Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2012
    Maybe swapping "enhanced" and "designed" for "tuned" for most of the passenger car engines out there would be even more accurate. I doubt that the average daily driver knows or much cares anyway.
    Robr2 brings up a good point about turbos. And they are smaller, get better mileage and are higher performance than a six cylinder. A lot of us older geezers still don't trust those though. :blush:

The real question is who's shopping the 2013 Escape and who (knowinng the details) is going to upgrade to the engine trim that's designed, tuned and enhanced to be "sportier"?
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    It's not a question of being sportier but why be forced into buying an upgraded engine just to get a few practical options like AWD since the basic model hardly has any options.
    Ah, yes, there is that. We're still a ways from being able to order a car with just the options you want without having to pay for stuff you don't want.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Sorry, I'm still not used to the term CX-5 and still think of the 7 and 9 when reading about Mazda's. Here's the link and a quote from the article, take it as you will.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblog.aspx?feat=e984db01-54cb-4620-b54d- -90f07151c1b0

Two crossovers, two SUVs, two pickups and the Jeep Wrangler are among the vehicles deemed the most dangerous in America by the business blog 24/7 Wall Street. The website analyzed safety data compiled by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Consumer Reports, the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration and J.D. Power.

"The cars with the worst scores most commonly received poor grades in the rollover and rear-impact tests," writes Michael B. Sauter of 24/7 Wall Street. Those include the Ram 1500, Mazda CX-7 and CX-9, Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab, Suzuki SX4, Nissan Pathfinder and Jeep Wrangler.
    edited June 2012
    No it's not. This is what it states in the Owner's Manual:

Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some fuel stations offer fuels posted as regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
    Note: Premium fuel will provide improved performance for vehicles with EcoBoost® engines and is recommended for severe duty use such as trailer tow.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My local Ford dealer just received a 2013 Ford Escape 2.0L EcoBoost AWD Titanium in Ginger Ale Metallic. The list price was almost $36,000. That's pretty steep for this segment. I understand there is extra performance and features such as the power lift gate and park assist, but is that what people in this category really look for? I have to question the move by Ford on this. Even SE AWD models with the 1.6L EcoBoost are over $31,000 and it does not have navigation or leather seats. You can get a CR-V EX-L with nav and a CX-5 Grand Touring w/ technology package for less.

I really think Ford is not banking on the "value" minded shopper and have decided to market to a different audience. That's just my opinion. It could turn out to be a huge success, but only time will tell. All things considered, it is a nice car in person.
  • tbk81tbk81 Member Posts: 9
    Someone mentioned premium recommended for the 1.6? All Escape engines have recommended fuel of regular (87). Manual states that, for towing or heavy use, premium can be used.

As for price - I think there are so many things you get with this car that I have not seen on other platforms...and incentives will come. I do wish Ford would offer a longer warranty, however.
    All Escape engines have recommended fuel of regular (87). Manual states that, for towing or heavy use, premium can be used.

I have an issue with Ford advertising 178hp for the 1.6L and 240hp for the 2.0L when those number are only achieved using Premium and then go to say you can use Regular but you have to do a little digging to find out you get less power. I know we are only talking about a few ponies here, but it is still a dig at the consumer, if you ask me.
  • kapohokapoho Member Posts: 2
    Ever pull into a gas station and find all the Premium pumps locked off because they are out of fuel? In that case, it's nice to know you can use regular without trashing the engine.
  • kapohokapoho Member Posts: 2
    I'll be purchasing a very well equipped Escape in the $36K price range. The equivalent vehicle is NOT an under-powered CR-V or CX-5. Vehicles with comparable torque to the Escape are the Acura RDX, Lexus RX 350 and BMW X3, at a cost of thousands more.
    The Escape has available safety features that rival vehicles in the $50K price range. Also, I really enjoy Ford's convenience features, such as entry key pad and capless fuel filler (RE: On-Star vs keypad: if I locked my keys in the car, I probably left my cell phone inside, too). The Escape is not cheap, but it is an excellent value.
    Vehicles with comparable torque to the Escape are the Acura RDX, Lexus RX 350 and BMW X3, at a cost of thousands more.

A Lexus RX350 is a mid-sized luxury SUV, the Escape is not. I can see the comparison to the RDX, but not the X3. Just because torque is comparable, it does not mean the vehicles are.

Regardless of your opinion, the Escape DOES compare to the CR-V and CX-5, amongst others in the class (Equinox, Terrain, Rogue, RAV4). While the 2.0L EcoBoost offers something the others do not, it comes at a substantially higher price tag and less fuel economy, something the majority of buyers are concerned about. I guess you do not fall in that category, which is OK and it seems that the 2.0L is right up your alley.

The 1.6L EcoBoost, which is Ford's volume offering, is also much more money then others in the class, which was my main argument. You are over $31,000 with no leather, no navigation. You can get lots of features for under $30K with others in this class which is more "value". That was my point.

By "value" minded, I think of "look at all you get for what you pay" vs the Escape that is "look at what you get but you need to pay a premium for it". Again, there is nothing wrong with that approach. I just am not sure the majority of buyers in this segment feel the same. But, who knows? Ford is taking a marketing approach that is vastly different from how the Escape has always been.
  • marisajade23marisajade23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford Escape. I went to start it yesterday and it acted like the battery was almost dead, but not quite. When it was started, the gauge needles all jumped really fast and at first my gas gauge said I had no gas, even after I had just filled up. I am supposed to be leaving back for Iowa today/tomorrow, but need to know what this could be and I don't have any money to have it looked at, just the money I need to get home. Can any of you guys help? Thanks so much.
  • bretcampbretcamp Member Posts: 6
    If this answer has already been posted, sorry but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know the hatch/cargo area opening height for the 2013 model, and how it compares to the previous models? One of the reasons we're on our 4th Escape is because of its boxiness, and its ability to handle tall items that even much larger SUVs have trouble with.

On pricing, prices have definitely changed over the past 6 months. When I priced the 2013 model on the beta site, a fully loaded car, with nav etc., was around $38k - well above a fully loaded 2012 (around $34k+), thought admittedly with more standard equipment. The now-announced prices are lower than the "test" prices, but still in the same range as a fully-loaded Terrain. The new Escape is of course also larger, so although it may still be compact, it seems Ford has moved to the upper edge of this segment.
    Don't know who you people are talking to about price. I picked up a fully loaded sel for 500 under invoice and got 1 k in incentives. 2.0 ecoboost. You cannot touch that in an underpowered cx-5.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think they are talking about MSRP. Which is about the only way to really compare them at this point since the new Escape isn't even on dealer lots yet. Sounds like you got some kind of insider deal which I find to be a little too good to be true. A hot new vehicle usually doesn't get discounted like that until further into the model year and Ford certainly doesn't need to be giving them away at this point.

Ford selling brand new Escapes for below invoice already would be making the auto news and I haven't seen anything.
    That's not true, here's how my deal broke down on the VOC. Remove the fuel assessment and advertising fee from the invoice side and I got my Escape for $2176 under MSRP.

Retail Column:
    $30370.00 Titanium FWD
    $995.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg
    $825.00 Dest & Deliv
    $32190.00 Total

Dealer Invoice Column:
    $28321.00 Titanium FWD
    $868.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg
    $60.12 Fuel Charge
    $470.00 Adv Assessment
    $825.00 Dest & Deliv
    $30544.12 Total
    Two people getting supreme discounts on the barely available Escape? Proves my point that the car is not competitive in terms of factory pricing. Most people are still paying MSRP for a CX-5 4 months after the release. I have seen great discounts on CR-V's, but then again, that car has been on sale for 8 months and inventory is plentiful.

In any event, the Escape is really a nice CUV. They did a great job with almost everything, except price, IMO.

After driving one, I can see why people will buy one. I happened to purchase a CX-5 instead (E-Plan plus owner loyalty rebate).

Any way you slice it, now is a great time to be in the market for a compact CUV. The offerings have never been better.
  • jeffmh301jeffmh301 Member Posts: 1
    I order Giner Ale Titanium 4WD with Full leather seats,power roof,Myford hd w/nav, Mats-all weather, CARGO PRTCR-ACC, MSRP $36,195 Invoice on this was $33,615 (NADAGUIDES)
    They charge me $531 ADV ASSESSMENT AND $70.74 FUEL CHARGE to bring DELIVER INVOICE TO $34,216.74
    MSRP $36,195 - $1,695 ( BEST FORD NASHUA NH DISCOUNT) = $34,500 - $500 FORD REBATE $34,000
    Then charge me $499 for Documentary Preparation fee $34,499
    Then I got from Ford website, Receive a vehicle brochure by mail

Your personalized brochure includes more information about your vehicle of choice plus current offers and incentives available to you.
    a $750 PRIVATE CASH coupon. SAYS " You can use this $750 private cash offer in addition to any current publi offers" Take delivery from dealer stock by 7-07-2012.

So that bring my out the door total too $33,749 or $134 over invoice. Not too bad, just the $499 Doc. fee was too much :P
    edited June 2012
    Please post this over in the Ford Escape Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

And congrats on the new Escape!
    Nothing "insider" about my deal. If you are interested I can show you the numbers from Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake VA. I should have the car around the 25th. The cars are in every Ford lot around here right now and I got similar offer from another dealer. :)
    edited June 2012
    I took a test drive this morning. It was only about 5 miles, mostly surface streets and 2 miles or so on the freeway. I was pleasantly impressed with everything about the car. The ride was a little stiff, but handling was quick and responsive, pick up on the entrance ramp was excellent and cruising at 60 the passing power was equally excellent. I didn't expect the nice low engine growl, but liked it, and surprisingly didn't notice any turbo whine when I punched the gas. The seats are much wider and roomier for my derriere and the front seat area has a similar layout as my Focus, but with much more room. The rear seat folding was effortless and there is a lot of room behind the rear seats. I think I'll be able to fit my clubs and cart in the back without even folding the seats. The Escape I drove had the Panoramic Vista roof and I kind of wish I had ordered mine with one. Any second guessing I had regarding trading my 2012 Focus has now vanished.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Tim, what did you test drive, the 1.6l or 2.0l and fwd or awd? Thanks.
    2.0L Titanium, 4WD.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Why did you trade the 2012 Focus if I might ask? Not enough cargo room? Now that you've ordered and driven the 2.0, how would you think you would like the 1.6?
    I traded my Focus because yes, I need more cargo space, I want more power, more interior room and to sit higher on the road. I like my Focus, it gets great mpg's, runs well and has good pep for a small car, but it gets a little cramped when logging 14 hour driving days. I chose to get the 2.0L because I road trip a lot and travel to AZ for a month in the winter. The Focus seemed to labor in the mountains and I was a little concerned the 1.6L might be a little under powered for travel to higher elevations from the Valley. I think for city/highway use the 1.6L will be fine.
  • barneyrubblebarneyrubble Member Posts: 7
    The new 2013 Escape 1.6 turbo is on my list of vehicles to see and drive. Looks like it fits my requirements, but worried about the turbo. Never owned one so don't know how reliable they are. I just finished up over on the Eco boost discussions ( trucks and looks like some problems here with Eco Boost ), but still have not gathered enough information about the durability of this technology, you know fuel efficiency in the real world - and no mechanical problems. I don't ever want to visit a Ford dealership except for oil changes and the like.

IS THE TURBO SAFE TO BUY AND WILL IT GIVE REAL FUEL EFFICIENCY IN THE REAL WORLD????
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you live in Southern California, have Ford Sync or Cadillac CUE, and can take a tv crew for a short ride Sunday afternoon or Monday morning, please email [email protected] by Saturday, June 23, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wolandcawolandca Member Posts: 1
    I did a test drive of base model this Sat. Not bad at all. A bit noisy, but not so bad as in old 2012 model and suspension little stiff but not so stiff as in Toyota Matrix ;). I do not see any reason for paying extra for 1.6L Eco with almost same MPG and Ph. Am i wrong?
  • barb2010escapebarb2010escape Member Posts: 1
    This vehicle has had many issues the worst being that it "dies" without any warning whatsoever. It usually will restart. This has happened 4 times since mid winter 2011. The dealership has installed a recording device to try and obtain data on what is going on. They cannnot seem to replicate the issue but when I drive it, it is hesitating ALOT but it will usually recover and keep going.

There have been issues with a rear engine seal, starter and transmission and dealership has done whatever is necessary to fix those. I still feel the transmission is not optimal though.

Any ideas?
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    If it was me buying it? I would have no problem with the base engine.

My local Ford dealer has a base "S" model with a SOLD sign hanging in it. It had all the options I would need and a sticker of $23,800.

The 2.5L Duratec I-4 engine is a proven performer and in the FWD model, would provide good performance and economy.
    I took a peak at an SE model today & I could see that there was no vent on the center stack for the rear seat passengers. I thought they all came with it now? Is there a certain option needed to get the rear seat vents? Is it only available on Titanium & SEL models? A bit confused, would like to get one but not if it doesn't have this vent option, have pets that need the airflow going into the back area.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    check for the vents under the front seats.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    So is the SEL, not the SE, the model you need to buy to get the vents, I thought all models came with it now?
    Think I figured it out? By looking at the photos on dealers websites, it seems that the Escapes with the MyFordTouch option has the rear vents while the Escapes without MFT do not have the vents. Makes sense, Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control comes with the MFT.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    so you are so up on this vehicle

name where you are seeing all this so called bad- so many issues

not talking about goofy web sites- facebook nuts or twitter nuts
    state facts
    tell us where we can find all the faults of this vehicle- documented

I sure haven't been able to find anything to back up your biased opinion
  • tpangtpang Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I had test drive the other day when it was raining (July), the model is SEL 2.0T FWD. However, whenever I accelerate the car, i can feel the wheels were spinning at a faster speed but the car isn't moving (skid). I can actually feel it every time i start moving at each traffic light. The wheels are like running in the mud or sand. Has anyone have this issue with this model?
  • bretcampbretcamp Member Posts: 6
    So, anyone able to determine the hatch opening height yet? Thanks.
  • jdixsonjdixson Member Posts: 10
    I dropped a vertical from the lateral midpoint of the opening and it was 31 5/8".

Same measurement on my 2008 Mariner Hybrid was 33 1/4".
  • acinonyxacinonyx Member Posts: 1
    My local dealer says all shipments currently held up due to a recall. May be a bit before they get any more.

http://www.torquenews.com/1081/ford-recalling-2013-escape-suvs-brake-concerns
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure your local dealership has that quite right. It affects cars built between Mar. 8th, (which is before the retail order build date of April 9th) and June 7th and those vehicles would have already have been shipped. The issue has been resolved for all vehicles built after June 7th. My Escape was built on July 9th and is scheduled to arrive at the dealership in Minnesota the week of July 23, which means a little over three weeks factory to dealership.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    wise words- carpet that could get under the pedal- Toyota had the same recall
    how many Toyota's were recalled VS how many Fords
    edited July 2012
    The issue isn't the floor mat moving forward and getting under the brake pedal, it's that the carpet and trim piece stick out too far from the center console towards the pedal area. Because of the decreased space, the driver's foot may contact both the accelerator and brake at the same time. It's a possible problem vs. a real problem with the floor mats. But you're right, Ford did act quickly and got out in front of it, unlike Toyota. I read the problem was discovered by a line worker.
  • jim2766jim2766 Member Posts: 2
    Our new 2013 escape order is on hold, I was just informed today however our build date was after the cutoff date. This has me pissed.
  • marquise189marquise189 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 3.0L V6 Ford Escape Shake while in idle and while accelerating at about 45 - 55 mph. Sometimes I can speed up or slow down and it would stop. I only have this car to drive to college can you please help me ?
  • lwaddelllwaddell Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to buy a '13 Escape with a 2.0 engine. I like the Select because I want leather seats but don't really want the backup tech package and some of the fancy stuff that comes with Titanium. But I do want the roof rack. How hard and expensive is it to get a roof rack added at the dealership?
    If you ordered the 1.6L engine, there is a second recall for vehicles built to July 13.
    You can order an sel with roof rack.
    Clearly he can do that, but what if he doesn't want to wait 2 or 3 months and the one he wants is at the dealership?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm thinking a new set of spark plugs, and/or wires should correct that problem.