Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• p_l_jonesp_l_jones Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a '97 SE and love it. I have to thank this board for all the great info I've gotten from about PF's..

Now I need some specfic advice on replacing the black plastic fascia around the CD/AC vents. The prior owner apparently had rubber cemented some type of holder for their cell phone right above the AC vents and have left a huge ugly scar on the plastic of my otherwise mint interior. I purchased the part but when I went to remove it I found that it comes out of the dash easily but has four wired connections to disconnect and reconnect to the new piece. I sure don't want to break one of these switches so I am asking if anyone has done this and can give some instruction on how to unplug these switches: Rear defroster, emergency flasher, rear-wiper, and lighter. I don't mind having the dealer do it but if its not difficult I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

Phil
  • npathfindernpathfinder Member Posts: 21
    Future PF buyers who are interested in the Nav system I would suggest waiting. I got a call from Nissan today and they told me they are changing the system for 2002!! It is going to be DVD based instead of CD based. It upsets me a little bit, but I think they are going to purchase some additional coverage disks for me. I am going to try and have them replace the entire system, but I don't think that will happen. Just wanted to let everybody aware...I would wait for the 2002 if you are considering a Nav system in your new PF...
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I just licensed my new '01 PF SE. Ouch! It always hurts to pay that sales tax! Anyway, when I went to install the rear license plate, I became concerned about the plate being right up against the paint on the rear hatch. My concern grew further when I saw there were only holes for the top bolts of the license plate and nothing to bolt the bottom of the plate to. So I bought a plate holder that fits between the plate and the hatch, but it just clangs against the hatch with nothing bolting it down on the bottom half. Any suggestions? Should I drill holes to install bottom bolts, and if so, should I just use regulart self-tapping screws or buy the little nylon inserts in combination with the screws? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I put to little thin square adhesive pads behind the lower end corners of the plate to eliminate that clang noise. Any hardware store should have these stick-on pad thingys.
  • brentm1brentm1 Member Posts: 4
    Did Nissan say that they would be able to put the system into the 2001 PF? I am in a situation where I can't wait to buy the PF but could wait to put the NAV in if it can be put in a 2001.

How did you find this out? Is there anyone I could talk to at Nissan? My dealer seems to know very little about the current version so he probably won't have any info on the new system.

Thanks in advance & thanks to everyone's input on the nav system.
  • tofunricetofunrice Member Posts: 20
    Npath... I live in California... I don't now the number off the top of my head but I believe it is number 1... Which number do you have...

Has anyone tried to burn copies of the CD? Wondering if we could make copies and swap discs? Oops... guess that wouldn't be legal!
  • arianna17arianna17 Member Posts: 4
    HI everyone,
    I need HELP! I went to pick up my new Silver PF today and noticed a few scratches on it. There was one long superficial one on the bumper, one on the windowpane, but the ones that upset me the most, are the three half-inch scratches on the driver's side door, three inches below the body side molding. Also, the rear push bar that I ordered has scratches on one side of it.
    I have no doubt that the car is brand new, but I am really upset by this. I told the salesperson and he tried to compound it out , it didn't help at all.
    I know that the scratches are more than surface deep, because you can see a darker gray color through the scratches and you can feel the grooves with your finger. He suggested that I use touch up paint to cover it, but won't that mess up the finish of the car?
    In any event, I refused to accept the car and told them they had to fix it. The sales manager offered to give me free bumper pads if I took the car to the service area myself, but I said no.
    Anyway, now I am confused about what to do. My questions are: Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Maybe it's normal for new cars to have minor scratches? Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Also, If they use touch up paint (like what they suggested me to do) won't the car look messed up? What if they do fix the car and it looks worse than before (this is what worries me the most), can I refuse to accept the car? Can I ask them to order me a new car?
    I really appreciate any input I can get!!!
    Thanks in advance!!! Sorry for rambling on and on!
  • marks1970marks1970 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 1999.5 Pathfinder, and I want to install a bug deflector on it. However, I don't like the looks of the one Nissan makes, so I'm wondering if anyone can make a recommendation on an aftermarket one.

Thanks.
    Ariana...

I would refuse to accept the car! Your car should be flawless when you receive it. I remember there was a contract I had to sign that said that "I accept the car as is"... make sure you don't sign this contract until they either have a body shop repair the fixes or get you a new one. That's my thought!
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    You did the right thing by not accepting it. There are things one can do to remove the scratches, from light professional polishing for the shallow ones, to repainting the door for the deep ones (the minimum I would accept)...but why bother. Just refuse the vehicle and get a new one. They will "fix" the scratches and sell it to some other sucker who is blissfully unaware of them.
  • arisaris Member Posts: 15
    I have the MCA #8 disk, and i am in a situation where i'm right between the MCA #6 disk, only about 8 or so miles away :( I didn't try to burn a copy yet, but if anyone would want to swap disks, that would be cool, because i think it's ridiculous for me to buy a disk thats $150.00 more for driving thats just about 8 miles from my home.... Anyway, Swapping would be cool if the burned cd's worked... Someone help : )
  • pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    You did the right thing, don't accept that vehicle without feeling good about it. They will bust their bottoms to fix it to sell it. Make sure it is right or tell them you want another vehicle. I posted earlier I got two small scratches at a car wash and it cost $268 to fix. Car wash paid for it and I took it to the best body shop in town. They did an excellent job. The dealer, sales people will make you think you are too materialistic, but it is your hard earned dollars. Don't let them shame you. If they repaint make sure it matches and you are happy. Later when you go to sell if paint doesent match they will tell you it looks like it has been wrecked. It is your money spend it wisely. I know you will be pleased with the choice of a Pathfinder, I love mine. I only have one regret and that is I didn't buy it sooner. Congradulations.
  • dell26dell26 Member Posts: 9
    I have the nav system, and I am really excited about it. The hardest thing is putting in your addresses for easy reference. You now can take a short cut without it taking you longer to get to your destination.
  • alkcalkc Member Posts: 9
    I find the responses to your "octane" thread interesting, because I have spoken with several Nissan mechanics who have told me that burning 89 octane in a 2001 PF will not harm the engine.

When I picked up my new LE last week, I was offered Perma Plate as an outside/inside protectant for $675. Unfortunately, I am only interested in outside protection and I was told I had to purchase all three services or none. Conversely, I spoke with a friend today who is a service mgr. at a local Honda dealership. They offer Touch of Class to their customers for $150 for outside protection only. My question: does anyone know anything about Touch of Class? I am tempted to go with that product rather than spending much more for both interior/exterior protection which I don't want.

Thanks to all respondents.

alkc
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Anyone out there know how to reset the engine service on a 2001 Pathfinder?

Thanks

Scott
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Do you have to pay those taxes even though you are not registering the pf. in Canada? What happens if you don't pay it and then you get to the boarder? Or should I say to customs
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I think that adding the Nav later would be almost impossible. It changes the temp controls completely. All new parts at Nissan prices plus installation would probably be into the thousands.
    -Jon
  • pat01pat01 Member Posts: 23
    Of course you did the right thing, Arianna. I believe the appropriate question for your dealer would be "Why would you purchase a new Pathfinder with obvious cosmetic defects without a price adjustment?" I believe you have the right to cancel the sale as long as you do not accept delivery of the vehicle. This probably varies from state to state as does the lemon law.

If you are uncertain about your rights, I would recommend checking with your state's designated automobile consumer protection agency. I believe that if you follow the following lemon law link from cartalk, it will guide you to your state's specific agency for assistance.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Tools/lemon-states.pl

• lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    You will always have to pay the Canadian national GST when you pickup the vehicle from the dealer. But you get it refunded by mail later as long as you brought it to the US within 30 days.

How provincial sales taxes are handled depends on the province. Ontario sends you a refund. Quebec won't. BC, Alberta, and Manitoba won't charge you as long as you are from the US.

Canadian Customs at the border doesn't care what you paid in sales taxes - they just wave you through. US customs charges you 2.5% duty. Your state charges you normal sales tax when you register.

After you net this all out, you should still end up thousands better off pricewise than buying in the US. Using a price I heard today and the current exchange rate (sky high!), an LE AWD with leather went for $27,300 at one of the favorite dealers.

-Jon
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Arianna,
    If you have not signed any papers, I will advise not to get the car at all. Ask for a new one.

If you have signed the purchase and just getting it back because of some items that you asked installed, ask someone in your State of your legal rights. Scratch is a scratch. If someone scratches my new car, I will be very upset. I am one of those who will probably have the scratch be repaired right away.

Again, if you can walk away legally, get a new one. Do not settle for anything less.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    I would not accept the car unless COMPLETELY satisfied!!! When we picked our '01 up it had a door ding on the rear passenger door. The paint wasn't chipped, just a golf ball size dent that was very visible. Told then that they either fix it or the deal was off even after the papers were signed. I have heard before that you have a few business days to cancel the deal. Never have I read anything official though. However, they used a paintless dent removal and I could not tell it was ever there. You will not be able to keep little door dings and scratches away from any vehicle, but when it is brand spanking new you should not have anything wrong.
    Good luck!
    Dano
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    Has anyone tried changing the oil on the '01 yet? How 'user-friendly' is it? I made one attempt to do it myself on my '98, but getting at the oil filter was rather difficult.

Thanks.
  • jambazijambazi Member Posts: 51
    This is such an obvious FAQ question, I don't know why I didn't include it earlier. The FAQ has now been updated with this new information which I've also included below for your convenience.

1. Remove the splash guard. This is a piece of plastic that sits right below your engine (a little forward). It is held in place by 8 bolts and one plastic connector. Remove the bolts in the usual way (make sure you get all 8, there are two of them high up on either side, where they are easy to miss). Use a flat-headed screwdriver to remove the plastic connector, which is in front-center of the splash guard. Pry up the center part of the connector, then you can just remove it with your fingers. If you break it, don't worry. The guys at the Nissan dealership throw these things away and don't replace them when they change the oil. It's really not necessary, since you've already got 8 bolts!

2. With the splash guard removed, you'll see that this is the easiest oil change you've probably ever done. Filter is right there, very easy to remove. There's even a little drip spout below it to prevent oil from getting on the rest of your car (although it does drip a little on the power steering line, which is no big deal).

3. Oil drain plug in obvious location too. You can see this without removing the splash guard. I'd recommend going to your Nissan parts department and picking up one of the fancy copper gaskets they have before starting, though. The drain plug doesn't use a standard washer, but a weird rolled copper thing that compresses when you tighten the plug. Hard to describe. Just get one and you'll see what I mean.

Have fun!

--Howie
  • jlairjlair Member Posts: 3
    You don't have to pay GST or PST if you take delivery at the border. If the dealership is close enough to the border, they might deliver it to you there. Or you can use a broker who will deliver it to your door or somewhere between.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about on the NAV system. All nav systems are GPS based. That is how they work. Here is a link with a review of the Infiniti QX4 NAV system (same as Pathy) and it has some links to other sites within the review: http://www.gpsinformation.net/qxfnav.htm

I found the link at this website with tons of info on GPS: http://joe.mehaffey.com/

Good luck! I hate uninformed sales people that act like they know it all.

• jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    Wow, what a great deal on Perma Plate!!! I am not familiar with Touch of Class. I guess we had "sucker" written across our forehead. That was one thing that we were not prepaired to purchase so never researched and we paid about $1500 for inside and outside application. However, we are so far very pleased with it. We have a 5 year old son and we love to go skiing. After a weekend of getting in and out of the car with muddy feet EVERY stain came right out without a problem. The pen mark made next to my son's seat came right out, too. So far I am very happy with it. Has anyone else had any experience with Perma Plate? Is it necessary to use only the cleaning product that Perma Plate suggests?---of course, their product.

We also purchased the entertainment system. does anyone know how easy it is to run a DVD player through the VCR? We have also found that the cordless headphones are difficult to use especially for our son. There needs to be enough pressure applied against the earphone to click the headset on and with such a small head (he's only 5) it doesn't click on. Does anyone know if there is another headset that would be compatible with the system that would be more user friendly?

Bummer about the SCRATCH on the PF. I agree with everyone....DO NOT ACCEPT IT THAT WAY. You will be paying good money and you should receive it in the best condition possible. You should be the one to put the first scratches on it:-) The day after we got the car home, we realized that there was a huge pen mark on the drivers seat(before the Perma Plate had been applied). I believe that one of the service people had a pen in there back pocket and when they sat down...OOPS. They agreed to get the mark out and they did a pretty good job doing so. To date, the pen mark is completely gone. Have fun with your new car!!

Thanks,
    Jenn
    NPath... Thanks for the info on viewing the longitude/latitude on the NAV system! I think that feature is so cool... the graphics when you're on that screen is pretty nifty. I like how you can see which satellites you have line of sight with and what elevation your at!

For those of you are interested in seeing how the NAV system looks and works like.... go to www.infiniti.com and go to the QX4's page.... they have a pretty nice FLASH demo of the NAV system (which is identical to the one in the Pathfinder). It's a short intereactive demo (using Macromedia's FLASH), but gives you a gist on the usability of the unit.
  • ac6000cwac6000cw Member Posts: 18
    You will need a filter wrench. The only kind that is usable is the kind that fits over the end of the filter and you turn with a wrench or socket. It is a very small filter. Suggest you take a new filter to the auto parts store and try them on for size.

You might be able to get by without a wrench after the first change if you only go hand tight but the factory puts those filters on TIGHT!. It will be impossible to get the factory filter off without a wrench.
    Hi jci109...

I don't have the ent.system... but i do own wireless infrared headphones from Sony that have the band across the ear piece that switches the unit on and off as you put them on. I am aware that almost all wireless INFRARED headphone units work interchangably... therefore... you can run to your local electronic store and pick up some cheap $30 infrared headphone unit and just use the headphones (granted that they fit your son properly). I like the one's that have the on/off "head band" for pure convenience, but I also know of some cheapies that have regular on/off switches on the side. The only thing is... you'll have to remember to turn the headphones off after use or else you'll drain the batteries down. So... find some infrared headphones that fit your son and you're set!
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    I haven't changed my own oil on my Pathfinder because I don't have any place to do it right now, so I don't really know what it looks like in there. But, on my old 300ZX, I once had trouble getting the filter off. I only managed to crush the filter with a filter wrench. So, I jammed a screw driver through the filter and used that to loosen it enough to be able to unscrew it by hand. A little "unprofessional," maybe, but it worked.
    The number of bolts should be 11 not 8. As I posted earlier with the stripped bolts and holes due to an inept oil change facility! Be careful not to cross thread the bolts. This process cost me several hours of time and about $100!

Thanks,
    Dano
    Dano,

That's really interesting. My splash guard only has 8 bolts (I just went down and counted them again). There are two on the front edge, plus the plastic connector. One on either side, up high, and then four along the back edge. That's it.

Where are your 11 bolts positioned? I didn't even see any extra holes in the splash guard for 3 more bolts.

--Howie
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2001 LE and just installed deflector from www.weathertech.com, it looks great. Same deflector for 1999.5-2001. $58.95 including shipping.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I'm wondering if Nissan made any improvements to quiet the interior on the '01 model. On the 96-99 model there seemed to be quite a bit of 'road roar' at hwy speeds. Can anyone compare the two?

Thanks.
  • bob_pathbob_path Member Posts: 14
    I recently purchased a loaded 2001 LE Pathfinder. Is the drivers seat the only seat where the seat cushion lifts up and down. I have tried the passenger seat cushion to avail. The passenger seat moves front to back and reclines. While the drivers seat moves front to back, reclines, and the height of the seat cushion can be adjusted. Is this standard on all pathfinders?

Also I purchased the husky floor mats for the front and rear. The front mats were a perfect fit. The rear were a little difficult. The piece that fits over the 'hump' was too wide. I had to loosen the center console to slide the mat under.
    Has anyone encountered this with the husky liners?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    With the leather option, you get power 8-way adj for the driver and power 4-way on the front passenger. The 4 additional on the driver are up/down and tilt fwd/back. Both go straight fwd/back and seatback-recline up/down.

HTH,
    Tom
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    scottc3: There service light soon light might have to be reset at the dealer.
    On some the factory forgot to erase all the codes and some have been showing up.
    Steve
    Jambazi,
    Something is different. I too made sure by a recount and like yours I have one on either side, four on the back, but I have five connecting the front. Ours is an '01 LE automatic trans. Do you perform your oil changes? If not, you might have been shorted the bolts like I was by the oil change facility. When I re ordered the bolts from a local dealer I was able to see their exploded diagram showing the tech the bolts I needed. At first I told them I needed only 10 and they told me it took 11 according to their diagram. What could be different?
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Thank you lair. I am on my way tonight to the north for my Pf.5spd. E.
  • highuphighup Member Posts: 31
    Mine came on because after a fill-up, I failed to fully tighten the gas cap past the point when it starts to click. The computer triggered this light and will reset it after several cycles of non-event for that "loose" gas cap condition. A cycle in this case is a cold startup till the engine is fully warmed. My light came on a Sunday night and it turned off Thursday afternoon on the drive home from work.
  • linleylinley Member Posts: 12
    can anyone tell me about the heated seats. Do they really make a difference? Are they part of a particular package? It was unclear to me when I read different reviews and I didn't ever see it as part of an option you could choose. Thanks
    I went down again to take a closer look at the front edge. Definitely only 2 bolts, with one center plastic connector. I don't even see where 3 more bolts would fit. There are no holes in the frame, and while there are a couple of extra holes in the plastic splash guard, they are at a place which does not overlap the metal (they're off to the sides).

I've done every single oil change myself since the beginning (only 2 so far, actually), and I'm sure I didn't forget any bolts.

I have an '01 SE with manual trans and 4WD. I wonder which one of those variables, if any, would make the difference? Anybody else care to comment? I have half a mind to go to the Nissan dealership and start looking under all the Pathfinders now!

--Howie
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I think the heated seats make a huge difference. I guess it depends where you live. I live in MT and CO and I cannot imagine having leather without them now. I can really feel mine. I have to turn them to low after awhile. It is not an option but comes standard with the "Leather option"
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    I noticed in the maintenance operation of the owner's manual that there is no timing belt mentioned for the VQ35DE.

For the VG33E, Nissan recommends that it be replaced at 105,000 miles.

Anybody knows if there is no timing belt for the 3.5 engines? If none, what is being used? I know that most of us are still enjoying our first few thousand miles but any information on this will be helpful in the future.
  • aspenwhiteaspenwhite Member Posts: 39
    It's 10 after midnight and went down my 01'LE w/auto trans, PT 4WD to count the bolts (just trying to stop jambazi from going to the dealer) mine has 4 in the front with one center plastic connector, 4 in the back and 1 on each side for a total of 10 bolts.-AW
    filod,

I believe the VQ35DE has a timing chain and not a belt. There is no service interval for this, because it should last the life of the engine.

aspenwhite,

Thanks! Although now I have to go look at my car again to see if I really am missing two extra bolts...

--Howie
    Man we really are getting crazy over these details. When I checked last night it was 11:30cst. Never thought I'd be in the basement that late.
    The difference may be between the SE and the LE but most likely the 4wd may have something to do with it. It will not surprise me if it turns out that there was a change at the factory. 100% without a doubt ours has 11 bolts. And for the record, before I found the oil change facility didn't reinstall them all, only 4 will hold it up(2 in front and 2 in back).

Dano
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Sorry, can't help you on this one. I haven't found any reason to replace mine. Actually, I rarely use it, so I guess it really does not bother me.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I concur with li_sailor -- both observations are correct. And yes, a fully-equipped HL Limited (at least to LE wiht leather) may cost more than the PF LE. BTW, my next-door neighbor bought one and it really looks smaller than the PF. And because of the car market, they immediately got discounts for the HL. So, I don't think that heavy discounting is isolated on the PF alone.
  • compaqesccompaqesc Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking about buying a 2001 4WD pathfinder SE. I have a 21' boat (boat + trailer weigh about 4000+ lbs). Does anyone else regularly tow loads this heavy with the pathfinder? How well does it handle it?

I am also looking at a V8 Ford Explorer. The pathfinder and the ford have similar HP/torque numbers, but I wonder about real-world experience anyone has.

Thanks for any input you can offer.