Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    I'm looking to replace a JGC, and the PF/QX4 are high on the list of possibilities. The Canadian Purchase Plan sounds interesting, and avoiding GST & PST even more so! Would you mind sharing name & contact info of the broker you used to deliver to the border & get through customs? I'd likely go through TO rather than Van, but it might be a good lead nonetheless. Thanks!
  • Options
    li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I only have my PF about 10 weeks and I haven't taken my boat/trailer on the highway but I've towed it twice for short distances and it has no problem...no engine straining, pretty quick response, no bottoming out of the rear suspension (though it does sink down a bit).

I have a 23.5ft sailboat (2750lbs, approx) and 1100 lb trailer for a total of close to 4000 lbs. I'm sure you know the PF's tow capacity is 5000 lbs (with auto trans)...this was a major parameter in my purchase decision. The real test will be pulling it up the ramp out of the water and I will try that in 2 weeks when I put her in the bay (I'll do a test right away to see how the PF handles it). I expect it to pull it up no problem...and I have 4LO to help if I need it (I'm sure I'll use it).
  • Options
    kelly47kelly47 Member Posts: 7
    We have a 98 pathfinder and have been thinking about trading up for something bigger and more comfortable on road trips.

I have never had any problems at all with the SUV but we have found the front seats to be very uncomfortable on long trips (3-4 hrs). The back seats are even worse.

We like the ride of the PF and the upgraded engine sounds great - have they made them any more comfortable?

We have an XE and had leather seats put into it on our 98.
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    This is my first PF, 2001 LE. The engine is great! At least in the LE, the drivers seat has 8 way power seats with lumbar support, front passenger has 4 way power seat and lastly the backs seats recline. I'm sure this helps a bit. But then again, I don't do 3-4 hour trips in any car if I don't have to. I can say this much, the PF is heaven compared to my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee...nice looking, but what a piece of dung that was.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    through the Rockies from Calgary, AB to Kelowna, B.C.

It was in my 99.5 PF LE which has essentially the same seats as my 2001 PF LE except it did NOT have the lumbar support. I am 6'1" and 195 lbs, so I am not comfortable in very many car seats for very long ( I also have occasional lower back pain).

With 2 one-hour stops on route to stretch the legs and back, I found it very comfortable driving for extended periods. I could have used a little more thigh support (seat cushion extended) and more aggressive lumbar support. It also tended to get a little "hot and clammy" on the back and butt after a few hours on the leather seats.

My 2001 has solved 2 of the problems with an adjustable lumbar support and perforated leather. Trips up to a few hours (Calgary - Banff, Calgary - Lake Louise) are a breeze. I'm looking forward to my first long trip in this truck.
  • Options
    arianna17arianna17 Member Posts: 4
    HI everyone,
    I just wanted to update everyone on what's going on. Thank you also for responding.
    Basically, I called the sale manager yesterday and told him that if I was not satisfied with the way he fixed my car, I would not accept it and I expected him to order me a new one. He tried to BS me and tell me that it was too late because the contract was signed already, plus they had already registered the car and gotten new license plates for it. I told him that it didn't matter, I didn't really care what paper work was sent out already, if I was not happy, I would not accept it. He told me to call him back today.
    I called him up this morning and he basically told me that the car would not be available until next Monday, and because I couldn't decide until then if I would accept the car or not, he put a stop on the paperwork. So, now I just have to wait to get my money back! Oh well! Back to square one!
  • Options
    jci109jci109 Member Posts: 9
    What an A** that salesperson is. They can be so nice until the going gets tough. Definitely don't let this leave a bad taste in your mouth about buying the PF. He is just a bad apple..but I would go to a competing dealership and give them your story and see how much they will bend over backward to makes things right. Also, I would draft a letter of complaint to the dealership with the A** working at it and CC the Nissan corporation. OF course, that's my thought on the matter :-)
  • Options
    captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Hi all,

For what it's worth, I just finished a 4,400 mile trip around the county in 10 days in the 2001 Pathfinder LE with leather seats. Some days were in the 12-14 hour range with only stops for fuel and munchies. I have two things to say: 1. I was thrilled with how comfortable the seating was! and 2. Texas is a VERY big state!

Captain Ron. . .

PS: I have 8 bolts in the plastic guard and one plastic clip-thingie. 4 in the back, 1 on each side and 2 in the front. The plastic clip is dead-center in the front. I've changed the oil and filter twice already in 2 weeks!
  • Options
    jman_texasjman_texas Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

This looks like a knowledgeable and helpful group so here goes...

I am considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and Nissan Pathfinder but am leaning toward the PF due to reliability, safety, and competitive price.

My main questions concern deciding between the SE and LE.

Seems like you can equip an SE for slightly less than an LE though only the LE offers the All Mode 4WD.

Any major differences besides trim/exterior changes to consider?
    Is the ride quality any different?
    I like the styling of the SE but have heard concerns about an outdated 4WD that is not for fulltime use (such as the AWD on the LE). This is not really that big of an issue to me since I don't plan on doing this alot but it would get put to some use.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks!
  • Options
    lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    Does any know what April will bring as far as dealer incentives/ lease rates on the SE? I am looking at an SE automatic with sunroof and was given a quote of $423 per month for a 3 year, 36,000 mile lease. That is with nothing down and just first payment and $400 security deposit due at signing. Being so close to the end of the month, might I get a better deal in April? Thanks for the info. I love this board!
  • Options
    I posted some pics of the wind deflector and cargo liner that I installed in my 2001 PF LE. If you want to know what these look like, go over to the Options and Accessories board and check them out.

Tom
  • Options
    jlairjlair Member Posts: 3
    I bought a Canadian Infiniti QX4 at US PF LE price. And I love the truck. Posted the details on #476 and #533 on the QX4 board. Also contact lofquist on this and the QX4 board by email. He has some detailed instructions on what to do. He was very helpful and supportive to me.

Did I mention that I really love this truck?
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    jman, some of the basic differences

Retail LE $31,799 (SE $29,349)
    LE standards are
    Sunroof (SE option $1,099)
    Auto trans (SE option $1,000)
    Auto temp control
    Auto headlights
    Home link (SE option)
    Outside temp and compass (SE option)
    4X4 LE all mode (SE shift on the fly)
    LSD LE $240 option (SE needs sunroof package)
    LE running boards (SE step rails)
    Grille LE chrome (SE sport)
    Fender LE body colored (SE titanium tinted)
    Wheels LE 6 spokes (SE 5 spokes)
    LE memory seats available with leather
    SE rear window deflector standard

Visit www.nissan-usa.com for the details of all the differences. I think you get a lot more with the LE but the SE has a different look, which is a personal preference.
  • Options
    fossfatefossfate Member Posts: 12
    does anyone know if the suspension is different in the LE/SE? I would think the LE would be a cushier ride.
  • Options
    The suspension is identical for all 2001 PFs
  • Options
    starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    The Only reason I would get the SE over the LE is if money is a big factor and you want a stripped down SE(IE no leather, auto or sunroof) -- Not that the SE can be considered stripped down.

If you start adding any of those options you are now so close to the LE price that the extra features you only get with the LE make it worth it in my book.

The wood grain trim -- Really completes the elegance of the pathfinder's interior.

AWD - great for ease of mind

Drivers side memory seats.

The only reasons I would get the SE other than price are if you really want 5 speed or you are too tall for a sunroof. I happen to like the alloys on the SE better, but that definitely was not enough to give up the above features only available on an LE.

Other than options like that they are the same vehicle, no difference in suspension like other Nissan SE models.
  • Options
    It's good to hear the seats have been improved. I will definitely look at the new PF. We are also considering a sequoia and maybe a used escalade.

I look forward to driving the new PF as we have been very pleased with the 98 other than the seat comfort issue.

thanx again.
  • Options
    If you purchase the Leather Package on the 2001, you also get Side Airbags! It hard to find an LE without the "Leather Package", at least in So. California.
  • Options
    jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    Thanks jlair! I've already contacted jlofquist - what a resource! (Thx again Jon!) I'm heavily leaning toward a PF or QX4, but am also considering MDX, Sequioa, & possibly Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. I know they're different beasts, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions of anyone who's tried these other trucks. Thanks.
  • Options
    That's funny me and you are lookin at the same vehicles.

I have driven the yukon. I think it was the LT trim, all leather sunroof, 2wd, etc. It was nice, drives smaller than its size would suggest. The engine felt sluggish to me and I left my test drive feelin OK about it - but certainly not blown away.

After all the hoopla on the message bds and the media, I drove the MDX. It was very comfortable, seemed wider than the lexus RX300 (which my father drives), handles much like a sedan, didn't have the pickup I was expecting from the engine. The second row of seats seemed alittle cramped to me. I have to admit that it didn't blow me away and the fact that you will probably pay MSRP and wait a few months (at least at my dealership) was not encouraging. I did not feel it was worth all that.

I just had a Sequoia overnight for a test drive and wife approval. I was very impressed with the fit and finish, loved the smooth engine, and size. Liked the fact that you won't see hundreds of thousands on the road. I tested the SR5 2wd with leather seats and while the leather is very nice and comfortable, i thought the stereo and dash was somewhat plain for a vehicle of this price. My dealer did come off the sticker ($37,800) a couple thousand dollars but I wanted to wait and drive a couple others before buying it. It has definitely moved to the front of the list for my purposes.

Next week I am to drive a 2000 escalade coming off a lease with about 35,000 miles and see how that stacks up.

I will also drive the PF LE before I buy anything. We have a 98 and have absolutely zero problems with it and simply want a little more comfort and room, so I'll see how the new models fair.

All in all I will probaby end up with the PF, SEQ or escalade. I am alittle nervous about all the problems I hear with the tajoe/yukon allthough friends of mine have both an love them.

we'll see.
  • Options
    path01path01 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Everyone,
    Glad I found this forum as it appears to be made up of respectable and knowledgeable members.

This past Monday we became the proud owners of a 2001 Pathfinder LE. It makes a fine addition to our other vehicle, a 2000 Maxima SE. Yup, we are Nissan fanatics!

The Pathy is Bronzed Grey with Charcoal Leather. Options include LSD, Cabin Microfilter, Hitch, Sunroof Air Deflector, Floor Mats, Body Side Moulding, and, did I state that lovely Leather package?

So far my wife and I are very impressed with the ride and handling, and of course we are familiar with Nissan quality, this being our 4th.

I haven't had the chance to get underneath and pull the splash shield yet to see the oil filter, but I do have a question about it. My owners manual states to use 15208 31u00, but when I went to my dealer today to swap some 15208 9e000 filters that I had from a group Internet purchase, the Parts Manager entered my VIN into his computer and came up with 15208 65f00 which he gave me. These filters are small and the information on the box indicates that they are for 4 cyl. applications. If they are in fact the wrong ones, the dealer will swap them for the correct ones. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    zenmasterpoohzenmasterpooh Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a problem with the rear drum brakes on this expensive SUV?
    I am looking at buying one, but I am hoping that the 2002 model will have 4-wheel disk brakes instead of the rear drum.
    Do any of you owners have complaints about the wet weather braking behaviour?
    Or braking in general?
  • Options
    kfmdkfmd Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to the board but all of you seem very knowledgeable. Quick question for you. Motor Trend notes in its future vehicles section that Nissan is redesigning the Pathfinder for 2002, making it bigger and giving it a new look. Has anyone seen any other information on this or seen a design? If so, any leads to the info would be appreciated. I'm interested in the Pathfinder but if the design is going to change, I'd rather wait to see what it looks like before I commit to the 2001.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I haven't had any problems with the braking system after one year and 12k miles. Several emergency braking maneuvers have gone smoothly and ended quickly. Someone posted that it had a shorter breaking 60-0 mph distance than did another similar SUV with 4wheel discs (? was the RX300 but can't remember). Anyway, don't notice the rear drums.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    I too agree that the PF would be better with four wheel disc brakes! However, we have had ours for a year now and the only problem we have had is the annoying brake squeaks. Maybe Nissan will offer that option on future models.
    Dano
  • Options
    This is according to Nissan enthusiasts at:
    http://www.freshalloy.com

Truck/Suvs, Feature + Nissan/Infiniti Model Matrix
  • Options
    My 2001 LE brakes like a charm. Both Motortrend television and Motorweek spoke highly of its stopping power. In fact, it stops in a shorter distance than most SUVs in its size class, including some of those with 4 discs (129 feet versus 134 feet for the RX300 and 141 feet for the ML320). I guess a well designed disc/drum braking system can perform well, even compared to a disc/disc system.
  • Options
    jambazijambazi Member Posts: 51
    This question was kicked around pretty extensively in the past, and I haven't updated the FAQ with it, because we never really settled anything to my satisfaction. Here's what we know:

1. The Service Manual calls for 15208 31U00 "OR EQUIVALENT."
    2. Two dealers I went to state that 15208 31U00 is being replaced by 15208 9E000. This is how it's listed in their computers.
    3. The dealer that another member (meca2, I believe) went to has 15208 65F00 or 65F01 listed as the correct part in its computer.
    4. The 15208 65F00 was designed for use in the Sentra (4 cyl) engine.
    5. The mechanic at the dealership I went to said that 9E000 will currently replace all of the above part numbers. He states that the apparent discrepancy now is due to the residual supply of 65F00, and dealers who have computers which list this part as the correct one are in areas where they are trying to offload that inventory. Once they run out of 65F00, it will be replaced in the computer by 9E000.
    6. The filter that came on my car from the factory was 65F01.
    7. The 65F01 and 9E000 have the same diameter, but the 9E000 is longer. They both have check valves.

This whole discussion was triggered by my going to the dealer to get oil filters, and being given 9E000. After all that, I decided that the 9E000 was the way to go (especially the two dealerships in my area didn't even carry the 65F00 or 65F01, nor did they have them listed in their computer).
    I currently have the 9E000 on my car, and it's the second one I'm running. I do not think it's bad for the engine. It is, in fact, a larger filter than the 65F00, and it also has a check valve, like the picture in the service manual shows. There's no way it can void the warranty, since the dealers are using it, and Nissan has its own internal documentation which indicates the 31U00 being replaced by 9E000.

Hope this helps!

--Howie
  • Options
    goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    Escalade will drive the same as the Yukon/Tahoe. Not worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. It looks the same too. I heard that the 2002 Escalade is a little more distinctive looking though.

The rear drum brakes are fine. You don't feel any difference when driving in wet conditions versus dry. I had a Saab with 4-wheel discs and my LE brakes much better than the Saab ever did.
  • Options
    skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    One very important difference between the SE and LE in terms of ride quality pertains to the suspension. The SE (i.e., sports edition) uses a firmer suspension than the LE (luxury edition). This is true of the Maxima as well as the Pathfinder. The SE PF will handle slightly better than the LE because the suspension is firmer; however, the LE has the smoother, more comfortable ride. I confirmed this fact with a Pathfinder salesman. I have not personally driven an SE PF however, I remember test driving an SE Maxima. The ride was way too firm for my tastes. I felt every ripple and imperfection in the road. The ride was very uncomfortable. A friend of mine leased a SE PF and hated the ride because it was too harsh. I have test driven an LE PF and loved the smoothness of the ride. Currently, I own a GLE Maxima, which rides very smoothly. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    I have heard that the PF will be redesigned for the 2003 model. I have been considering a PF but per my earlier post here, I feel that the 2001 model falls a little short (rear drum brakes, cramped rear seat, limited headroom, narrow rear entry doors etc). I suspect that the 2002 model will not change at all from 2001 model since a major redesign is due in 2003. Unless a person can not hold off until the 2003 model is released, it makes sense to wait in my humble opinion. Typically, Nissan will bring a redesigned vehicle to market early. For example: When the Maxima was redesigned for model year 2000, it was actually released for sale in May of 1999. Also, the 2002 model year Infiniti Q45 is a redesign and it is being released in April/May 2001. Hence, I suspect that the redesigned 2003 PF will be released in April/May 2002, which is just next year. The body style for 2001 and 2002 PFs have basically been around for a while. They will surely decrease in market value when the 2003 model is released next year. For my money, I'd rather wait for the redesigned PF next year. Any other thoughts?
  • Options
    arisaris Member Posts: 15
    I think the earliest the 2003 Pathfinder will come out in late August of 2002 at the earliest. The 2001 Pathfinder is really a great SUV. I'm not a owner(yet) but i've test driven almost every SUV, from an Xterra, to an Escalade, and i really feal that the Pathfinder has the best ride quality/engine/comfort. It is the best bang for the buck if you ask me, especially since the incredible incentives out right now (3.9 APR, plus the invoice sales) on these 240-250hp beasts. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with the Headroom or rear seats.

We also don't know what the 2003 PF will look like. It might not be so eye-appealing, so I am going to get myself a 2001 LE PF, because they are truly awesome SUV's.

Just a thought/opinion,
    Aris
  • Options
    kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I have seen some discussion about oil filters for the '01. Most of the messages referred to buying the filters from the dealership, but I was wondering if it's possible to order them off the internet. If so, what is the price vs. the dealers price?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I see you posted that a salesman told you that the PF SE suspension is firmer than the LE...I stated previously that I thought they were the same...alhough I probably should have said "as far as I know", I've never read anything that said they were different. Anyone else heard that they're different? Jambazi...you have the SE, no? Do you know?

Tom
  • Options
    The suspensions are EXACTLY the same for the PF (maybe not the Maxima). This was an important issue for me as I prefer firm suspension settings and would have seriously considered the SE over the LE if this was the case (or changed out the shocks/springs on my LE). After driving both quite aggressively and noticing no difference, I asked the service managers at 2 dealers to confirm the suspensions were the same, which they did. Just to be sure, I contacted Nissan Canada and got the same answer. They responded that differences in tires and tire pressures between 2 test-driven vehicles can dramatically change the ride even if everything else is the same (I guess I can buy that). I've learned to be suspicious of what salesmen tell me. I've found that many posters on this board tend to know more about their vehicle than some salesmen :-)
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Altima SE (Sport tuned)
    Maxima SE (Sport tuned)
    Quest SE (Sport tuned)
    Sentra SE (Sport tuned)

Pathfinder SE (no mentioned)
    because it is the same as the LE

Nissan usually advertised the sport tuned suspension for their SE models.

I have the PF brochure and no difference is presented. I also verified their web site and only the Altima, Maxima, Quest and Sentra SE models have the sport tuned suspension.
  • Options
    I do have the SE, and the ride is nice. Of course, the air in my tires is at 26 psi cold, as recommended. Never driven an LE or XE (does anyone on this board have an XE, by the way? I haven't seen it mentioned), so I can't compare.

I did check the service manual, however, and they make no distinction between SE and LE as far as suspensions go. There's a small difference between 4WD and 2WD, but not between SE and LE.

That difference, by the way, is that the 4WD rides 0.63 inches (1.6 cm) LOWER in the front than the 2WD with the same size tires (255/65 R 16). If you were to put 245/70 R 16 tires on both models, then the difference decreases to 0.12 inches (3 mm), with the 4WD still riding a bit lower. All other specs are identical, as is all the service work.

--Howie
  • Options
    path01path01 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the information on the Oil Filters Howie. I guess I will go back to my dealer with this information and get my filters back. I would much rather use the larger ones with more filtering capacity. Apparently there is no interference by using the larger size.

Ron
  • Options
    busikbusik Member Posts: 6
    A friend of mine leased a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE about 3 years ago. His 39 month lease will be up in Aug., 2001. He recently received a call from the bank BANK ONE holding the lease an offer to buyout for around $400/month (they will be financing about $17K). The SUV has less than $30K miles. But my friend has no interest in the lease buyout, he simply want to return it back to the dealership in Aug. and lease a new one.

This is where I come in ..I am interested in buying his SUV. Does anyone know how this process works? Can he or I negotiate the selling price/monthly payments directly with the bank holding the lease?, or do we have to go thru the dealership who leased the SUV?, which I do not want to do. Any suggestions/comments on negotiating the best price? before I call the bank? Is there any kind of help available on the Internet?

Thanks, Busik
  • Options
    Ron,

No problem. Glad to help out. But one thing you might want to consider is to use the filter provided by your dealer. That way you can keep the receipt and be protected if any warranty issues arise.

Howie
  • Options
    signalksignalk Member Posts: 13
    I'm planning on buying a new PF LE with the entertainment system and leather pkg, LSD, and a few other incidentals. From what I'm gathering, is it true that I should be paying roughly invoice (about $31,000 plus or minus)? If so, with 3.9% financing, this is a great deal. Anyone have experience with this? Tnx.
  • Options
    arisaris Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

I recently checked out the Edmunds.com True Market Value on what i plan on purchasing. I was truly stunned to see the TMV price lower then the invoice of the vehicle. That is truly stunning. The PF i plan on purchasing has all the bells and whistles(ent. system/nav. system/AWD/Leather/LSD) it is nice to know that with all those options, the price i should be paying for the car, including the options are less than invoice price.

Concerning #2042, check out the TMV pricing calculator on edmunds.com, it should help you get a precise figure on what you should be paying.

Anyway, hope this helped,
    Aris

P.S. - This msg. board isn't as active as it used to be... Whats the problem? haha
  • Options
    qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    i've gone through 3 years with a 98LE
    and now a 01 QX4

read drum brakes: no complains at all.

as long as i know the brakes are more low maintenance than my 4-disk 95 maxima.

a 96 accord also has read drums, its been very satisfying and reliable.

so i've driven both types, its nothing that would concern me. not for my normal driving purposes at least.
  • Options
    path63path63 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone had success programming the Home Link system with their garage door opener?
    I currently have a genie garage opener and have tried to program with no success.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, everybody. I've been reading this forum for a while & I finally bought my PF. Every time I get in it I can't believe it's mine.

2001 LE
    Sierra Silver
    AWD
    Leather
    Tow Hitch
    Body Color Side Molding
    Limited Slip Differential
    Floor Mats
    In-Cabin Microfilter
    Sunroof Wind Deflector

I tried something kinda different that I thought might be of interest to some people. I'm sure some of you have heard of the "blast fax" method, where you fax the fleet manager at several dealerships looking for offers. Well, I did this but with a twist. I told them what options I was looking for & that I already had an offer of invoice price from the dealership I was talking to, $31,916, but that I was looking for offers below this. I didn't have an offer of invoice price yet! The fleet manager from a dealership called & said he had exactly what I wanted on the lot. He also said there is currently a customer rebate of $500 & a dealer rebate of $400 (which I knew about already) & that he would give me both of these. He said his invoice price is higher than what I was showing (imagine that) but made me an offer of $31,540 plus tax, license, & fees. Invoice price for this model w/ options is $31,916. I was offered $376 below invoice & $3,812 below sticker of $35,262... even though I didn't have an offer of invoice! The beauty of this method is that it was completely "no haggle." I went in that night, test drove the PF, they held it for a week until a loan on my condo closed, & then signed off on the numbers we had already agreed on. It couldn't have been more stress-free. I realize that the market is slow right now & that this might not have worked on a super-popular vehicle, but if you're considering buying I strongly recommend you give it a shot. Anyway, happy to be a PF owner with the rest of you guys...
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, just thought of some questions (probably the first of many).
    1) I read in the manual that you can't use chlorine based disinfectant cleaners on the windows. Does this include Windex & other common glass cleaners or are those safe? I know on a previous vehicle with an aftermarket tint job that I owned I was told not to use cleaners with ammonia. But this tint seems to be smoked into the glass as opposed to a film. Also, what glass cleaner do you guys like (streak free, etc.)?
    2) Should I wait 6 months or so to wax my new PF or is it ok to do it right away? I've heard before that you might have to let the paint cure first.
    3) Has anyone used a K&N replacement filter or supercharger with their 2001 PF? If so, how does it feel... power & fuel economy?
    4) On my previous vehicle I used Philips Super White headlight bulbs & loved them. I went to the store today to buy some for my PF but couldn't find them in bulb number "HB2" (as stated in the manual). In fact, I couldn't find any replacement bulbs with this number. Is there another number I should be looking for? Also, has anyone replaced the fog light bulbs with something different, maybe something better in fog? Just looking for ideas.

Thanks...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats on your new PF!

It's ok to wax a new car--everything I've seen around here says the paint is "cured" at the factory.

K&N filters do nothing for fuel economy, imho! <g>. That <g> is because you'll find lots of people who will differ with me. You should read through the posts in K&N Air Filters - Bolt on Power?

Check out Aftermarket Xenon-filled halogen bulbs while you're over there too.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    oakley5oakley5 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I finally received my shipment from nissanpartsusa.com, but guess what! The rear window deflector arrived broken in several pieces. And even if it whould have been in one piece, I wouldn't have been able to install it because only the acrylic part was in the box. No other parts or instructions were included. I heard from someone earlier who had also order the same deflector and it took 3 shipments for him to finally receive all the parts from nissanpartsusa. I wrote to them asking for a refund. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I installed steel mesh in the nose area. I used eavestrough mesh (it has a very good black paint coat on it and is "expanded" mesh with about 3/16" "holes"). It shouldn't cut air flow too much, and will stop all large bugs and all dangerous rocks (it bends a bit to absorb the energy). It comes in packages of 6 pieces, as I recall. They are 6" wide by 48" long approx. You will need a "U" channel at the bottom (I used vinyl siding "finishing" strip), and you need to fab. some brackets to mount it inside the grill. I used the studs on each side (pair of them for some sort of impact device we don't get here). I put the channel as far forward as I could to slope the mesh back at the top. At the top I used an existing stud on the pass. side, and drilled and inserted 10-32 stainless screws with nuts to make three more "studs" sticking out of the cross channel that is just in front of the rad. (be carefull to pull the cable out of the channel before drilling). Two of the mesh pieces go on each side (cut them to length). I use wingnuts to hold them on the studs so I can pull them out to clean them. I also installed a shorter piece in the centre on the center brace just below the sensors, using an existing taped hole (one bolt). The mesh is curved, and I mount them with the curve of the centre one opposite that of the four others.
  • Options
    jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    The HB2's are also the same as headlight number "9003" I just ordered PIAA super plasma headlights and fog lights but have not received them yet. We will have to see how they look.