Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• muxamuxa Member Posts: 16
    when is the first oil change due.THe manual says 7500 miles but that cant be right.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    FYI: The 2005 XL7 is in stock and so are the brochures. I didn't sit in one when I dropped my XL7 for maintenance this morning because all they added was a new "S" logo on the tire cover and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System aka TPMS. BTW, the new 2005 Suzuki brochures are twice as big as any brochure they've ever had with huge color pictures. And the good thing is: each car has it's own seperate brochure!!! :-D
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hello everyone, its been a while since i have posted on the xl-7 site. I spend most of my time on the verona and forenza site since we have them also. Concerning tires for the xl-7, my bridgestone tires were horrible, and at 25,000miles they went bald. My suzuki service mgr agreed that those tires are horrible, and sent me to the tire place they use, and they reccommended the MIRADA TIRES, which are made by yokohama. These tires cost me 80.00 installed including everything, and my wife and i definately feel the difference in handeling of our xl-7. Yes the size is hard to find, but these tires are excellent, and just do a search for mirada tires on line to see how they rate.
    my suzuki dealer gives free oil changes on all the cars they sell for the life of the cars.There is one catch they will only do them every 6000k or more.The manual actually states that every 7500miles is fine.Does anyone have a opinion on this.Also is synthetic oil recomended for these cars.I wonder if the manuals 7500k oil changes are based on synthetic oil being used.
    I was just curios if any of the members are allready past the 100,00k mark on thier xl-7.IF SO WHAT KIND REPAIRS HAS YOUR VEHICLE REQUIRED.I plan to keep mine for a while and i drive between 20k-25k a year,just wanted to know what i can expect once the warranty is expired.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Do your changes with dino oil every 3k to 4k miles...trust me...cheap insurance to keep your truck running well. We listened to the dealer and the manual, and got sludge in our Camry.
    Spend the money and take the time on your oill changes!

The Sandman :-)
    I appriciate the advise.Just one thing what exactly is dino oil and which brand is the best.
    Dino is regular oil. Not to knowledgeable on best brands. My place uses Kendall oil in my cars. Others here can be more helpful.
    Cheap insurance for your car.

• kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    I used to use Castrol GTX in all of my vehicles, but I will be switching to Mobile 1 Synthetic. I have already done so on my XL-7. It is at 30K and running strong.

kc5yti
    Sandman thank you for your info.I also belive that synthetic oil is the way to go with this new cars,especially when such long intervals between oil changes are recomended by the manufecturers.
    Do what you think best. Many people I know swear by synthetic oil, they say it protects the engine better and has longer change intervals. I prefer to change the oil more often with dino oil. Where I go, they also do a free rotation with every oil change. I do both services each time on both cars, thus these 2 maintenance items are always in sync.
    Being as "anal" as I am about our cars, this system works for me. I might want to try synthetic in the future though. But I wonder if you can change back to regular dino oil if you try synthetic once or twice?
    Is this possible anyone?

(And now I trust my own instincts about the change intervals no matter what the manual says. Cheap insurance oil changes. At $15. a pop, it won't break the bank. The peace of mind is worth it to me. I have a low risk tolerance!)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I go by my owner's manual and use regular oil at 7,500 mile intervals. If you're really into your oil that much, you should be getting an analysis done, not simply relying on time or mileage numbers. Otherwise you may just be pouring good oil down the drain.

Check out the oil wars in the Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 and Synthetic motor oil discussions.

Steve, Host
    this forum needs a imiadiate revival,its been dorment now for a whole week.Frank whats new,are you well,not like to so quite for so long.Let me try again does any one have a xl-7 with a 100,00miles or more,if so what kind of mechanical record/problems have you had.
  • sailer1sailer1 Member Posts: 2
    This is not so much a question but a story about a small market share company (Suzuki)who acted like a major player.
      My wife and I purchased a 2002 Suzuki XL-7 in Nov. 2002. This past June, it went in for the 50,000km service. two days after, the motor developed a knock. We took it in to the dealer and the mechanic said he had only heard that noise once before. He said it was the thrust washer. They made arrangements to have us bring in the truck and leave it for a few days so they could take out the engine and replace the crank and thrust washer.
        On the day it was finished, we went in and picked up the truck. We just went a couple of miles down the road and was stopped at a stop light when I thought I could hear the knock again. We went back to the dealer and they were as surprised as we were that the noise was there.
      They then made arrangements through Suzuki Canada to do a short block replacement. Which they did.
      Once we got the truck back again there were still some funny noises coming from the motor.
     In the end we were pretty upset with the whole situation and decided to write Suzuki Canada explaining the story and our concerns.
     Within a couple of days Suzuki came back to us with an offer. They decided to Replace our XL-7 with a new 2004 XL-7, JLX-Plus.
     We are still amazed that they did this. Since then we have been and continue to tell our story to all our friends and to just about anybody willing to listen about a company who went the extra mile.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Congratulations!!!
  • malimidamalimida Member Posts: 1
    This is great to read. I just purchased a 2004 XL 7, and feel very confident that I have made a great decision.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    Well, my 2003 Limited is still doing well. I need to take it in for the latest recall but it will not get cold enough here to really be a problem. Just wanted to let everyone know I still really like my XL-7.
  • pg1beepg1bee Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm looking to buy a 2005 Suzuki XL7. Can anyone give me any information on them? Pros and cons would be helpful. I'm not looking for a big SUV that's why I have picked this one out. Thanks

PG1bee
  • lkrk11lkrk11 Member Posts: 15
    Hello all,

Anybody have a good dealer that sells OEM suzuki parts at a reasonable price. I recently tried to get on the one i had at Bruce Titus Automotive Group in Washington, but they seem to be out of the suzuki business.

Secondly anybody have there original rims for sale, by chance. Looking for a second set so i can have one for summer tires one for winter. thanks
    Please check eBay or craigslist.org for those rims; we don't buy and sell on the boards. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • rbeauforrbeaufor Member Posts: 6
    This probably isn't specific to the XL-7 but my remote to the door unlock stopped working after I replaced the batteries. Anyone had this problem or know the quick fix to it???

And yes I tried other batteries and know that they work and they are in the remote correctly.

Thoughts???
  • dce3535dce3535 Member Posts: 6
    The CD changer in my XL-7 has developed a skipping problem. Cleaning the lens with the cleaning kit available in stores hasn't helped much. Is this something that is under warranty? If not any suggestions on how to get this fixed will be appreciated.

Thank You.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    You have a 3 year warranty on everything so it should be covered.
  • long_gunrlong_gunr Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, great forum!
    I just purchased a 2001 XL-7 with 40,000 mi. I have noticed that when I start it up it makes a clacking/rattling sound. The sound pretty much stops after it is warm and I have driven it for a bit. I do not know if it is engine noise or fan noise?? Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be? I would like to be armed with an educated guess before I take it in. I love the vehicle. I live in Minnesota and it has been great in the snow/ice.

Thanks for any help.

NCM
    Well, I hope you got a warranty on her. It sounds alot like the Timing Belt Tensioner issue that has reared its ugly head up on your vehicle. It sounds like a rattle or knock coming from the front of the vehicle. Always after a cold start, and could last up to 30sec. A TSB came out on this issue quite some time ago and it involve the 2000-2003 Grand Vitaras and XL-7s. My 2002 has not had the issue pop up, yet, but I am paying very close attention to it. From what I understand, the repair job cn be quite expensive if you take it to the dealer. Otherwise, if you are a good mechanic or know one, it could be done for much less. It is quite an intensive process. Not to take away from this forum, but there is an "suzukiGrandvitara" and XL-7 Yahoo Group, and there is a copy of the TSB available in the GV group if you would like more information.
  • rkishorerkishore Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks

Great forum. I have a 2003 XL-7 with around 20K miles on it. Have been very happy with it. I have been having a problem this winter, though. The 4WD drive display light blinks constantly when 4WD is engaged. The drive seems to engage and drive fine, though. Has anyone encountered this? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Rohit
  • clay11clay11 Member Posts: 17
    Been a long time since I have been on this board and great to see so many of the old faces still with their XL-7s! I still have my 2001 Touring (around 105,000 km now) and it is still going strong. A question for anyone out there regarding the keyless entry system. Mine has stopped working, likely as a result of the remote key fob unit no longer functioning. Battery replacement has not helped. Dealer tells me the early units are not programmable, so replacement remotes are not obtainable. However, I read that they can be programmed, although it has to be done by the dealer. Am not sure if I am getting the full story or the dealer is stringing me along. Thoughts anyone?
  • woawoawoawoa Member Posts: 2
    I don't think it's supposed to blink. Mine (2002) stays on whenever 4wd is engaged. You probably should have a dealer check it out under warranty
  • eleeelee Member Posts: 1
    Great forum, thanks for the good info. We're looking to buy, I like the XL7 but wonder about mileage (compared with the usual Pilot/Highlander/used Volvo V70.) Can owners with '03 or later vehicles check in with their current mileage for their typical day-to-day use? Sorry if this has been done previously, too many messages to go back through them all...
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    hi ya. Yes Im fine thank you:)

I only have 20 k miles on our XL7 so I can't help ya there.

Change your oil at 3000 miles. Its a no brainer to spend $20 every 3000 miles to save on a premature engine rebuild furthur down the road. Most new cars have a 7500 mile specified oil change that no one pays attention to. Everyone I know is willing to spend $20 to have the oil changed every 3000 miles..

Frank
    fantastic story! Suzuki is a first class car company!

Frank
    gas mileage is not the XL7's strong point. We get about 15 in the city and 21 on the highway

Frank
  • ronlt2ronlt2 Member Posts: 9
    I have been having the same problem the lst year or so, does this also pertain to 2001 vehicles? One problem is that I have 89000 on my XL7 now and I have no warrenty left?
  • garyl1garyl1 Member Posts: 2
    Recently, we are having problems with the 4WD in our 2001 XL7 (40,000 miles). When the lever is engaged, the transfer case "sounds" like it is in 4WD, yet the front tires do not have power. Also, the 4WD light is not on. Now, there is a clunk in the right front end. Of course warrantee is up. Any suggestions?
    there is a small motor that supplies air pressure to lock the front wheels in 4wd.. If this is not working this will happen. Its behind the front bumper.. somewhere. I have not poked my herad up there to locate it..

Frank
    Off-topic, but Suzuki fans may be interested in Suzuki's mid-size SUV concept:

Suzuki Concept X

Check out the Future Vehicles forums for other Suzuki future talk.

Steve, Host
  • garyl1garyl1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks frank ill try to find out where it is behinde the bumper.when i find it ill let you know where too look. thanks
  • oamaral73oamaral73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Rohit,

I've had the same problem with my 2001 XL-7. It has 94K miles on it and my 4WD light blinks about once per second when engaged. My wife drives it most of the time and she says it actually blinks for a while then the light stays off even though the vehicle is still in 4WD. I have a service manual, but there's no information about what this could be. Have you brought the vehicle in yet? If you have, please let me know what they found.

thanks
  • tomm2tomm2 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there have any issues with the AC/Heater sensor going bad? I bought an 03 XL7 and since I bought it (used from a dealer) I have had problems with the heater/AC climate control.

It reads -58 and then the next minute it reads 111 out - can't get the ac/heater to work properly as it thinks its -58 when I want to have the AC on cause its 80 out the heater blows hot air..

Dealership has no clue it seems - Its been in the shop 5x for repair and they still can't fix it
  • persanpersan Member Posts: 6
    Hi all XL-7 owners.

I have an 2003 XL-7, and realy like that car.I did about 55k but now i start to feel the engine vibration when the car is on.It is like low rpm vibrations just a little.I have all service history because i care about my XL-7.What it could be.
  • edgewoodedgewood Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Just bought an '04 XL7, 4X4 with 10k miles, and getting 21 mpg with mix hiwy and town driving, got the 5 spd auto trans, (overdrive). Was pleasantly surprised.

kp
  • ilmomof2ilmomof2 Member Posts: 4
    We have 2 kids, ages 5 & 2, and just bought a new '04 XL7. The baby seat fits great, but the 5 yr old's booster seat is causing a problem. He is big enough to use the seat as strictly a seat-belt positioning booster with the regular seat belt, but the latch part of the belt is so short in the base of the seat that I literally have to climb into the vehicle and buckle him in! When I asked the service/parts department, they said that there were seat belt extenders available. They ordered one for me and it came in today, BUT it only works for the front seats, not the second row seats! Since car seats are to be used in the passenger area only, not the front seat....I feel that this is a problem that Suzuki needs to address! Most states have increased the age/size requirements for car seats/booster seats, so there are going to be a lot of kids in these seats for a lot longer amount of time now. This is a pretty big inconvenience and I can't believe that I am the only Mom who is going to have to go through this!

:(
    Kris
  • cousinsvencousinsven Member Posts: 1
    I am sure this has been covered over and over again. I am sorry. I will also search this forum for info.

What is the best advice for getting a trailer for my 04 xl7? We want to carry 3 motorcycles in it...sport bikes (lighter). What kind of hitch? Tranny cooler? Trailer Brakes? Does the payload and trailer rating mix, or is it 1200 payload plus 3000 towing?

I am new to this towing thing, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Towing tips for SUVs may be helpful.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no active discussions on trailers and hitches per se. Feel free to browse through these archived discussions which may contain helpful information and insights:

Trailer Hitch

Trailer Hitch Additions

Car Trailer

Accessories for Trailer hitch receivers

Good luck!

tidester, host
    I have a 4, 7, and 9 year old, and have had them in the 2002 for the last 3 years, no problem. Do you have the middle seats back toward the rear of the truck or, are they closer to the front.

Regards,

kc5yti
    XL -7 IS THE BEST MID SIZE SUV EVER !!!!!!!!!!!
    ON MY XL -7 I CAN DROP YOU WHERE EVER YOU WONT
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    when it comes to baby seats, the XL-7 has the latch system that most car seats use. Try it out, it's really useful.

I do agree about the short seat belt latches. One plus is that they stick straight up, which allows the kids to buckle up by them selves when the get a little older.
  • dep410dep410 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 XL-7. I too have noticed after going out of 4wd I get the same feeling that i am still engaged in 4wd. I either stop and back up a little it comes right out. Before stopping though you might just cycle the 4wd lever foward to 4wd and then right back out, this also has worked for me. I dont think it is a problem. Just a common quirk of this type of truck. Also if anyone is interested I found a great set of tires that are a little bigger than the originals and fit well. 235/65r/16 with truck tread. They are the best tires I have ever had. Let me know and I will get the exact #'s off the tire and post it.
    "Fiat's first entry into the SUV market, a compact off-roader jointly developed with Suzuki, will debut at the Frankfurt motor show this September."

Fiat to Launch Suzuki-Based SUV at Frankfurt Show (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.