Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    I just checked my tire pressure which I do every once in a while. The 2002's are spec'ed at 30psi all around, yet this time my pressure was 26 lb psi all around. I suspect when I took it in for an oil change at the dealer they air-ed it down to 26 lb. I know previous years had 26psi as the spec, but it was changed. I don't notice a difference in ride at all, I am going to take it back up to 30lb per the door sticker.
  • Options
    jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I just bought a new 02 LE -- List $34,570 for $30,000. Certainly a lot of vehicle for this price. I even got a relatively fair price for my Trail Blazer trade as they were very eager to close the deal.
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I am looking for rear split exhaust system for my 2002 pathfinder Le. Does anybody around los angeles area know where I can find good deal for exhaust system. I have been having hard time to find rear spilt exhaust system, if anyone knows any brand that makes for late model pathfinder please lemme know.
  • Options
    world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Is it for looks only or will it provide any benefits ?
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    There really isn't a "manufacturer" of dual exhausts for your truck. Virtually every 96-02 Pathfinder that has dual exhausts has been custom-done by a shop local to the owners.

If you want a dual exhaust system for your truck, call some local muffler shops (NOT Midas, though) and see if they can set you up.
  • Options
    pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Every time I start out using the brakes on my 2001 Pathfinder SE after a cold start, the brakes make a squeaky/squealing sound. After a few times of braking, the sound seems to go away. My dealership has told me this is normal, are any of you guys suffering from this as well??? Other than that...my pathfinder has treated me very well.
  • Options
    poswaldposwald Member Posts: 38
    I too have the same brake noise that you mention in my 01 PF LE. I have had it since new. Dealer also told me there was nothing they could do. The best explanation I got on it was that the rotors get slightly oxidized and that squeak you hear is the oxidized layer being scraped/cleaned off. It goes away after a couple of minutes every time which is why I never worried to much about it. I really love the strong braking the PF has as I have a heavy foot.
  • Options
    mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    What kind of financing offer did Nissan give you along with that '02 price? Thanks!
  • Options
    lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I have real problem with the rear suspension on the pathfinder. When 4 average size adults sit in the truck, it hits the bump stops when going over a moderate bump with both rear tires at the same time. THis is with no other wieght other than the 4 people. None of the 4 were over 200 pounds. How can anybody consider this to be appropriate? I've ridden in Sedans that were able to carry more without riding so poorly.

Last weekend I went deer hunting with two other people so we had 3 people, a couple bows and some clothing, not really a load and it was the same way, sitting low in the back and bottoming out on medium size bumps. I like driving the truck, especially with the manual trans. but I can't wait to get rid of it so that I can get a real truck. I hope the new full size pick up isn't this weak in the knees.
  • Options
    Would installing air shocks in the back help the "bottoming out" problem

If I'd buy a Pathfinder I would install these shocks the solve the sagging done by my boat trailer tongue weight.

The bottoming out could be a problem for me. Almost every weekend during the summer I pack the kids (2), lots of luggage and a large cooler, I attach the boat (250 lbs tongue weight). Gee I'm worried that I will bottom out with such a load.

Opinions ?
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    The PF bottoms out w/ more than a couple of people because the shocks/struts are tuned for a very soft ride. This is great when there's only 1 or 2 people, as it gives you a soft ride that soaks up most of the bumps. But, the downside of this is that w/ any more of a load than a couple of people, it's too soft & hits the stops. I'm not saying this makes it acceptable. In fact, there's plenty of vehicles out there that have managed to balance this much better. But, buying a "real truck" won't help anything. You'll have a stiff suspension that hits bumps hard all the time.
  • Options
    I'm sure that there is a way to fix that problem. I was suggesting airlift in my previous post to help bottoming out and sagging.

Anyone here have airlift on a 2000-2001 or 2002 Pathfinder
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    There are a number of people who have done this mod quite successfully to their PF. A search of this board (or the PF Mods board) should find you some testamonials.
  • Options
    The suspension is basically the same for Pathfinders from 1996 to current, so if you're interested in seeing an installation on a 97 LE, click here. The only major noticeable difference between the rear suspension current models and older ones (96-99) is the location of the shock mounts.
  • Options
    smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2001 Le and want to upgrade the shocks. I am having a hard time finding an aftermarket shock for the 2001 Pathfinder. Rancho, KYB, and Koni do not have shocks for the 2001 PF. What have people been using? By the way, I really feel this is poor that I have to install upgraded shocks and/or air springs just to haul 2 adults or a small trailer.
  • Options
    smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    xplorx4 - I see you used an RS9000 shock on your 97 LE. But I also noticed you raised your PF by 2 inches. According to Rancho, there is not an RS9000 and RS5000 shock application for the 2001 PF with no lift kit.
  • Options
    My previous full size truck rode smoother due to the longer wheelbase and could handle over 1,000 pounds in the bed without ever bottoming out. My neighbors trailblazer can handle 7 people without bottoming and rides great when empty, smoother than the PF even, though the PF handles turns better and is a more solid feeling vehicle. I was just trying to say that I think this is a poor design and adding aftermarket equipment to allow you to use the truck as it is advertised is unacceptable to me.
  • Options
    andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    I was told by Tirerack that Konis will fit 2001 LE's. They're expensive, $356 for a set of four, plus shipping and installation.

I'd like to hear more about the improvement in ride and handling before committing that much money.

AW
  • Options
    From the post I read it seems that the bottoming out has more to do with the 2001 model.

Is it possible they have fixed this problem with 2002 or 2003 ?

And for those who bottom out, does it occur often or is it occasional.

Will I bottom out each time I will pull my boat ? Some people here say they bottom out with fishing rods !!!! and obviously some passengers....
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I don't know, I have an '01 LE and tow my boat along with many others at the marina I work at. I've never had a problem with bottoming out, even when towing with 400lbs of tonque weight. Granted I don't have any passengers when towing boats at work and my kids are 4 and 4mos, so they don't add alot of weight when towing my boat. Even if I did have a problem with bottoming out, it wouldn't ruin my opinion of the Pathfinder.
  • Options
    Shocks-

Yep, Rancho's catalog doesn't specify a shock that fits the Pathfinder. However, coincidentally, the RS9116 is a near identical match to the OEM shocks. It turns out that the RS9010 are a good fit with a 2" lift. My testing (and many others on another discussion board) have shown that the RS9000 adjustable shocks (or the new RS9000X) are a good fit indeed.

I do not recommend the RS5000, because they are not adjustable, and the valving may not be ideally suited for the Pathfinder.

As for bottoming out, it happens only as frequently as you carry 3 passengers and luggage/cargo (or tow a heavy trailer) and drive over bumpy roads. Never happens during solo driving.

Best thing is to wait and find out when it's a problem, and see if you can live with it. It all depends on the load you're carrying and the road conditions (and of course vehicle speed).

I can only say that since installing the airsprings over 30000 miles ago, I've never bottomed out.
  • Options
    dupersc1dupersc1 Member Posts: 11
    The Koni front struts come with just the catridges, not the whole housings. You have to cut your stock struts, remove the internal catridges, drill a hole on the bottom of the housing and install the Koni.

Here's the instruction, read them before you decide to buy.

http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/boltstrut.pdf

I bought the Konis but returned them when I found out how complicated the steps are and went with KYB GR-2 struts which are identical to stocks but a little stiffer. I can't comment on how they ride with stock springs because I have the 2.5" spring lift and they ride nice but definitely stiffer than stock.

For the rear, as xplorx4 said, Rancho RS9116 will fit fine and ride very nice.

• Options
    brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    Hi,
    I've got a 2002 LE and i've thought about putting the electric antennae from the QX4 onto my truck. Has anyone tried this? Is it easy to install? Expensive? Any input would be helpful. Thanx...
  • Options
    nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I have also been told that is normal, and that it's just moisture that builds over night, especially on rainy days. It subsides after a couple of brakings. It also happens on my Maxima.
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    I never had a problem with bottoming out in my 2001 QX4, even when I had people sitting in the way back (okay, so it probably wasn't a good idea to load 7 people in it, but that's not the point). Does anyone know the specific suspension/strut difference between the Pathfinder and the QX4? If differences exist, changing to the QX$ suspension could be an option for everyone with bottoming out issues.

I agree that it shouldn't even be an issue, but it sounds like the 2002s have been fine, so it might be a problem that they fixed.
  • Options
    I'd be nice to see if the bottoming out issue as been solved for good.

As well I'd like to have comments about the lastest version of this truck.

How's the leather in the 2003 LE ? Good quality ?? Slippery ??

Any problem with your Pahtfinder so far ?

Any good comments ?

Is MPG as badd as they say ?
  • Options
    I think that the Qx4 might have a better suspension. We went fishing last spring in a 2002 Qx4, we were 4 large persons (over 6' and around 200lbs each), lots of luggage (including lots of beer. We pulled a big trailer with an ATV and some more luggage.

It was a terrific ride !!!. I don't remember bottoming out at all even on very tough and bumpy roads.

Could they have put the QX4 suspension on the 2003 Pathfinder LE. Gee the two trucks are so similar.....

They may have merged most of both products specifications for this last year of production.
  • Options
    The Sears I went to said there was no Rancho application for a 2001 LE. If they're wrong I'm not surprised.

As a starting point, I'm considering replacing the rear shocks first, to get better ride control especially when fully loaded.

I don't have the tools to do the installation, so I'm relying on a shop to do the work so I'm cautious about asking a garage to perform a complicated installation.

If the Konis or the Ranchos are the direct fit (at least in the rear) and would provide improved ride control, I'm on board. The rear Konis cost $80 each at Tirerack. How does that compare to the cost of the Ranchos?

The OEM shocks need a bit more compression damping (which should reduce bottoming) and a lot more rebound damping. My PF has 25k miles and of course the dealer is absolutely no help on the shock issue.

AW
  • Options
    dupersc1dupersc1 Member Posts: 11
    Most Pathfinder owners I know use Rancho RS9116 for the rear and I don't know anyone that has Koni shocks. You can order Ranchos at http://www.4x4parts.com . The installation for the rear is very simple and straight forward.

-Soak the bolts with WD-40 for a few hrs.

-Jack up the truck,

-put jackstands under the axle,

-move the tires,

-remove the bottom shock bolt (19mm),

-remove the top shock bolt (22mm),

-remove the shock,

-put in the correct metal sleeve for the new shock's bushing.

-Rancho come with a few washers, or you can pick them up at any local hardware store. I use 3 for top and 3 for bottom.

-Install new shocks,

-Install tires.

That's it. The shop shouldn't charge you more than 1 hr of labor.

• Options
    If you have a 22mm socket, 19mm socket or box wrench, and 17mm socket or box wrench or crescent wrench, you can replace the rear shocks yourself. It's not even necessary to jack up the truck or remove the tires, although doing so may give you more room to work.

Rancho doesn't officially make shocks that fit the Pathfinder. However, by coincidence, the RS9116 is a near perfect match.

Other alternatives would be to buy whatever Sears, etc. recommends as a "performance" shock for the Pathfinder. It will certainly not be as good as the Rancho (which is manually adjustable), but it could be better than OEM.
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Does anybody know the exact wood trim color or brand that are used in 2002 pathfinder le.
  • Options
    jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    For financing, they had available from Nissan .9% for 3 years.
  • Options
    mikelvonmikelvon Member Posts: 4
    I just recently went to my dealer with the typical
    bottoming out complaint. They said there is a NEW
    fix that they just got on their intranet.
    Albeit the parts were back ordered for a month, I just had them installed on my 2002 LE. What they amount to is a LARGER & LONGER solid insert in the spring assembly...I still don't understand the enginering of it all but I had 4 guys ride with me after installation and even though we wnt over speed bumps, dips, etc. I could not make it bottom out
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Go to NHTSA.gov and search for Technical Service Bulletins on 2002 Pathfinders. There is a TSB on the rear suspension bottoming out:

Make: NISSAN TRUCK
    Model: PATHFINDER
    Year: 2002
    Service Bulletin Number: NTB02081
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 633

Summary Description:

SUBJECT REGARDING REAR SUSPENSION BOTTOMS OUT. *JG

It says 2002 though, but my 2001 also bottoms out. Any 2001 owners trying to get this fixed at the dealership, please let everyone in the forum know how it goes. Thanks.
  • Options
    onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    Would the cost to get this fix applied be covered by Nissan or is it the reponsibility of the consumer to pay? I just picked up a 2002 LE 2 weeks ago, and while I havent bottomed it out yet, I am definately concerned about the issue.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...should be covered under warranty.
  • Options
    There is also a TSB for the dreaded console temp display inaccuracy problem(NTB02043).

I'm calling my dealer later today to ask about both.

AW
  • Options
    I wonder if that problem was corrected on the 2003 ?
  • Options
    I'm going to call up my dealership tommorow and ask them about it. Any difference in the ride with only 1 or 2 persons in it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    mikelvonmikelvon Member Posts: 4
    I may not have composed my message correctly earlier, so here goes for a second try.
    It has only been only three days since they installed the new equipment on my 2002 le. I am what they call their "guinea pig" since I was their first. I cannot feel much difference so far, as far as stiffness goes, they said they thought it would ride a little higher too, but there again, I cannot detect too much difference. I noticed the problem mostly when going golfing with 4 guyes in the truck and 4 golf bags in the rear. But alas, I have not had the time to get a forsome together since the "fix. darn! darn!
  • Options
    charleslarrycharleslarry Member Posts: 4
    dieselone,

what was the outcome of bringing your PF to the dealer last Friday. you posted a problem with humming noise at 35mph.
  • Options
    My dealer says the fix involves the installation of bump stops. He's ordering the necessary parts.

I have a 1998 BMW 323is that never bottomed its suspension despite riding much lower.

I'll wait after the fix is made to decide on rear shocks. Thanks for the instructions, but I don't have an impact wrench and my experience with replacing shocks in a Ford Fiesta during my college days makes me leary of trying it with hand tools alone.

I've had all the O2 sensors, the AT module and valve body replaced, all under warranty. Granted none of these issues left me stranded, but I'm still hoping the PF provides many years of trouble free service.

The dealer is also checking into the temp display TSB.

FYI, the NHTSA item numbers are:

SB633673 for the rear suspension
    SB632155 for the temp display

AW
  • Options
    danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I too have fixed the problem with air bags and soon to fit Rancho shocks in place of the stock shocks. The stocks are too soft and bouncy. I did contact Nissan Consumer Affairs of CA. The person that I talked to, implied that they know of the problem, but that it is a dealers choice to fix it, if they think there is a problem. The fix is covered under warranty. The rep. would not tell me what the fix is. I think he said it is up to the dealers to decide. I'm going to stay with the air bags and Rancho shocks. I think that the Nissan fix is only a half a fix. And may cause problems with the front end. The air bags have made my 2001 LE ride much better, with and without a load. Also the air bags allow you to maintain a level ride under all load conditions. The dealers fix is the cheepist way to go but maybe not the best way in the long run.
  • Options
    nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    danpf1, Did you put rancho shocks on all 4 sides or just the back? Did you get the 9000 adjustable series? What about air bags front or just the back? What is the total cost?
    Thanks
  • Options
    danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    nikiblue, I ordered 9000 adjustables for the rear only from www.4x4parts.com, they haven arrived yet. When I mount them, I will let you know how they work out. The air bags are mounted in the rear stock springs, with indivual air lines attached to each side of the PF running boards. I maintain (7) to (10) pounds in each air bag, for two to four people. Total coast will be about $250.00, installed by me. There are some on this site who have already installed both air bags and Rancho shocks. If anyone has, please let us know how it all works out, and is it better than the dealer fix.
  • Options
    airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    Even when driving in 2WD mode, I can feel the transfer switch lever is always vibrating if I put my hand on it, although it is not making much noise. It's a '02 SE, only 1.5mo old. Is this normal?
  • Options
    nchelonchelo Member Posts: 8
    I have a 99.5 Pathfinder LE with yet more problems.

When the car was under warranty I had the AC Compressor replaced after only 33,000 miles. It made a horrible pinging noise. Now that I have 60,000 miles I have the same problem. You can hear the car coming from a half mile a way. Of course it is not under warranty now, and the dealer wants $750 to replace it. Has anyone else had this problem. I am afraid to replace it, thinking it will just have the same pinging noise problem a year later.

Similar to above, my fan is making an annoying whirling sound. It happens whether the AC or heat is on. Problem is I can't tell if it is actually the fan or something in the air ducts. Any suggestions so I don't have to pay the dealer $80 bucks in hour with the potential of still having the problem?

My Dealer has been useless as usual.

My Pathfinder SUCKS. I knew I should of bought a Toyota
  • Options
    that is normal. its quite annoying in fact for those of us with long legs since my right leg/knee kind of brushes against the transfer case lever sometimes.

nchelo - i don't know if you have any other dealers nearby, but maybe you should try another one and explain that this is a recurring problem for you. if not, try a call to nissan customer affairs ( the # might be 1-800-nissan-1), open a case file, explain it was already repaired under warranty and the problem came back. its worth a shot.
  • Options
    I had an appointment to have the rear suspension looked at in my Pathfinder but before I was able to take it in, the Chevy dealer made me an offer on trade in that I couldn't refuse so now I am driving a Chevy crewcab pickup. It hasn't bottomed out so far.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I have an appointment tomorrow to fix these two issues now that TSBs have been issued. I'll let you know how it goes...