT due to the original design and there is NO FIX FOR IT! A LEXUS dealership repair guy actually told me that! And his suggestion was to buy a 2008 model or newer. Mine now is 9 yrs. old, 105k miles - and has otherwise had no problems. I do feel LEXUS should be held accountable for poor design however!