Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

First car under $10K

mondragueitormondragueitor Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in General
I'm about to turn 16 and I'm looking to get my first car, I have a budget of $10,000 and I live in the Austin, TX area. I want my first car to be reliable, easy to maintain, and customizable to a certain extent. I was thinking of a Jeep wrangler TJ, I will not do much off-roading but I love jeeps and I like the customizability of the vehicle. I would also like to look into a sports car, I know my budget is not very high but I am into cars and I would love to have a decently fast car with rear wheel drive and a manual transmission, I think that would be fun to drive and a little bit more practical than a jeep.
Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Sadly anything but a"FWD appliance" and you will not be able to afford insurance. Get an older Toyota or Ford pickup or else an older Camry or Buick. This is not what you want to hear.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

The first new car I bought with my own money was a CJ-5. But I had been driving for a few years.

I never was the best driver but while the Jeep was fun, it was always a bit squirrely. On the test drive I managed to hop a curb and land on the sidewalk thanks to the "different" driving characteristics. Two friends managed to roll theirs in what should have been minor fender benders at worse.

Go with the Miata - should be a lot of trouble-free fun.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

@suydam said:
    Sadly anything but a"FWD appliance" and you will not be able to afford insurance. Get an older Toyota or Ford pickup or else an older Camry or Buick. This is not what you want to hear.

According to the Highway Loss Data Institute the Miata is consistently rated "Substantially better then average" or "Better than average" with respect to loss payouts. Insurance premiums should reflect that. Completing the Street Survival course also usually results in a reduction in premiums.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

How recently have you looked at insurance rates for teenaged boys? Until you turn 25 they are insanely high. Insurance cost is also based on the driving habits of people who own different types of vehicles. For better or worse, people who drive Buicks tend to be more conservative drivers and are involved in fewer accidents.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited August 2014

@suydam said:
    How recently have you looked at insurance rates for teenaged boys? Until you turn 25 they are insanely high.

I have a 19 year old son with access to four BMWs, a Mazdaspeed 3 and a Wrangler TJ.

Insurance cost is also based on the driving habits of people who own different types of vehicles.

Are you saying that Miata premiums are set higher than normal- even though loss data doesn't reflect that Miatas are driven recklessly?

For better or worse, people who drive Buicks tend to be more conservative drivers and are involved in fewer accidents.

They still die horribly; of boredom. :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

Third opinion: Austin, Texas? When I was there, there wasn't a single place where it was quicker to drive than it was to walk or ride a bicycle. Traffic is just that bad.

• Options
    mondragueitormondragueitor Member Posts: 3
    I'm planning on using the car to go to school and soccer games, which occasionally are pretty far. I'm looking for a safe, economic, and reliable car that will be fun to drive. I've seen a couple BMW 2003 z4 in good condition for under 10K, and I've also been looking into the 350z. Let me know what you guys think
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Maintenance on a BMW will be much higher than on a Buick. And if it breaks, you will be bankrupt. A used 350z will have probably bean driven hard and put up wet.

Also agree with @corvette - traffic in Austin is bad, unbelievably bad.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options

I have owned ten BMWs and I currently have four in the garage; contrary to the opinions of some internet "experts" -who in most cases haven't even sat in a BMW- many models can be owned and operated for little more than a "practical" dullsmobile. That said, in your case any Z4 in your price range would have relatively high miles and I would not recommend attempting to run one on your budget. One BMW I would recommend would be a Z3 with the M44 1.9 four cylinder. That motor will run almost forever with proper care and the rest of the drivetrain is also quite rugged. The key is to find a good one- a pre-purchase inspection is crucial. And you cannot cut corners on maintenance. And even though the Zed is a reasonably simple DIY proposition, I'd still recommend that you find a good BMW tech. I know an excellent one in the Austin are. Send me a PM and I'll provide that information to you.

I'm not all that familiar with the 350Z, so, unlike so many others, I won't express an opinion about it.

As I said before, don't get beaten down and talked into driving a boring vehicle- life is too short for that; my first car was a pristine 1970 351 Mustang and as I noted above, my son's first car was a 1970 2002. Maybe if I had been sentenced to a dismal life of driving mundane transportation modules I'd also be suggesting that you buy a vapid example of automotive blandness as well.

However, I've heard it said that no one lies on their deathbed wishing they had spent more time at the office- and I believe the corollary to that is that no one lies on their deathbed wishing they had bought a Buick or Camry instead of a Miata or some similarly entertaining vehicle.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Every 16 year old's first car should be made out of solid rubber and be as utterly boring and un-cool as possible. If you carry that far enough, uncool becomes cool. ANYWAY...... If I were you, I'd just get "anything decent" for the first year, and postpone the "car of my dreams" reverie for a year or two down the road, after you've gotten your sea legs behind the wheel (rudder? sorry for the mixed metaphor) :) It will also be easier for you to sneak a Mustang or hot hatch into your insurance policy once you've proven that you can steer around large objects.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are under 35 and don't have your drivers' license because driving-related costs are too high for your budget at present, please email PR@edmunds.com before Monday, March 30. 2015 to be interviewed.
  • Options

I'm about to turn 16 and I'm looking to get my first car, I have a budget of $10,000 and I live in the Austin, TX area. I want my first car to be reliable, easy to maintain, and customizable to a certain extent. I was thinking of a Jeep wrangler TJ, I will not do much off-roading but I love jeeps and I like the customizability of the vehicle. I would also like to look into a sports car, I know my budget is not very high but I am into cars and I would love to have a decently fast car with rear wheel drive and a manual transmission, I think that would be fun to drive and a little bit more practical than a jeep.
    Thank you!

Did you find a car yet? What was it? I'm 17 and am looking too.