Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How Much Car Insurance Do You Need?

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageHow Much Car Insurance Do You Need?

Are you underinsured? Find out how much Auto Insurance coverage you need. Get a breakdown of state requirements and general car insurance advice from Edmunds.

Read the full story here

Comments

• teendriversteendrivers Member Posts: 1
    Great article. It´s the first time I´ve seen a complete list of liability limits and having teenagers to insure, this has been one of the best articles I´ve come across on the topic of what each type of cover entails and what is a safe level of insurance to have.

Steve
  • clachnitclachnit Member Posts: 35
    Thanks, Steve. We've just updated the list, since some states' laws changed in 2011. Now only N.H. that has no liability-coverage requirement.

--Carroll Lachnit, features editor, Edmunds.com
  • tomshalluetomshallue Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    I recommend at least one level up from state minimum coverage:

ex. Texas, minimum liability 30/60/25. You should carry 50/100/50 liability to make sure you have enough coverage and carry UM/UIM coverage of 50/100/50!!!!!! People don't realize that state-required liability coverage protects other people in an accident but it's UM/UIM coverage that protects YOU in an accident.

[non-permissible content removed]
  • tootsieburpeetootsieburpee Member Posts: 2
    All insurance companies try to run and hide when you file a claim. It's probably better just to get the cheapest possible insurance and hope/pray that you don't have an accident. I found 25/month rates (thru Insurance Panda) and always looking for cheaper.

Also - I think there is no such thing as "customer loyalty" when it comes to auto insurance. If you've been with a company too long, chances are you are being screwed!