Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dealership charges after deciding to not buy CPO Toyota Camry.

sidusidu Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Toyota

HI all,

I am hoping someone could guide me correctly. I recently test drove a Toyota CPO 2013 Toyota Camry with 20K miles on it. I did like the car and asked the dealership to add a backup camera to it. They added the cost of the camera to the drive out price and made me sign the purchase agreement. After this I have been going back and forth with my bank for the past 2 weeks and have been unable to secure a loan so far. In the meantime I realized that the previous owner of the car was a smoker and had left a cigarette burn mark near the driver window. All in all, I called up the dealership to say I am not interested in the car anymore to which they replied that in this case I will have to pay for the parts and labor for the camera installation. Is this right? I somehow feel that I am being scammed but I am not sure.

I am hoping someone could tell me where I stand and if there is any law that protects me from the payment or the dealership.

Thanks,
Sidu.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

Do they have any of your money? Or, your credit card information?

If not, ignore them. I'm not a lawyer, but anyone can sue anyone else.. you can't really be "protected" by a law. I doubt it would be worth their while to do so.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sidusidu Member Posts: 2

Thank you for your reply. They do not have my money nor do they have my credit card info. But they do have my SSN and personal details. The updated CarFax report says that the vehicle was sold. I am guessing the dealership processed the title without me making an actual payment. I am confused and do not know what to do.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

@sidu said:
    Thank you for your reply. They do not have my money nor do they have my credit card info. But they do have my SSN and personal details. The updated CarFax report says that the vehicle was sold. I am guessing the dealership processed the title without me making an actual payment. I am confused and do not know what to do.

I wouldn't worry about the CarFax. No dealer is going to register a car in your name, until payment is made... As I said, I'm not a lawyer, and I can't guarantee they won't try to extract payment for the work on the car. But, I surely wouldn't voluntarily give it to them. If they contact you, tell them you won't pay for that, as it's not your car. If things progress, you may have to re-evaluate.

And, in the future, don't ask someone to commit their money, if you aren't going to commit yours.

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator