Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7

Comments

• carfun888carfun888 Member Posts: 25
    I'm not usually apt to flame but if you are serious you deserve it.

Please get informed about vehicles, especially "4wd" vehicels, before even thinking about buying one. Here is a site that may help: http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/index.html.

I don't agree with some of this guys opinions but its is a good source of info.

I have owned part time 4wd (Suzuki, Tacoma, etc) and AWD (Subaru) vehicles. I actually prefer the part time system.

IMO the best safety onroad for any vehicle is a combination of driver knowledge (understanding what the **** are you driving ) and appropriate tires. The motoring journos who put a black mark against part time 4wd irritate me. Why on a perfectly good road would I need 4WD or AWD if I have some skill and most importantly the right tires on the car.

Hope you take some time to go out and learn something about cars.
  • zukimockzukimock Member Posts: 28
    The reason why you would want AWD on pavement is for the handling. That is what Subaru is well known for. An person with some skill driving will be able to maneuver a vehicle a lot better with AWD.
    Thanks for answering. Why didn't you buy an AWD vehicle? They suck offroad. The zuke is a solid offroader and built uses an inexpensive and reliable offroad transmission (part time 4wd). You had plenty of choices out there - why buy the Suzuki?
    There were several reasons I got the Zuki.

1. I got a killer deal on it, $14,995, brand new! The invoice price for it is a little over $18,300.

2. I don't do any serious off roading; I mainly go camping. When I do need to drive in the rain or snow on occasion, I have a 4wd CR-V.

3. It is also the roomiest compact SUV you can get on the market. Yes, I did my research... :P I tend to haul a lot of cargo and people when going on trips.

4. Arguably the best warranty (7-years, 100K, transferable vs Hyundai's 10-years, 100K, non-transferable). Realistically most of us drive more than 10K a year, so the 100K is the key number for most of us.

Including the reasons above, another reason I did not get an AWD vehicle is because I don't drive like a maniac anymore. I use to have a 94 Honda Prelude which was a very fun car to take on the corners, but now I got all that out of my system.
    Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if they sell a clutch fan for a 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7?
  • jrvallejojrvallejo Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone! I have a 2001 XL-7 5 spd and usually when I first drive in the morning or when the vehicle is cold it makes a noise everytime I press the clutch pedal I have recently replaced the whole clutch components and still does the noise, now once I drive for a while it stops until the vehicle gets cold again. Do you all have the same problems? Do you all know why it does it? and one more thing.. about the Timing Belt Tensioner: Is there a do it yourself manual that can help me replaced the Tensioner on my own because $950.00 it is a lot of money for a little Tensioner replacement!!!!!! and by the way the vehicle has not warranty it has over 100,000 miles.
    Thanks for your time!!!!
    What great reasons to choose a superb vehicle! I was just flaming you for complaining in the first place :P
  • elirelir Member Posts: 3
    i was reading your message about the brake pads, was your xl7 a 4x4 or a 2wd i've been having problems finding brake pads for mine. and your right about the price at the dealer. i think there is a difference in size from a 4wd to a 2wd
    i went to a auto parts store and bought a stp air filter, when i took the old one out it did not match it was smaller, does anybody know where to buy one that is the same size as the original. its for a xl7 4wd thank you
  • adomenicadomenic Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the stock clarion cd player has a cd-changer control, I want to install a module to hook up my ipod to it.

thanks for any help you can give
    If the air filter did not fit then the parts store gave you the wrong filter or you picked the wrong one. :shades:
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    elir, my wifes xl7 was a 4wd, and there is no difference in brake pad size. I get all my brake pads from rock auto.com. I put a second set on at 36000 miles, and about a month ago traded the 2002 xl7 in for a 2005 model.. great suv
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    Got mine at AutoZone. No problems at all. I went ahead and replaced mine at 36K miles, but did not need to at all. The original pads still had half of the pad material on them. :shades:
    i'm still having problems trying to get brake pads for my xl7 4x4 all the auto parts stores have brake pads but for some reason the pad that they show me is about 1/2 to small then the original if someone knows why let me know the dealer price is $80.00 vs $30.00 to $40.00 at any auto parts store
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Go to rockauto.com, click on suzuki and then xl7.. click on brake pads and all the pads will come up.. price from 22.00-56.00
  • josesjoses Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to switch the head light bulbs in a 2004 xl7 beside the dealer?
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I had the rear differential oil changed when I first got the vehicle at 38000 and now notice a whine coming from the rear. Has anybody else had this problem or is it part of the XL 7. Planning to change again to see if any better. Any comments would be appreciated.Currently 48K on the clock.
  • bradespbradesp Member Posts: 21
    I LOVE thy new 06' Grand Vitara's new styling. Does anyone know if the XL-7 is scheduled for a similar facelift for 07' ?

Thanks!

bradesp
  • xostnotxostnot Member Posts: 232
    The concensus seems to be that the '07 XL7 will be a stretched version of the '06 Grand Vitara, with a larger engine, no low range, and no ladder frame welded on. Sort of a Chev Equinox or Pontiac Torrent with the GV's styling.
    Determined that it is a wheel bearing that needs replacing
  • kootenayjimkootenayjim Member Posts: 6
    Pardon my ignorance but I just bought what I think is a 02 XR7 [ says it on wheel cover] but the dealer called it a grand vitara on papers- any hints ?
    I like the machine - has 81k and nice to get a 4wd again - used to have older jeeps and my other is a 91 Astro awd and my joy is a 74T500 Titan Suzie motorcycle
    KJ
  • cotecsicotecsi Member Posts: 2
    I had the same noise in my 2004 that seemed to get louder as a slowed to a stop it was replaced under warrantee (<36,000 Miles) because it was they said the rear differential was defective.
  • cotecsicotecsi Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 XL-7 has the push button 4x4 that does not work if the ambient tempurature outside is less than 25 degrees. It engages fine but it will not disengage until I either come to a complete stop or come to a complete stop and backup. The dealer said that it is due to the lube in the 4x4 crankcase being too cold to function properly I don't believe them, has anyone else had this problem out there?
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    What indication are you getting that it is not disengaging? I have a 2005, and every time I try to disengage the 4WD when stopped, the indication lights for the front wheels blink until the truck is back in motion.

Prior to owning the 2005 XL-7, I owned a 2002 XL-7. A few winters ago, on a night when it was about 5deg F, the 4WD would not engage, forcing me to leave the vehicle at the bottom of my driveway. The next morning, I tried it again when the temperature was over 20deg F, and the 4WD engaged without a problem. I had no other problems engaging/disengaging the 4WD prior to or after that incident.
    Had the wheel bearings replaced. Total cost $410 and the mechanic showed me the old ones and would appear the hardening material on the actual bearings had gone. No noise from the rear anymore.
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Anyone on this board hear annoying faint rattles from the rear seat area? I have an 04 XL-7 EX / leather and lately I've been hearing some faint to moderate rattles from the rear seat. Checked the seat tracks / rear cover pull shade / license plate / etc. but no relief.

Then I check once again under the seat...the seat cables rapping into the spring undercarriage were suspect. These cables (kind of like bicycle brake cables) are for the release mechanism which allows you to fold the seats flat. I used a few tie-wraps to secure the cables to the under-seat carriage, and that did the trick!

Comments, questions let me know.
  • slinky1slinky1 Member Posts: 42
    Yes it is, 2007, it is on gm's theta platform but has a much different look from the equinox/torrent and is somewhat larger.
    It also has a larger more powerfull engine.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Well, after the Torrent came out, I doubt the '07 XL-7 will look any different other then a different grill and headlights. Keep praying that they don't screw up and use the cheap garbage 3.4L used in the Nox/Torrent.
    It is gonna have a new 3.6 L v6, and trust me , it looks different than the torrent, longer by about 18 inches!!!!, you cant even tell its on the same platform..........
    its going to receive a new name as well........
    want to change all fluids to synthetic- any advice , as I have no manual and not sure what grade for transfer case
    thanks! :)
    KJ
  • somdavsomdav Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XL-7. Like you my 4x4 will not disengage unless I reverse the vehicle or make a sharp right or left hand turn after disengaging the 4x4. I'm being told it has something to do with the turning radius of the car and tyres as they are worn down. My dealership and Suzuki are still looking into it. I have not noticed any correlation to cold temperatures. Did you resolve your problem?
  • anakhaanakha Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XL-7, just wondering if any of you guys noticed much difference with the K&N Air Filter? with power and fuel? Also do you know of any other mods i can do to gain more power?
    Or 4/4 wrench site
    thanks
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    I had the same problem last night. It was about 20deg F outside. I had parked my 2005 XL-7 with the 4WD engaged. After pulling off my driveway, the 4WD would not disengage until I stopped and backed up a few feet. I then tried the 4WD a few times after the truck had been run a few miles, and the 4WD engaged/disengaged normally. I'm going call my dealer today.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? discussion.

Steve, Host
    I put a K&N air filter several months ago. Certainly the perfomance has improved in terms of acceleration and runs very smoothly. I have a 2001 automatic but the fuel consumption has decreased from 22 mpg to about 18 mpg.

I am not sure whether this is the winter gasoline and general cold weather. I used to reckon on 300 miles per tank and now seems about 275. However the car is mainly driven by my son to school which is 11 - 12 miles in stop go.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but the fuel consumption has decreased from 22 mpg to about 18 mpg.

Your mileage will improve just as soon as you finish testing for "performance!" ;)

Seriously, it may well be winter gas and cold weather based on when you put the filter in.

tidester, host
    Dear Host

You may well be right. The other variant in this is the amount of gas put in the tank at fill up. In NJ it is not self service - attendant by law ! I have found that when the pump cuts off, some pump jockeys cut it there and then others do a "top off". This can make a difference to the calculation as I always reset the trip odometer to zero.

Rgds
    I would like to change the oil on the rear differential, but cannot find a socket drive in any of the parts shop. Most of them have hex attachments, but Suzuki is a square.

Does anyone have a idea where I can get a wrench or socket drive attachment that fits snuggly so there is not any play?

Thanks
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    its going to receive a new name as well........

I hope so. XL-7 tells everything. Its an "x"tended length grand vitara that seats 7. I hope the next non xl7 will be be big enough to compete with the pilot, highlander, ect :D .
    Gm already shot isuzu a blow by stopping production of the & passenger ascender... Maybe suzuki should do what Isuzu once did and team with honda/acura. Suzuki's engines(watercrafts) are very profitable but need some tweaking...
  • yurozukiyurozuki Member Posts: 1
    I have used regular ratchet 3/8 or 1/2 inch .. has square part for sockets ..fits perfect
    in my opinion, I don't see it as gm running out of money. I see it as CHEVROLET and buick loosing gm's profits. Opel, Saab and whoever else is selling well in europe. Thats where the profits. When (not if) saturn and pontiac finish establishing themselves, I think Chevy & buick should redesign the entire line including the low selling ssr and if that fails, some of chevy should be dropped and/or sold :shades: .
    "Suzuki with debut an all-new XL-7 SUV and the SX4 compact crossover at the NY show next month."

Suzuki to debut two new models at the NY show (Straightline)

Steve, Host
  • leclercleclerc Member Posts: 2
    WoW These Inquires Are old the 07 XL7 is about to land and there is big buzz about it. They are changing and will be an awesome ride. They follow along the lines of the New Grand Vitara, but alittle bigger. Suzuki is coming to North America so get ready! They are already #1 in Japan and like 2 or 3 in Europe, and 2or 3 in other parts of world. They out sell most other types and they are built to ride for a long time. 3 or 4 hundred thousand K's is not unlikely, if maintained. So people step up and go and check out Suzuki They have something for every need. Great wheeling to you all.
    They are already #1 in Japan

How do you figure? Toyota had a 40% market share of new car registrations in Japan in 2004 (haven't found later numbers) and are close to overtaking GM worldwide if they haven't already.

It's hard to find real numbers out there; it looks like Suzuki is number 1 in India for example. Got any links?

Steve, Host
  • terrytony66terrytony66 Member Posts: 3
    i have a xl7 and love it cant beet the car and the ride also great on gas.
    Suzuki sells about 2 million vehicles a year, alot bigger than people in North america think they are, but number 1 in Japan???? i doubt that????
This discussion has been closed.