Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I saw a silver XL-7 the other day as I was going to work. Nice looking with the tinted windows and the contemporary styling. It peaked my interest and will probably test drive very soon. I too am concerned with Suzuki quality, parts availability and service (if needed). I am looking for input from any past Suzuki owners as to their experience with Suzuki products.
  • hotrodchotrodc Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I recently purchased a Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 and I would like to add a CD changer but not through the dealer. The head unit is Clarion and the model numbers on the front of the brochure are PS-2363, PS-2373 and PS-2374. I purchased a Clarion changer from Crutchfield (Model CDC-635) which uses a Cbus connection but that doesn't work. Can anyone tell me which changer will work with this head unit. Crutchfield is $199 for the changer and the dealer is $439
    Can anyone tell me the best online source for ordering discount Suzuki parts?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Have you talked to Crutchfield? Their tech support is pretty good, and if the unit you picked is one they say is compatible, it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe you are just short an adapter? I've never had a unit they specify as being compatible wind up not being compatible. I had to use adapters, but in the end, they always supply everything you need.
  • imadad1stimadad1st Member Posts: 18
    I've owned a 1995 Sidekick JX 4-dr (1.6L/5-speed) since new, and have had what I consider to be a pretty good experience with it. It now has 106K on it, and I can count the trouble I've had with it on one hand.

The most annoying thing has been the A/C. I just had the 3rd condensor (sp?) repaired in 3 years. For some reason, it keeps rotting out every winter. Since I'm getting rid of it in the fall/winter for a new vehicle, I'll live with it.

I consistently get 28+ mpg in this truck (sometimes over 30). Granted, this is mostly highway/back-country-road driving, but I'm still quite pleased. Haven't yet found a suitable replacement (ASFA mileage).

For what it's worth, I'm still working on the original brakes (yes, I've check them), clutch, etc. I even got 96K out of the original Bridgestones, and could have gotten more if I weren't so anal about tires. As I said, this is mostly highway type driving, but still pretty good if you ask me.

Part/service availability can be a concern. There just doesn't seem to be a big aftermarket on these yet (probably due to volume). For the few parts I have had to replace, most have been "dealer only" parts, and relatively expensive. For example, the rear seatbelt lock (child) went out on one side, and I had to replace it (myself). Suzuki charged me over $300 for the cartridge. I tried a Tracker module, but there was no cross reference to the Suzuki. Had it been a GM, it would have been about half the price. I've got two dealers I can go to for service, but this is still not as "convenient" as an american car (GM, Ford, etc.)

I'd certainly seriously consider another Suzuki. As a matter of fact, I'm going tonight to test drive the XL-7. I won't be buying one now though, I still have the Saturn Vue on the top of my list (until I get a chance to drive one). The mileage is "reported" to be around the 30 mark, and they offer side impact airbags. Safety and mileage are real high on my list.

Just my $0.02 worth.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Be-ware, it's another FWD based SUWannabe. Personally I'd go for the Suzuki, cause it's got a real frame and a longitudially mounted engine.

-mike
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Suzuki Grand Vitara received an "Acceptable" (the highest is a "Good") in the IIHS's 40mph crash test. The results can be seen here:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/98020.htm

Since you won't off-road, having a body-on-frame design and part-time 4WD probably won't be beneficial to you. Unfortunately, that "real frame" didn't help much as far as safety goes either.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find an SUV that will get 30mpg. The Saturn VUE most likely won't. However, Subaru Forester owners appear to be able to get 25mpg or better. Perhaps you may want to consider that too? The Forester received a "Good" in the IIHS 40mph crash test, and is available with side impact airbags, as well as permanent or full-time AWD.
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/98018.htm

The Subaru Forester discussion topic is located here:
    http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall?FID=ee94fe5

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Morning Call review.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Hello Grand Vitara XL-7 owners. Hope you are enjoying the car as much as I. Here is some helpful info for you. The DC changer to match the Clarion unit in you car utilizes a DE net connection and not a DC Bus connection as indicated my the dealership and Crutch field. The best place to buy the direct plug up changer is Crutch field. The have the correct unit for your car for approximately $169 (Item #020RDC655Z) where as the dealer or should I say sealer wants about $400 for that same unit. The install only took me about one hour. Just trying to get everyone to save a little cash.
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    hotrodc, thx for your CD changer info, currently I am owning a Grand Vitara w/o a CD player and
    looking for a CD changer for this car. And I'll be shopping for a Grand Vitara XL-7 in two months, with one question need to ask is the gas mileage on the Grand Vitara XL-7 in real driving numbers. Can anyone fill me in on this? Coz I am getting 20 mpg (70%hwy/30%cty) on my 5sp Grand Vitara, and wonder how much/little worse the XL-7 can do.
    Thx in advance!!

driver 36
  • patman22patman22 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a new XL-7 and are very happy with our decision. We looked at all the mini vans and subs out for a family of six. Once we drove the Suzuki, driving the mini vans made us feel like we were driving in our own suburban prison.... All of the other suvs with 3 rows of seats were just too big for convenience around town and our conscience.

The only negative is the small amount of luggage space behind the third seat, but we are going to purchase hitch mounted trunk carrier for when we take trips.
    I've been on CarPoint recently, looking over some of the owner reviews. A few (three to be exact) stuck out, and although I believe they are the work of the same individual, I figured I'd ask here. These reviews suggested that there is some problem with the sunroofs in the Touring models. Has anyone experienced problems with theirs? Since I'd be looking into a Touring myself, I'd hate to have it raining (or snowing) on my head.

Also, I'd like to echo a previous request for "real-world" mileage. CarPoint had a few comments regarding "excellent" mileage, but didn't elaborate as to what exactly it was (if they are comparing it to a 1980 Surburban, I'm not suprised). Anyone got a bead on the highway mileage for a 5-speed? For me, 20 mpg will be quite a step backwards (see my previous posting about my Sidekick).

Thanks to anyone willing to reply.
  • clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    Have had Touring XL-7 since mid-February. No problems, although a few little quirks, so far. No sign of sunroof leakage whatsoever - an Vancouver's climate certainly puts it to the test!

Mileage is around 21-23MPG city. Ride is comfortable. Quirks are the swinging tailgate makes oversize loads a problem (while not used as a truck, I kind of like loading interior doors when doing renovations at home... no chance now); no door ajar warning light on the dash (have to use the interior light as a sign a door is not properly closed); the rear a/I vent only works with cold air (at least as far as I can tell so far); and the rear 12V socket only works when the ignition is on. Not major, but things I hope Suzuki consider for future models.

Overall, am very happy. Compared several different Subs prior to this and found it had the best overall ride and comfort for the price.
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    clay,

Thanks for your info!
    I'm totally agree with you that Suzuki can last a long time without any big
    repairs however, you might run into some minor thing such as like the 12V cap get pops out or
    switch get loose; other than that you should be fine :)

driver
  • cartex2000cartex2000 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my XL7 for 4 months now and still enjoy it very much. Have not had any problems. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get foglamps for the vehicle other than my dealer. They want 270.00 for them! Thanks.

Cartex2000
    They have great prices and excellent customer service. You can find a link to their pages under the vendor section of http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike

• roseb1roseb1 Member Posts: 2
    ive written before about my suzuki. I cont understand why anyone would want this thing....i cant even sell it for a decent price. its decreased in value so much. I paid 19,500 and cant even get 17,000 for it. its worth only 12,900. its a 2000 with 8,900 miles AHHHH!! if i knew what i do now i would never had purchesed a suzuki
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    What Suzuki did you purchase? An XL-7?

Check out the depreciation of most vehicles. Nothing strange about losing a third of itself value in first year, maybe 40 percent by second, and upwards of 50-60 percent after 4 years. Heck, you lose about 20-25 percent just driving it off the dealer's lot when it is brand, brand new.
    Yep, the resale probably is comparable to that of Isuzu. Basically my take is that they are excellent vehicles that will last for 200K+ miles but have poor re-sale becayse they aren't one of the big-3 and don't have special do-dads, etc. They are basic trucks, but basic means they will last!

-mike
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    you'll likely pay $5-10K more to begin with.
    Can someone who has a dealer installed class II hitch and wiring verify that the wiring is in fact on the outside of the truck (and where the plug terminates - does it just hang there?). I wasn't too comfortable with the way the salesman/manager responded to that question, and I really would prefer not to have to pull a wire out the back door every time I want to tow (as I have to now in my Sidekick).

Also, what was the cost of this option? Again, the salesman didn't install too much confidence in me with his answer. Thanks.
  • clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    My dealer here in Vancouver has quoted "approx." $250 Canadian* for a class 11 hitch, fully installed with electric brake adjustment. However, I understand they are still not available for the XL-7 as Suzuki is remodeling the existing Vitara hitches to compensate for the lower-rear fuel tank. I am waiting for their arrival to arrange installation.

*Keep in mind this is Canadian, so subtract approx. 30% to bring it to $US.
  • joseph35joseph35 Member Posts: 6
    I currently own a 98 Toyota RAV4 and would like to buy another vehicle. With a budget around $25k, which will you choose the Suzuki XL-7 Touring 4x4 or a used 96 Toyota Land Cruiser with a 60k mileage?
    Why not get a brand new 2001 Trooper LS? They can be had for that with 3/50K bumper to bumper warranty, 10/120K Powertrain, Fully loaded except leather. Just a thought.

-mike
  • suzukixl_7suzukixl_7 Member Posts: 3
    I should have my XL-7 on Monday/Tuesday. The dealer is buying out my GV (I am only losing 22.5% of MSRP for 8 months and 34,000 kms), and with the incentives from SUZUKI Canada, I actually come out ahead!!

My GV was great, but I think the XL-7 will be that much better. I spent six months comparing vehicles on this site before I decided to get a GV. The GV got 25.048 MPG overall (Canadian, so 20 US...), and I expect the XL-7 to be 5% less.

I could spend more money on a different truck, but I want 4wd, not AWD, and I want a truck frame, not a wannabe...

IMHO, the XL-7 is THE BEST value in Canada today.

Cheers,

Keith
    Abbotsford, BC, CANADA
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I am looking very seriously at a XL-7 Touring but have some concern about the reliability in the long term. This would be my first none Ford in 20 years. I have read that a longer warranty, either 5/50 or 5/60 is being considered for 2002. Anyone have any information. Thanks
  • xl7xl7 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know if brush guards or grille guards can be installed on the 2001 XL-7 touring model without drilling or makeshift parts?

Also, looking for any new after market assessories or idea's to Jazz-up this street/road Zukie!

7000 miles now! Excellent handling!High rpm's slight inclines,Lacks more pep!Engine rev's! requires OD a lot when starting off and up hills. Cruises fairly nicely on interstate, comfortable speed 60-70..not much mph after that. Rear Rear seats,forget it could have been better utilized. Seems to run better with more mileage. Gas mileage could be a little better. AC comfortable with rear controls. Overall am happy with it, just wish it had a little more mph & more avail parts to upgrade.

Has anyone had service to set the engine up a little for faster acceleratation? Idea's or comments?
    http://www.ecb.com.au great real tough products. Not sure if they are making any thing for the XL7 yet. I import their stuff so let me know if interested.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

I know what you mean about the engine—it is a little weak. I took a Touring for a drive last week and was impressed except for three things: weak engine, arm rests are a little short and when you put the seats down the floor is not smooth like in a Explorer or 4Runner. There are large gaps and that is not good if you have dogs (we do) I would have to make a partial floor for the dogs so they would not break a leg. However, that is an easy fix. All in all I am impressed. I am waiting for the 2002s to come out to see what changes are made. Maybe a few more ponies and a longer warranty.
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    I was impressed overall with the XL-7 (spent most of the afternoon with it). There are a couple of items that seemed really cheap on it (plastics), but overall not bad. I'm 5'11" and got back into the 3rd row with pretty much no problem. Even the head rests back there fit me pretty well. Wouldn't have a problem sitting back there for a day trip as the 2nd row seating slides forward a bit. I would have to have the 5-speed and bet I could squeeze 23 out of it on the hwy. Didn't notice the lack of power. Of course, I'm not used to driving Corvettes and the like, but it (power) seemed adequate. Overall, seemed like a well-built, efficient, cost effective vehicle for a growing family. This would be perfect for my family of 5 and would keep me from having to check my private parts at the door if looking at a minivan. Sorry, minivan owners. I give this vehicle 1.5 thumbs up. Now, what about that offset crash test???
    Will be taking a touring automatic for a weekend test drive. I will pick it up this Friday evening and have it till Monday. This way I get to see what others think and drive it to work so I can see how it is on my commute. I will fill everyone in after the drive is over.
    We were going to take a Touring out but my wife did not like the color so we ended up with a Gold Limited. It was the owner’s wife’s car who was also a sales person. It is leather, moon roof, the entire bit. It had 4k on it. As you can tell from the title of this post we now own it. Good power, nice seats, good storage and well built. My wife liked the running boards. It was surprising that it did not come with mud flaps for the rear tires. Will have to add those soon. We ended up at 4k under list. Not bad even if I say so myself. It is a keeper.
  • john_austinjohn_austin Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Just got my third tank of gas.

This time I got 15 MPG, which was 90% stop and go
    for a short distance commute.

I wasn't expecting to buy a real truck but this
    was the only choice to haul 6 person(2 kids) with
    a affordable price.

Everything is OK, except for the uncomfortable
    seat and some clicking sound coming from the
    steering wheel.

Anybody with a 4x4 notice any clicking sound
    from the steering wheel?
    It comes when I fully turn the steering wheel
    moving below 20MPH.
    Actually it sounds like some plastic parts getting
    out of joint.

I don't like mini vans, but sometime I get a feeling that
    a mini van is more suitable for my life style.
    Anybody with a MPV want to trade? ^_^

Thanks.
    Mine seems to be doing well. No ticks that I hear. I am up to 19.9 and have 4,500 miles on it so you should see you MPG improve. However, I would agree that with 6 a van may have been a better choice. We have a Probe GT and Windstar GL and the XL-7 is more of a toy for my wife, me and a few of our dogs (we have 5 greyhouds, thus the van). I looked at an MPV but did not want another van. Good Luck
  • price6price6 Member Posts: 2
  • price6price6 Member Posts: 2
    Go for the Limited. It is only about 1.5k more and the leather is nice but the running boards make the look. There are a few details that I have found.
    1. If you go to change the angle of the drivers seat back and have a watch on you will scratch the hard plastic on the door. There is very little room between the door and the adjustment handle so adjust the seatback with the door open.
    2. If you have a cell phone and plug it into the cigaret lighter the power goes off when you turn off the key, I actually like that one feature since it means I do not have to keep unplugging the cord.
    3. The best power band seems to be around 55 to 60. The RPMs are about 2500 to 2600 and then when you get to 65 they jump to 3000. However, it does cruise very nicely at 70.
    4. I thought it was a little down on power but now that I have had it and driven it for awhile it seems to be fine.
    5. you may hear a rattle or two from the back when the rear seat is down but is just the seat.

I was able to get the 6 year, 100k warranty for 760 so I took it. I think you will like it. Either one is nice but I got the limited for hale the difference between the touring and limited so I took it. There is a $1,500 factory to dealer incentive now, or at least in Virginia there is.
  • john_austinjohn_austin Member Posts: 5
    5greyhounds, thanks for the info about the steering wheel clicking.
    I should take it in to the Service center for a check.

One thing to add,
    don't take the dealer installed leather if you have to pay.
    It's uncomfortable compared to the factory leather, not good for a long trip.
    ( The lumbar and hip support gets terrible. )

When I told the dealer I didn't like it, they gave it for free, but I still think the
    factory fabric seat is better.
    ( When I tried to uninstall it myself, I found it almost impossible to do it,
    no wonder they gave it for free. )

Our family is planning for a 500 mile round trip next week.

I will post the MPG and other things, hope it's not too late for making decisions.
    I got the factory Leather. I also did an MPG check today: 21.1 MPG. This was mostly with AC and about half city and half open road. I kept it at 65 or so. I saw the review today and they are mostly on target except I do not think it is all that "tinny". Mine sounds good and tight. good luck on your trip.
    BTW: I bet the tick you hear is the turn signal detent.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good Looks, Good Value, Good Ride: Isn't It Grand?

Check out Edmunds' recent road test of the Grand Vitara XL-7 linked in the Additional Resources box in the left navigation sidebar.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I have just a little under 5k on my XL-7 and on the way to work today I filled her up. I was able to do 21.7 MPG for a little over 280 miles. This is with 50% city and 50% interstate. Not really to bad considering the EPA says 20 MPG for highway. I do no have a heavy foot , but not light one either and keep it around 65. However, I must say she likes to do 70. I have to keep and eye on the speed.
  • rando2rando2 Member Posts: 8
    Edmunds gave a good review of the XL-7. While they didn't like everything, they were pretty fair. The only problems I have with the review are (1) They say there is no storage for CD s. I guess they missed the storage draw under the passenger's seat. (2) They said the radio had no cassette, just a CD. I think they should look again. (3) They complained about the sound the door makes when closed. I find this vehicle to be put together very well. It sound solid and the fit an finish are first rate.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I saw a report on the new about the XL-7 and the "rear into pole" bumper test. The result was that the spare tire took the impact and transfered it to the rear window. The rear glass shattered . . . not very promising for a low speed collision.
    That I know of at least 3 people who have been rear ended in their XL-7/clone and none of them sustained any damage to the window. Usually the rear end lifted, the person hitting them brake dived, and their bumper got scratched. Not to mention that the person hitting pays for damage, in a rear end collision.

-mike
    So, after 5k my XL-7 is still tight and rattel free. I only have two problems:
    1. When I put the second and third row seats down. Unlike the Explorer or other larger SUVs there is no material covering the gap between the second and third row which leads to my problem. I have dogs and keep the seats down so they can go for rides. But this leaves a gap between the seats. What I did was cut a 5/8 inch plywood board to fit the back with the seats down. I have covered it with a heavy cloth and put a few dog beds back there and with the rear AC they think they are in dog pardise--which they are.
    2. The other is the radio dislay. It is dim and you havae to constantly hit the power button on the radio to get it brighter every time you start the car or turn on the lights. It defaults to the dimmerof the two settings everytime you turn it off.
    I am averaging 21.3 a gallon so no complaints there.
    As to the crash tst. I hope not to get hit and do this by paying attention to what is goin gon around me. Besies, it is a weekend toy, not a go to work.
  • scully62scully62 Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 2001 Grand Vitara XL7 5 speed. I've only had it since 7/26. Recently, I've been hearing rattling coming from the back area. Has anyone had or heard of this problem? Other then this, I love it!
    You could need a door adjustment on that scully. I know a few people with Troopers that had a similar problem, then they rode in the rear compartment and figured out the rear door was rattling, the dealer adjusted it and it's been good ever since.

-mike
    There is also a teather for kids seats that is lose and will flap around if a window is open or you hit a bump. There is also the medical kit under the floor at the back door. It has to be tied down or it could make a noise. It could also just be a sear that is lose when the seatback is down. Also check your licnese plate screws.
    Hzas anyone seen an owners club for the XL-7 and if so where? thanks
This discussion has been closed.