Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Well I have been hit by gunk too. I thought that I was exempt from the goo on the window but I got it last week on my rear passenger door :(

I forgot was there an actual fix to this or do you just clean it up?

Robert
  • Options
    biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Noel, The plug can be located at the passenger side of the oil pan. If you crawl down under your ML..of course you are looking up, you will see two black hoses about the size of your little finger"well thats how I explain it" anyhow, the plug is just right on top of that hoses(screwd in sideways)not like the rest of the bolts holding the pan, you will need a 13mm wrench to removed it, and make sure you have a good size of bucket b/c you will going to drain 8 1/2 qts. of oil. Good Luck..e-mail me if you still have a question.
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Robert:
    The approach Drew is taking is correct and will probably be the one I will take as well if I get the problem. Ask your service advisor what they do when insulation comes loose and see if they use the 3M adhesive to glue it back on. If not, bring in your own adhesive and ask them to try using it on the replacement piece.
    Of course, now Drew has to tell us where to get it and whether yellow or black is the right type to get :-)
  • Options
    noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    biker5, thanks for the tip. I found it right after I posted my question.

So, oil change accomplished using 8.5 qt of 5w30 Mobil1 synthetic oil at 4970 miles. Thanks to Drew and Biker5 who helped me with all the info. Now I can drive with a peace of mind not having to worry about dirty dino oil ruining the vehicle.

While I was lying under the vehicle, I noticed a few rust spots on the bottom of the chassis/undercarriage. They looked like a result of inferior paint job (paint cracked/chipped)and at one spot, it looked like the paint was damaged when the chassis was rested on the assembly line. (That spot on the chassis looks like a specially molded / reinforced footing for the frame)

Do you guys think the dealer will entertain to fix such rust spots that can easily be blamed on the owners, 10 months after delivery? I remember reading someone made the same complaint to his dealer and had the entire undercarriage rust-proofed for free.
  • Options
    I'd suggest not using this on your next oil change. It's not on the approved list, but 0W40 and 15W50 Mobil1 are.
  • Options
    tomk88tomk88 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a used 2000 ML320, and need a 3rd row seat. For those that currently do not have a 3rd row seat, what is involved in adding it later? Can I buy the seat from the dealer or 3rd party and install it myself, or must I take it to the dealership? Should I just try to find one that already has it? Once installed, is it easily removable or is it fixed to the floor.
    I looked through the last houndred or so appends and didn't see anything on this.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Would any ML-320 owner recommend this vehicle to someone looking for a nice luxury suv.
  • Options
    Thanks, Ken, I chose to use 5w30 after reading the post below. I'm confused, please clarify. I called the dealer and was told to use "5/50 weight synthetic". Now I am really confused. Should I drain the 5W30 and use 5W50 or 15W50? What do you guys think?

The following viscosities are listed for any temperature:

0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40, 5W50.

Above minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit: 10W30, 10W40, 10W50, 10W60.

Above 5 degrees Fahrenheit: 15W40, 15W50.

Above 23 degrees Fahrenheit: 20W40 and 20W50.

It says: "Select oil viscosity according to the lowest air temperature

expected before the next oil change is due."

This is valid for all Mercedes in North America, by the way.

Choose to your liking :-)

- --

Wolf gang Henke

http://www.whnet.com/4x4

• Options
    djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Yes, its smooth, quiet, it handles well, its nicely appointed. I much prefer it to the RX300 because IMHO its quieter, has a much better dashboard, its more comfortable and much more fun to drive. I thought the Land Rover Discovery was a much rougher car when I road in a friend's (who since got rid of his).
    The big question to me is do you need a third seat and, if so, how big are the occupants? There is a mixed reaction to the ML's 3rd seat. (I don't have (or need) one.)
  • Options
    Somewhere earlier there is a reply on this point. The problem isn't adding the 3rd row seats, its changing the 2nd row to one that flips forward to allow entrance to the 3rd row. $$$

FWIW I bought a pre-owned 2000 ML320 at the beginning of this June and think its a great vehicle. Keep searching for the one you want, I'm sure you won't regret it.
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    i dont need a third row seat because this is only for me. thanks for comments.
  • Options
    indunainduna Member Posts: 3
    What and where is the best lease deal anyone has negotiated on an ML430?

Appreciate comments from any leaseholders out there.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The viscosity of an oil is related to the temperature range it will be exposed to because the numbers indicate how thick the oil is. For example, 40 weight oil is thicker than 5 weight oil. A thicker oil is better in hot weather but in the cold, it tends to turn to syrup.

Unlike oils of old, today's multiple viscosity oils are more resistant to changes in temperature and can therefore be used in a wider range of climates.

I'm not sure why kenyee told you not to use 5W30. 5W30 can see you through summer in Death Valley and winter in Ankorage.

Don't dump your 5W30, it's fine.
  • Options
    spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    there are 3 luxury suvs IMHO -- the mdx, x5, and ml. (could put the rx in there but it's smaller than the rest and is more of a station wagon, but others would certainly disagree). i own the 98 ML and will soon exchange it for one of the 3. Acura is probably the best value and i think makes the best use of the size, the x5 seems most fun to drive, and the ML is a real solid ride that is much improved over the first years.
  • Options
    fedlawman and noel:
    The reason I said that is that MB sent out a letter saying that all MBs should use synthetic from now on, then proceeded to give a list of approved synth oils. Mobil1's 5W30 was not on the list, but Castrol's (I think) was. I wouldn't drain it and dump it, but I would not use it next time. You can search for the lively discussion at www.escribe.com (search for m-class to find the archive of the m-class mailing list).
    All ML owners should have received the letter. I did not, but some of the mailing lists' members did so I know the content of it.
  • Options
    chaddschadds Member Posts: 11
    Hi. It's fixed! Technical service rep. knew something the dealer didn't. They replaced all three parts again and did his trick and it's like brand new. No sticky. Still love this vehicle!
  • Options
    Would you mind asking him what the trick was?
    This comes up often enought that I'd like to know...
  • Options
    Thanks for the oil info. I think I will keep the 5w30 for the next 5000+ miles and then it will be time for my first FSS when the dealer will change the oil to whatever they see fit. But for future references can someone (maybe Kenyee) who has the list of approved synthetic oil from MB post it on this forum? Thanks.
  • Options
    neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    If you merely add a 3rd row seat in a ML not previously built for it, you will have difficulty getting to the third row. This is because the 3rd row option includes second row seats which fold down, and away to allow entrance to the third row. Also ML's built for the 3rd row have rear cargo windows which open electronically to allow for better ventilation in the rear.

Neicey
  • Options
    Has been posted here in the past.
    No way to search this forum AFAIK.
  • Options
    dvalidvali Member Posts: 1
    What about Mobil1 0W-40 ? A friend of mine is using this oil in Germany on his ML320. This is what his dealer recommended. Is this type available here (US/Canada) ?
  • Options
    tomk88tomk88 Member Posts: 2
    Neicey59 and DJDJ: Thanks for your input. I spent more time searching the previous messages and found more info at around msg#3250, where, besides some discussions, Drew has some pictures that are very helpful. However, someone mentioned that they MBUSA sells a 3rd row kit for 99 and 98 MLs. Does that kit include the tumbling 2nd row seat? Is it true that for MY200 and 2001, if it's not factory built with 3rd row seat, then it cannot be added to including the tumbling 2nd row? If the answers are both true, I'm thinking that if I cannot find a 2000MY with 3rd row seat, then my only alternative is to get a 99MY and buy the 3rd row seat. I already have my heart set on the ML and want to make this work while staying with less pricier pre-ownes
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Can you find any MY2000 with the 3rd row? AFAIK, they added and fixed a lot more stuff to the MY2000 and newer models. Not much change from MY2000 to MY2001. Where are you located? Maybe some others in that area know of an ML320 with the 3rd row for sale.
  • Options
    Mobil1 0W40 is perfect. That's what comes w/ AMG cars from the factory. Mobil doesn't sell it in the US/Canada yet (I've been pestering their web site for months :-) but the dealers and only the dealers can get it.
    Mobil1 15W50 is also approved.

There is no 3rd row retrofit kit for MY2000 and above models. You can get the parts and have it done, but it will cost a lot more than the factory option; it would be cheaper to trade it in.
    The 1998/1999 models had the 2nd row flipup mechanism in all MLs if I remember right.
  • Options
    barblesshook42barblesshook42 Member Posts: 8
    Noticed two weeks ago my 2000 ML430 was making a high pitched whistle that did not change as the engine idled or revved.

At my recent FSS A, I brought it up to the rep. "Sounds normal" was the response. I had him note it on the form anyway and when I returned to pick it up later that day, he informed me it was the fuel pump and sender(?) and that a replacement was in order. I believe he said the mechanic had recently read a bulletin to this effect.

Yesterday, I took it in to have the fuel lines, filter and pump replaced. A rather lengthy repair of 8 hours I'm told. So, thinking back to the recent accounts of fuel pumps suddenly quitting on a few vehicles on this board, I am glad I mentioned it the the rep.

The noise is highly audible, a soft high pitched whistle at idle or higher revs, cold or hot. If your hear it, have it looked at and you may save yourself some major hassle. The repair ticket refers to Tech 88 (don't know if that is a tech bulletin or something else).
  • Options
    sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    My wife's ML320 has 6000 miles and few days ago she has called me from the road and said at some point her oil level warning came up and mileage display was blinking. I have checked her oil level and it looks fine.

Now as of yesterday we have another problem: Gas Tank looks much lower than it supposed to, when full it shows 3/4.

I have called the dealer and here in NJ seems to be long wait for service - three weeks.

I wanted to find out if any of this happened to some of you and if I should be driving with the oil indicator on when it appears again. Thanks.
  • Options
    Barblesshook42, how many miles do you have on your ML when the fuel pump/sender started to whistle?
  • Options
    crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    Can anyone tell me if the 2000 ML430 has the electrically folding mirrors? I have been shopping for an SUV for the wife and munchkin, and had excluded the ML's due to what I thought would be sticker shock. But as I researched, I can get a Starmark 2000 ML430 with 10-15 thousand miles for less than a loaded 2001 Sequoia. So I have expanded my search. One of the features I really liked on the Sequoia was the electrically folding mirrors. Are they a feature on the 430? Also, are there any specific bugs/or option packages that I should be looking for in this model?

Thanks
  • Options
    barblesshook42barblesshook42 Member Posts: 8
    Had my FSS A at 12,000 miles. Noticed the whistle about 500 miles before that.
  • Options
    barbleshook42, thanks. That means if my fuel pump fails, it will be within the warranty period. I estimate I will put about 6000 miles on the ML the first year.
  • Options
    naylor99naylor99 Member Posts: 23
    I'm a bit stunned. I just tried to see what my '99 ML320 was worth in trade. M1, Bose, Black Opal/Tan, chrome brush bar and fogs, very nice condition, 51000 miles.

The stunner was $22,500. Ouch! Where is the famous MB resale value? Any thoughts?

--BN
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    True Market Value looks higher than that off-hand. You can also click on the Customized Appraisal button after you drill down to the ML320 and figure the miles, color and location factors into the equation (maybe you did this?).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    I have the 98 ml and will soon swap out into 2002 MDX, ML, or X5. i want to see what the new ml looks like and need the rear AC for kids. however, i am nervous about reliability of the newer models -- mine is constantly in the shop. can 01 owners respond with their opinion on reliability?? thx.
  • Options
    lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    My sister owns a lexus ls400 and she had her remote key (battery) changed free of charge and no question asked. Now that's customer service!
    What about MB? does anyone know?
  • Options
    My salesman promised I can bring my ML in for a free cash wash every week before the deal was closed. When I called the dealership to find out a good time to bring the car in, I was told they don't do free car washes anymore, where as the Lexus dealership 2 doors down the street is doing free car washes for all customers. (my next door neighbor bought a Lexus from them). Plus that Lexus dealership uses Lexus as loaner car, I had to drive a Buick the first time I brought my ML in. You be the judge on who wins on customer service/courtesy.
    Thought I share my experience with everyone, hope I didn't offend any die-hard MB fan. Have a nice weekend, guys!
  • Options
    All you have to do is tune into the m-class mailing list and you'd know. Even with the 1998/1999 models, we heard the same problems over and over; you could tell those models had lots of problems without buying them to find out yourself. With the 2000/2001 models, we've been spending our time talking about tires and accessories and the one or two squeaks that are common to them.
  • Options
    mckaypemckaype Member Posts: 5
    Yo,
    Too weird. I had a similar experience Wed 7/25 with my wife and her 01 ML 320 w/ 2500 miles. She filled up and it was 1/2 or so on the dash gauge. The next day we went to fill it just to be sure that it really was topped off, and I found that the fuel cap was not on tight. Topped it off (and tightened the cap until it clicked) and the gauge read full. Perhaps your wife didn't tighten the cap all the way?
    Good luck
    Pete
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    On car wash, I thought that was based on dealer to dealer. My dealer still offers car wash anytime you want to, although i wash my own car. On loaners, the dealership i go gives out MB as loaners, from the 2000 c-class to e-class. I think they also give out slk's as loaners. Other dealerships in our area don't offer MB's as loaners either. Are there other dealerships maybe in your area that offer these?
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    My dealer's service was terrible this last time, if I get surveyed by MB again I'm going to give them a score of zero point zero.

Loaners? Ha, my last two loaners were a Hyundai Elantra and a Toyota Corolla. Before that, Enterprise rent a car was too busy and I was shipped off to Joe's-Rent-A-Car on main street.

Based on my last few experiences with the service and my current problems with my car, I'm ready to look at Lexus next time, but they don't have anything that I want.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Sorry to hear about your poor service. Was this Phil Smart or Bellevue Barrier? Just curious, thanks.
  • Options
    Pete,
    Don't top off. You run the risk of flooding the evaporation canister that is supposed to trap gas vapors.
    I have no problems reaching full if you don't use the autofill feature of the hose. As soon as you start hearing the gas gurgle, slow the fill rate down by hand.
  • Options
    imissmyslkimissmyslk Member Posts: 10
    I just took delivery of an '01 ML320 w/ Skyview, M1, M2 & Bose. So far 500 miles two defects.

1. Sometimes when I take the key out of the ignition and open the door the warning bell goes off as if the key still is in the ignition. Sometimes this happens only after I turn the steering wheel into the locked position. If that were it, it would be a minor issue. However, twice now I have returned to my truck after a sound night's sleep to find that the remote will not open the doors. After manually unlocking the vehicle and having the alarm go off and then putting the key in the ignition, the remote works again. One of the two times this happened, the trip computer also completely reset itself (the date was December, 2001). I'm betting I have a bad steering wheel switch lock thingamabob. Has this happened to anyone?

2. My second problem is a creaky wind deflector for the Skyview. In the wind and when I go over bumps, one side creaks as if the plastic is rubbing against another part. Is this common?

Otherwise, I really like the vehicle. I almost don't miss my SLK.
  • Options
    imissmyslkimissmyslk Member Posts: 10
    Did every ML on the planet crash and kill all owners and enthusiasts? Or was my prior post so mind numbingly dumb that everyone has gone off and bought an BMW or a Disco II?
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    LOL, more likely that they've been out enjoying their MLs this weekend! If the ML crashes or rolls over, you'll probably survive ;-)

Your first problem sounds like either a weak battery, or your key needs to be re-synced. The procedure is in the owner's manual. You may also want to try using the other key temporarily to see if this also happens. If it does, then you know that it's something else. Just so you know, do not hang any other immobiliser chip equipped car keys on the same fob as the ML's keys. It's also not a good idea to have a big bundle of keys attached to the ML's key fob.

I haven't heard that problem about the Skyview deflector, but perhaps you may want to try some silicon spray.

Most important thing is to demonstrate both of these problems to your MB service technician or shop foreman. That way they will know what is happening and will be able to properly diagnose/fix it. I know that intermittent problems can be very annoying.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    For now anyway :-)
  • Options
    imissmyslk - My '00 ML w/skyview has 22K miles on it and the air deflector doesn't make any creaking sounds.
    Are all the connections tight?

Gas gauge - On Friday I actually read the sticker MB puts on the fuel cap and it says to turn it until it clicks 3 times. Maybe they actually mean it here.

Loaners - My dealer gives 'C's and at least one 'ML' if you reserve in advance. I've found they relax that rule when you bring your ML back a second time because they did not fix something they said they would the first time.

Reliability - Once they did fix everything the only problems seems to be the odd rattles, most of which are intermitten depending on the road.

Lexus - I don't deny their average reliability may be better than MB's, but if you read enough of their bulletin boards you find their cars aren't perfect either (my favorite was one that burst into flames). Regardless of that, the RX is not 'Lexus quiet' and I didn't enjoy driving it. Its very nice transportation but not a 'drivers' car.
  • Options
    djdj:
    Yes, if you don't do this, the check engine light will be on for a few fillups. It has to be a tight seal or it won't meet regulations. Cars after 1998 have this feature as well.
  • Options
    lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    I read in the manual it said min. 91 octane but I have been pumping 93. Will it hurt my ML if I just use 91? Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    According to the owner's manual, octane 91 or higher is just fine. You can use regular or mid-grade if you really cannot find premium, but you should switch back to premium ASAP (preferably for the next tank).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards