Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Excellent Suspension Tuning - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Porsche
imageExcellent Suspension Tuning - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com conducts a long-term test of the 2015 Porsche Macan S and finds that it suspension tuning is very well executed, firm and absorbent.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

I don't mean to defend the CLA because its suspension tuning is truly awful, but you are comparing apples to oranges here. For another $20k MB could certainly have better sorted the CLA's tuning, too. If you were comparing it to the Audi A3 which has a quite decent suspension that is what really draws blood for the Benz. Comparing it to a $50k crossover, though, is quite a reach.

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486

he could probably say the same thing about the mazda3 vs the CLA.

the car, the price point, doesn't matter as much as the engineers and effort behind the magical combination of spring/damper rates, suspension design/geometry, tires, etc...

porsche and mazda just got it right for their respective cars. apparently the mercedes didn't.

@mercedesfan said:
    I don't mean to defend the CLA because its suspension tuning is truly awful, but you are comparing apples to oranges here. For another $20k MB could certainly have better sorted the CLA's tuning, too. If you were comparing it to the Audi A3 which has a quite decent suspension that is what really draws blood for the Benz. Comparing it to a $50k crossover, though, is quite a reach.

• iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

I'd love to see a post on the correct pronunciation of "Macan". Is it "meh-Kahn", or is it like "May-kin"? Or could it be either, like how the word "pecan" is pronounced differently across the US?

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599

How the Macan's suspension compares to the CLA is interesting but how about to more comparable cars. How does it stack up relative to the X3 you had not too long ago. And for that matter, I'd be curious to know how it compares to the CX-5 which will never be cross-shopped with the Macan but which also receives praise for its suspension tuning.

• cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110

@iamthestig said:
    I'd love to see a post on the correct pronunciation of "Macan". Is it "meh-Kahn", or is it like "May-kin"? Or could it be either, like how the word "pecan" is pronounced differently across the US?

Interestingly, a little Googling reveals it's from a Malaysian word for "tiger". The best pronunciation I can find appears to be "mah-Chahn", with a Ch instead of a hard C. Strange.

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

@s197gt, My point was that it is all relative to expectation. You can't expect a $30k entry-lux car to offer the same finesse in its suspension tuning as a $50k full-luxury crossover. The same relativism holds true for the Mazda. In its class nobody expects much from suspension tuning so the fact that the 3 delivers at all is incredible. However, the Mazda 3's suspension certainly isn't on the same level as the Macan's and is in reality much closer to the CLA (albeit with better impact harshness abatement). In fact, quite a number of publications have commented on how much the CLA feels like a Mazda.

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798

How does the Macan suspension compare with its cousin, the Audi Q5?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123

I've always heard muh-Kan (like can of corn), with accent on the 2nd syllable

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab521ab521 Member Posts: 1

I have owned a Q5, now a Macan. The Macan suspension does not exhibit the same kind of body lean as the Q5. After a couple of months with the Macan, would say that Porsche did a good job of improving handling without sacrificing ride qualty & comfort too much, the daily drive doesn't seem that much less comfortable than the Q5.