Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape

Comments

• Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Thanks for the info. I will check first thing in the morning.

Bruce
  • Options
    Checked all the items on the message center. Avg. mileage,instant mileage, etc. We don't see a display for the compass. Is it possible that an initializing process has to take place before it will be visible?
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Do you see "C" or "Cal". If you do, you need to go to an empty parking lot and drive in tight circles at less than 5 mph until the Compass is calibrated. You should get a beep when it calibrates. Probably about 3 circles.

Mark.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there is no "C" or "Cal". Drove in a circle anyway like I have done for another couple of cars we had with a compass. Had the message screen on the one blank screen that is available but nothing happened. Guess it is a trip to the dealer unless we are still not doing something right.

Bruce
  • Options
    There is always the possibility that your Escape was misbuilt.

This one of the things I hate about Ford making certain pissanti items optional.

I once discovered at delivery that the XLT Explorer I was delivering was corrently built with fog lights but had the headlamp switch from the XLS Explorer which has no fog lights. Accordingly, the fog lights could not be turned on.

If the car is misbuilt. You have a claim against your dealer if compass is listed on the window sticker.

Mark.
  • Options
    I will find out next week. I will be taking the Escape to the dealer to discus the compass issue. Thank for your info. on this problem.

Bruce
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Ford Escape
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Options
    fjb37fjb37 Member Posts: 5
    The wife got an used 05 Escape Limited from CarMax in Feb. 06. It was a Hertz rental from Los Angeles and how it got to Chicago is something I don't want to know.

It has Leather seats and I would agree that they are miserable. Hard as a rock with little lumbar support. The Leather seats in our 87 Taurus were better.

I drive a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan with low back leather buckets that are very comfortable. I get better mileage from the GC than the Escape both in the city and on the highway and would dread taking the Escape on a long trip. The gas pedal angle is all wrong for me and I find myself using the cruse control a lot in the city. Don't have to do that in the Dodge. The GC also has a much better steering column. I don't know why Ford bothers to put a tilt feature on the Escape as it has limited movement and is a pain to adjust.

The Ford is OK for short trips in the city and the all wheel drive should be handy in the winter. The wife loves it so if she's happy, I guess I'm happy. Just my $0.02.

FredB
  • Options
    srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    Toyota has the 269hp V6 Rav4 sport.

Chevy is going to make a sporty 263hp V6 Equniox with a six speed trans.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=118840

What does Ford do for 2008? They restyle the interior and exterior and leave the same old drive train options ( including rear drum brakes ). When will Ford catch a clue and put the new 250hp 3.5L V6 and 6 speed trans into their Escape and make a sporty edition???
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I feel that the Escape fills an important slot in the product line below the Edge, but that Ford isn't fully capitalizing on it. The 2008 model goes part way in doing what needs to be done to upgrade the design, but there are a lot of other things that they should have done (starting with the 3.5 engine).
  • Options
    Go drive a 3.0L Escape. This car is a rocket. Now a 5 or 6 speed auto tranny, for better Fuel Econ, that would be a plus!

I would like to see some more recreational type features on the Escape so that it moves more toward the Xterra, FJ Cruiser, Element, kind of vehicle.

Mark.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I just bought my step-daughter a 3.0 Mariner. It is NOT a "rocket". According to Consumer Reports, the 0-60 time is over 10 seconds.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "With the redesigned 2008 Ford Escape, Ford has married its corporate truck face with the Escape's palatable price and practicality. Some industry people call this type of revision a "top-half" update, or, in other words, just about everything above the floor-to-body pinch weld is new or redesigned. The engines, drivelines (excluding the hybrid) and wheelbase are carry-overs from the 2007 models which are being highly incentive-ized to make room for the '08 Escapes that will be on dealer lots by April."

Full Test: 2008 Ford Escape Limited AWD

• Options
    Just finished reading the review. Ford has added some good items--stability control, traction control and extra air bags, but why, why for the sake of a few dollars--the backwards step to rear drum brakes, without the option of discs. Manufacturers certainly do some dumb things, sometimes. I will keep my Escape with its disc brakes. Hopefully Ford will change its mind before the 2009 model.
  • Options
    I actually prefer rear drums since they last so much longer (in my experience anyway) than disks. But not at the expense of stopping distance.
  • Options
    What a horrable review for the Escape...

What is up with Ford and it's brakes? Both the new Edge and Escape/Mariner seem to have some significant braking issues. 10-15ft might not seem like a big deal, but it is rather significant if the car in front of you can do a panic stop in 10-15ft less that your vehicle...

Ford is going to lose a lot of sales over these braking issues. Any informed customer would have to be more than a little concerned about it...
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    i wonder if the quiet and comfort of the michelins was traded against the light weight and possibly the traction of the conti's?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I do not think that Rear Drums are a disadvantage compared to rear discs as long as you are not driving a "sporty" car or intend to tow.

BTW, GM uses rear drums on its full size trucks and supposedly, they can tow 10,500 pounds...I'd be scared though.

I am sure that brake shoe material also has a lot to do with whether drum brakes fade.

Mark.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    we all know the front brakes provide about 80% of the stopping power, but from a marketing perspective, it still is a bad mistake.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    we all know the front brakes provide about 80% of the stopping power, but from a marketing perspective, it still is a bad mistake.

I would say that a 60-0 that takes 161 feet is also a technical mistake. Everyone has talked about the rear drums, but what the heck did they do to the Front Discs???

The 2007 and earlier Escapes ( even the years with the rear drums ) stopped in around 130ft....

What changed? Did they add a bunch of weight?
  • Options
    palomopalomo Member Posts: 1
    I want to find out if the '02 Escape XLS has any OEM 12v wiring under the interior roof cover.

Other Escape trims offer roof-mounted map-lights and electric rearview mirror options. I wonder if the wiring for them is standard on all models and is right there on my 2002, unde the roof trim, unused...

I plan to install a GPS by the rearview mirror and could use a 12v outlet in the roof to reduce cable clutter..
  • Options
    If the Escape is like the Mustang or the Explorer, the wiring is NOT THERE!

I have had auto dimming mirrors installed for customers and it is a huge project at my dealership only the Master Tech will do this type of install and it takes him 2 hours.

Apparently a "hot wire" has to be run up to the headliner and lord knows where you get it from in the wiring harness.

Mark.
  • Options
    escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Just rolled over 105K miles on my '01 Escape V6 2WD XLT. It will be six years old at the end of July. I just replaced my 4th IAC module with a non-Motorcraft equivalent (Borg-Warner), after experiencing same indicator problems as before, hard cold-starts, etc.. Starts just fine now. Mileage is 17 MPG. in town and 21-22 MPG on the highway, and 19 MPG mixed. I've changed all fluid to synthetic, with exception of brake and power steering as of about 65K miles ago. Powertrain (engine and transmission) have Mobil 1 synthetic fluid(s). Both engine and transmission seem strong so far with no oil being lost or gear slipping, etc..
    Overall I've done basic maintenance (oil changes-myself), replaced tire(s) twice, changed spark plugs once (mechanic), changed alternator (mechanic), performed recall-repair(s) as notified, changed IAC 4-times (myself), changed PCV once (myself), professionally flushed major fluids 3-times, changed belts once, changed brake booster once (mechanic), changed shifter actuator-cable (mechanic), Changed struts and shocks (mechanic and myself), changed brakes three (3) times (mechanic)
    I expect to keep the Escape another couple of years so I will probably be doing some pre-emptive maintenance: change Water-Pump, T-Stat, Starter, change Spark Plugs again, replace control arms, etc..
    The Escape has not been perfect, but certainly not any more problematic for me than some other vehicles (including Asian-brands). It has been comfortable so far, but I can tell the body is looser and more clackity than in years past. Overall still a nice ride, other than mileage, which is not good by any stretch.
  • Options
    theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    After thinking I'll like the Escape for quite a while I finally rented one this weekend. Its a 2WD XLT 3.0L and its got lots of power and is comfortable and fun to drive.

But unexpectedly I think its making me carsick! Its higher off the ground than I'm used to and there is a subtle but constant movement underneath me. I think its a combination of the tall center of gravity, the fairly short wheelbase and the tall tires that causes this. After I've driven a little bit at 40 or more mph I start to get slightly carsick. Anybody else feel this way? Or am I just getting the flu?! :)
  • Options
    No problem with ours. I would bet on the flu. Take care.
  • Options
    There could be something going on with that particular rental. Mismatched tires, incorrect inflation, too many curbs jumped, or maybe there's an exhaust leak.

don4341, "Chevy Tahoe" #1499, 15 Oct 2001 6:48 pm

Best try another for a few hours just to make sure!
  • Options
    dremsdrems Member Posts: 1
    You obviously take great care of your car. I have a 2001 Ford Escape XLS 2wd with 88,000 miles. Most everythng has been fine with it until I got stuck on a snow bank and ruined my reverse clutch and reverse band trying to rock out. The Ford mechanics here in New York city say I should get a remanufactured transmission and install it. About $3,500. Another Ford mechanic elsewhere has said I could replace those parts and spend about half that amount. I've not had ANY transmission problems thusfar so I'm leaning toward the cheaper alternative. I'm wondering if you've had problems.
    Also, this is my wife's car and I don't think she has had much in the way of service beyond the customary oil change. What do you recommend at this point to keep the car in good running order. I figure if I'm going to lay down money to fix the transmission I shoudl forestall any other catastrophes.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    bmoerkebmoerke Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2005 Ford escape and just LOVE it. So does my husband. Must be the flu.
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I have a Toyota Highlander and only ride in it on weekends
    but I have experienced a pitch and bobbing effect on non
    smooth roads.It is the nature of tall wagons and soft
    springs.I used to have a Kia Sorento and did not notice it.
    Must be something to do with weight. My other car is a new
    Civic coupe and I don't experience that feeling. The only problem with it is very low and a struggle for an old man to
    enter and exit.When I rented an escape years ago I thought
    it was noisy,thirsty,and the automatic transmission never seem to be in the right gear.I think the 3.0 produces it's torque at high rpm so to make it peppy you have to use D2
    which kills your MPG.I was driving a mountain road then.
  • Options
    Basically, you noticed the difference between a car with a stiff structure, the body on frame Sorento, vs. the not so stiff unibody Highlander.

The stiffer the platform the car is built from, the better the suspension tuning can be.

Bendyflexy cars tend to have softer suspensions to get the same feel as a stiff car with a hard suspension.

Mark
  • Options
    twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    But unexpectedly I think its making me carsick!
    --------------------------------

I have poor balance from an inner ear condition and I've noticed our new Mariner has a "jouncy" ride on pavement that isn't perfectly smooth. Our previous Saturn Vue didn't have it and neither does my much smaller Suzuki Aerio.

I'm sensitive to "bounce" and if our Mariner is typical, you're right; there is a constant movement. It's my wife's car and she drives it 90% of the time, so I can live with the bounce. :)
  • Options
    mbrickmbrick Member Posts: 1
    I know you originally posted this a couple of years ago but could this IAC be the problem with our '01 XLT that hesitates and bucks when shifting? It seems like when it shifts out of overdrive is when the problem is occurring but it seems to be getting worse.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The Mercury line purposely softens up the ride of their cars, as they appeal to the low end Country Club crowd, and to women generally, who prefer a little more luxury and a little less harshness in the ride. If the Mariner is too bouncy, try the Tribute or the Escape. Might be better.
  • Options
    arunmarunm Member Posts: 2
    Have a vibration problem!!
    Taken to Ford dealers and am told it is a 'characteristic' of the vehicle.
    Initially had a vibration at idle which was taken care of with 2 replaced engine mounts after great difficulty with the dealer.
    Now whenever the car is trying to go to the lower gear and is between 1200-1400 RPM the car has a grinding thru the steering annoying vibration. It goes away once the overdrive function kicks in. Comes back everytime in that REV range.
    Has anyone else expreience such an issue?
    Please someone HELP!
    No more F O R D for me (even if this is a Mazda Tribute/Escape). Its the after sales which suck!
  • Options
    gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2001 Ford Escape that is used by other family members. This morning I
    noticed after I started it that the Rear Defroster was still on. It also does not auto shut off after a short time of being off. The button must be manually pushed to shut it off so it does not come on after starting again. Is this normal? I have seen other posts with this problem. This morning I looked at the manual and it did say that it should not come on after restarting, however it does.

Also the light is out on the gear indicator, Anyone change the bulb or whatever it
    needs to fix it. It looks like an LCD display as it also houses the odometer.
  • Options
    basimalbbasimalb Member Posts: 3
    when i start my car it will give more sound & vibrate. some one pls help me how can i solve this , do you think from eng mount ?
  • Options
    Could be - if you have a bad motor mount and rev the engine, it can cause the car to shake and vibrate. Sometimes you can see excessive movement of the engine when someone gives the car a little gas. And you may notice more vibration in the steering wheel as well.

It wouldn't hurt to check the transmission mounts too as well as the exhaust system hangers (they can vibrate and rattle too).
  • Options
    basimalbbasimalb Member Posts: 3
    I PURCHASED 2005 LIMITED FORD ESCAPE . AND I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT SINCE AT FIRST I FELT LIKE THERE WAS NO POWER AND IT WAS GOING TO STALL OUT & THERE IS SOME LOUD SOUND LIKE IT COLD BUTS ITS NOT

PLEASE I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCED .
  • Options
    jweqaver50jweqaver50 Member Posts: 1
    Battery and lights OK. Truck will not turn over in park or neutral. Not even a clicking sound from the starter. Lights do not dim when key is engaged.
  • Options
    rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    Try another key--might have dropped it's code.
  • Options
    davc1985davc1985 Member Posts: 2
    1 General rule for all cars... Inspect all fuses and relays associated with the problem. key thing is a good idea... or bad solenoid/starter. :confuse:
  • Options
    spereiraspereira Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2004 Ford Escape and the steerling wheel vibrates when I am stopped at a red light. The dealer tells me it is an idle and a tune up will take care of it, but it only has 55,000 miles on it and really should not need a tune up til 100,000 miles. Some tell me it is also charastic of the vehicle. Not sure what it is or who to believe but it is annoying...
  • Options
    spereiraspereira Member Posts: 2
    I actually went in to a dealership by myself and laid it all down on the line. I told the salesman I was a single recent divorced mom. What I was looking for, how much I wanted to my car payments to be. I knew what the car should go for...I did my research before I went. I believe in the end I got a good deal and was not taken advantage of. I even got more for my car that it was worth even in retail. That was my first experience in buying a car by myself and I believe it actually went well.
  • Options
    rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    " just bought a 2004 Ford Escape and the steerling wheel vibrates when I am stopped at a red light. The dealer tells me it is an idle and a tune up will take care of it, but it only has 55,000 miles on it and really should not need a tune up til 100,000 miles. Some tell me it is also charastic of the vehicle. Not sure what it is or who to believe but it is annoying..."

Put it in neutral at the light. Keeps the tranny cooler over the long haul and will get rid of your vibrating wheel.
  • Options
    lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Do you know the history of this vehicle? It is very likely that something was ignored if it was a lease vehicle and the previous driver knew that they were going to turn it in after the lease expired. Human nature being what it is dictates this.
    Did you test drive the vehicle or have it inspected before your purchase?
  • Options
    glen_05glen_05 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Escape XLT, with 45,600 miles, has been experiencing engine cut off''s
    when at a corner or a stop, with no other notable signs of trouble. Yesterday
    the dealer was able to determine that the torque converter was "toast". Car was
    new when purchased as it was the last on the lot for that model year, with little
    dealer miles.
  • Options
    ibigdaddymeibigdaddyme Member Posts: 1
    Where in the car is this OBD2 connector located? I have looked all over the drivers side compartment and under the dash and so far I do not see it.
  • Options
    ccfupdateccfupdate Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2005 Ford Escape Limited which experiences the same problem of no power. It will slowly ramp up to full speed. Did you ever get an answer to what causes it?
  • Options
    emharris82emharris82 Member Posts: 1
    I also had this problem. I took it to a friend who owns a mechanic shop and he replaced my idle control valve. Now my 01 Escape runs like new! :)