Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda replacement key???

sandiekaysandiekay Member Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Mazda

Anyone found an inexpensive replacement key for the key fob/car key? I just bought a 2012 Mazda5 and the dealer only had one key, grrrrr. So now I am looking at a $400 key replacement, but can anyone recommend a solution for a key that will actually drive my vehicle?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Someone posted a link a few years back but never heard whether it worked out or not.

• Options

I read a thread on this site earlier and it was a little helpful.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Have you checked with a local locksmith?

@sandiekay said:
    Anyone found an inexpensive replacement key for the key fob/car key? I just bought a 2012 Mazda5 and the dealer only had one key, grrrrr. So now I am looking at a $400 key replacement, but can anyone recommend a solution for a key that will actually drive my vehicle?

• Options

Good idea, I will do that as well.

• Options

Other than the dealership sucking, this is not gonna be cheap or easy.

• Options
    baciu2014baciu2014 Member Posts: 6

i had a cx7 that the key just broke , and got the same price from dealer. i got a shell from ebay , if you do not mind a little work with a screwdriver , go for it .

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dsp.store/m.html?item=181182602889&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Interesting, but unfortunately that won't help if you lose a key or just want a spare.