Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Dodge Durango, 5.7 hemi 4X4 Electrical Problem

kiltymankiltyman Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Dodge
Hello, this is my first question. My battery is completely discharging overnight. Totally dead. I have checked the new battery (2mos. old) and have concluded it is not a battery issue. A 10 hour slow charge, with cables disconnected, will return battery to full charge and starting and all other functions appear to be normal as long as engine is running. I did however notice that on shutdown it sounded like the CD player was cycling while the key was off. I manually turned it off but there still seemed to be power to the radio? After the sounds quit I left the vehicle overnight and by morning it was stone dead again. If battery cable is disconnected overnight then reconnected it starts. My problem is where do I start to look for the problem? Has anyone had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated as you can imagine how frustrating it is to have to disconnect on every engine shutdown.

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So it sounds like you have some type of parasitic drain. Here's a good tutorial to get you started:

Parasitic Drain Tutorial--Tracking It Down
  • Options
    kiltymankiltyman Member Posts: 2

I have confirmed that it's a drain problem as the battery is 2 months old and tested out OK Tracking down the fault is another story. It is obviously a large draw as it can fully discharge the battery in less than 5 hours. Any suggestions or am I dealer bound?