Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    HGUY ---- Yes I also suspect the the stock Bridgestone tires on the Trooper seem to pull, especially at highway speeds. It's not that they pull because the truck is out of alignment, IMHO it's just that they are very sensitive to the slope of the road. Most roads, here in Florida at least, are sloped down from the center median so that rain will drain off the roads. It feels strange always having to just hold the steering wheel a tad to the left because the truck is always pulling just a little to the right, but if I drive down the left side of the road, the tires pull in the OTHER direction, towards the left. I even took the Trooper to the Isuzu dealer for be aligned and it is still the same. So I have come to the conclusion that the Bridgestones are simply very sensitive to this slope in the road. Perhaps other tires like the Dunlops or Michelins will tend to track straighter and so the truck will not seem to pull as much. Most passenger cars seem to be, for the most part, unaffected by the slope.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Sounds like a real deal. I have a 1999 Trooper and it thunks slightly when I move the leaver from Drive to Reverse but not a grinding sound. I would be a little suspicious of that and make sure it is indeed under warantee.

The price, $12,500, sounds especially great!! You mentioned that that 1998 drove better than the new Troopers --- that is the same observation I had before I found my new 1999 Trooper. I remember how great a 1995 LS Trooper drove and how wormy a new 1999 S Trooper drove. Could have been the type of tires on that 1995 I drove and on the 1998 you are considering.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Tell him to bring it to the dealer and have it checked before you buy it. Give him a deposit or something so he know's it a good faith purchase, and see what he says.

-mike
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    Paisan, maybe you know. Where can I find information on what was optional vs. standard equipment on a '95 Trooper?
    Isuzu changes the "packages" every year and it's tough to know which year they added what to which trim line.
    Any info would be helpful, thanks.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Hey, when I shift into 4WD I don't get the light on the instrument panel indicating such. The light does come on during a lamp check as the key is turned in the ignition. Any ideas??
    Happy Trooping !! :-)
  • cdanschwartzcdanschwartz Member Posts: 23
    hguy, just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy any car that made a grinding noise in the trans unless I knew that the dealer would fix the problem for free. The transmissions in these cars must cost a fortune. I wouldn't be surprised if they were over $5,000 to replace. Also, how do you know the dealer won't say the problem was due to abuse? Did the owner do a lot of off-roading or heavy towing?
    WOW, this sounds like a GREAT deal! It would be very hard for me to pass up if it were local to me. Going to the dealer for an inspection is the right rock. They could quickly answer the question about warranty and possibly the cause of the shifter noise. Sounds to me like the shifter linkage might be rubbing on the undercarriage or housing somewhere. Not much internal to the automatic transmission that could cause that noise. Heck, you could get the truck repainted for a couple thousand dollars and have any color you want! Still be a great price for this much truck!
    cdan is right on the cost of these transmissions. They are VERY expensive to replace if they have major internal problems. $4K - $5K is not out of the question. I would factor this in as to why the guy is willing to unload the Trooper for such a low price. Maybe he is afraid of what repair cost will be to fix it. Maybe he has already talked with the dealer and gotten the bad news. It may be a pig in a poke. BEWARE !!! Caution is warranted. Have it checked out by a reputable mechanic before you purchase.
    it's still under warranty? If it is, have him fix it before selling it @ the dealer. As for sites, try cars.com and automobile.com those seem to show older 90> and their options, etc.

-mike
  • hguyhguy Member Posts: 5
    The owner said that is still under warr. till october.The reason for selling is brand new MB ML320 he just bought. He said he just wants to get a $1000 more than dealer offered him.The guy owns some kind of business , and he needs transportation with some cargo room.There is no tow hitch or any signs of abuse .I agree with you guys it is a sweet deal ,but it may turn sour pretty queek.Thanks for advice!Back to the drawing boards :(...
    If he wants to get $1000 more than the dealer would give him on trade, he isn't much of a businessman. Think about it. He's asking $12,500. The dealer only wants to give him $11,500.The tax savings if he traded the car would be approximately $920 (assuming an 8% tax rate). So the guy goes to all the trouble to advertise and sell his car for $80? I don't think so. Either the dealer is offering him MUCH less, or there IS something wrong with the car that is not covered by the warranty. Be sure to get the name of the dealer who serviced the car and call.

If the car is really under warranty, and nothing has been excluded due to neglect or abuse, it could still be a good deal. But check carefully to see if the car has been in an accident or was previously stolen and recovered. That could explain everything.
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    Hi all, just installed a pair of Rancho 9000's on the back of my Troop tonight and it makes a huge difference in ride. The only question I have is that they seemed to make the back higher by about an inch? I seem to remember someone saying something about cranking up the torsion bars in the front to compensate or something..does anyone know anything about this? Also, I will be installing Rancho's in the front as well..do you think they'll bring the front up to the same height as the back?...
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    They might even things out, sometimes gas shocks can add a little height, though usually not as much as an inch. I would definitely wait until the 9000s are on the front before doing any adjustments.

If you do need to adjust the front ride height, there are two adjustment cam bolts near the ends of the front torsion bars, located about midway back behind each rocker panel. Crank them clockwise to raise, roughly one quarter inch per full turn. Usually turns pretty easy with a breaker bar and a 27mm socket, at least on newer rust-free vehicles.
    Many have commented on the so-so AC capacity of a Trooper. On Sunday I drove 4 hours in 97 degree heat, with dewpoint near 80 degrees, towing a 1,400 pound pop-up camper, 3 people in vehicle. Had no problem staying comfortable, including the back seat passenger, with fan on position 2 and recirc setting. Also, temp gauge never got above halfway.

So, what are the complaints about? It doesn't cool down fast enough upon initial start-up?
    1) anyone with a pre-2001 trooper can you check and see if you have an electric helper fan in front of your radiator. And 2001 Trooper people, can you check to see if you have one? I saw an Anniversary Edition @ the dealer and it had one, but I don't remember having one on my '00

2) Ride height shouldn't be effected by the shocks signficantly. The weight is held by the springs. Unless your rear shocks were totally shot, which is possible.

-mike
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Well I'll be. Stuck in the front of my 01 LS 4X4 is a blower fan mounted forward of the radiator. Only way to see it is to look thru the grill openings. About 10" diameter. No mention of it in the manual - and dealer said nothing - a surprise!!. On Thursday they will install the temp, compass, altimeter thing that comes standard on the Limited - I'm a data freek - so this is a cool thing to me. Question - the manual said the temp sensor is installed behind the radiator - that sounds wrong to me. Shouldn't it be in front of the radiator to resist external heat sources like the engine and a hot radiator? I will discuss this with the service department before they install it. Had one installed in the Tahoe I just sold and the sucker was dead on - was only a few degrees hot even after sitting in the hot sun all day - cooled off within 2-3 minutes after starting engine - sensor unit was in front of the radiator. After a week I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase - I have never gotten so many comments about what a nice looking vehicle this is - from 10 year old girls and teenage boys in the neighborhood to the grown up neighbors and friends as well. Also noticed that many of the links on isuzu-suv.com are not available includings paisan's site.
    Is my site :)

It's down currently. Got hit with code-red, but it'll be back tonight. Had to get another HD.

-mike
    I am not aware of such a fan on my 99 Troop, but I will double check...this is in front of the AC condenser as well as the radiator (visible through the front grill)?
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    Most of my trips don't consist of much more than a 10-15 min ride. After 10 minutes, no matter what the temp is, the Trooper gets comfortable - and stays that way.

The A/C absolutely sucks for short trips.

David
    http://isuzu-suvs.com:8080 should be working.

-mike

Anyone notice the current Burger King Commerical where the customer drives up to the the order window and is upside down in the vehicle -- looks like a Trooper to me - one of the older ones.
    Paisan, how is your website hosted. It seems rather slow - is it the host server or the connection to the Internet. Compare the response time of your site with my website at: www.Isuzu.8k.com

Mine is a being hosted by a free hosting service.

Or, is it how I get connected to the Internet?
    It's hosted on my DSL line. So yes, it's a bit slow right now due to the dang Code-red II Worm.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have a 1995 Trooper-S. I am very impressed with the quick cool down from hot parked all day in the sun condtion. I use an inside windshield sunshade that keeps the steering wheel from getting hot. I think the A/C in my 1995 Trooper is plenty, when I get out of the car my glasses fog in summer. On hot humid days, the outside of all the windows fog up when I get to warmer air on the way to work, so, in mid summer on a hot day I run the A/C with 1/3 to 1/2 heat added to prevent fogging the widows on the outside.
    Do I have an unusual Trooper? Do the 1995's have better A/C than newer Troopers? I suspect that a lot of cost cutting has been done over the years, the 2wd Trooper is a failed cost savings. If they made limited slip standard on 2wd they could have sold some, but instead limited slip was not even avaiable on 2wd Troopers. Sounds like a bean counter accidentally got in on the decision process where an engineer should have been. 2wd Trooper would have been a great place to introduce an awsome clutchless limited slip like the Torsen-Gleason which is all gears and no special maintenance.
    I told my wife about the paison rumor of the 2003 Trooper being a re-badged Tahoe or Suburban. She suggested (she suggested!) that I should get a 2002 Trooper instead of my usual 200K miles and 10 years minimum between new Troopers.
    Is my 1995 Trooper better than a 2002 Trooper? Is the A/C better? What else might have been cost reduced?
    If they make the Trooper a Tahoe, will they also introduce the GBX? The Isuzu web site lists the GBX with and ultra clean 3.0L 4cyl. Diesel. That is the engine that I want and I think I would like the GBX's practicality.
    Robert
    Do come with an LSD on the LS and Limited models.

The GBX will not ever be.

Long live the real troopers!

-mike
    Paisan,
    You must be running NT on your website if you are getting the Code Red virus. Last week my home PC, Windows 98, was infected with the Sir Cam 2 virus -- This is the second time my PC has gotten infected. Good luck.
    NT 2K server. Of course I have the patch now, but my ISP has turned off port 80, so now I'll have to come up with an alternative...

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I'd prefer that over a rebadged Tahoe though. http://www.isuzu.com/inside_isuzu/press_release.html#2

The specs indicate a real on and offroad truck. The wheels are large however.

I would guess that your 95 does indeed have "better" AC than newer Troopers. The difference is in the freon - the old R-12 freon is more efficient at the AC thang, but alas, depletes the ozone layer. Manufacturers switched to HC-134a freon in recent years...don't know which year the switch occurred for Troopers, but the new freon just doesn't cool as well.

You could check that on one of the engine compartment stickers, I believe, or perhaps the owners manual.

One of the downsides to R-12 these days is the cost of recharge. R-12 costs something like 10 to 20 times what HC-134a does now...
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Guys - I got to say something about this air conditioning issue. My 2001 a/c is just fine. I currently live in Huntsville, Al and the heat and humifity this time of year is legendary. It takes a few minutes to cool off a hot interior - all that surface area inside - especially leather seats - is adding to the cooling demand. I've owned enough vehicles down here - ones with the old freon and the new stuff to be impressed by the performance of the Trooper a/c. The Tahoe I just sold took longer to cool down the the Trooper - biggest difference is by cracking open the sunroof during the day most of the intense hot air goes out the top. Also, when I try to log on to the isuzu-owner.com site I'm getting some strange looking page - waz up ??
    I finally got my server back in order, but my DSL provider shut down port 80 on the http side, which is the port which is std for web pages to hit a server with. So now I'm working on a work-around so that it can be seen again from the outside world. It'll be back up hopefully tonight, but maybe not for a day or 2.

-mike
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    My AC works fine in my 01 LS in humid northern VA. After explaining the issue to a coworker, he said the the principles AC allow for units to be more efficient with more humidity. As Phoenix has such low humidity, that may be why we have such a difference here in the east and south. He and someone else that has lived in the southwest said normal AC in homes is pretty useless and that most use a unit called a swamp cooler which adds moisture to the air or nothing at all.
    Perhaps the addition of that fan on the 01 models is helping the A/C issues? We should track <01 v. 01 A/C being adequet or not.

-mike
  • kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2001 S and the AC seems to be more than adequate. The temperatures here in Chicago have topped 95 degF with heat indices > 100 and humidity > 70 %. I have had absolutely no problems with the AC, it cools within minutes and even my 8 month old chained in a carseat on the backseat has no complaints :). In fact I was just telling my wife how effective the Troopers AC is compared to our cars.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Another factor that could be looked at. I think Pre-2000 models have regular A/C, 2000+ has the Climate control. Just a thought.
    I have a 99 Ltd, and NO I don't have a helper fan in front of the radiator..How would that have anything to do with the AC?

Also, yup the 99's have regular AC and 2000+ have the push button climate conttrolled ones.

As for efficiency, my 99 is "ok" here in Texas where its been over 100 for about 20 days now. Would I like it to be cooler...certainly, but its not terrible by any means, not anything I'd rule the vehicle out for if it was part of a buying decision.
    My dealer here said that going back as far as the 99's some Troopers DID have that helper fan. He couldnt tell me why though..he said he believed it was based on whether you had a "towing package" or some other sets of options..he could not off the top of his head tell me the specifics though...
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    I just got an offer to subscribe to consumer distorts and tossed it into my round file system.
  • eschatfischeeschatfische Member Posts: 9
    I'm pleased to say that the air conditioning in my 2000 S has been doing just fine in the 95 degree heat here in Milwaukee. I'd heard people complain about the air on USENET before buying it, and was worried that it just wouldn't hold up, but it's been working really well.
    The dealer was wrong about the helper fans pre-01, at least in 98-00. There were never any "towing packages" offered because all isuzus are trailer ready sans the hitch.

The reason the helper fan *may* help out the A/C is because the A/C condenser cooler is right in front of the radiator, between that fan and the radiator. If there is a fan blowing directly on the condenser it can help it.

-mike

PS: http://isuzu-suvs.com is back up

• gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    The AC efficiency is largely a function of the amount of heat that builds up in the truck. If its in the sun all day and its 95 deg, its not going to cool down quick. If its in the shade and its 95 it will. When its in the sun everything is really hot, well over 100 deg. My CD player would not work properly because the CDs were so hot to the touch the other day. All that stuff needs to be cooled down. That's my take on it.
  • masbamamasbama Member Posts: 6
    I am this close (><) to buying a 2001 Trooper 'S'. I need to have some thing answered by you experts. How much will it cost to add the single or multi disc CD player? The dealer said 5-600 dollars. Can I have it done from an outside source and still use the main radio/tape control unit to run it? Thanks!
    St. Charles Isuzu. They have the best prices on parts and I think free shipping. I think it's about $400, but....

I bet you can pick up a brand new one from e-bay or someone on here that is upgrading to a custome unit, and will likely sell you the stock one for relatively cheap. There are no known 3rd party cd-players that work with the Isuzu head unit, at least not ones that are controlled by the stereo.

-mike
  • tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    Paisan and Masbama,

There is an aftermarket single CD player that is sold regularly on ebay under Isuzu Trooper. Supposedly it works the the factory Isuzu head unit and plugs into the head unit with no cutting of wires. It usually goes for about $200. The dealers usually sell the Isuzu 6-CD indash changer for about $700. If St. Charles has that unit for $400. That's not bad. But of course it would be better to get one from a Trooper owner for less. I wish I would have negociated for a CD changer when I bought my 2001. But hindsight is 20-20.

If anyone here has an Isuzu in-dash CD player or even better, a changer they want to sell that works with 2001 head unit, just email me. I would be interested. I believe 1998-2001 head units are all the same.

Gary
    tntmyth@bellsouth.net
    You can buy a single in-dash CD player that fits in the pocket below the radio/cassette, and is controlled by the CD controls on the factory radio, from Crutchfield. The cost is $200 and the unit comes with a 3 year warranty.

Or, for $200, you can buy an in-dash 4 disk changer, made by Sanyo/Excedio. This unit fits exactly in the dash where the factory radio went, and used the existing brackets. If purchased from Crutchfield, it comes with a connector that uses the factory wiring with no cutting. I bought and installed this unit and the sound is night and day better than the factory unit.

BTW the factory unit is an el-cheapo made by Fujitsu Ten. I was told by St. Charles Isuzu that the factory add-on CD is also an el-cheapo - except that it costs a lot.
    Swamp coolers work in Arizona because the low ambient humidity allows for evaporative cooling to take place...that wouldn't work when the dewpoint is already 70 or 80.

And I don't believe humidity has anything to do with how efficient an auto AC is, because excess heat is dumped via the condensor located in front of the radiator, humidity has no effect on metal to air heat transfer...

But having said that, AC may subjectively FEEL like it is doing more in humid climates, because of the humidity (condensation) removed from the air when cooling it (which is why your vehicle drools water underneath when the AC is on), in addition to the temperature decrease.
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Aloha again ya'll...figured it was time for me to give ya'll another update on my life with the new Trooper...

Just passed the first three months and took the Troop' in for the 2nd service/oil change with about 8,200 miles on board...went smooth and quick and was happily back on my way...

Until the next day when that pesky ol' REDUCED POWER light came on with his friend CHECK ENGINE...needless to say I had begun to wonder if this was just some kind of a joke or if the lights were keyed into be idiot lights warning of the need to do an oil change (which had just been done, but maybe the numnut service dude had forgotten to flip a switch or something, right?)...turns out that something blew internally in the "accelerator sensor beneath the pedal" and they've ordered in a new part which they will install tomorrow morning....which is a good thing, b/c I don't mind as long as it's fixed...driving this puppy around on REDUCED POWER is like trying to tow a 5,000 lb trailer with a 4-cylinder puddle jumper up-hill. So, now all that remains is for me to attempt to deduce if I just lucked out with a bad part or if it's the weight of my size 13s that broke the sucker or if I actually move faster off a light than Paisan...*grin*...which I somehow doubt...

Anyway, aside from that, I'm lovin' T3 (as evidenced by the mileage - I've gotta slow down or I'm gonna pass 30k in the first year)...but I just figured I'd keep ya'll posted since I seem to be the only one who ever gets to see these lights...btw, it's a 2001 Trooper LTD 4x4 Black w/Gold Package for anyone who missed the much earlier posts...

Hope ya'll are truckin' well...---Cobbo
  • i30g20i30g20 Member Posts: 24
    Way back in post #1486 a fellow went to Checkered Flag Isuzu in VA Beach and bought an "S" for 18,995 plus fees. The way I figure it 19,000/27,300 = x/32,000 (the denominator is the invoice for the "S" and "Limited"). Now x=22,300 plus fees. At that price I'm willing to pay the junk fees. Here's what I get for an out the door price: 22.3k + 690 (3% tax) + 695 prep + 610 dest + 60 (city tax and transfer) + 350 advertising = $24,710. I'm told that is a steal and probably will not happen. Is there a problem with my math? Has anyone gotten a limited for around $25k? I understand that 2002 is the last year for the Trooper [:-(
    ... so that means they will probably be discounting them even more to get them out the door.
    Comments?