Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW Run-flat tires

ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
edited February 2014 in BMW

I'm curious about BMW being committed to run-flats. I realize that this move was made for several reasons, not the least being the elimination of a full spare tire in the trunk, increasing trunk space, probably reducing weight. On the other hand, I leased a BMW and was not pleased with the harsh ride of the run-flats. And I found that replacement tires were not in inventory in smaller towns, so that if you sustained a flat in a remote location, you would have to wait overnight, or more for a new tire.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

RFTs have been controversial from the get-go; some people love 'em, some hate 'em. They have, apparently, improved since I took the nasty things off my MINI--I found them harsh riding and prone to early wear and making lots of noise once the miles piled up.

I think the problem is that people regard run-flats as "maintenance free" but in fact they aren't. They need correct tire pressures, and even tire rotation (if front and rear tires are the same size); also, running them for long distances while flat will indeed ruin them, just like a regular tire (from heat buildup). And yes, you can repair a run flat tire.

But RFTs are here to stay it seems. I also see the price of replacements coming down.

• Options
    jks24jks24 Member Posts: 69

how long should a RFT last? how many miles? Is it a good idea to purchase the tire replacement package?

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

i wouldn't count on any more that 20,000 miles on the tires, and it could be less. I guess the replacement package depends on how much they are asking, if it covers tires and wheels, and where you have to go for replacement. In other words, read the fine print.

• Options
    zimctzimct Member Posts: 16
    Good Morning!
    I have a 2011 550i XDrive, with Run Flats. I have decided to stay with RFTs.
    My question now is what tire to buy?

I have Goodyear Eagle LS2 RFT 245 / 45 18 100V now. Had good experience with them, but had short tire life, replacing sooner than I would have hoped for.

Told to also look at Conti Pro Contact SSRs.

Could you please give me input on these or if any other RFTs are better?
    Thank you !!!
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Our next door neighbor has a BMW with run flats and he hates them.

He recently picked up a nail and nobody would fix it so he took the car to the dealer.

The dealer told him that the tire couldn't be repaired that it would need to be replaced and because the tires only had 4/32nds of tread that ALL FOUR would need to be replaced at a cost of 2400.00!

He's about to get rid of the run flats!