Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2002 Dodge Dakota overheats temp gauge at normal level

wht4x4dgewht4x4dge Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Dodge

When driving my 4.7L Dakota my temp gauge is in normal range, but after parking it my cooling system is bubbling and after checking my level I am low on antifreeze. It was occasional after I replaced my upper hose with radiator cap being part of my hose, now I cannot go to work and back. I have had my radiator flushed not to long ago. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

seems likely that the cause is air bubbles in the cooling system - this could result after radiator flush. re-flush/re-bleed cooling system so there is for-sure no air in there. if that doesn't help, the next things to consider are: thermostat (test it by running the heat in the cabin as engine heats up), water-pump (look for drips), engine gaskets (look for evidence of foamy or milk-chocolate-looking oil on dipstick or crankcase.)

• Options
    wht4x4dgewht4x4dge Member Posts: 2
    Thx for your response. After reading other comments here from previous problems I ran truck with radiator cap off and then with heater on, didn't really see bubbles but some water flowed out from cap. Did a test drive, all seems to be OK (haven't drove long distance yet). Will do that today.