Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado - Chime

kstrohmkstrohm Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Jeep

My Cherokee has recently started holding continuous chime for a minute or two after starting. It does the 4 intermittent chimes on start-up, but then holds for a really long, nagging time. It does stop after a minute or two. Usually, the stop is clean, but sometimes its a little scratchy- like a short or something.

I think this would be the chime for left key in ignition, seat belt, lights on, etc. Does the stopping after a minute or two help narrow the search to a particular switch or something?

Answers

• Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

yes likely is the seatbelt wiring/switches/sensors for one of the two front seating positions...
    the issue could be the weight sensor for the front passenger position.

a possible test would be to latch all the seatbelts even for the unoccupied seating positions, especially front passenger.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

An open door switch would be another suspect.

• Options
    kstrohmkstrohm Member Posts: 3

On this vintage of Cherokee (1995 Laredo) the passenger seat does not have a seat belt switch. I'm not sure, but doubtful there is a weight sensor on the drivers seat. On the driver's seat belt I did unplug the lead and even tried with both open and closed (shorted) connections. No difference. So if in the seat belt circuit its not the switch but elsewhere.

It chimes different for an open door (at least the driver's door)- a faster chime. It responds to opening and closing the door, so seems that switch (drivers) must be working. I'll have to try out the other doors. It has a "Vehicle Command Center" that shows when doors are open, lamps burned out etc., so if I get a response on it for doors opening I'll assume the switches must be working.

I had been guessing the chime is just a noise maker getting a signal from another source (like another vehicle computer) energizing it in different patterns / sequences. But maybe it's smarter than that? Anyone know if it has an IC to directly interpret various switch inputs and make it's own patterns? If so - could it be the chime module itself?

Thanks for the suggestions!