Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited January 2014 in Toyota
Welcome to Edmunds discussion dedicated to 2014 Toyota Prius purchase experiences. If you have recently purchased a 2014 Toyota Prius, please share your experience here.

You can also research local dealer inventory and get pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on our 2014 Toyota Prius page.

To see all forums discussions about the Toyota Prius, including earlier model years, please visit our list of Toyota Prius discussions.

Navigation tips: To see the most recent information and activity, make sure to visit the latest post, which may be a few pages ahead. Click the pages numbers just below to go to a new page in the discussion -- or search the entire discussion by clicking the magnifying glass icon and entering keywords.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• storrnycstorrnyc Member Posts: 28

Hello. I am interested in buying a 2014 Toyota Prius Plug in base model. I believe they have a $1000 consumer incentive and that the factory holdback percentage is 2%. Does anyone know if they have any Factory to Dealer Incentives? Without this i am looking at offering $28,900 on a $31,025 msrp.

Thoughts?

• lilriceleelilricelee Member Posts: 19

Yea thats a good deal, i know a place who can probably give you that offer you want! let me know if you are intersted (socal only though)

• centiscentis Member Posts: 10

FYI. Just picked up a 2014 Prius 3 (MSRP $27,000) for $23,000 before TTL.

• want2buyhwant2buyh Member Posts: 14

Centis -- $23K before TTL sounds good. Which part of the country are you in? I am in the San Francisco bay area.

@want2buyh said:
    Centis -- $23K before TTL sounds good. Which part of the country are you in? I am in the San Francisco bay area.

Out here in SW Ohio. The Cincinnati area to be precise.

There seem to be a lot of Prii on dealer lots out here.

• sofla117sofla117 Member Posts: 11

@centis Did you have to finance through Toyota?

edited March 2014

@sofla117 said:
    centis Did you have to finance through Toyota?

>
    he probably payed cash

@lilricelee said:

@sofla117 said:
    centis Did you have to finance through Toyota?

I did not have to finance through Toyota, though I did choose to with 0% through TFS.

@centis said:
    I did not have to finance through Toyota, though I did choose to with 0% through TFS.

so you financed thru toyota then?

• flashzoom1flashzoom1 Member Posts: 1

Here is my 2 cents on my 2014 Prius price.
    I am in So Cal area.
    got the car on 3/22/2014

here is what I got.
    2014 Prius model 2, Dark Gray ext, and Dark Gray int.

MSRP: $25,128

Final price before TTL: $20500.00
    Final OTD price: $22595.00 (includes all tax, and fees)

the Car had 3 miles on it, when I droved it away.
    This already includes the $1500 off discount.

just thought I share here.

• newtoprius1newtoprius1 Member Posts: 1

I can top that. On 3/30/2014 I purchesed a Prius 2 MSRP $25900 for $19723 before TTL. I am in upstate of South Carolina. I saw an add by a dealer in N.C. selling for $19923. Went to my local dealer the next day with a printout of his prices. I worked on them for awhile then went home. The next morning I waited until about 10AM and gave and offer for $19523 after a short meeting they offered the $19723 which I took. Final OTD was $20422.

• roadrageeroadragee Member Posts: 138

@newtoprius1 said:
    I can top that. On 3/30/2014 I purchesed a Prius 2 MSRP $25900 for $19723 before TTL. I am in upstate of South Carolina. I saw an add by a dealer in N.C. selling for $19923. Went to my local dealer the next day with a printout of his prices. I worked on them for awhile then went home. The next morning I waited until about 10AM and gave and offer for $19523 after a short meeting they offered the $19723 which I took. Final OTD was $20422.

Wow.. that's a smoking hot deal!

Anyone here know what I should pay for leftover 2013 Prius Hatchback trim FIVE with MSRP $31,040?

It seems exactly same 2014s can be had for around $26.5K. Considering it's well in the middle of 2014, those 2013 should command additional discount. Perhaps $24k? What do you guys think?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2014

Your theory is good but it seems that lots of dealers are loathe to "dump" stale inventory. Prius V and Prius liftback sales are down some 30% compared to February a year ago and March/April numbers are still in a slump, so you'd think the dealers and Toyota would be chomping at the bit to clear some inventory. I came close to pulling the trigger on a V Three last week but just couldn't bring myself to downsize just yet from a minivan. Didn't really get to the negotiating numbers stage.

One thing you could do is figure out what a year's deprecation would be and take that amount of the 2014 price and then counter up to account for the lack of miles on the "new old stock". Edmunds True Cost to Own tool figures a 2013 V would depreciate $4,000 to $5,000 in the first year depending on your zip code. But we also assume you would have put 15,000 miles on it and miles affect value too. So your $24k number about splits the difference on that calculation.

Doesn't cost anything to ask. Good luck!

(One crisis bumping the pump price up and all bets are off).

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    but it seems that lots of dealers are loathe to "dump" stale inventory.

Thanks for the info Stever. So they do not like "dumping" their stale inventory? I guess it all depends on how their mood on that day is then - whether they feel like cleaning up or holding onto the "new old stock" . On a more serious note, so do you mean that dealers may not be interested in selling unless the price is right?

According to True Cost to Own, the first year depreciation for Prius Five 4dr Hatchback is woooping $6,765!! Perhaps I might have to up the ante and go even bigger $3,000 (some dealer personals reading this might be laughing and saying "are you nuts/" - Please chime in if you are. Give me some upper hand here please. =)

You are totally right. Doesn't cost nor hurt anything to ask. I will have to give it a try and see if the luck will be on my side!

Btw, can I anticipate any issues buying "New Old Stock" that's been sitting at the dealership for an extended period of time?

edited May 2014

I've never gotten a handle on it. Maybe the old stuff is "paid for" and doesn't cost them any interest to sit there (and plenty of dealers don't floorplan their inventory in the first place to avoid those financing costs).

Great question about "stale" cars. I'm looking at a used car right now that appears to have been "lost" on a dealer lot for 18 months before getting sold to another dealer. Mechanical stuff tends to do better if it's used - tires dry rot sitting out in weather all day, batteries die and don't last as long if the dealer keeps recharging them every couple of months, and all the rubber seals and gaskets tend to dry out or shrink when they aren't used (fuel pumps too?). If the car isn't frequently moved around the lot, the engine oil can "completely" drain down to the sump leaving little lubrication up top when it does get cranks. That can supposedly cause excessive wear. Plus old oil can thicken and sometimes cause issues, like blocking small passages. If the car is moved around the lot but not driven long or far, you can get moisture in the exhaust system and the car doesn't get hot enough to burn it off. Oh, and gas gets stale too (which begs the question of running a Prius on electric mode for slow, short trips for weeks on end. :) ). Never looked into whether the traction battery is harmed by just sitting.

All that said, my old Subaru tends to sit all summer and my mechanic yells at me to drive it more, just to keep the rust down on the brakes if nothing else. But it seems to do just fine just sitting in my garage. Other than some brake noise for a few blocks, chances are everything is just fine with the '13 Prius. Just tell the dealer that it's a bit of a concern for you. :p I actually asked for the manufacturing date on the V Three I was tirekicking.

Thanks for the insights and great advice.

As you suggested, considering it's a new car, not an used old car, sitting for about a year won't be much of an issue I suppose. Traction battery is a great. point. I wonder if there is any complication.

The only thing now is that the dealer with the said car is about 2 hour drive from where I live. I wonder what will be more effective dealing for this car - negotiating via email or showing up unannounced one day in person. What do you think?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997

@roadragee said:
    Thanks for the insights and great advice.
    The only thing now is that the dealer with the said car is about 2 hour drive from where I live. I wonder what will be more effective dealing for this car - negotiating via email or showing up unannounced one day in person. What do you think?

I would think a dealer will be more apt to negotiate with a customer standing in front of them, checkbook in hand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited May 2014

Got it. Thanks! Will have to plan for a nice weekend getaway with a bonus car shopping!

edited May 2014

Wouldn't hurt to call ahead and make sure the car is still there (even then, sometimes those assurances fall flat).

btw, we have a four hour edit window for "fixing" your posts.

Oh, we also offer Live Advice every day from 8 to 5 Pacific time - feel free to call from the dealer if you have other questions. There's no charge.

• lev280lev280 Member Posts: 27

Looks like the forum is fairly thin on any prices paid recently on Prius C. Considering it and wanted to see if anyone had purchased recently in TX and what price did they pay! TIA for any information you share.

• hondaman82hondaman82 Member Posts: 5

FYI for Northern California:
    2014 Prius Plug In, $4000 Rebate in NorCA + $1500 CA Rebate + 2500 Fed Tax Credit + 0% APR

• aigochamalohaigochamaloh Member Posts: 121

@flashzoom1 said:
    Here is my 2 cents on my 2014 Prius price.
    I am in So Cal area.
    got the car on 3/22/2014

here is what I got.
    2014 Prius model 2, Dark Gray ext, and Dark Gray int.

MSRP: $25,128

Final price before TTL: $20500.00
    Final OTD price: $22595.00 (includes all tax, and fees)

the Car had 3 miles on it, when I droved it away.
    This already includes the $1500 off discount.

just thought I share here.

What dealer was this at if you don't mind sharing?

• sweetpeapiesweetpeapie Member Posts: 1

Hi, I'm new to the Prius world. I'm in the process of purchasing/leasing a 2014 Prius three, solar roof, heated clothed seats at an OTD price of $27,843.00 . In the past I've only purchased Subaru's outright & kept them for at least ten years. My question is: I live in upstate NY, lots of salt on the road which leads to rust no matter how often you clean the vehicle. The dealer asked if I was interested in a lease: $319 down, that's it, nothing else due at signing which is $319 x 36 months = $11,484, with 12,000 mile yearly limit. I average 14,000 a year....When I asked about the residual at the end of the lease my understanding is that it would be another $11,484 which equates to $22,968 but then you factor in tax & so on & so forth I assume. He then asked if I'd like the undercoating at $595+/-. Has anyone in a snow/salt region had this done? Does it actually work? Hope I didn't overload you. This is all new to me. Cheers!

"Remember, growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional. We make a living by what we get. Life by what we give."

• bayarea415bayarea415 Member Posts: 6

Here's my two cents: initially we were looking at the Corolla LE ECO and the Prius Hatchback 2 then we ended up looking at the Camry, Camry Hybrid, and the Prius Plug-in Base.

In the end we ended up getting the 2014 Prius Plug-in Base in Pearl White color. We negotiated down to $24,600 before taxes and fees (we could have got the non-white Plug-in from as lowest offered at $23,800 to $24,100 but we were not really interested in those colors---brown, seaglass blue, navy, black). This included the $4,000 Toyota rebates with 0% APR for 60 months.

Like Hondaman82 said above for the Plug-in you also get the $1,500 California rebates and $2,500 Federal Tax Credit. That's $4,000 in rebates!! With this $4,000 the Prius Plug-in basically costs $20,600 if you apply that rebate.

By the way the Plug-in we got came with the Carpool Decals! Those in Cali you could drive solo in carpool lanes. Don't bother to apply for one as the 40,000 stickers have already been issued. But some dealers still carry a few that comes with the Decals.

Here are the prices we negotiated and got offered. You guys could start from there (all are 2014 and 2014.5 for the Camry). Prices before any taxes and DMV fees. Note: white Pearl cost more:

**Prius Hatchback 2: Lowest offered $19,700. You could easily can get one for $20,000 with little hassle

**Prius Plug-in BASE non-Pearl white color: Lowest offered $23,800 to $24,300

**Corolla ECO LE Plus: $16,300---it was a green color so no go

**Camry Hybrid LE: $22,900.

**regular Camry LE: $16,800---this was the lowest lowest ever. Down in Irvine somewhere.

You just have to have patience and willing to sit at their dealers and negotiate. Above prices were back in late April and prices include the $4,000 Toyota rebates (on Priuses and I think Camry was $1,500 but don't recall).

My experience larger high volume dealers are willing to entertain. Those slower foot traffic will not.

The trick is to work with one sales guy. Go and test cars one at a time per visit. You keep coming back and seeing the same guy they know you're serious and they're willing to talk and room for you to negotiate.

edited May 2014

Great deals on Prius.

• 2beinformed2beinformed Member Posts: 15

Hi all,

I need some advice with purchasing a Prius 3. A family member went to a dealership yesterday and the sales guy gave the price of $27,000 before TTL with the trade in of a non-operational car. I thought that was a very bad price so they didn't make the purchase. I've purchased 2 Hondas last year with the help of this forum. Is the process the same with any other car buying experience? It seems like there is some incentives going on such as the $1000 special financing and bonus cash vs the $1,500 2014 Toyota Prius factory cash back. Should I start contacting the dealership in Southern California? How much was the general OTD price for the Prius 3? or Prius 2 in SoCal?

• tjinvatjinva Member Posts: 23

My daughter is looking to purchase a new 2014 Prius around mid-July when she relocates to Dallas.

Could anyone suggest dealerships in the Dallas area that offer competitive prices and will deal in a straightforward way with a young lady and not take advantage of her especially since she will be new to the area?

• cap41cap41 Member Posts: 1
    null
    Hey centis; which dealer did u buy it from? And does it include the solar roof package
  • klim2011klim2011 Member Posts: 3

@bayarea415 said:
    Here's my two cents: initially we were looking at the Corolla LE ECO and the Prius Hatchback 2 then we ended up looking at the Camry, Camry Hybrid, and the Prius Plug-in Base.

In the end we ended up getting the 2014 Prius Plug-in Base in Pearl White color. We negotiated down to $24,600 before taxes and fees (we could have got the non-white Plug-in from as lowest offered at $23,800 to $24,100 but we were not really interested in those colors---brown, seaglass blue, navy, black). This included the $4,000 Toyota rebates with 0% APR for 60 months.

Like Hondaman82 said above for the Plug-in you also get the $1,500 California rebates and $2,500 Federal Tax Credit. That's $4,000 in rebates!! With this $4,000 the Prius Plug-in basically costs $20,600 if you apply that rebate.

By the way the Plug-in we got came with the Carpool Decals! Those in Cali you could drive solo in carpool lanes. Don't bother to apply for one as the 40,000 stickers have already been issued. But some dealers still carry a few that comes with the Decals.

Here are the prices we negotiated and got offered. You guys could start from there (all are 2014 and 2014.5 for the Camry). Prices before any taxes and DMV fees. Note: white Pearl cost more:

**Prius Hatchback 2: Lowest offered $19,700. You could easily can get one for $20,000 with little hassle

**Prius Plug-in BASE non-Pearl white color: Lowest offered $23,800 to $24,300

**Corolla ECO LE Plus: $16,300---it was a green color so no go

**Camry Hybrid LE: $22,900.

**regular Camry LE: $16,800---this was the lowest lowest ever. Down in Irvine somewhere.

You just have to have patience and willing to sit at their dealers and negotiate. Above prices were back in late April and prices include the $4,000 Toyota rebates (on Priuses and I think Camry was $1,500 but don't recall).

My experience larger high volume dealers are willing to entertain. Those slower foot traffic will not.

The trick is to work with one sales guy. Go and test cars one at a time per visit. You keep coming back and seeing the same guy they know you're serious and they're willing to talk and room for you to negotiate.

• klim2011klim2011 Member Posts: 3

Hi, Bayarea415, which dealer you worked with to get the $24600 for the white plug-in ? Thanks

edited July 2014

@tjinva, check out Dealer Reviews and have your daughter bookmark the Live Help link. Then if she needs some advice at the dealer, she can chat or call for free help from one of our Live Advice team members.

Call 1-855-782-4711 8am - 5pm (Pacific) 7 days a week (except most holidays).

• bigrinbigrin Member Posts: 18

I used Truecar for the lowest pricing around. Then I plugged in my Fla. condo zip code and found prices about 4K off MSRP. Called my Mich dealers and told them if they matched i'd buy from them. It worked.

• jimthomjimthom Member Posts: 1

I am about to buy a Prius Hatchback 4. I want the 4 mainly for the electric seats, upgraded interior and upgraded sound system. I am in SoCal and using TrueCar.com and my best offer so far is $25,104 before taxes, license, etc. The OTD price. Although I've been quoted $28,000 for that. Dealer invoice is appx $26,470.00. MSRP is $29,245.00. There is currently a $1500 rebate included in that but if I finance at 0%, it is $1000. So the above #'s would be $500 more. I am wiling to travel the state for the best deal. Any info out there? Idea.....when buying a "normal" car in CA you need a smog check every 2 years and have appropriate smog equipment on your vehicle. With the Prius, I will not. Now.....if I buy out of state, is there any equipment I'd need for smog purposes to be legal in CA? Thoughts on the offer so far?

• an_johnsonan_johnson Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are buying our first car and have settled on the 2014 Prius Two. We went to the dealer and with nearly no negotiating, and with the salesman knowing we weren't planning on buying that day, got the OTD price to $22700. This includes TTL, my husband's military discount, and my recent grad discount.

We are hoping to get below 20K OTD. Would this be a ridiculous expectation? Should we push for lower than that? We will be buying at the end of this month, and with cash. Any negotiating tips for new buyers?

We are planning on trading in our 2004 Honda Accord, with KBB trade in value of 6K. Tips for getting the full 6K out of them for it?

@an_johnson said:

What state are you in? 20k OTD probably is impossible in California with nearly 10% tax, even if you consider $1000 cash back and additional $1000 cash back for your military and recent grad program. States with 0 sales tax, you might be able to?

• rayrayzrayrayz Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014

I got my 2014 Prius Three with extended warranty of 100k/7yrs miles for 28k (Tax & docu fee are included) Oh and 0% APR for 60mo for the first time buyer.

Is this a good deal guys?

• ianbatianbat Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014

Should I take today's lease offer Prius 4 (MSRP 29537) $0 down 36months 12K miles annual All In $350/mo. Yesterday it was $$366/mo - will it be better tomorrow or the end of the month or end of the quarter ? Thanks in advance for informed inputs.

• johnr26johnr26 Member Posts: 1

Bought my 2014 White Prius 3 today. Not sure if i've gotten a good price or not but I think it's a fair price when compared to Costco Auto and TrueCar.

Price:
    Car: $22,317
    Tax(3%): 669
    tag: 68
    Doc fees: 0 ( dealer does not charge for doc fees)
    Total: 23054

Dealer match my CUs interest rate so i took theres since i wanted to drive the car home on a Saturday. Dealer was also 3 hours away.

I down 5k:

18054 Loan @ 2.39 interest for 72 months... payment $269

Final Price if I choose to pay the whole 72 months and not cash out earlier.

269@72 = 19368 + 5000 = 24368 ( I'm happy with the deal) Got free floor mats too.

Bought from jimbarkleytoyota.com

• krajkraj Member Posts: 4

Any experience in Seattle metro area? I am interested in buying Prius 4 or 5.

• buster6buster6 Member Posts: 134

Hi,

Hoping you could help me with a rate and residual for 2 yr/15k on a Prius 4 in Phoenix. Also do you show $1500 lease cash on this model?

Thank you!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997

@buster6 said:
    Hi,

Hoping you could help me with a rate and residual for 2 yr/15k on a Prius 4 in Phoenix. Also do you show $1500 lease cash on this model?

Thank you!

The only lease numbers we have from Toyota for August are for the Gulf States region. Toyota runs different programs in different parts of the country, so it's hard to get a handle on everything. Sorry.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• thromerthromer Member Posts: 3

@kraj I just started looking in Seattle as well.

@johnr26 22317 sounds very good, by my math dealer cost is 22704.70 ! But maybe my math is wrong. I came up with msrp: 25765+825=26590 invoice: 23895+825=24720, holdback=2% of base msrp=515.30, so dealer cost = 24720-515.30-1500=22704.70.

• kindaslowjohnkindaslowjohn Member Posts: 1

@thromer thanks for that break down, it helped me understood that whole "dealer cost" a little better. I followed your numbers up-till the "-1500" part, where did that 1500 come from?

• neal_hneal_h Member Posts: 1

My daughter is also moving to Dallas soon, and plans to buy a Prius when she arrives. I am looking at the Consumer Reports 'Build & Buy' web app to get a no-haggle deal. It looks like a winner. Reputable party (Consumer Reports), free with subscription (well worth it just for the Build & Buy), and it is offering pricing of about $25,000 for a $29,000 MSRP car. They offer a number of competing dealers in the Dallas area -- if you want to drive 29 miles out of town you get the best deal....

• thromerthromer Member Posts: 3

@kindaslowjohn Toyota has a $1500 cash back offer currently.

Turns out "dealer cost" is a bit misleading, as it doesn't account for the various incentives the manufacturers give dealers based on hitting sales targets, etc ... See http://fightingchance.com/ for example. So it is certainly possible to get a car below the supposed "dealer cost".

• d_pruis3d_pruis3 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    I purchased a 2014 prius 3 (blizzard perl 400$ xtra) w/ solar package MSRP 28710 for 26000 OTD, 0% APR and 5k down. Is this a good deal? True car price in my area (nor cal) lowest 23500-23800 before TTLS. My price is 5k off msrp =23700+tax & registration. Of course I wanted 23000 but he won't even go down to 235000.
  • ranajoranajo Member Posts: 57

@neal_h said:
    My daughter is also moving to Dallas soon, and plans to buy a Prius when she arrives. I am looking at the Consumer Reports 'Build & Buy' web app to get a no-haggle deal. It looks like a winner. Reputable party (Consumer Reports), free with subscription (well worth it just for the Build & Buy), and it is offering pricing of about $25,000 for a $29,000 MSRP car. They offer a number of competing dealers in the Dallas area -- if you want to drive 29 miles out of town you get the best deal....

A slightly belated response: my daughter bought a new 2014 Prius 3 for $22521 plus tt&l. in August. She could probably have done a little better but she was renting a car at her own expense since she gave up the previously leased vehicle before she moved to Dallas.

The pricing was based on 0% financing from Toyota with zero down over 5 years.

So between the cost of rental and limited time availability given the demands of her job, it seemed like the best thing to do.

FYI, she bought the car from Pat Lobb Toyota of McKinney who advertise "no haggle" pricing. She was treated fairly and I negotiated the price and other terms with the dealership before she went there to pick up the car. They did not play any games and honored the deal we worked out by email.

• agneyyagneyy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought Prius V three, with $23,500, with the out of the door cost $26,578. I opted for Toyota financing at 3.01%. This was in Berkeley.