Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck Gets Serious Consideration

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Jeep
imageJeep Wrangler Pickup Truck Gets Serious Consideration

Jeep is considering adding a Wrangler-based pickup truck to its product portfolio.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I just want the Mighty FC concept truck. I would buy THAT, not the awkward looking thing pictured above.
  • Options
    pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    Please just keep it light, simple, and reasonably priced. I can't stand all of the big 3's enormous luxe-barges masquerading as working vehicles
  • Options
    soakee_soakee_ Member Posts: 14
    Talk of Wrangler Pickup brings to my mind thoughts of the Jeep Scrambler. Hello, anyone remember those?
  • Options
    ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    Why not Jeep, considering how every maker is leaving this midsized truck market to focus on fullsize only. I love the fullsized trucks but midsized fits me better for my needs and I have always liked how a midsized was better in the dirt and offroad.
  • Options
    moparfan5moparfan5 Member Posts: 11
    they should quit talking and build the damn thing
  • Options
    autowatcherautowatcher Member Posts: 1
    A mid sized one a little smaller than the Dakota or Ranger. Diesel engine 4WD, my mouth is watering. This would open a new non conflict with RAM. Don't wait for someone else to do it, the Jeep Brand is hot, and this one will really keep it hot. It'a a total no brainer. Not just the US but the whole WORLD wants it. Stop making chatter & get going. If you snooze, you loose!!!!!!
  • Options
    lynnmonsonlynnmonson Member Posts: 1
    would love to see Jeep bring back A pick up truck then we can REALLY go places!!!
  • Options
    defender1defender1 Member Posts: 2
    In Britain, I own Land Rover Defenders which are loosely based from the Jeep originals and the models have conquered the world. In my opinion, Jeep need to get cracking and build modestly-priced Jeep Gladiator or J12 pickup since there's clearly a need for a small-medium, GP pickup truck in the US and further afield.

My 1992 Defender 90 is the stalwart of the iconic range and it has a 2.5Tdi 'bullet-proof' engine but in all other areas the vehicle is strictly utilitarian. Naturally it cannot meet with EPA's current legislation but there is a huge demand (as can be seen in the US Defender sites) or this vehicle type in the US and Jeep could go a long way to recapture that market, if they modernised an offering like the Gladiator or J12.

Keep it light in construction with an alloy 1.5-2.0lt gas engine and a 2.5lt diesel option. Selectable AWD, since many people would use 2WD on-road and this would further improve mpg, as would an optional manual gearbox but for the US, an automatic gearbox is almost a must-have. Give it decent ground-clearance, coil-springs , air-con and a versatile bed-length & weight capacity as well as models in single-cab and double-cab form with options from the Defender-like utilitarian to 'city-slickers' expectations and at a price which undercuts the base Toyota Tacoma and Jeep will never look back.