Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oil and filter changes.

geno59geno59 Member Posts: 23
edited April 2014 in Saturn

Many places offer cheap oil changes using cheap oil and filters. Why not pay a little more and use the best oil and filter! It's proven synthetic oil resist breakdown under extreme heat and provides superior protection, also you can do more miles in between oil changes.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Why not follow the specs as set forth in the owner's manual?

I usually use "regular" Supertech from Walmart and a Fram filter, and I'm at 199,000 miles on my '99 Quest. My interval is supposed to be 7,500 miles, but I usually go 9 or 10,000 miles between oil and filter changes.

• carfixer4carfixer4 Member Posts: 6

Oil filters stop filtering and go to bypass at 4000 miles. Why go so many km? change it every 3000 miles its better for the engine

edited April 2014

Lots of manufacturers have longer change intervals for oil filters than the oil itself.

If you really think your engine is going to suffer by following the owner's manual, you should save your money on too frequent oil changes and get your oil analyzed instead. Then you'd have some real data to go by.

Stop Changing Your Oil

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381

@carfixer4 said:
    Oil filters stop filtering and go to bypass at 4000 miles. Why go so many km? change it every 3000 miles its better for the engine

I've worked in the automotive field for over 30 years. Never have I seen such a thing, this IMO is pure hogwash.

Filters will go into bypass mode if they get plugged but not in the manner you suggest.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

I once saw a Fram oil cut in half along with (I think) a Purolater filter that was also cut
    in half. The Purolater was far superior to the Fram. The Fram looked like it had been made as cheaply as possible. Even the outside can was a lot thinner.

I suppose if you change the oil and filter often, it might not make much difference.

Still, after seeing that I wouldn't want a Fram filter on my car.

edited April 2014

They're just tin cans with a valve. It's the filter media that counts. (Popular Mechanics)

Of course, some guys swear by toilet paper. :D

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

TP--Great way to save $2 on a $6,000 engine.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Frantz Oil Filters! Haven't seen one or heard about them in years!