Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Firestone no sucsess pulling codes on '94 Chevy Camaro

alibeasleyalibeasley Member Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in Chevrolet
I wrote on here about a week or two ago about my '94 Camaro not giving off any codes. Took it up to Firestone and I'm on my way to pick it up now. They told me they cannot figure out why it won't read. Told me how they had multiple people look and try, and they can't get anything. They're referring me to a dealer now and there is no way I'll be able to afford an appointment with them and then parts after. Any suggestions? I'm told it sounds like a cylinder is misfiring and the car runs rough.Already rereplaced spark plugs. Didn't change anything.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I had an "chugging" issue with my '99 minivan last month and three independent mechanics couldn't figure it out. Fortunately none charged me for trying to diagnose it. The Nissan dealer immediately got an ignition code leading to a bad distributor.

My understanding is that sometimes only a dealer scan tool will find these "deep codes". None of the shops could get the code and my check engine light was on.

So your cheapest bet may be paying the $100+ for a "good" diagnosis and then think about repair options somewhere else.