Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are American Cars Coming Back In Favor?

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
edited April 2010 in Ford
According to an article in the current Detroit Free Press, the answer is yes. The 2 page article begins as follows:

"WASHINGTON -- America's love affair with the automobile has a new spark -- a renewed affection for U.S.-made cars after a long dalliance with foreign automakers.

Slightly more Americans now say the U.S. makes better-quality vehicles than Asia does, with 38% saying U.S. cars are best and 33% naming autos made by Asian countries, according to an Associated Press-GfK Poll.

The survey suggests those numbers are largely fueled by a plunge in Toyota's reputation and an upsurge in Ford's. The poll was conducted in March, as Toyota was being roiled by nightmarish publicity over its recall of more than 8 million vehicles around the globe and allegations that it responded sluggishly to safety concerns..."

I happy to see that Ford, GM and, to a lesser extent, at least for now, Chrysler, are showing solid signs of turning around. I'd also strongly consider an American brand for my next car purchase, because I think the domestics are competitive now.

How do you feel about it? Would you buy domestic brand?

Comments

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Absolutely, I would! American cars have never fell out of favor with me. I'd buy another Cadillac or Buick in a New York second! :shades:
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited April 2010
    Not yet I wouldn't buy one because no one has proven their long term reliability yet, except for maybe the Ford Fusion which is approaching the 4-5 year mark now. So other than maybe that, which so far has proven to be really reliable and quality vehicle. All the rest have time to prove themselves to me at least.
    If you all exactly looked closely at the specific tables of information from that poll you would see that there was not exactly that much of an increase from the American automaker preference in Dec 06 and then again last month when they asked again.

If you look at CAR3a table you'll see that the ACTUAL car makers people reported being in their garage at that time actually went down for domestic automakers (60% down to 56%) between Dec 06 and Mar 10 while foreign automakers remained the same (37%). Ford had no increase or decrease between 2006 and 2010, while GM had a drop of 7 from 2006 to 2010, while Chrysler had a drop of 4 from 2006 to 2010. This is the most telling graph in the poll since it counts THE ACTUAL vehicles people had in their garages when polled! What I don't understand is, AP used the one poll that went by COUNTRY, not by automakers, to say that people perfer cars from the US over Asia, yet this table of actual automakers in the garage of consumers would prove otherwise? Nothing change from 2006 to 2010 except the fact that their was a total drop in domestic automakers in people's garage from 2006 to 2010 while foreign automakers had no change.

In table CAR9, between Dec 06 and Mar 10 the people who would prefer to buy American cars rose 1 point (WOW) from 39 to 40, while foreign makers dropped a few points. Though it interesting that a good majority answered that it didn't matter (45) which automakers they had so those people could have put foreign past domestic possibly, or it could have work the other way. Even if you discount the large number of it doesn't matter folks, saying that American car preference rose by 1 lousy point in almost 4 years is really insignificant. If it rose by maybe 6-8 pts I might be more willing to say that means something but I don't think so with just a 1 point change.

Then in table CAR14, when they asked which car company produces the best quality vehicles, foreign automakers were almost 9 points higher than domestic with GM actually having a drop from 06 to 10 of 3 with Ford being the only one who remained the same from 06 to 10.

So my whole point is, there were several parts of the poll that showed foreign automakers leading the domestics in certain areas or that there was no change from 2006 of foreign automakers in people's garage. AP picked and choose the specific information they wanted to post that showed that domestic automakers had passed foreign automakers but if you actually take the time to look at all the tables you'll see that in actuality, that is not the case. It did show that their was a drop across all poll questions in some confidence in foreign automakers from 2006 to 2010, which is understandable considering the events of Toyota in the last few months. I find it interesting that they chose to do this poll right in the middle of all this pomp and circumstance right now, with the media blasting Toyota every other day and is fresh in people's mind. They had to know, that the unusual events with Toyota of the last several months would bias the normal avg joe away from saying that foreign makes were better. I think the results would have been substantially different had it been repolled in Jan 2009 or June 2009 when there was a much different situation in this country in the automotive industry.

What AP should have done, is waited to Dec 2010, when it would have been exactly 4 years since the first poll, and that way, this stuff with Toyota and paying for their mistakes would have been over by then, and every one would have been on a unbias playing field when polled. It would have been interesting to see if many months after this stuff with Toyota ended if indeed the American public was affected by it back toward American automakers rather than doing it right in the middle of the Toyota pomp and circumstance.

http://www.ap-gfkpoll.com/pdf/AP-GfK%20Poll%20March%202010%20CAR%20Topline.pdf
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Would you buy domestic brand?

Nope. They don't offer anything I want.
  • garv214garv214 Member Posts: 162
    Yes, I would definitely consider purchasing an American car again. I have owned primarily Japanese cars over the past 25 years, but am getting seriously interested in Ford's offerings. I value the sporty nature, fuel efficiency, and reliability of the Japanese cars that I have owned. However, recently, the Japanese models that I would consider to replace my current car have adopted...er...interesting... styles (Acura TSX and the Mazda3).

I recently saw some articles on the Ford Focus (which I would have bought back in 2001 but the 4 door hatchback had not made it to the US then...), which got me excited about Ford. I will likely continue driving my Protege5 for another couple of years, so I have some time before the big day arrives.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    American cars never really fell out of favor with me, since I tend to go for bigger cars, something that was traditionally a strong suit of the domestics.

However, I have found that as the Japanese cars got bigger and finally started offering what I'd call "true" midsized cars, I started considering them more and more. The first one that really caught my eye was the 2002 Nissan Altima.

One thing that I've found kind of odd is that, traditionally I liked the domestics because they were larger. But in midsized cars, these days, the Camry, Accord, and Altima feel to me like they're larger cars than the Fusion, Malibu, and Sebring!

Still, among the domestics I'd consider a Fusion, although I do like the Altima. If I wanted to go a bit bigger, I'd consider a Charger or 300, a Lucerne, or even a throwback like a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. The new LaCrosse is nice too, but I think I'd just prefer the extra room in the Lucerne, if I was gonna go the Buick route.

I find that, in my old age, I'm turning into a bit of a tightwad, so it's probably going to be used cars from here on out, unless I hit the lottery.
    I do have to say, of all the domestic auto mobiles I looked at and sat in at the auto show, the only one that peaked my interest and felt had comfortable seats was the Ford Fusion.

If its reliability keeps going the way it does, I might be considering it in a few years when I'm ready for another car! I can tell you if I was going to buy a hybrid sedan, the Fusion probably be it! I could not believe how much trunk room you got in the Fusion Hybrid. Usually you lose the trunk on hybrids and that is something you have to sacrifice but I didn't find that with the fusion.

I personally like the Fusion, Altima, and Sonata!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited April 2010
    from AP:

AP-GfK Poll: Americans shifting to US cars

Buy American? That's suddenly a good idea again to more car buyers. Toyota's safety problems and a buffed-up lineup of offerings from Detroit's Big 3 are rubbing the tarnish off car buyers' perceptions of U.S. models. An Associated Press-GfK Poll shows that 38 percent favor U.S. vehicles while 33 percent prefer Asian brands, a significant improvement for U.S. automakers compared to four years ago.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/04/21/national/w000531D81.- - DTL&type=autos

But then I noticed that everyone they quoted in the article was from the midwest! Kinda seemed like a sample designed to make it appear that domestics were on their way back.

As for me, I have noticed that we have pretty much reached the point where the Japanese are making only boring cars that are no more interesting or reliable than the domestics, for the most part. But would I buy one? Well, GM and Chrysler are out for life because of the bailouts.

But I just got signed up to be notified when my local Ford dealer gets Fiestas this summer, and I think in general Ford is so hot it's on fire. I am hoping against hope that the Fiesta and next-gen Focus are as good as they are supposed to be, and that they can eventually replace the Ranger with a proper compact truck. And maybe introduce a sport coupe more Miata-like than the Mustang....

I have a coworker that switched from Honda to Ford in '05 with an Escape purchase, and has just bought a new Fusion which she loves. She's certainly not looking back, and I think others will join her this year if the domestics really strike while the iron is hot.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "... GM and Chrysler are out for life because of the bailouts."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you in favor of the bailouts, at least somewhat?
    edited April 2010
    I was always vehemently opposed to the bailouts. Both GM and Chrysler were companies that deserved to meet their maker. Today their build and materials quality is either low (Chrysler) or inconsistent (GM), and they will never be in contention for my fleet.

Having said that, I do wish GM well with the Volt because I think it is an important technological step forward, just as the Leaf is for Nissan, even though I haven't owned their products since they were Datsun and probably never will again. And if Fiat ever starts to sell the Abarth 500 here, I may have to check it out even if I DO have to visit a Chrysler dealership to do so!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited April 2010
    I am getting closer and closer to considering a Ford product for later on. Mitsubishi and Suzuki have me firmly by my shorthairs right now...but ya never know. Ford has always been my automobile of choice.

Until the 1999 Kia Sephia became a daily part of my life. Then everything changed forever. Foa tha betta, brudders. :)

The key, though, ta enjoying my '99 Kia Sephia was getting the 70,000 mile Yokohama radial tires and those Konig Diva wheels. This was early in 2001. I bought the car in May of 1999. Made a huge difference in true driving enjoyment. The '99 Kia Sephia cost me a whopping $7,995 after a $2,000 manufacturers rebate.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Judging from sales and gains in market share in 2011, the domestic brands are being considered and purchased by an increasing number of buyers.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    How many of those are fleet sales though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The Tsunami also affected Toyota and Honda more than some other makes. I guess a few years down the road will tell whether these conversion sales back to D3 are retained. I'm hoping Detroit will have been able to capitalize, but my money wouldn't go against Japan.
    Good question, to which I don't have the answer. I did read, though, that the Detroit 3 have dialed back on fleet sales, and that a greater percentage of their production is for retail sales than before GM and Chrysler got bailed out. I don't know whether fleet sales are a greater percentage of total sales for the Detroit 3 than for the import brands, however.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Toyota was bailed out by its government, but for some this is ok??? Nissan was bailed out by Renault/French government.. but his is ok for some once again??

Yes, I believe there is a re-surgance in the American auto industry. In the 70/80's and part of the 90s Ford/GM/Dodge were not building vehicles to compete. It took a sledge hammer to wake the slumbering giants. Ford with its Mustang, Fusion, Focus, Fiesta, Taurus, Explorer lineup can go head to head with any manufacturer. GM with its Malibu, Cruze, and soon to be released Sonic. Not to forget the re-birth of Buick and Cadillac. Yes, Americans are taking notice that Americans can compete, Americans can build world class vehicles. This is just the beginning folks, the best is yet to come from AMERICAN auto manufacturers. The giants have awaken. ;)
    Just got a mailer from Cadillac for the upcoming XTS! Aaargh! Why did they send that to me? I just paid off my DTS Performance last year! I don't want a new car payment!
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Hay! How much you want for that DTS? :blush:
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I'm going to resist the XTS siren song for a bit and hold onto my DTS for a while longer. The DTS is still in like new condition. You'd be virtually getting a new car. It never sees rain or snow. I haven't driven it much this month due to this August being the wettest in Philadelphia history.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    What's the matter, those Caddies can't handle a little rain and hurricane like Irene? :P

I think driving through bad weather conditions builds character for the car. :)
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited August 2011
    No, the car is black and it's a ferocious PITA to detail it back to my satisfaction. It looks beautiful for all of ten minutes until the dust hits it. Add a little rain and it's Spot City.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'd have to drive it back your way every week for proper care......
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I go through a lot of Meguire's Quik Detailer!
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    What model yr, mileage, and sunroof?? My black 2006 Grand Prix GT is somewhat of a pain to keep clean for I get to the beach daily, lots of rain, and my monthly wash job is okay for it is garaged if not in use..Bought the wife 3 Caddys, all white with sunroofs, 91, 96 and 99..not too bad on reliability, but lose value quickly..

Mileages dumped 60k,95k, and 25k..

The B2+Chrysler are iffy and the Govt will set the path to recovery, and if the EPA gets real strict on their "mileage stds" then any turn around will be short-lived..In any effort to boost mileage, the industry will flood us with junk and hype..

The "good old days" are history unless the the "bozos in Washington are flushed..
    2007 Cadillac DTS Performance, 11,948 miles, sunroof. The color is the only thing I hate about it.
    edited September 2011
    While American cars have a long way to go before they recapture over 50% of the North American car market (excluding trucks), they're making gains. For example, the Chevy Cruze is the #1 selling compact for through August 2011, and the Ford Fusion is #3 in the midsize category, where the Malibu has also been a strong seller. Of course, now that Japan is recovering from the earthquake and tsunami, and is quickly restocking inventories, competition will intensify. Still, the important thing is product, and GM and Ford finally have strong entries, so they should continue to do well. At a minimum, they're back in the race, and can once again be taken seriously.

Chrysler remains a question mark. Their midsize cars, even after an extensive refresh, are still below best-in-class, and the Caliber hasn't been a popular compact. We'll have to wait until the 2012-2014 timeframe to assess whether the next generation Fiat-based Dodges and Chryslers can recapture significant market share. I think they'll have one shot at it. If they're well designed, attractively styled and have good quality they'll make it. If not, they're finished, in my opinion. I'm confident Sergio Marchionne understands this. The big question mark is whether he'll be able to execute on this challenge. My guess is that he will.

In the meantime, Toyota and Honda have demonstated that they're not infallible. Toyota had quality problems in '09 and '10, and Honda's reputation as a design leader has slipped significantly.

As always, the race for market share among the volume brands will be interesting to watch. Among the luxury brands, the Germans are reasserting their leadership. BMW is on track to take the #1 position from Lexus, and Audi is gaining market share. Acura seems to have lost its way, while Infiniti is holding its own, and gaining a little. Mercedes remains #3, after Lexus, but it's a tight race for the #2 spot.

Worldwide, GM will recapture the title of the world's largest automaker from Toyota in 2011.
    Consumers Reports was impressed by the improvements made to these two Chrysler cars, and moved them from bottom to mid-pact in the rankings for their respective class. Maybe this will help these once popular models to get a second win in 2012.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Here's the latest ranking of cars that are the most "American" ("American" limited to the US in this case) from the Kogod School of Business in DC. The F-150 leads the way, followed by the Corvette.

Made in America Auto Index

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094

Camry-lovers will contest that list. ;)

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

I tried a 'domestic brand' once. (Dodge) After a few short years, it was leaking oil from several seals. The bumpers were so rusted they would not pass inspection. The brakes were undersized and were replaced nearly annually. The power-steering would not work below -9F. (could not turn steering-wheel).... I could go on.

GM taking the bailout (and never really paied it back...ever!!) was a BIG mistake. The inefficient megalith that they are was allowed to continue. Their products are throw-away cars after about 6 years.

I have never been a "Ford Guy" but they did NOT accept the bailout and actually have some impressive products now. Ford is the only 'domestic brand' I might consider.

Long ago (in the early 1970s) my Dad was a GM guy... but after 3 vehicles that ran like crap and rusted out in 2 years. He was done. One day, he saw a Chevy ad on TV saying that they were 'As good as a Honda'

That was the moment he declared "If they are going to compare themselves to Honda, then I am going to buy a Honda" .... He has owned about 10 Honda Accords since then. None of them ran like crap. None of them ever rusted-out,

Personally, I like VW which offers 12-year/Unliminted mileage corrosion warantee. Here in Vermont, I get free rust-repair on VWs dime.

Well, if you came back, you might be surprised. That's all I'm saying.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277

"That was the moment he declared "If they are going to compare themselves to Honda, then I am going to buy a Honda" .... He has owned about 10 Honda Accords since then. None of them ran like crap. None of them ever rusted-out,"

As a multiple owner of Hondas including 4 Accords myself, I applaud him for at buying cars which are built here in the States (Marysville, Ohio in this case).

Since this topic started, I've always wondered the mission:

"Are American cars coming back in favor".

Well, if you are buying an Accord in the states, why wouldn't you be buying an "American" car? And since it is one of the top selling cars in its segment (trailing with the Camry, built in Kentucky and the Altima, built in Tennessee) I'd say they never went out of favor... At least not since the 90's when the Ford Taurus ruled the roost.

Heck, I own an Subaru that was built in Indiana. surely those people building it are Americans. Surely those people who sold it to me were in America, Massachusetts to be exact... And when I bring it in for service, I'm not bringing it anywhere but here in the states. Same situation with all of my Hondas over the years.

Chrysler is owned by the Italians, are they still considered "American"? Well, for instance the Jeep lines are still built here and I've done plenty of work for Chrysler plants in Toledo, Warren and Trenton over the years. All those places are in the states so I'd say those are American as well, and judging by the increases in sales at Jeep, they are certainly favorable as well...

As far as VW, kudos to them that they take care of you up here. I've never heard of the rust repair for the snow belt but that certainly is a nice perk. I do however wish that they built more stuff here in the states. Off the top of my head, the only plant I know of here in the states is Chattanooga, but Industry insiders have told me that they are making a massive expansion in Tenn. as well as investigating other locations in the South for new plants. So I applaud them for realizing the need to invest in the Countries that are supporting their product.

But again, buying "American" has always been a pretty vague term to me...

Kudos again to your dad. Hopefully his Hondas continue to treat him well. Those folks in Ohio have been building great cars since the eighties.

See Steve's link a few posts up about 'American made'.

Everyone has a right to buy what they like. I would never tell somebody they're wrong or stupid for their choice.

• nancylongnancylong Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2014

I feel same thing too that American cars are making strong comeback by offering lots of features and services to its customer. Obviously they are targeting for the better performance in automobile market.

• dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited April 2014

My God Lemko, that Caddy is begging to be driven! Unfortunately I'm pushing 16k on my '14 Ram Laramie I've had 8 mos. Knock on wood no issues so far.

Basically I buy what I like and if it turns out to be a dog, I get rid of it and move on. I think for the most part, most domestics are reliable now days.

My dad has an 09 Accord V6 that's had major problems, so it's not like the asian makes are immune to reliability issues.

I can't remember, but are cars that have a "1" in the beginning of the VIN built in the US, and cars with a "J" built in Japan? I saw an Accord the other day that had that thing going on where the clearcoat burns off and exposes a chalky mess underneath. Just out of curiosity, I looked at it closely, and saw that the VIN started with a "1". So I guess that propagates the old stereotype about the Japanese-built Accords being better built than the US-built ones!

In its defense though, this was a fairly old Accord. Having a Ronald Reagan moment and forgetting the generation. I'm thinking it was either a '98-02, or and '03-05? So, anywhere between 9 and 16 years old. Once upon a time, we would have been pleasantly surprised if our cars were still on the road by that age! And, this car really caught my eye because it truly was a rarity, seeing one with the paint that bad. It was common from around 1987, when they started going to those environmentally-friendly paints, to maybe the mid/late 90's when they started getting them right, to see that peel-off, burn-through, etc. But since then, it seems like we send the cars to the junkyard at the end of their useful life, with the paint still shiny and showroom new.

@dieselone said:
    My God Lemko, that Caddy is begging to be driven! Unfortunately I'm pushing 16k on my '14 Ram Laramie I've had 8 mos. Knock on wood no issues so far.

I think I'm going to finally break the 10,000 mile mark on my 2012 Ram this weekend when I drive up to the Spring Carlisle swap meet. Oh, and today is the 19-month mark! Nothing has broken on it yet, but last year, it did stall out twice in the driveway, and twice it got stuck in 4th gear. But it's been on good behavior since then.

I just realized, this weekend also marks the 1 year anniversary of something really expensive breaking on my 2000 Park Ave. I was on my way up to Carlisle, when the tensioner for the belt that drives the supercharger self-destructed, sending shrapnel throughout the engine bay. It took a chunk out of the battery (didn't discover that until a week later when it finally discharged), and I think it took out a tire pressure sensor, because now it constantly warns me of low tire pressure, even though I've checked them all and they're fine. The mechanic replaced both tensioners, both belts, changed the oil, and did a few other odds and ends and the bill came out to around $1100.

So, hopefully the Park Ave will behave itself for awhile. It's up to around 98,000 miles.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@andre1969 said:
    it took out a tire pressure sensor, because now it constantly warns me of low tire pressure, even though I've checked them all and they're fine.

I don't think your PA has the internal pressure sensors. My 03 leSabre doesn't. It measures a low tire based on the revolutions compared to the other tires. So it depends on the same teeth in the wheel bearing hub where it counts the teeth to get the speed for the ABS and for the Traction Control (and the Stabilitrak). Have you reset the tire pressure computer on the DIC? Are you holding the button down until it says "Reset"?

I recall reading that the system reads the revolutions at 3 different speed ranges after being reset. Then uses that for the counts. It does work. Twice I've had mine warn of a low tire and it was down around 26. Trouble with the sealing on the chrome wheels when the new Michelins were put on last November.

You might have a wheel bearing problem with movement in the bearing. My bearings both started giving a Stability System error on the DIC always at low speed turning the wheel from one side to the other where the hub might move with the change in wheel position due to caster.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Hmm, i never even thought to just hold the button and see if it would reset. D'oh! I'll try it around lunchtime, and see what happens. I'm putting the car in the shop early next week, for the mechanic to change the oil, and give it a general going-over. I'll mention the bearings to him. Thanks for the info! With your advice and help, this Park Ave might have a few good years left on this earth, after all!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@andre1969 said:
    Hmm, i never even thought to just hold the button and see if it would reset. D'oh! I'll try it around lunchtime, and see what happens. I'm putting the car in the shop early next week, for the mechanic to change the oil, and give it a general going-over. I'll mention the bearings to him. Thanks for the info! With your advice and help, this Park Ave might have a few good years left on this earth, after all!

If you haven't done the complete reset holding it for 5 seconds until it says Reset, I wouldn't worry much about the wheel bearings movement causing a tooth not to be read. That would usually show up first as a Stability System misread with the tire changing position say from a right turn backing out of a parking slot to a left turn to pull down the aisle.

If you can't hear the bearings on smooth blacktop, you're probably okay there. There may be some movement in the bearing for the mode test garages like to use where they wobble in and out, top and bottom and then test at 3 and 9 o'clock. But the GM test is a straight in and out movement of over 0.05 inches meaning the hub bearings have wear. I used Timken brand which sources from China but has a two year warranty from Autozone. Actually had one start a light noise after 1.5 years. Replaced under warranty.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I tried the reset thing when I left work for the day a couple hours ago, and it went back to saying "Tire Pressure Normal". Probably driven about 20 miles since then, and it hasn't come back on. So, that seemed to do the trick, Thanks, Imidazol97!

• guido65guido65 Member Posts: 25

:) Oh yeah!! Americans can and do build great vehicles!

I still don't see many Chevy cars around here, in fact almost none, but Ford cars have totally taken off since the new Fusion was released, and then the new Focus and Fiesta.

The other American cars I see a lot of are the Chrysler 300, still popular after all this time. And now I am seeing a few Cadillacs, another brand making a small resurgence in the Bay Area.

edited April 2014

@nippononly said:
    The other American cars I see a lot of are the Chrysler 300

Assembled in Ontario by Fiat. :D

The first generation shared a lot of parts with the E-Class.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    The first generation shared a lot of parts with the E-Class.

I have a feeling that it still does. The 2011+ models really aren't all-new, but more of a facelift.

I wish I had taken a pic of the Ford Transit Connect Wagon's content label that we test drove last week.

Assembled in Spain, French transmission, exported from Turkey (I think) to Baltimore, where the interiors are upgraded for passengers to avoid the Chicken Tax.