Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Advice: Should I buy a 2012 GMC Acadia with 57,000 miles on it ?

slinky9slinky9 Member Posts: 8
edited June 2014 in GMC

Hi all,

New here ! I am looking for a used GMC Acadia, and I came across a listing for a 2012 with 57,000 miles. Normally I would not buy a used car with this many miles, but it's only 2 years old. It apparently was a "Commercial" vehicle as per the CarFax. No accidents or incidents on the CarFax.

The price is about $4,000 less than a similar vehicle with 35,000-45,000 miles on it.

Just wondering what all of your opinions are on this and if you think I should pass because of the high mileage.

(I had a 2003 BMW that had 65k miles on it when I bought it in 2005, it lasted me until about 2011 before everything started failing. That's why I'm nervous about this, but the price is awesome and it's a rare color that I can't find anywhere.)

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

It's really a toss up because you are already being compensated for the mileage---which tells you that you will, at least statistically, get maybe one year less use out of it than someone who bought at 45,000 miles.

It also relates to how well the car was taken care of. 57,000 miles of tender loving car are way better than 40,000 miles of abuse.

So I don't think there's a straight answer to your question.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

That's starting to get up there. Have you read all the complaints about these crossovers ranging from water leaks to power steering to HVAC to drivetrain and Stabilitrak? It seems to hit in less than 20K from where it is now in mileage. I've liked the ones I've rented, but all the blog issues keep me from buying one.

• Options

Thank you both for your input ! I do intend on inspecting the car this weekend to see how well it's been taken care of. The fact that it was for "Commercial" use makes me a little nervous, so it really depends on how it was treated.

Berri, I have scanned the forums for those issues, and the issues you mention seem to be more common with the 2007-2008 models, but not so much with the later models. That could also be a factor of mileage, however. :smile:

• Options

All, just wanted to circle back on this. I saw the car, and it was absolutely flawless, with not even a door ding. With a clean bill of health from my mechanic, and a warranty from the dealer, I am now enjoying my new vehicle. Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated ! :smile:

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@slinky9 said:
    All, just wanted to circle back on this. I saw the car, and it was absolutely flawless, with not even a door ding. With a clean bill of health from my mechanic, and a warranty from the dealer, I am now enjoying my new vehicle. Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated ! :smile:

Sounds like you got some homework done before hand as you should have, congrats on the new ride.