Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    Mike - we've discussed this before, and I know where you stand on the issue. No problem.

I disagree regarding your comment about the frame taking all of the damage. If that were true, why do you find the need to protect the bumper? If the bumper were solid, it would transfer all of the impact to the frame--not necessarily a good thing. The bumper, sheet metal with a foam core, will collapse as it is hit, thus lessening the G-forces transferred to your body--a good thing.

Now, the hitch. Although I have no solid evidence, I can envision a scenario where you get rear-ended with your bumper protector installed. When the steel hitch pin shears, the 2" square hitch gets driven forward. Perhaps I was inartful when I said "receiver." What I really meant was the part stuck into the receiver.

I don't really know if any of this will happen. And I understand your perspective because you live in NYC and don't want countless flaws on your rear bumper cover. But I don't think you can conclude that routing impact forces through the hitch assembly is a good thing without some kind of test. At least we know that the bumper has met some kind of standard.

Again, though, this is like oil changes. Run what you want for as long as you want. I don't mind. But I may not agree with your choices.

Tom
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    There are ZERO bumper standards on SUVs.
    The bumper cover covers nothing, there is nothing under that that "absorbs" the impact you speak of. If you notice on all new Full-size SUVs (Tahoe, Excursion, Explorer, Expedition, Suburaban, Trailblazer) there are reciever hitches mounted directly behind the cover (no foam) and stick out past the bumper cover, this transfers the force to the frame directly as well.

As for the reciever pin "snapping" That isn't going to happen, if anything they would bend, but not snap. Even so on most hitches the back of the receiver is solid, the tounge couldn't slide forward through it.

This theory of yours is very flawed, this would mean that anytime you are trailering something behind you, you leave yourself open to this happening.

Sorry to say that you are just wrong in this situation, especially without having any test or real world evidence of any of your "theories" ever occurring.

-mike
    Mike - I'm glad to see that your theories are backed by evidence as well. If you think a 3/4 inch round piece of steel can't be snapped, or that the backing plate of the receiver will protect you, then you're deluding yourself.

And you are exactly right about trailering. The difference is that the thing you are trailering can bend, break, or move sideways a lot easier than getting rammed straight on into the receiver. Not true with just the ball sticking out of the receiver.

I tire of this discussion. Like I said before, it's like oil changes. There is no right answer, at least without more information.

Tom
  • buranburan Member Posts: 15
    hello folks,
    i am knew to the forum. i've been reading it and it looks like a lots of info and help for trooper owners. so i have some small problem that i hope someone can give me suggestions for.
    I have '02 Trooper with 12k on it now. at about 9 k a noticed small leak from TOD. the leaking fluid is defenetly ATF, driping from TOD (at least what it appears), the dealer claimed that the problem is a seal in transfer case(?!). i figure they know what they doing, so they replaced the seal. at 1st it appeared that leak is gone, however a month later (about week ago) i noticed that some leaking is still there (less then original).
    did dealer diagnose the problem corectly on the fist place? or it is a new problem.
    thanks Stan
    There are only two places that will leak ATF (assuming none in the power steering system): Transmission or TOD. Those are your two choices and they are hard to confuse. You are probably right.

Interesting that you have had the problem twice. I have never seen that problem here on the forum before.

You may want to consider shopping for a new dealer if you are in a metro area.

Tom
    Your theory would be partial viable if you backed into an immovable object, but 99% chance you'll be getting rear ended by a honda, and that tounge will go through the front of the honda much easier than that pin snapping.

To each his own...

-mike
  • chiefdocchiefdoc Member Posts: 22
    For the response about the Yakima rack. I ended up not going with Yakima's recommendation to place the front Q Tower 6" from the windshield, here's what I did, as I plan to use a cargo carrier every now and then, so far. I placed the front Q tower and bar 2 inches forward of the rear edge of the front door and the rear set about 3 inches from the rear edge of the rear door, 32 inches apart. This seems to give me enough distance for what I need now and most importantly they are firmly inplace.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    That should be fine. The main reason I picked 3/4 inches was to hopefully keep the weatherstripping seal good at the back of the door.

Another tip is to treat the weatherstripping once or twice a year with armorall or silicone. I use armorall with a papertowel. It keeps the rubber softer and seals around the roof rack towers/feet more easily.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Hi guys .... I'm planning on changing the fluid in my TOD transfer case this weekend. Has anyone here done this and do you need to replace the seals on the drain and fill screws when you do the fluid change?

I know it's a requirement for the trannie, but I don't know what the deal is with the TOD.

Any other tips?
    Savvas - there are no seals on those plugs. They seal like plumbing joints--friction. If you want to seal them, put a little pipe joint compount on them. I didn't put anything on them and they sealed fine.

Tom
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    There is no any gasket under the drain and fill screws. Also I didn't put anything on the screws when I was changing the fluid . One month has passed since I put new ATF, the screws are dry. But I put a new gasket under a sensor (to the right from the drain screw) because of some leaking was there.
    Yup no gaskets on the TOD unit.

-mike
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I knew I'd find you here. Looks like that mean wagon is really going to happen, not with 430 hp, but still with a VERY respectable amount...

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00470802

Jim
    340hp isn't a bad place to start off at :)

-mike
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    Hey guys, glad the Trooper link is still going on strong.
    Anyway, I have a maintenece question regarding my bro in law's 2000 Passport, (Sadly, there's no Passport discussion board). Anyway, I think the V6 used in his `Port is the same unit used in the >'98 model Trooper???
    His 'Port has been giving him a hard time when starting the engine when cold. Sometimes requiring 3x or more tries before it finally starts. He says his mechanic says he needs to replace an ion sensor(?) but he's wondering if he can just adjust the idle a bit so that it doesn't die after he starts it. But, he can't find the idle screw. If anyone has any info regarding how to fix this little problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, the 'Port has ~60K, what type of maintenece is usually required at this point?
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has info on the Passport. There are a few Passport discussions in the archives, but I doubt that there's much in them to help with your BIL's problems.

Steve, Host
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I'm not sure there is an idle adjustment screw, I think that is all computer controlled now on the fuel injected engines (I could be wrong though).

Anyway, your BILs problem could be the fuel pressure regulator, or possibly the intake manifold gasket (FPR is more likely IMO).

The mechanic could have been referring to the oxygen sensor, but AFAIK that doesn't come into play for cold starts. On most designs the computer doesn't even take information from the O2 sensor until the engine is warmed up.

The Rodeo board is probably a good place for Passport questions, they are basically the same vehicle.
    right? Maybe even 190 hp? Depending on the year.

Jim
    What temperature you mean by "starting the engine when cold"? Anyway, try to change fuel filter and sparks, also be sure its starter turns quite good. Concerning the oxygen sensor, Sdc2 is right: it doesn't work when you are starting the engine.
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for all yalls help.
    I checked the Rodeo section first cuz they are the same vehicle, but I usually check the Trooper discussions daily cuz hopefully soon I'll be able to finally buy one. Love the Trooper!
    Umm, I think the V6 is rated at 205 hp, its been awhile since the 'Port has been serviced and my BIL is kinda used to working on older vehicles so that’s why I thought I'd ask here first. I think eventually he’s gonna take it in for the 60K maintenance, but he kinda wants to do some of the maintenance himself.
    Sorry I should have been clearer, it’s hard to start after it has been sitting for a while, so it's the engine that’s cold. I thought fuel filter too, but maybe the spark plugs and wires need replacing, so I'll let him know.
    Thanks also Steve for the link, I've been looking for a way to look up TSBs. How do they work anyway, do let the dealer know about the TSBs that affect your car and do they have extra info regarding how to fix the problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    TSBs are more "advisory" than obligatory. Your mechanic may not appreciate you showing up with a laundry list of TSBs with a demand that they all be done. Especially if the full TSB says that only a few models made on Fat Tuesday between 9 and noon are affected.

Some people go in with a complaint and mention they saw a TSB that sounds like it may apply. Others wait until the dealer says "cannot reproduce" and then they bring the TSB out. Still others say they saw a TSB and would like to see the "full" text since we only have summaries here. This gives them a lead in to ask the service writer whether their car needs it.

Anyone have a favorite technique?

Steve, Host
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    With a bad one, the longer it sits the more pressure and fuel that can bleed from the fuel line. It takes several cranks before the fuel pressure is back up to spec.
    Have your friend turn the key to ON for a few seconds before cranking. That starts the fuel pump and repressures the line. If the vehicle starts fine using this technique you likely have found the problem.
    I really doubt your friend has an ion sensor problem. It would be the first one I have ever heard of. Also I would think that would cause problems at all times not just for the first couple of failed cranks.
    The passport is the same DOHC engine found in the Rodeo. But the problem to me sounds like either:
    1) Fuel Pressure Regulator or
    2) Intake Manifold Gasket

If the car has problems pre-start, then it's the fuel pressur regulator if it's post-start til the engine is warm, then it's probably the intake manifold gasket.

Welcome to the crew by the way.

-mike
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Hey guys,

What's happening? 6 days without a post!
    Will be wiring in a brake controller for my new flatbed trailer I bought sometime this week.

-mike
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Well the time is near to replace the stock Duelers. So I want to up a size or two - was thinking 265-70-16 (good size)?) - but think I need to change the spare (unused) as well - so if I can get my hands on a discarded used 265-70-16 will the spare tire cover still work. I also want to change out the rear springs and I know some of you have done this - what do you recommend - also should I do anything to the torsion bars - or leave well enough alone? If I crank them a turn or two (how much) I want to do this before I align and replace tires. Thanks
    I've never heard such A\C sound on my previous cars as the Trooper does. It sounds like a howl or defective power steering. Though I'm satisfied of A\C cooling on my truck, this gets me not great trouble. So, it might be good if the sound I hear is a usual thing for Troopers and there is no reason to be worry.
    I'd go for 275-70 personally. It's a slightly bigger tire, but it's also wider which is nice :)

Springs I'd go for OME 912s or 919s.

I'd do the springs first then crank the T-bars then do the tires. As for the spare, it's debatable which way to go. I kept the stocker as a spare, others go for the 5-tire dealio.

-mike
    I have started to get an idle surge after the vehicle is warmed up. I had my catalytic converter changed a few months back and then a check engine light came on I think code "440" or "404"?. It mostly drops when I shift into park at a stop...it bounces and then normalizes, but slightly lower than the normal. More like 600 than 800-1000 rpm.

I had my thermostat replaced which also replaced my IMG so I am thinking it might be something with the fuel pressure regulator? Any ideas?
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    The spare tire cover only works with stock sized spares.
    I went with 255/70/16 Dueler A/T Revo tires and am very happy with the ride / handling / noise level.
    Going to larger tires will reduce your MPG, IMO based on the weight of the tires. The tire store can tell you shipping weight for each tire size so you can decide how heavy you want to go. Bigger tires look great on Troopers.
    I wanted to go with 265/75 or 275/70 until I saw the weights, nearly double the stock tire weight! Then I decided to go with the 245/75 load range C and ordered them. When the tires arrived, they were load range E which are 30% heavier than load range C and would ride like a cement truck, so I turned them down. I was out of time before a trip and the 255/70 were available so I went with them. They were awsome in the snow. Maybe next time around I will finally go for the big ones, and get a small car (turbo Subaru maybe, but then my wife will want to drive it and I'll be stuck driving the minivan...Hmmm) for the daily commute.
    Thanks for replies - but tell me more about "debate" of keeping the stock spare tire if the ones on the road are a different size - I thought TOD not too forgiving for mixed matched tires. Also, did the new rear springs help settle out the suspension - even with the poly bushings and Rancho gas shocks the Trooper still pitches when braking and the body sway in the turns could be better
    If you put on a smaller spare (thats what I run) you need to disengage TOD if you run that spare tire. For me if I get a flat I'm gonna get it fixed shortly after so I can deal with a "donut" tire until I get the original tire fixed. In 53K miles I only needed to put the spare on 1x recently and it wasn't much trouble.

-mike
    The springs helped mostly due to their progressive rate, I don't bottom out the rear suspension when trailering as I used to. Not sure if they helped the lean much, a heavier sway bar (from the vehicross) could probably help reduce lean a bit better. I've drifted my truck and pretty much drive it like I stole it w/o any handling problems.

-mike
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    is it just a tach surge, or can you actually hear the engine vary?

My tach has two modes.
    1) working 100% normal
    2) reading 500 rpm low @ idle and 500 rpm high above 1500 rpm.

It seems to switch between these two modes at will.

Remember that these engines are controlled by a cpu, so if the engine actually is surging, it's more than likely a sensor or cpu problem.
    The 440 code is the gas cap being on too loose. 404 is the EGR valve which indeed may be your problem. It could be carboned up causing erratic movement and an erratic idle. Given the reports lately of plugging EGRs, it might be a good idea to check it in any event. If it is dirty, make sure you also clean its inlet tubing.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    I got a damage estimate, and check, of $3,000. Edmunds True Market Value of a typical 1999 Trooper is: TMV® Dealer Retail: $10,778

Even if one factors in the Luxury/Performance options on my Trooper, the Retail comes to $14K, and Trade-In at $10K. The hail damage of $3K is a high percentage of the value and while the damage is noticable, it is not that bad.

Its amazing how far our Troopers have dropped in value. If I were in the market for an SUV, I would try and find an outstanding example as the price is definitely attractive.
    On Edmunds pricing of used Troopers, I find that color affects the Retail price as follows:

+$94 = Red
    +$44 = White
    +$37 = Dark Red
    +$30 = Silver

-$33 = off white (Creme)
    -$42 = Black
    -$53 = Dark Blue
    -$60 = Dark Green

Looks like Green is the least favorite color.
    Thanks for the feedback. It almost stalls, so it isn't the gauge. It is when I put it in park after warmed up, or if when warm I shut it off and then start it up again. The second scenario it will really bounce several times unless I give it gas. I will have to dig up my paperwork and check the code again.

How do I check the EGR valve? Anyone know of any online diagrams I could view? Do you think that could be related to having my catalytic converting going a few months back? i.e. warranty repair?
    I went with P265/70R16 Dueler A/T's all around including the spare. The place gave me credit on my unused spare ($71) towards a new purchase.

The cover doesn't fit and the place I had the work done ripped mine slightly trying to put it back on. If you are going to replace the spare ahead of time...take you cover off before you go in.

I am sure the tires added weight and are heavier than stock...but I cannot notice any driving difference related to that?

The A/T tires are noticable at highway speeds. Smooth and quiet, but there is a little vibration, especially on grooved roads, they seem to pickup road variations more than the stock.
    It could be that the EGR valve plugged causing the engine to burn oil and that fouled the cat. Then again there are no doubt other equally or maybe more plausible theories.

My take FWIW is that the only way to really check the EGR valve is to open it up and look at it.

Here are some posts about the EGR valve - http://www.4x4wire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=68;- - - t=010615

leedavidyoung "Isuzu Maintenance & Repair" Jan 22, 2003 12:06am

A search here will also turn up many more EGR posts.
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    I've been having that problem while in park/neutral when the engine is warm/hot since early Feb on my 99. I think it's the intake manifold gasket as I can hear the 'hiss' more and more. My CEL has been going on/off for several cycles as well. The trucks performance/mileage is otherwise unaffected though the truck burns a bit of oil. Are you sure the dealer replaced the IMG when the thermostat was replaced?

I did pre-order my gaskets and scheduled a service next week. I guess I'll have 'em check the EGR system as well.I might have Autozone check my code too since CEL is on again.
    I am not sure if they replaced it or not when they did the thermostat - they did remove the intake manifold...but that may not be the same thing?

It was replaced when I had my engine rebuilt a ways back...long story and a lot of water.

On the wire there was mention of a TSB? I will have to look into that.
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    Basically, there are 3 gaskets, one for the top manifold(thin paper gasket which should not be the problem) and the ones(the thick plastic gasket) on each side of the v6 which is prone to cracking during very cold weather.
    Think I will go with 265-70-16's - I have been reading good reviews on the Yokohama Geolander's and their price is certainly attractive - either that or spring for the Michelins. Also. my 2001 LS has always had a slight surge when starting in the morning - but it is getting worse - soon as I back out of the driveway it is pretty well over and only happens when the engine is cold - thought it might need reprogramming - thoughts? After two years and 36K miles this truck is like new and I still look forward to starting my day in it. Beefier looking tires, new rear srings and some cranking on the torsion bars are planned upgrades - Thanks for help
  • gprodickgprodick Member Posts: 36
    For those entertaining a tire upgrade, my recommendation is the Bridgestone A/T Revo. I recently used up a set of Scorpions, size 265/75. I didn't think much of them. The were relatively noisy, always there was some vibration that repeated balancing could not remove, and the snow traction was marginal, in my opinion. I got about 35,000 miles of wear out of them.

I have about 4,000 miles on the new Revos. They are sweeeet! Again, they are 265/75. This time I got the standard load rating rather than the "C" load rating. The ride is exceptional - very quiet and smooth. There is no vibration. They actually feel round. They track much better than the Pirellis. As we are now out of the winter mode around here, I have not had a chance to test their snow traction.

These tires have made my Trooper feel new again. You can get them at the Tire Rack. I know they are very popular and supply can be a problem.
    I've had good luck with m scorpions so far. Roughly 25K miles on em. Next time I'll be going with either 275-75 or 305-70s so I may try the revos. I've heard VERY good things about them. Nice thing I have a wholesale tirerack account :)

-mike
    After checking...It was code "440". I have an appointment Monday to get my yearly inspection and this sorted out.

Another note regarding steering play and a clunk on center steering. The dealer really has given me the runaround trying to get this fixed. They said that even if they try to fix it, they could even make it worse?

Well I said OK, if that is what you think...but I want a "safety inpection" performed and you guys to put on paper that you recognize the issue, it is not fixable and that you deem it not to be a safety concern.

That put them into a tizzy. They do not want to sign off and say that it is OK to have. To that I said "if you cannot vouch for its safety...then fix it, either way I will be satisfied". We will see where this approach gets me.
    just got the Trooper back from its day at the $1,000.00+ spa.

It drives so nice. All ticking is (temporarily, I'm sure) gone, the tranny is really quiet, like some had mentioned experiencing after flushes and fills, and the tech showed me the timing belt. It was stretched almost 2" and had a very definitive point at which every tooth or rib was glazed. Very glad it didn't break. If you'll recall, my 1998 4x4 is recommended to be changed at 60k with heavy use or 75k with normal use. I deemed my use to be normal, and I appear to have been right, just barely. Also....drumroll please....I strolled right up to the mechanic himself and asked the million dollar question, is it or isn't it? (interference). His reply? No it is NOT. Who knows if he's right. I'm confused by the whole thing, but this is just one more perspective/opinion.

Jim
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I have mixed feelings about my Scorpions...I too have had balancing/vibration issues, but have just finally narrowed it down to one out-of-round tire that will be my spare for the rest of its life.

Snow traction seemed fine, although it is hard to compare until I get something else.

As far as wear, I already have 35K on them and at least 10K left to go by the looks of it. I will probably get something new by winter, though. I once made the mistake of trying to skate through the winter on marginal tires and it cost me.

On the plus side, they have given me fantastic traction in Moab for 3 years running. I have gone up some of the steepest slickrock climbs out there with little or no tire spinning, certainly less slippage than anyone else in the trailride groups. Of course, I tell them it is driver skill... ;-)

I am thinking about BFG T/A KOs for my next tire. I am also wrestling with the idea of two sets of tires (daily use vs off-road). Still not sure what to do, my problem is I would like to go to 33s for off-road, but don't really want that big of a tire for daily driving.

BTW Tirerack has posted a test of 3 AT tires:

http://tirerack.com/tires/tests/value_offroad.jsp
    Regarding tire upgrade, I got the Bridgstone Dueler H/L's and they too have improved the ride and handling of my 1999 Trooper.

What is the difference between the Bridgestone A/T Revo and the Dueler H/L's?