Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    If you have had no luck in the junkyards you may not find an exact replacement, but Radioshack does carry a decent assortment of replacement knobs in various styles and sizes.
  • lschmidtlschmidt Member Posts: 8
    My Jeep is finally back home with me after almost a month at the dealer. Transmission is rebuilt and is running beautiful. Who knows if it is fixed for good. Chrylser doesnt want to talk to me and I am not in the position to spend thousands to fight them. I also have the fixed interest contract with the end balloon payment. What do you mean by turning the vehicle in and it costing $275? I am not confident driving this vehicle after all the problems and would like to get out of this contract, any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • knichol05knichol05 Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure where your from or what your contract states, but mine has a section on the back titled "Return of Vehicle". It states:
    "You may return Your Vehicle to us along with the title and any other required papers and pay us a disposition charge of $275 and any other charges for excess wear and tear and for excess mileage...You agree to give us 30 days written notice before the due date and to arrange a conveninet time and place for us or our agent to inspect the vehicle..."
    I am still involved in the Lemon Law process, but I took this to mean that I can return the vehicle at any time with 30 days notice and a $275 fee.
  • smithtysmithty Member Posts: 1
    I just left the dealership in Chicago and recieved a quote for 31,900 for the following:

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited
    5.7 Hemi Engine
    GPS
    DVD Entertainment System
    Trailer Package
    Supp Side Air Bags
    Sirius Sat Radio
    Package 25K

What do you all think, a good deal? This does include a military rebate of $500. Car has 37 miles. Thanks.
  • fubzyfubzy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee and very interested in installing the new 4" Superlift Suspension Kit and was wondering what the best size rims and tires would be. I think that a 33x12.50 should fit, but I am lost in finding a aftermarket rim to fit i.e. the offset & backspacing of the rims and tires. If anyone could help Thank You.
  • guertinguertin Member Posts: 39
    Invoice by Edmunds was $32,859. Dealer invoice was $33,234. Why the difference? Also, dealer wanted to charge for his advertising ($160) and for Customer One Owner Loyalty mailing ($25). This was in California.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not sure. From the Help files:

"in some regions some manufacturers may make adjustments to their prices, for example by adding a required advertising fee, which can affect both the invoice price and the MSRP for the affected vehicles. Edmunds only publishes national prices and does not attempt to track these regional variations."

It's pretty funny that Jeeps wants to bill you for sending you mail. The ad fees, even if legit, are just sad.

As always, focus on the out the door price and you won't have to waste time negotiating the line items like these.

Steve, Host
  • gccambridgegccambridge Member Posts: 24
    I have been posting the "problems and solutions" forum and happened to see your post. Goodluck with the process!!! I too have had transmission problems with my 2005 GC. It didn't stall like yours, but it was a hard shift into 3rd gear (banging into gear, definitely did not feel right). First dealer I took it to said it was normal! Second dealer recognized it and at 5,300 miles the tranny was rebuilt. Still had the same problem so now the pistons and retainers are being changed. This is the 3rd time they've had the car (not counting the first dealer I brought it to). I am hoping this fixes the problem as I do plan to keep the WK for a while... Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have MA Lemon Law it... In fact, just bought new wheels/tires for it!
  • tthompson311tthompson311 Member Posts: 2
    I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me if i can put 1999 JGC Limited headlights on my 1999 JGC Laredo? I am going to order some but want to make sure if they will fit first? Thanks for any feedback
  • harsjeepharsjeep Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: HI, I am new to this forum. I just recently bought a 95 jeep GC. I love this thing but quickly found a bunch of problems that have been discussed here. I took her to my local jeep dealer to find out they want to charge me over 4,000, bux to fix everything. like: rear needs to be rebuilt, viscous cup needs to be replaced, steering box is leaking, motor mounts are bad, and needs a trailing arm. now like i said i love this thing, and i'm not in a situation to buy another vehicle at this time, i had decided to list it for sale again, but then out of the blue i decided to keep her. i can't let go of it. years ago i had a 79 cherokee. i loved that old chugger. never had problems with it. but with all the things with this jeep, i don't know if i want to buy another.but for now i'm gonna start replacing things lil by lil, used parts of course, my goals are to lift this thing and make her a good 4x4. i have some friends that are jeep buffs and they are trying to help me get her straightened out. thank god for jeep buffs. if anyone can give me a moral boost or some good info please feel free to do so, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks and all for now.
  • philakidphilakid Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2004 Grand Cherokee with inline 6 engine. The vehicle was never used for towing and has no towing package nor prep done to it. My concerns are due to the vehicle weight, horsepower and torque. I need to pull an open trailer and motorcycle (about 2000-2500 pounds) and will also be towing in mountains (up to 7500 ft). and dessert (temps above 100).

I did the trip once using a Toyota Camry (192 Horsepower) and found that I could not use the cruise control on I-40 because the transmission kept going out of overdrive. Thus I found myself reving to 4000 rpm and getting 12 mpg. Yes - I know it was dumb to tow with a camry.

Since the JGC with I6 is only rated at 195 HP and 230 ft lbs of torque, will I experience the same issue of not being able to use the cruise control? Does the vehicle need to be prep'ed with a larger radiator and a transmission cooler? What else would need to be done in order to tow with this vehicle?

Should I keep looking for a vehicle with more HP and torque?

Thanks
  • harry0harry0 Member Posts: 42
    I just took some pictures of my Jeep. This is what a white one looks like.

http://community.webshots.com/album/548697188kmhzhY/0
    Check out our new image site - it's a good place to make albums and post photos of your ride.

Steve, Host
  • hooks47424hooks47424 Member Posts: 1
    A friend of mine has this jeep so I said id help him out and maybe get the thing fixed. He's replaced the thermostat with a 195 degree. It did have a 160 degree thermostat in it. It wasn't heating prior to him replacing the thermostat and it still won't heat does anyone have a solution. Its his only vehicle and he has a 8 month old baby. We live in Nebraska so it does get pretty cold. thanks for any advice.
  • odaysailorodaysailor Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts...
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    AOL has the Edmunds list as a news headline, "Ten Fiercest Rides in 4-Wheel Drive": Jeep JGC and Wrangler make the list, and deservedly so.
    Missed that list; thanks Transpower. Here's our link:

Top 10 2006 4WD Vehicles for Off-Highway Use

Steve, Host
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    I have had it exactly two years now. Towed my boat from NJ to FL and back twice. Never had a problem, never had a warranty claim. All I have done is change oil and rotate tires. Love this vehicle!!!!!

I cannot understand why all you hear in these columns is complaints.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I cannot understand why all you hear in these columns is complaints.

In fact, that is not all you hear. However, someone experiencing problems is much more likely to go out and seek help than someone who's not experiencing problems. :)

tidester, host
  • rheiserheise Member Posts: 7
    I was told by a Chicago area dealer that he was giving $5500 off of invoice for the 2005's. Even without destination and taxes, that comes out about right with what was offered you. That sounds like a pretty good deal with all the options, but is it worth having a vehicle that is technically already one year old. I can still get 0% financing on a 2006 (not 2005), so the interest savings makes up for the bigger discount. Better off with a 2006.
  • alan93alan93 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the fuse for the auxilary power outlet (always on) is blown but I can't find it to replace it.

The owners manual on page 202 shows a passenger side kick panel for these fuses but it doesn't exist on my jeep. I found the power distribution under the hood but the manual doesn't specify anything for this power outlet fuse. ???

:confuse:

Anybody know where its at?

A picture or link would be great if you have one.

Thanks
  • chefechefe Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2000 GC loaded, emaculate, still on extended warrantee but 95000 miles, 20,000 for a 1999 seems like a bit much, I saw a 2004 ( old body style) in Wilmington De for 22,500 with 19000 miles and a 2005 ( newer body style) with 10,000 miles for 22,900.00, hope that gives you an idea.
  • chefechefe Member Posts: 8
    2001 same body style as 1999 to 2004, don't know what you want, what about milage, what about color, price options, warrantee?????
  • p4jeepp4jeep Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    I'm an 01 Grand Cherokee owner, have been for 3 years. Huge fan of Chip Foose. Getting bored and decided to do some radial stuff, like Airaid throttle body 1" spacer, Jet proformance Chip. got a ton more HP, well not a ton, but considerable improvment. Instaleld an ACDC adapter and installed a mini PC w/ a 10" touch screen for NAV and anything you can imagine you can install on a PC. Have it hooked into my Kenwood multi in head unit. Working right now on a new design for hte dash, bought a huge piece of alumimium, doing a mock up in cardboard of course...Looking for ideas as far as boring out he pistons to get just a little more HP, or should I leave well enough alone here? Or just go get a Hemi to replace my soon to be burned out at he rate I'm going 242 in line V6?
    Cheers
    Jeep at the NY auto show (Straightline)

Steve, Host
  • machinedogmachinedog Member Posts: 2
    I hope this is the right place to post for this but we're going to be going upto north carolina in a month with a 5000lb trailer loaded with quads and we were wondering if the Jeep would be able to handle the hills and mountains with this kind of a load or if we would have to bring the F-250 instead. We'd rather bring the jeep because of the NAV and comfort of it. BTW, we have the 4.7L V8 and the tow package.
  • mom3kidsmom3kids Member Posts: 2
    96 jgc rebuilt transmissionits been back to the mechanic 4 times.everytime i get the jeep back!when i go to drive it it shifts in and out of gears then eventually overheats.has anyone had this problem.
  • peatonpeaton Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing a '99 JGC Limited. I am looking at one that is a V6 and one that is a V8.

Which would be better?
    Is there a lot of difference in the gas mileage?
    Is there anything I should know about this model?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Patty
  • cliffeteckcliffeteck Member Posts: 1
    hi all
    the problem i am having with the above is that when the car is doing 50 to 60 and is in final drive with the torque converter fully locked there is a deep throbbing noise from the trans and it gets louder the more throttle you give it. any one out there know what it might be my local jeep dealer in the uk wants lots of money to rebuild the transfare box but is not 100% sure that will fix it can you help many thanks cliff.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    Love to see the one with the V6. What engine is it? Chevy or Ford? Who did the conversion? Do you really want to buy a car with a motor coversion to a non-Jeep Motor?

Or do you want to look again and see if it isn't an I block 6? ;)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    SUPERMAN, how's going buddy? How's Lois
  • jeepdtjeepdt Member Posts: 15
    I was driving down the road the other day and thought "WOW, they've done a great job on this new JGC". I mean its almost perfect. It goes fast (4.7L V8), handles great, stops on a dime: even after 36000 miles with NO brake job. Took it to the Jeep camp last year and was the ONLY '05 JGC on the trail and got totally mudded up, some even came inside :) . Bottomed out in ruts made by the big tired Wranglers, bumpped into a couple of trees and made my own path at one point. Washed it up and went to a fancy restaraunt that same night. Only complaint was the position on the ignition key, but finally found a sitting position that works, so now I don't bump into the switch while cruising. Alot of technology put in but nothing that takes away from the fun. Kinda' sounding like a commercial but, again, "Wow, they've done a great job on this new JGC"! :shades:
  • bleachlbleachl Member Posts: 7
    While Driving My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.0L, 2WD, it just shuts down and cuts off. Sometimes it will start right away and sometimes it will not start for at least 16 hours (that's the longest it took me). Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution. I changed the fuel pump and it's still doing it. Can anyone help me. :confuse: :(
  • mamameowmamameow Member Posts: 5
    Hi I have a lease w/ 29,000 Miles.

Wanted to share two issues I have been having with my Jeep for the dealership cant seem to figure out the root cause.

1. At times when I go to "floor it"...the RPMS go bezerk and start revving for no reason and its almost like the engine is about to die, or the trans shifts to neutral or something. Not a mechanic to describe in tech terms. Basically...hit the gas and I dont go any faster momentarily and its scarry. Dont want to make any bold moves on road now in fear that the 2-5 sec I have no power...will end up in a major accident.

2. From a cold start, when I turn the ignition on..its almost like its going to stall. It has only actually stalled on one occasion, and I am wondering if this issue is in relation to the one described above. Just a hunch.

Feedback much appreciated thanks!
  • quin52quin52 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My daugther is asking me to help her purchase a 1977 JGC with an asking price of $3400. This includes a lift kit. It is supposedly going to be a project vehicle, but she will also need to drive it daily for work. I think this ask price is too high. It has been safetied and the carburetor was just rebuilt. It has newer rubber and the body is in decent shape with some rust but they plan to do it over so not a big deal. Insurance is going to be low but if in an accident I cannot imagine the insurance covering the ask price. Can anyone offer any insight into buying an older vehicle like this? Time is of the essence of course, as the seller is wanting an answer.
  • whattodo2whattodo2 Member Posts: 18
    As a recently widowed mom of two little ones I'm looking for a reliable, all weather safe, budget-sense vehicle with the following specs - fit two carseats, big lab dog, big wheels and tent w/ accessories, possibly fit lawnmower (or tow behind), bikes, etc. - did I mention on a tight budget?

Anyway, I've basically narrowed my search to Jeep or Explorer, and currently am looking at a 1994 JGC with recently rebuilt transmission, 166K, new tires, new front brake pads, engine work done to replace valve seals (?), one owner salesman, "test driven" all last winter by a friend who recommends it but needs to sell it (already owns 7 vehicles). Only "quirk" known is back driver side window doesn't work - not the motor. Asking $3,000 more or less....Is this a good deal???

In comparison, looking at a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, maintenance records available, 106K, $5,500 OBO. No other details known.

Either one seems to give the flexibility for cargo room and road safety (we hope to go on road trips - no real off road but camping, parks, etc), but the cost vs the mileage and age - -
    Does anyone have any opinions from owning both of these vehicles? Any years to avoid? Any specific questions to ask?
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Both of these vehicles sold in high numbers, so parts are available including at the junkyard. Both prices sound a little high to me, but if they can be negotiated down might be fair. The Jeep power window assemblies I have seen come as a unit and have to be replaced that way, the motor is just part of that unit. I don't know if the Ford is that way, but this is a good part to get from the junkyard in either case. Be sure to get a carfax report on any choice before signing the final papers. I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 132,000 miles and have had only occasional minor repairs to deal with since purchasing it with 64,000 miles about 4 years ago. The inline 6 cylinder is the easiest engine to work on and is still showing no signs of needing any work. My 6 cylinder 2wd Jeep gets 19.3 MPG combined highway/city driving although I rarely go on the interstate. I love my Jeep but in the end the best deal will depend on which is in the best condition and has the most verifiable history. Remember, all those New Orleans flood cars are still out there and that type of vehicle is just asking for problems. In most cases Carfax will be able to alert you to these.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Both of the '90's-era JGC's and Explorer's were the best in class at that time. Both served very well and there are still plenty of them on the road today.

The JGC w/166k miles is a little on the high side, but I've heard and seen people crank out 200k++ out of these things. Here would be some of the things to look for on the Jeep:

If 4WD, make sure that the transfer case has been serviced and the fluid in both the transmission and rear-end have been changed. The transfer cases for these things can run into the thousands.

Some early model(93-95) models experienced electrical probs, so I'd take a well knowledgeable mechanic along for reassurance.

As for the Explorer:
    I know it's an EB with all of the luxury comforts, but most '95-'97 Explorer EB's were sold with the V-8/AWD set-up and these were the most problematic models. The automatic suspension had numerous problems. And if it's a 5.0L V-8, STEER CLEAR. You may as well purchase an Expedition as the fuel mileage on this model is comparable to the bigger ute's(the 5.2L V-8 Jeep doesn't fair much better). Figure something like 12 mpg for both.

I had both of these vehicle's ('95 JGC Limited and '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD) and both served me quite well. The Explorer was a bit(not much tho) easier to maintain, but the Jeep had a better ride and an overall more luxurious feel.

In closing, as xscout said. Please get a carfax. I know your time and money means even more to you now, and there are people out there scamming left and right. And I do feel that both of those asking prices are a little on the high side, especially the Jeep. They do have good resale values, but not this good for a 13 year old SUV with close to 170k on the clock. The $25 carfax report will save you from spending mega bucks to repair these complex autos.
  • whattodo2whattodo2 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks to you both - very helpful information!!!
  • cheaponecheapone Member Posts: 2
    i have a 96 g.cherokee. iam going to put a 2" coil spring spacer on. i cant seem to remove the bump stops. i already pulled out the small plastic plug, i discovered another one above that. i thoughtthese things were bolted in?
    please help
    thanx :confuse:
  • enegmaenegma Member Posts: 7
    Explain what happened before the check engine light came on. This is is just one of many sensors on the JGC.Could have a bad connection to the sensor . Don't think it would go bad after 30K miles :confuse:
  • hayhow1hayhow1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2000 JGC. the criuse control quit on me. the lite still comes on the dash when i hit cruise on button, but when i hit set it dosn't engage. can anyone help?
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Different vehicle, same problem. '00 Trooper. My cruise 'on' light would come on, but the cruise would not engage. I did without since I could not find the problem. One day a guy flagged me down and told me my brake lights were not working. Checked it out and finally found the fuse that was blown...seems it was not the one that it should have been on the diagram. Once I replaced that fuse both the brake lights AND the cruise works correctly again. So, check all of you fuses.

Good luck
    Bill
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Hello all!

I'm trying to determine whether a 2002 4.0L JGC can safely tow a 5000 lb trailer for 1800 miles (GA to AZ) with just a class III hitch (doesn't have the full towing package). Any comments/suggestions are welcome :)

-Frank
  • hayhow1hayhow1 Member Posts: 3
    i found out that the a/c and the cruise are controled by a vacuum line. it broke i fixed now it's fine.
  • baron_350baron_350 Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone, can someone help? (I posted on another thread and never got an answer) Is it possible to replace a bad PCM on a 2001 Grand Cherokee Ltd. (4.7L QuadraDrive) with a used unit from salvage (the donor vehicle is set up exactly the same as mine with same options, drivetrain, everything). Dealership trying to sell me a rebuilt one for $700 and I almost fainted. Have found a used one from a rollover wreck truck for $150. Jeep is driving fine currently but CEL stays on and scans keep returning P0601 bad PCM code. Any help at all will be VERY appreciated!!! If it will work I will snatch that part up!
  • cheapjeeppartscheapjeepparts Member Posts: 2
    If the Chrysler P/N on the used unit is the same as the PCM on your vehicle they will be compatible. Though the $700 dealer price sounds a bit high. I am a Jeep parts dealer and the most expensive PCM I list for that year model (parts vary by VIN codes) is $488 internet retail for a new one. If you need to find the part number for yours, call a Jeep dealer and give them the vin#. This will allow them to look up the factory module number.
  • baron_350baron_350 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the advice! I will call another dealer that hasn't already been talking with me on it in the morning to get the part numbers by referencing the vin's. I appreciate it! :D
  • blanksterblankster Member Posts: 29
    I would love to buy a '07 Grand Cherokee Overland but at $3.00 to $4.00 per Gal. my fear is what will the vehicle be worth after 3 years. I wish they offered more of a Lexus RX type vehicle that got better mileage. At 14 MPG city for the Overland I'm a bit scared off. I tried a V6 Grand and it was a bit of a dog on acceleration. This is from a customer that has owned a 2001 Grand and now a 2004 Grand Limited. Anyone else feeling the same?
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    The 2007 JGC CRD (for Laredo, Limited, and Overland) should be available in March of 2007 and should get 22 mpg city, by my estimate (and my hope).