Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can a scanner or code reader be used on an engine that won't start? 2002 Mercury Cougar.

cheriwalker51cheriwalker51 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Mercury

My 2002 Cougar 2.5 wont start.Its getting fuel and spark. Ive changed the crank and cam
sensors. A new fuel filter and checked fuses and wiring. To check if its jumped time,Is
there a diagnostic test performed on a car that wont start. Does a scanner work without the engine running?

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Depends on the scanner; some work with just the ignition on. Others require you to start the engine and let it idle.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited September 2014

Sure. But to pull data you'll have to at least key the vehicle ON.

If you're getting fuel (at the right pressure) and spark, then you either have a compression/timing belt issue, (if you have the 4 cylinder) or your injectors are not opening. The injectors can be tested with a NOID light and the timing belt (if 4 cylinder) by observing that the engine cranks much faster than usual, or by removing the timing case cover.

• david399david399 Member Posts: 1
    What type of code scanner works with just ignition on? I have a 2007 Ford Escape 2.3L 4cyl gas only that wont start. The engine will turn over but won't start. For good reasons I've replaced the fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, fuel injectors, and all 4 coil and spark plugs. Any suggestions are welcomed?