Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Here are some massive troopers!

http://www.4x4mountainsport.com/

-mike

• sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I thought the hummer had independent suspension. No?
    Any pointers for this OME (OEM?) lift kit?

What kind of tires will they take?

What about headers/exhaust?

Anyone put a performance chip in theirs?

Do any (all?) of these apply for a 1997 model?
  • duktrooperduktrooper Member Posts: 78
    Sasquatch....did you hit the lottery or do you have the infamous Trooper spending bug where the more you saved on buying it, the more you want to spend upgrading it.

Try scrolling back through earlier posts on this wire for answers to some of your questions. Also, try www.4x4wire.com.
    I am trying to get the most "bang for the buck".

If I can pick up a used Trooper, make a few modifications, and get a decent vehicle, with good power, etc, all in one shot for not a lot of money, so be it.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    If you take a look at the technology in the 3.5L Trooper engine, there is already plenty of technology to start with and it may be difficult to get more power out of such a highly refined engine. This is why I am looking into why the Axiom has more power than the Trooper and how to use Isuzu technology for the upgrade. If the ECU is different, unless the chips are swappable, this could be real expensive. Engine compression is 9.0 and it is designed more for low end torque than high winding HP.

I have not heard of anyone dyno testing Trooper upgrades, so any claims of performance increases may be minimal if non-existant. That being said, here is my bang-for-the buck list:
    1. K&N filter.
    2. Cold air intake mods. May do nothing because of limited flow on the rest of the intake side (i.e. throttle body, MAF sensor etc.)
    3. Axiom ECU ???
    4. Custom mandrel-bent cat-back performance muffler.
    I think the axiom ECU is going to be a direct drop in re-placement. If you look under the hoods, you can see that the connections are 100% the same, which would signal to me that they could do a swap easily. In fact I'm gonna call a dealer today and find out how much an axiom ECU costs.

-mike
    Why not give a look at Superchips.

I think the last I saw of them, Isuzu was one of their best gaining applications.

(Maybe Isuzu bought the chip from them for the Axiom?)

Does the Axiom take premium unleaded? Trooper? That might make a diffence right there.
    They all run on 87...

I tested the Trooper on 93octane for 1000miles (at about 10K miles on the truck) and it provided no additional milage and no acceleration gains or power gains on the butt dyno.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I just looked at the Superchip website:

"Isuzu Amigo, Rodeo and Trooper:
    Reprogramming these vehicles requires more gas at full throttle and radically tuned part throttle timing changes to get the best performance, and it worked -- by a big margin! as you can see by the chart the peak HP at the wheels rose significantly. The horsepower rose by 10% and the torque increased by 13% throughout the power band and made them really pull at the bottom end & did not run out of breath at 3000 RPM as they seem to when stock.

The difference is quite extraordinary and these are probably one of the most effective conversions we have done. The overall gas mileage does not change and the normal running characteristics of the engine are as normal. There is no down side to the conversion and we do not expect the life of the vehicle to change significantly."

They don't list one for the 3.5L, and I'm not sure if the listed gains are applicable to all of the other Isuzu engines (and also the 2.8L made by GM) equally.

Also, unless you have the old GM V6 you have to send your ECU to Superchips for the conversion because they have to unsolder the old chip to replace it.
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    paisan---I thought someone noted previously that there was a little better mpg at higher octane. So your experience was that there was no change in the mpg?

Even if the mpg rose from 16 average to 17 average per gallon, one would come out about even in cost on going to 89 octane from 87 octane. It should also be better for the engine, I would think. I was going to give that a try.
    maybe 1mpg from 87 to 92. It might have been 1 if you rounded it up. And contrary to popular belief, higher octane is not any better for your car unless you experience pinging of less performance with lower grade. The lower octane actually gives you a stronger spark, IIRC.

-mike
    ...is NOT usually better for the engine, that is a fallacy left over from the days of carbuerated engines. Todays computer-controlled engines simply do not benefit from higher octane - except for a few circumstances on some engine management systems, where the higher octane allows the computer to advance the timing a little more before knocking occurs. But, the ONLY time this will only happen under full-throttle acceleration.

Bottom line is, use the octane recommended by the manufacturer.

Heck, some manufacturers recommend AGAINST higher than recommended octane, because it can lead to increased carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, which will actually cause more pinging! This has been a particular problem with the Chevy 4.3 V6, for example. The natural reaction when you hear pinging is to go to higher octane, which just aggravates the vicous cycle.

I just hate to see people throw away money on higher octane. I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Actually, it has to do more with the ignition than the carbs (if at all).

You are right in that if it is not pinging, why bother? However, if you can advance the spark (causing pinging with lower octane), then higher octane has a benefit. You can either manually advance (older cars) or electronically (newer cars).

That is part of what the computer chips do.
    what is recommended for the trooper 3.5L. I know some places sell 86 octane for example. Obviously, if you go too low that could be bad. I thought I noticed a knocking going up a hill at low speed the other day. I guess the falacy is that the low octane does not burn as clean, but with the water and other junk (MTBE) often added in the gas, just getting a clean gas is important. I've also heard, don't fill your tank while a tanker truck is filling the mains in a station. That stirs up a lot of dirt in the gas.

As I recall, on the old carb engines, fine tuning the timing to just above the knock was the best.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I am considering a 94-98 Trooper as a replacement for my faithful 89 Cherokee Ltd. Any opinions about the differences between those years of Troopers, or why one year might be better than another? From what I've read, the 3.2L SOHC got upped from 170hp to 190hp in 96, and the 98 changed to the 3.5L. Also shift-on-the-fly 4WD was added in 96, and TOD made available in 98. Any other significant changes? Is TOD really a good thing? It seems like a over-complicated system with more opportunities for failure and limited benefit. Is the small difference in the 3.2L power noticible between the 95 and 96 models? Is the 3.5L a big improvement over the 3.2L? Are there any significant differences in supension and handling? I drove a 95 Trooper LS and it definitely felt more boat-like around town than the Cherokee does. I'm also a bit concerned about the stories of excessive oil consumption in the Troopers. That just doesn't seem right. Does this tendency exist in both the 3.2L and 3.5L?

My decision is pretty much narrowed down to getting a Trooper or keeping the Cherokee. The Cherokee is a little small and is starting to look pretty ratty on the outside. On the other hand it's got a great 4WD system, strong engine, and handles well on the road. The main benefits I see in the Trooper are space, reliability, and looks. I don't like many of the other SUVs out there, and I want something with the heart of a truck and not a car. Nothing else except the Trooper strikes me as much of an upgrade for a reasonable cost.

Any comments or info would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The TOD system is AWSOME. It put 15% power to the front wheels above 10mph, this has helped me numerous times when on-road during rain, snow, and just about any other condition. It varies the torque up to 50/50 based on traction. The space on these trucks is pretty darn big! The cherokee is a great truck, but it is a lot smaller than the Trooper. Routinely these trucks go to 200K miles. The 3.2l in '97 IIRC was the DOHC one that puts out 205hp. In '98->'01 puts out 215 and you can feel it. You can always lock in the 4wd system to 4wd lo which gives you the 50/50 split. Also some or all of the '98s have a rear LSD. As for oil consumption, it's hit and miss, on here I think about 50/50 are split who have oil consumption. I burn about 1Q per 2K miles running synthetic. There is more info at http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike

• sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I would get a '99 new. There are many still on lots. You could probably get a brand new '99 or '00 for sub $20K. In PA I know a dealer that has a new '99 still on the lot.
    Oh yeah just as a testimony to the Troopers with TOD:

200' long driveway
    40 degree angle
    1.5'-2' of snow, 3.5' snow bank at the bottom.

Bone Stock Trooper (including tires)

Made it up this driveway spinning a bit. The best part of TOD is that it is usable in all conditions, and when the going gets rough, it will put 50/50 split, then 0/100, then 50/50 cyling through giving the front wheels a chance to grip the surface.

-mike
    I looked at the Superchips site too and did not see a listing for '98-up Troopers. Starting in '96, all manufacturers were required to be OBDII compliant. The engine management systems in OBDII compliant vehicles are self diagnosing and many times adaptive. Depending on conditions such as temperature, wear on components, fuel quality, the engine management system remaps fuel and timing curves for optimum operation within original design parameters. That's why we get so much power and clean air out of the 3.5L which used to take a larger displacement V-8 only 10-15 years ago. The adaptive nature of OBDII makes it very difficult for software remapping to "take" and I suspect that most of the benefits of these modifications are lost once you drive around for a while and the system relearns its own mapping IMHO.
    The manual says 87 octane or higher. It indicates that LOWER (not higher) octane than 87 will be damaging to the engine. If knocking is heavy the manual suggests higher octane but not for a slight knock uphill.
    gpm5 - I definitely wouldn't go lower than the recommended octane, but I wouldn't pay to go higher, either. On occasion I have use 90 octane at the gas stations that sell it for the same price as 87. Fortunately they don't sell anything below 87 octane herebouts.

sasquatch 2000 - You are correct that ignition is the key issue, when I mentioned carbuerated engines I was referring obliquely to the tuning and timing for those engines, not so much that the carbuerator itself is the reason for higher octane. Sometimes I get weary of typing and don't add enough background info to my posts.
  • conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    Hey,
    I am looking for some used Troopers. Can you post the name of the dealer and the phone number? I am in NY so it is not that for away to get a good deal.

Thanks,
    Con
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Pacifico Isuzu in Wynnewood/Ardmore PA. The have at least 1 brand new 99 on the lot. I drove by there last week and they had it out front for $21500. I am sure they would be happy to sell it for less than that, seeing as they have a 2000's to go too.
    Thanks for the info. I have found a couple of dealers with used 99 and 2k for between $17k to $25k depending on the model. I found two 2k S for $17k in West NY and one nice Lux(Limited) model 1999 in MD for $19k. The approx. miles range from 10k to 25k on the Troopers. Both dealers are 200+ miles away from me but I think I will decide this week and take a road trip on the weekend. Just an FYI for others looking at used Troopers, it appears that almost all of them were rental cars or "fleet" cars(what ever that means) as per carfax.com (it was free for a few days via www.abcnews.com) I have bought off-rental cars in the past which is the reason the miles on them are higher than normal. I think the other reason most of them are rentals is that Isuzu owners are so happy with their trucks that they don't want to sell them! A very good sign of a great SUV! :)

Cheers,
    Con
    Call Open Road Honda in Edison, NJ. I know they had some '99s back in December when my buddy was looking for one.

-mike
    Hi,
    I was reading a few posts back and noticed a couple of you have bought the Lund Interceptor. Does someone have a picture of one on a 98+ Trooper? My neighbor wants one and wants to see what it looks like first. If you have the Lund part number too, that would be great. Thanks.

Regards,
    Con
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    In my last post I mentioned how I had just put a Bug Deflector II made by Vent Visor on my 00 Trooper. Install was easy, but now I am getting a loud cracking noise at moderate to high speeds that is very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Lets try this again. I am pleased with the Isuzu bug shield. Probably a bit pricey at $105 installed, but it is definitely not coming off given the fact that it is screwed on. No cracking noise either. The corners near the fenders do appear to bend in at high speeds but there are plastic guards to keep from damaging the paint.
    Check out some of the faqs on http://isuzu-suvs.com and you can also see some pics of my bug shield, the edges are very fragile, both of mine have broke, and I had them tapping the fenders something awful til they broke! They are nice before they break though...

-mike

Sometimes the cracking noise is the deflector hitting the hood. The Lund will not do this, as it has more clearance.

Also, sometimes the noise is turbulence induced by the deflector hitting the windshield.
    Hey,
    Figure you guys will know this one. Did the 98/99 SLX come with the power folding mirrors like the Trooper(LS/Limited) does? I have found a couple which are around the same price as the trooper so I want to look at them as well. It appears the only other changes/dif. are that it was only available with the single Disk CD player and the wheels are different(no hard cover spare too). I don't like the Wheels on the SLX but the price is right and wheels can be changed later down the line. Thanks.

Regards,
    Con
    As far as I know they had the power folding mirros.

-mike
    Thanks Mike,
    I actually got the info on Acura.com and it was there. As in my post before, I think I might go for the 99 Lux. if it is still available. I started the Autobytel request so we will see....Maybe a Isuzu owner(second Isuzu BTW) again by Saturday!
    I have the factory bug shield and it also makes a 'slapping' sound. Dealer said it was normal and I suspect it is due to wind turbulence at the top of the windshield.
    If your goal in installing a bug deflector is to protect the leading edge of your hood, I recommend you look into having 3M Scotchcal film applied to the hood and other metal front fascia parts.

It is invisible unless you are right up next to the vehicle, and of course doesn't cause any extra wind noise. Mine has been on for over a year now, with no deterioration evident.

It is NOT a DIY project, unfortunately. I paid about $100 to have it put on my Trooper.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Where do you find the 3M film and who put it on for you?
  • flinflin Member Posts: 29
    Looking at getting a '01 Limited soon, and wondering about whether to get the 2wd or 4wd. I don't do any offroad driving and I live in a relatively flat region, but am wondering if the 4wd will hold its value much better. Any difference in on-road performance between the 2?
    In any wet or slick conditions like leaves on the street plus rain etc., I keep 4WD TOD engaged. It feels more safe. I would say the 4WD would hold its value much better.
    I keep mine in TOD all the time. Gives the car a much better on-road handling characteristic.

-mike
    I had it put on at a local place that does all sorts of aftermarket stuff for dealerships.

Try this place I found:

http://www.xpel.com/paint/scotchal.html

It looks like they offer a precut kit:

http://www.xpel.com/paint/isuzu.html

I can't vouch for installation of the kit, mine was done custom.

• centralcentral Member Posts: 51
    I mentioned how I had just put a Bug Deflector II made by Vent
    Visor on my 00 Trooper. Install was easy, but now I am getting a loud cracking
    noise at moderate to high speeds that is very annoying. Has anyone else
    experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same shield on a 1999 with no problems. However, I did chase noise problems on another vehicle many years ago so I took some precautions when installing this one, namely -

I installed the shield as far as possible from the hood to prevent the unit from slapping it.

To prevent cracking of the shield at the screw-in attachment points (years down the road based upon the other application) I used large metal washers and rubber washers against the shield. I then cranked down the screws fairly tightly to keep the unit from vibrating loose.

As if the above isn't enough overkill, I took and old inner tube and cut out several 1" by 5"strips. I then laid these in lengthwise right where the unit meets/touches the hood at the bottom wrap around points.

Lastly as long as your are asking for suggestions, take some old towels and cram them in between the unit and the hood. Then go out for a test drive. If you get the some noises I doubt your problem is the guard vibrating/hitting the hood.

Good luck.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I owned a 96 Trooper with the 24 valve, SOHC, 190hp version of the 3.2L motor. It was more than adequate for my needs, which did NOT include any towing but did include full-cargo area and 4 people. I now own a 98 with the 215hp 3.5L motor. The difference was noticeable when I first got the 98. I don't rev my vehicles very hard, but even at moderate throttle (shifts at 3000-3500 rpm) the 98 is noticeably more responsive than my 96.

Most of the stuff in your previous post (#366?) indicates you've already done a good amount of research. You don't sound convinced of TOD's benefits. I think it's great to have the convenience of what's basically an AWD setup. It provides more peace of mind than did the shift-on-the-fly 4WD of our 96 Trooper, since the SOTF can't be left on all the time.

I'd avoid the 94 Trooper because it doesn't have dual front airbags. I don't remember if these became standard on 95 or 96.

There are actually several different versions of the 3.2L 6-cylinder in the Trooper from 92-97; it's slightly more complex than you stated in your post but I can't explain it all off the top of my head. Paisan is actually incorrect on the 97 Trooper's 3.2L engine: the 3.2L never made more than 190hp in the Trooper, even though it generates 205hp in some Rodeo vehicles.

Not only does the 3.5L have 215hp vs. 175-190 for the 3.2L, but it provides 230 ft-lbs torque vs. 188.

Strangely, the fuel economy was about 0.8-1.0 mpg better in the 96 even though the 98 is rated 1 mpg better, both city and highway.

Both my 96 and my 98 are/were 4-speed automatics, by the way.
    Hi,
    Good luck on your search. I am currently searching myself. There are a couple factors I would look at for the answer. First one is Cost: Ins. Cost which might give you the answer you need as 2wd are always cheaper to ins. plus you save $1500-2000 on the truck purchase as well. Second is location, for example, I am in NY so I want the 4x4 cause of the weather(plus want to offroad and beach fishing as well). But when I lived in FL, every SUV I saw was 2wd so if you are using it as a daily driver a 2wd is good enough. Resale value is better for a 4wd(not by much though). If the peace of mind of being able to use the TOD on the street in rain and snow, might swing you that way too(Not that many SUV allow you to use 4x4 on the street BTW). I have been looking as used Troopers and I have not come across a 2wd model yet so they are not widely available in the Northeast(Southern states might be the different). I remember last year one of the mags did a report on the 2wd trooper and it was no different than a 4wd they said(plus no savings in MPG too). Since you are looking at a Limited, for higher resale value, get the 4wd. But if you plan on keeping it, the cheapest overall cost for ins., truck price, and maint. is the 2wd. One way to decide to get 2wd or 4wd is to see how many of each the dealer has. If they sell more 2wd, than a safe bet is to go that way or if they sell more 4wd, then go that way. Good Luck.

Cheers,
    Con
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I had a very bad experience with an Isuzu dealer in Maryland. After we had the deal all set up via phone (I'm in Michigan), they backed out and would not honor the agreement. Email me (white_shoes_white@yahoo.com) if you would like to know which dealer this is. This dealer is one of the dealers that stocks quite a few of the corporate service vehicles (used at Isuzu's southern California U.S. HQ) that represent the bulk of late-model "used" Troopers on Isuzu lots. They also have a pretty good internet presence on various sites such as autobytel and carpoint.

By the way, a local Detroit dealer advertised a 2000 LS with moonroof (don't know 2WD or TOD) with 14k miles for $19,995. If you find something in my area, I'd be happy to pick you up from the airport...
    Troopers come in and go out regularly at Torrington, CT --biggest Isuzu dealer in CT.

http://www.carbuyers.com/ct/torringtonhyundai.cfm?TheDealer=538#Listings

There is a 2000 there now. Don't have any details though.

• centralcentral Member Posts: 51
    I mentioned how I had just put a Bug Deflector II made by Vent
    Visor on my 00 Trooper. Install was easy, but now I am getting a loud cracking
    noise at moderate to high speeds that is very annoying. Has anyone else
    experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same shield on a 1999 with no problems. However, I did chase noise problems on another vehicle many years ago so I took some precautions when installing this one, namely -

I installed the shield as far as possible from the hood to prevent the unit from slapping it.

To prevent cracking of the shield at the screw-in attachment points (years down the road based upon the other application) I used large metal washers and rubber washers against the shield. I then cranked down the screws fairly tightly to keep the unit from vibrating loose.

As if the above isn't enough overkill, I took and old inner tube and cut out several 1" by 5"strips. I then laid these in lengthwise right where the unit meets/touches the hood at the bottom wrap around points.

Lastly as long as your are asking for suggestions, take some old towels and cram them in between the unit and the hood. Then go out for a test drive. If you get the some noises I doubt your problem is the guard vibrating/hitting the hood.

Good luck.
    Wow, I do know in '97 the Trooper did have a 3.2l DOHC unit. I incorrectly assumed it was the 3.2l DOHC unit that went in the '98 Rodeo up to the current model. I had the SOHC 3.2 190hp unit in my Rodeo and that car was spunkier than my trooper (also close to 1000lbs lighter) I know pre-97 there were a # of hp ratings on the 3.2 SOHC units.

-mike
    Ok I went to cars.com which has a great page of used cars and their specs...

'92-'95 Trooper came with a 3.2l SOHC and optional 3.2l DOHC the DOHC being 190hp
    '96-'97 Trooper came only with 3.2l SOHC putting out 190hp
    '98-present Trooper only came with 3.5L DOHC putting out 215hp

I think that the fact that the '92-'97 body style was nearly identical, I assumed the ones with the DOHC badge were the '96-'97 not the '92-'95

-mike
  • offroaderoffroader Member Posts: 23
    I had a dealer-installed Isuzu factory bug deflector on my '99 until a few weeks ago. At freeway speeds, I could frequently (though not always) hear a snapping noise that sounded like it was coming from the upper windshield area. At first I thought it might be from a piece of loose window molding, but a thorough inspection ruled that out. Then I thought it might be the deflector ends tapping on the fenders. That wasn't it either. So, I removed the deflector and Voila! The noise is gone. I believe it was wind turbulence in the windshield area caused by the deflector.

I like the idea of a bug deflector, but not if that damn snapping noise is going to keep me awake when I'm behind the wheel ;)